New to Multiplayer FPS

Subtle54
1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I"m 65 and new to FPS, is this Title suitable to learn on? Or am I going to get haranged in chat for being stupid? Thinking of rolling as Medic, then at least I might be of a little use while learning. Only played EVE and WOW, else singleplayer RPGs.

Comments

• HALC0NX4
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Bad choice to learn FPS bud, google FPS history and types modes.
    That will give you your answer, for learn curve.
    But respect to your question my opinion ............. NO.......is not, but try to have fun playing this thing.

Remember, there is not stupid questions, just questions... but stupid people exist .

Good luck and welcome to THE nightmare of FPS world.

cheers

• Callahan44er
    5062 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited September 2018
    I think bf is great to start. You dont need fast reflexes or great aim and can still be pretty good if you outplay your enemies. Medic is a great choice. Watch some tutorials on youtube to waste no time. Bf is more then run and gun,play smart and always have a plan b in mind if you have to fall back. And have fun!
  • BigF33t_13
    6652 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    It takes practice and time to get used to all the features and to get used to the mechanics of the game. Don't worry about your performance or what people say in chat. There's trolls in every game, but there's still quite a few in the community that would be happy to answer basic questions and help out. Welcome to the addicting world of the first person shooter, and just have fun with it. If you don't feel like dealing with peoples crap, the H key disables text chat. Hit H to re enable it.
  • FritzCT
    304 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    OP just go for it. I'm 52 and generally slowing down. I also have Type 1 diabetes so my eyesight is variable and I get hand shakes depending on my sugar levels.

You're going to hit a quite steep learning curve but keep with it. This series isn't all run and gun; strategy is a big part of it although frankly a lots of players seem not to realise (or perhaps have forgotten) that. Some of my most enjoyable games have been sneaking past enemy lines and out flanking them. Although there's also something to be said for charging at the frontline on a horse swinging your saber over your head as even that strategy works on occasion.

Map knowledge is crucial though so stick to one you feel most comfortable with until you get the hang of things. Same regarding weapons.

As others have said have a look on you tube for some tutorials as well.

There are also gaming clans that specifically cater for the more mature gamer such as us so may be worth googling that.

Last thing.

As Medic drop meds and revive ALL the time.

As Support drop ammo ALL the time.

As Assault take out the heavy armour ALL the time.

As Recon..well, just don't become a hill humper

And SPOT ALL the time.
  • Kompura
    239 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Start slow, don't the first one rushing to flags or corridors, you will die, and die again and again. Get to know weapons and aiming, it'll take time. But don't start to camp either, people hate those.
  • CSO7777
    1081 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2018
    Learn to minimize time in open areas and be behind cover as much as possible. Try to move around the map in a way that doesn't expose you to too many angles and don't ever stay in one spot for too long. In general be as defensive as possible (but still playing the objectives/helping the team).

As said ealier, don't be the first on flags and always try to stay close to squad/teammates, strength in numbers is a big part of this game.

Playing support with a (scoped) LMG and "camping" (still constantly moving/staying close to teammates) is actually a good way of learning how other people move around. Many LMG's works pretty good at medium/long range and is best played defensively. You can also get a fair number of points just by dropping ammo and really helping your team. LMGs are pretty forgiving to use/aim with.

Remember you can adjust zoom of your weapon (customization), using 2 x zoom on your sights can make it easier to see enemies - this goes for all weapons (scopes are another story).
  • Subtle54
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thank you for all the respones, on here and the messages.
  • FearNoTears
    146 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    No. Get BF4. 10x better game, more too do and 100x more fun.
  • CSO7777
    1081 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I just played BF4 after several years.

BF4 is much more chaotic than BF1 and the gameplay is more fast-paced (TTK is faster). I think BF1 is easier to get into, especially because of the more defined roles of infantry. BF4 also has more vehicles and gadgets, which makes it even more confusing for new players.

Whether BF4 is more fun is another story - it's can be very very good, but often also very very bad. There are so many awful maps in BF4 (more so than BF1) and the vehicle/infantry balance is even worse than BF1.
  • FearNoTears
    146 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    CSO7777 wrote: »

I just played BF4 after several years.

BF4 is much more chaotic than BF1 and the gameplay is more fast-paced (TTK is faster). I think BF1 is easier to get into, especially because of the more defined roles of infantry. BF4 also has more vehicles and gadgets, which makes it even more confusing for new players.

Whether BF4 is more fun is another story - it's can be very very good, but often also very very bad. There are so many awful maps in BF4 (more so than BF1) and the vehicle/infantry balance is even worse than BF1.

BF should be chaotic. 2nd though make it BF3 or BF2. Less noobing and more of a learning curve. BF1 is just run and gun in a straight line. BF3-4 gives more of a BF experience. And also has run and gun maps.
  • CSO7777
    BF should be chaotic. 2nd though make it BF3 or BF2. Less noobing and more of a learning curve. BF1 is just run and gun in a straight line. BF3-4 gives more of a BF experience. And also has run and gun maps.
    That is a matter of opinion. A lot of BF4's gadgets and the spotting/minimap-system is as noobish as anything in BF1.

But in this case, for a new player who wants to learn to play FPS-games, BF4's chaos will only make it a much more frustrating experience.
  • StingX71
    812 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If you're new to FPS MP, it doesn't matter what title you learn on, it will be extremely frustrating for you. Having said that, I play with a guy in his 70's. Awful kill/death ratio, but ends up in the top 5 as he plays the objectives and plays his class well.

I recommend camping for a new player, learn the lay of the land and get your mouse setting dialed in for your play style. Field of view (FOV), Mouse DPI, game sensitivity, all factor in when tweaking your mouse.

Play the outside of the map, reduces the amount of places people can shoot you from. Amazes me how players run down the middle of town road and wonder why they keep getting shot.

• CSO7777
    edited September 2018
    StingX71 wrote: »
    Field of view (FOV), Mouse DPI, game sensitivity, all factor in when tweaking your mouse.

I played FPS-games for many years before I began to take my mouse-settings serious. But it really improved my aiming a lot.

Get a non-accelerating mouse (cheap gaming mouse normally does the trick), and use a low sensitivity (I use 800DPI, 7% sensitivity). This will really improve your aiming. A lower sensitivity makes you move your mouse more (physically), which makes precise aiming easier and this could also reduce strain on shoulders, elbows etc. It will feel a little akward in the beginning, but in the long run it will really benefit you (you need a bigger mousemat for this also).

When you find a setting thats feels good, use the same distance (for a 360-turn) in all FPS-games (settings will be different from game to game, use a tape-measure). This way you build consistant muscle-memory.
  • FearNoTears
    That is a matter of opinion. A lot of BF4's gadgets and the spotting/minimap-system is as noobish as anything in BF1.

But in this case, for a new player who wants to learn to play FPS-games, BF4's chaos will only make it a much more frustrating experience.

He can learn on any game. I personal just think the modern BF3 or BF4 is more fun. But, if he likes the old vs modern then so be it.
    There's nothing wrong with spotting or the minimap, but all the gadgets and lock ons in BF4 defeats the purpose of it being a competitive game. Get rid of all that crap and you have BF3.
  • StingX71
    812 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    StingX71 wrote: »
    Field of view (FOV), Mouse DPI, game sensitivity, all factor in when tweaking your mouse.

I played FPS-games for many years before I began to take my mouse-settings serious. But it really improved my aiming a lot.

Get a non-accelerating mouse (cheap gaming mouse normally does the trick), and use a low sensitivity (I use 800DPI, 7% sensitivity). This will really improve your aiming. A lower sensitivity makes you move your mouse more (physically), which makes precise aiming easier and this could also reduce strain on shoulders, elbows etc. It will feel a little akward in the beginning, but in the long run it will really benefit you (you need a bigger mousemat for this also).

When you find a setting thats feels good, use the same distance (for a 360-turn) in all FPS-games (settings will be different from game to game, use a tape-measure). This way you build consistant muscle-memory.

In BF1 I'm at 3% with DPI in the mid 2k range. Soldier Zoom at 93%. We're probably close to the same in game feel though. FOV at 75 to 80. Still gives me the sense of fast movement, but targets are not as far off as with a higher FOV. Try to keep all my FPS games in the ballpark. 20+ years of using same key binding layout (which is another topic) and mouse settings, I feel like I'm on autopilot playing these games. Few % here or there can make a world of difference.
  • dude_ButtCabbage
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I would suggest, though hard to find many, a 32 player server run by a clan. Lots of mature players out there willing to help you learn on their server and join their teamspeak or Discord to help you.
  • Meduio
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I’m in my mid 40s just started playing myself, best advice I got is to turn off chat window, play the game and have fun. My experience has been great.
  • henbaoqian
    85 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Subtle54 wrote: »
    I"m 65 and new to FPS, is this Title suitable to learn on? Or am I going to get haranged in chat for being stupid? Thinking of rolling as Medic, then at least I might be of a little use while learning. Only played EVE and WOW, else singleplayer RPGs.

start with playing deathmatch or domination. Pretty frustrating for new players but you will:

1/ have the chance to try new weapons very quickly and do not have to wait long for target. Action takes place within seconds, you shoot, practice, rinse and repeat

2/ noone cares about 1 or 2 or 10 deaths, this is just action and really, no need to cry if you lost 3 lives ina row as there are no flags to lose (well, Domination have it, but this is irrelevant for this point)

3/ noone will curse you for wasting plane, tank (very tempting to take one) or reviving in front of the enemy, chances are you will learn the ropes much much quicker than in conquest, where action may take 5 minutes to roll into more interesting territory

4/ TDM or Domination usually have no or very few skunks, I mean, scouts. This is vermin class of this game, waste of slot on the server, usually lowest score contributors to the team, not to mention next to none-existen contribution to the overall game goal/taking flags etc (with very few notable exceptions, usually 1-2 per server). Avoid like plague and honestly, this is pure pleasure to play with the men taking action with medic or assault class than playing hide and seek with cowards camping 100 meters away counting for that one more kill.

On the downside - TDM or domination can get pretty boring fast, so switch to other modes as you please :) I like this mode here and then, to try new weapons, troll with dynamite etc. Good training.
  • skates15
    453 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Subtle54 wrote: »

Anyone proficient at EVE is not stupid, but the games you play are so different than FPS that you may struggle, but really you just have to play for a while and see if FPS is your thing. On a side note, I'm looking forward to the redo of Command and Conquer. That should be fun, crossing fingers.