Spotting Flares Useless? Scout's function?

Arkaelov
66 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
While I do think spotting flares were OP in the beta, I feel they've been nerfed into the ground. The radius in which the flares spot enemies is smaller than a single house, while lasting for a very brief amount of time. The only reason a scout that played the objective was viable in BF1 and in the beta for BFV was the fact that flares were very useful to their team. Now I can (maybe) flare a single house to tell if there are enemies inside. This, compounded with the bolt-action sniper rifle nerf, has driven me almost completely away from even wanting to touch the scout class. Their long range capability is now hindered with bolt actions doing 50-60 damage for a center of mass shot, and close range with the spotting flare nerf.

I don't know, I feel like scouts are just in a very rough spot at the launch of the game. The only viable playstyle I can find is to sprint around with a semi-auto rifle and a 3x scope, essentially as an Assault with less utility. The only worth while thing they have now is the respawn beacon, which is nice, though I've always thought of it as a cheap gadget to try and pad the already inadequate kit of the scout class.

Comments

• Arkaelov
    66 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    Are you firing your flares up into the air? They work differently in BFV

Have to be fired up into the air, where they have the largest revealing radius, then it gets smaller until it touches the ground

Yes, I am. And compared to the beta, the radius of the flare's spotting zone seems much smaller and it doesn't last as long.
  • Ploodovic
    1032 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Arkaelov wrote: »

Have to be fired up into the air, where they have the largest revealing radius, then it gets smaller until it touches the ground

Yes, I am. And compared to the beta, the radius of the flare's spotting zone seems much smaller and it doesn't last as long.

Are they still 3D spotting the enemies, though? I thought that was a bit too good in the beta.
  • UsTinKofFEAR-3Lk
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    BF just isn't fun anymore that's the bottom line
  • Skitelz7
    264 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Anything that spots enemies has to go.
    It's such a noob mechanic that I'm not even gonna go into it.
  • Skitelz7
    264 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Ploodovic wrote: »

Are they still 3D spotting the enemies, though? I thought that was a bit too good in the beta.

Flares never did 3D spotting... Not even in BF1. Are you drunk?
  • Ploodovic
    1032 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Skitelz7 wrote: »

I’m not drunk. BF1 flares do not 3D spot, but in the BFV beta they did. My question is whether they still do in the full release.
  • Skitelz7

I’m not drunk. BF1 flares do not 3D spot, but in the BFV beta they did. My question is whether they still do in the full release.

They didn't in the BFV beta. At least not on the Xbox.
  • Ploodovic

They didn't in the BFV beta. At least not on the Xbox.

They did on PS4. Have you tried the full release and know the answer to my question?
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    3912 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yes, radius and effective time of flares have been nerfed drastically for unknown reason. Even in beta those weren't as great as in bf1. And now you can't even help the team with those. And because of weird gadget distribution you can't equip AP mine with spawn beacon to be more useful. Recon as a class has really been smashed to the ground in this game.
  • dA_9_eL_81
    1488 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    ... Recon as a class has really been smashed to the ground in this game.

Sounds awesome... I think I might cancel my cancelation of the Deluxe version...
  • l_water_l
    1245 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Recon had to have a damage Nerf from previous games because there is no regening health. People are running around with half health so 50-60 dmg per shot is fine.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    3912 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    l_water_l wrote: »
    Recon had to have a damage Nerf from previous games because there is no regening health. People are running around with half health so 50-60 dmg per shot is fine.

The thing is bolt action rifle is the weakest weapon in the game currently because it has only one questionable ability to OHK in the head. And there is no reason to use them while self-loaders exist and those are better and more effective.
  • MachoFantast1c0
    1234 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yes, radius and effective time of flares have been nerfed drastically for unknown reason. Even in beta those weren't as great as in bf1. And now you can't even help the team with those. And because of weird gadget distribution you can't equip AP mine with spawn beacon to be more useful. Recon as a class has really been smashed to the ground in this game.

I didn't have time to test this out myself, but this sounds depressing. Did they remove the 3D spotting as well?
  • NLBartmaN
    1893 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Recon as a class has really been smashed to the ground in this game.

You are forgetting the OP instant kill throwing knives ..

You can just fight close combat and contantly instant kill enemies, even when they have a SMG .. you will hit faster and with more damage, so you will win.
  • llPhantom_Limbll

I didn't have time to test this out myself, but this sounds depressing. Did they remove the 3D spotting as well?

I can't tell for sure because it took me some really painful rounds to reach Recon lvl 4 (you've been a witness of one such rounds on Aerodrome yesterday) and I haven't played with flares much mostly because you still can't unlock new weapons or gadgets while playing and have to leave the server and do that in menu only. But from the time I used flares, those aren't really effective most of the time.
  • MachoFantast1c0
    1234 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I can't tell for sure because it took me some really painful rounds to reach Recon lvl 4 (you've been a witness of one such rounds on Aerodrome yesterday) and I haven't played with flares much mostly because you still can't unlock new weapons or gadgets while playing and have to leave the server and do that in menu only. But from the time I used flares, those aren't really effective most of the time.

Lol yeah I had those myself plenty, luckily I'm not averse to punishing myself. What grinds my gears is that the contrast between class effectiveness has only increased. Just equip the SIG KE-7 and profit. Hard hitting and no recoil to speak of, accurate to an inch. But no, I gotta do the scout thing, even if I get my **** whooped.
  • dandop_oq7r7ppf
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    My suggestion would be to use your spotting scope more. This is a very overlooked gadget.
    If I’m moving towards an enemy flag I will use it to spot anyone well out of my range of engagement, and it helps any of my team that is closer to the flag.

Also didn’t the Sniper trait get changed to mark enemies you damage with a sniper? At least if you damage a player a teammate can hunt them down and finish them off.
  • Skitelz7

Great!
    I hope they remove it completely.
    Spotting flares is for noobs.
  • MachoFantast1c0
    The flares are a joke now.