Terrible FPS - 3570K | GTX 1060

Saffa05
5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited November 2018
I'm getting frustratingly low frames of 55-65FPS on avg in quieter areas like spawn areas, and I get sporadic yet crippling stuttering when taking hits in firefights. This is with graphics settings set to manual and everything as low as possible. 1v1 with a stutter + an FPS drop to 45-50FPS is a death sentence for me in-game and possibly my PC if this continues. The rage is real.

Initially I tried BFV with my old Nvidia drivers (if it ain't broke don't fix it, especially with Nvidia, especially with Windows), found I got **** performance, then updated to the latest.

My RAM usage is 6.9/7.9GB according to Windows. My GPU and CPU temps are all <60°Cels.

Currently I'm running:
[email protected]
GTX 1060 6GB Stock
8GB RAM 1333MHz
BF V installed on a 256GB SSD

As a footnote I will add that at the start of BF 1 I had beautiful, butter-smooth performance, however, 2 weeks ago I reinstalled and found myself struggling to hit 60FPS, even on low. Could this be a Windows related issue?

ANY help or even input would be appreciated.

Comments

• L0rdZip
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    Your cpu and ram are bottlenecking your GPU. Even my much faster I7 4770K and 12gb 2400mhz ram are still bottlenecking my GTX 970 (which is slower than your 1060). BF5 requires atleast a 6-core with fast 3200mhz DDR4 if you don't want fps-dips.

So your problems have nothing to do with graphics drivers, ingame graphics settings or windows versions. Only a new cpu will fix your issue. You could buy a used I7 3770K but I personally wouldn't bother because your ram could also use replacing which would make it too costly.
  • HydroExcursion
    171 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    8GB to poor.
    sorry
  • secaree
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    L0rdZip wrote: »
    BF5 requires atleast a 6-core with fast 3200mhz DDR4 if you don't want fps-dips.

What is your source for this? Why does it require 3200?
  • McFoaners
    351 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Your cpu is well below minimum specs. That and the fact you only have 8gb of ram are the sole reason for your bad experience. There is no cfg file or gimmick that can help you. Time to upgrade your components.
  • Gen_Ch0pper
    67 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The CPU is the bottleneck and to some degree the RAM as well.
    BF1 is the only game that pushed my old system to a CPU bottleneck on an I5-3570k @ 4.2Ghz , so I upgraded to an eight-core for BFV.
  • blerooooo
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    There are people with last gen i7 and 16GB DDR4 with same issues, so spending money on upgrade isn't 100% guarantee that it will work.
    The game is just extremely unoptimized. It doesn't even visually look like it would require high end hardware to run on 1080p/ low.
  • McFoaners
    351 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    blerooooo wrote: »
    There are people with last gen i7 and 16GB DDR4 with same issues, so spending money on upgrade isn't 100% guarantee that it will work.
    The game is just extremely unoptimized. It doesn't even visually look like it would require high end hardware to run on 1080p/ low.

People having problems with last gen i7 and 16 gb of ram have somehow screwed their system up. This game is very optimized and smooth sailing with 6700k, 16 gb of ram and rtx 2070.
  • eLGust4vo
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    try this.
    High Dinamic Range OFF
    Future Frame rendering ON
    Vertical Sync OFF

And runs medium- low with in my i5 and 1050 between 50 to 80 fps :smile:
  • Multiplicity1984
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I will agree your CPU has aged a good deal. It's multiple generations old by now. I will also say 8 gigs of RAM is pushing it these days. My PC typically uses 13-14 GB of system memory when playing BF5 and my system has 32GB of 2600MHz DDR4 RAM. With your CPU, I'm assuming your motherboard only supports DDR3 memory. If that's a case, getting more memory should be relatively cheap to purchase (particularly with Black Friday), but I don't know your financial situation, so I'm not even sure that's an option for you.

You might want to install some monitoring software to keep an eye on your PC's resource usage when playing BF5. May give you an idea what parts of your computer are struggling.
  • Saffa05
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Overclocking to 4.4Hz has made an ENORMOUS difference. I've set the max frames to 62, so at the moment I'm not sure what the 'real' avg FPS is, but it's at max FPS 99% of the time, occasionally dipping to maybe 58 before immediately shooting back up to max.

Right now I'm running my CPU at 4.4GHz at 1.3v, although I want to try experimenting with lower voltages. And fnally, so far I've only experimented with frontlines, a 32-man sized mode.
  • Malzius
    87 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Your cpu and ram are bottlenecking your GPU. Even my much faster I7 4770K and 12gb 2400mhz ram are still bottlenecking my GTX 970 (which is slower than your 1060). BF5 requires atleast a 6-core with fast 3200mhz DDR4 if you don't want fps-dips.

So your problems have nothing to do with graphics drivers, ingame graphics settings or windows versions. Only a new cpu will fix your issue. You could buy a used I7 3770K but I personally wouldn't bother because your ram could also use replacing which would make it too costly.

bfv doesnt need 6 cores, im playing on a 7700k at 5.05 ghz and a 1080ti at 1440p and i get over 144 fps most of the time, with custom settings

in conquest or breaktrough i never dip below 135 fps
  • B0ng0_Banger
    1119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    McFoaners wrote: »
    Your cpu is well below minimum specs.

recommended cpu = ryzen 1300x
    3570k>1300x
  • L0rdZip
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    Malzius wrote: »

bfv doesnt need 6 cores, im playing on a 7700k at 5.05 ghz and a 1080ti at 1440p and i get over 144 fps most of the time, with custom settings

Even your fancy 7700K will run into fps-dips from time to time, such is the reality of a quad core in late 2018. By the way: the map in your video, Hamada, is the least cpu intensive level in the game so good choice for showing off your cpu.
  • Malzius
    87 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    Malzius wrote: »

Even your fancy 7700K will run into fps-dips from time to time, such is the reality of a quad core in late 2018. By the way: the map in your video, Hamada, is the least cpu intensive level in the game so good choice for showing off your cpu.

i can record in another game mod or map, just chose it, i get really good fps with those settings, i would get maybe 10 % more with a 8700k maybe 15 % more fps, so my cpu is only a small bottleneck for now, i dont play at ultra, fact is a 1060 wont be bottleneck much by his cpu, on a 1080ti or 2080 or 2080ti it would, i agree that 1333 mhz ddr3 is a huge bottle neck tho especially for minimum fps and the 8 gb ram

the point is not showing off, im just sharing my settings so people can enjoy good fps, its feasible even with a quad core 8 threads still, the 7700k is still a very good gaming cpu, few games uses more than four core still, bfv is one of the few yet, and i get very good performance in 1440p, but i have 16 gig of ddr 4 at 3733 mhz so that for sure is helping my minimum fps, also i spent countless hours tweaking my overclock and ram overclock, countless hours benching also, im uploading a video in aerodrome in conquest, i recorded first game i joined ill post it soon with the settings i posted above, i still get very good fps in a 64 players map with more action
    Post edited by Malzius on
  • Malzius

so there it is, feel free to tell me a map and game mod and ill record it when i play it and post it
  • Malzius
    edited November 2018
    To saffa, you try to overclock your ddr3 to at least 1600mhz, it should be easily doable in the bios by loosening the timing a bit maybe you wont even have to loosen them and if you re lucky you could push it to 1800mhz but you would prolly have to increase the voltage on it as well
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1066 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    Sorry to say this but your specs are too low for 2018 titles. My 1060gtx(oC'd) is barely handling recent titles, pretty sure won't be able to in near future unless I decide to compromise too much graphics quality.
    My 7700k @ 4.8 is still holding but not for very long I'm afraid.
    Thinking about a 9700k + 2080 upgrade soon.
  • Malzius
    Sorry to say this but your specs are too low for 2018 titles. My 1060gtx(oC'd) is barely handling recent titles, pretty sure won't be able to in near future unless I decide to compromise too much graphics quality.
    My 7700k @ 4.8 is still holding but not for very long I'm afraid.
    Thinking about a 9700k + 2080 upgrade soon.

i would say the 7700k is good for another 2 years honestly, anyway i have a ryzen 2700x on the way for my second pc, i might end up swapping some component in it if the ryzen 2700x holds up better in the future, but for now the 7700k at 5 ghz is really good for gaming still
  • 5hadyBrady
    349 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    These guys will always attack the weakest part of your system, and blame it all on some random specification you're running. It's not. I have a 7700K and a GTX1080 and there are maps where I struggle to get 60fps with nerfed graphics on 1440p. I get 90+ in BF1 with everything on Ultra at 1440p. So there's a significant demand in BF5 , and you're likely to see it with all combinations of hardware. The good news is, the difference between lower settings and higher settings aren't as noticeable as they were in the past. There's not very much aliasing, or artifacts with lower settings.

Edit * Most hardware. I'm sure if you buy a 9900K and a 2080ti you'll see 120+ frames always. The problem is, that will cost you a kidney.
  • 5hadyBrady
    349 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    secaree wrote: »
    BF5 requires atleast a 6-core with fast 3200mhz DDR4 if you don't want fps-dips.

What is your source for this? Why does it require 3200?

He's probably talking about Ryzen. Ryzen performs extremely better with higher clocked ram, up to 3200mghz. There's like a 20fps difference between 2133 and 3000mghz in some games with ryzen cpu's. It's insane, because once you factor in the cost of higher clocked ram, and a better motherboard for power delivery, ryzen isn't actually that much cheaper than it's superior competition (in gaming). At that point it's like a 2 to 5% delta in cost , or "price to performance", and the intel chips have 0 stability issues, and perform better. So I don't know what the excuse is. I guess I shouldn't complain , because these people are ultimately taking one for the team in the free market.