How to Dogfight

r_christman1286
77 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Has anyone figured out how to properly dogfight when two fighter planes are against each other?

In Battlefield 3 and 4 it was a game to keep your speed at a particular value so you could turn faster. Is that mechanic still in this game? Every time a fighter gets behind me there is absolutely nothing I can do to shake him.

Comments

• dmccar1001
    627 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Turn hard (in the direction he is approaching) and slow down to spit him out in front and then reverse turn and accelerate is a good start. Else google air to air combat BFM
  • r_christman1286
    I’m talking about when they’re already behind you
  • g0merpile
    753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    I’m talking about when they’re already behind you

This takes team work, wing man and AA, communicate to your wing man and stick with them. Communicate to AA lead them to the AA. Battle formation is very important to stay alive. Remember to die in your craft.
  • r_christman1286
    There’s no way to shake them? No sweet spot for turning speed?
  • ENBLOC8PING
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    There are probably a ton of dogfighting tips on YouTube. But here are a couple suggestions that can be applied as appropriate for shaking an opponent or attacking:
    • If you just stand the plane on its wing and pull on the stick, sweet spot or no, it's just a turning match with your opponent and you probably won't gain an advantage. The plane moves in three dimensions and has three sets of control surfaces. Use them all. Put a vertical element into your turn so you can change your airspeed and position without having to pull back on the throttle so much.
    • If an attacker overshoots you in a pass, turn towards him and at least deny him a longer firing window when he turns back to attack again. If you repeat this process skillfully enough, you might even be able to get the attacker to put himself in front of your guns and reverse the roles in the dogfight.

• EdwinSpangler
    1843 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    There’s no way to shake them? No sweet spot for turning speed?

As soon as they get behind you the best thing I have found is slow down, then 180 and pull up, straight up.. Thats your best chance at losing him by making him pass you.
  • Banhammer72
    416 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    I wish planes would spend more time Dog fighting and not farming infantry kills.
  • l_water_l
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    If you turn your plane almost all the way upside-down in a turn and use your rudder to turn you will turn a lot faster than you would normally however you will lose altitude. It's a good way to keep a spitfire on the tail of a German 109. It's also a good way to get a burst of speed for a second to get out of their immediate view (if they were stupid enough to get really close) and then slam on the brakes by pulling straight up and throttling back. Again, altitude is your friend because without it your options get more and more limited.
  • motojdr6
    183 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    There a few ways to do it, but it’s hard to shake people in this game without stalling. Stalling is the meta while using obstacles on the ground imo. Bombers should use their turrets though, this counts for fighters and the mosquito and Stuka.

GROUND STALLING: Practice flying towards the ground, and then breaking hard and banking up to the top left or right. The goal is to slow down so much that you’re basically “riding” on the stall/ landing speed. If you get really good at it, you can fly your plane around like it’s wheelying/ drifting over the ground at a 45 degree angle. You can get so good you can basically barrel into the ground and drift around quite slowly, making it very difficult for you enemy to keep you in his crosshairs. Most likely you will get shot up a little bit, but your enemy will either have to overshoot you or crash (provided they aren’t equally as good with this technique). Your enemy should pass over you wing, and when he realises it was a trap, he’ll try aggressively circling away from you. Even if your shot up badly, nows the time to use “wing repair” and be ready to chase him down. Requires practice but you’ll smoke people doing this. You can also use this technique to pass an objective area really slowly to see if you can spot some enemies, be careful of getting rpg’d. I think if you get super good at this, you may even be able to assist with or cap flags by stalling directly upward and riding the throttle.

AIR STALLING: Bank upwards hard, and try come to a complete stop, 180, and then try to face the enemy plane. It’s super risky as you could end up giving you enemy a free kill, so I only use this move when I’ve done something like 1. Fly under the bridge in twisted steel and immediately bank upwards into a stall, hopefully spitting the enemy out just below me. 2. On Fjell, bank hard into a mountain at a really tight angle one you get to know the limits of your plane, facing upwards, stall and try and shake your enemy off your tail.

FLIGHT CEILING: I haven’t tried this, but there is a perk allowing you to fly 100meters higher than others. Flying into the flight ceiling causes you plane to get stuck for a number of seconds. This one could be great especially for bombers with a rear gun, make the fighter behind you get stuck of the ceiling and switch to your rear gun and it should be fish in a barrel. Not sure how useful this is, but if everyone gets good at stalling this might be another alternative.

DONT FLY PREDICTABLY: Funny how many people do this still, even the good pilots. When a sniper is shooting at you, you zig zag. Kinda same theory for a plane. Fly like a spastic. DONT IMMEDIATELY GO INTO A LONG HARD TURN WHEN YOUR BEING SHOT!!! You just expose the top of your plane making yourself a giant target. Personally I go straight into an erratic swirling barrel roll, trying to mix in hard breaking turns. The goal isn’t to shake this person off, just make sure barely any of their shots land. I head to ground, pass an object where I can break line of sight, then start pulling out stalls and hard breaking moves into objects I’ve lined up. Forcing the enemy following me to either commit to following me into a hairy stall he’s not prepared for or breaking off.

USE YOUR AA: Keep an eye out for friendly AA turrets. Then just fly right in front of them fling erratically. Once your enemy breaks off, chase them for the kill.

There are some YouTube videos that also explain manoeuvres how to get out of a circle jerk, it takes too long to type, but googling those will help. If your enemy has air radar though it dosent work well.
  • l_water_l
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    You can also make the bf109 stall out completely vertical but not lose any altitude. It will make the plane kinda act like a helicopter which is funny and I don't think they intended this to happen.
  • Zviko0
    1718 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think loadout is very important in dogfights as well. Increased maneuverability is very noticable and radar helps a lot. (Btw, on German side play with G2 and go down the right side with your upgrades. Imo, the best loadout in the game by far.).

Like others said, It's much easier on higher altitudes as you have a lot of options but ground can be your friend as well. Using obstacles to your advantage since you know your next move and your enemy doesn't which is very dangerous for him. Also he loses sight every time you switch and then the most effective way is sudden braking which he won't expect and he will always overshoot if he is close enough or at least you'll shake him off. That's when radar helps so much. Have 2 examples here.

Not saying I'm a pro or anything but I have some experience and this almost always works. Not so much in Narvik or Hamada. There you'll just have to use altitude more but sudden braking is always very effective.
  • dayglowfroggy
    623 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Nice videos. I have just managed to get a flight stick set up properly on the xbox using a xim and vow to learn how to fly.
    Now the game had been generally released there will be more noob flyers like me up till now I have nearly lasted 2 minutes but all the flyers were experts and I haven't stood a chance.
    Can't wait for the training ground on December the 4th.
  • Gee_aai_ooo
    24 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    find enemy plane -> hope its not a godawfully HP op bomber -> hope theres no basement dwellers sitting on their base AA -> proceed dogfight.
  • unhinged_liberal
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I'm so used to hardcore mode I couldn't figure out how I was getting peppered so bad and so fast, 3rd person.... Use that to your advantage... I'm still learning
  • DJ_Raybanz
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I find that the throttle is your friend. Maneuverability is increased with more throttle. I tend to take the line-of-sight approach to my fights. Fast and low on the deck. As mentioned above, don't be predictable with your hard banking turns as it does make you a bigger target. I also find that hard switchbacks work well (get the aggressor thinking you're committing to a hard turn and roll/bank the other way - ie: begin a hard left bank...pop smoke...roll hard right and change directions) and combined with the mentioned smokescreen upgrade, is a great way to evade.
  • Hawxxeye
    7748 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I wish planes would spend more time Dog fighting and not farming infantry kills.
    They actually do, you just do not noticed them when they are doing it cause it is not hurting you down there
  • SpeedBird219
    175 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm so used to hardcore mode I couldn't figure out how I was getting peppered so bad and so fast, 3rd person.... Use that to your advantage... I'm still learning

I’m using 3rd person too while I get used to the new game, because I prefer cockpit view normally. It’s crazy how much easier it is to keep track of enemies.
  • Zviko0
    1718 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Adding to my previous post, you can even go further than just braking and land your plane. :D In the 2nd clip, you can even hear him crash while trying to get in behind again. I literally laughed out loud here. :D

• Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I need to get a controller for my PC to start flying again. I hate mouse and keyboard for flying. Constantly having to pull back on your mouse to lift or descend is annoying. Joysticks are so much more useful for that. I haven't really flown since BF3 when I was playing on my friend's 360.