This Week in Battlefield V

Tanks are so underpowered

Comments

• rainkloud
    548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    DukeSan27 wrote: »
    rainkloud wrote: »
    There's a simple solution and that is to have external repairs be interruptible just like self repair is. That way the driver has to choose between retreating or attacking but they can't just sit there and soak damage up while the repairman hides in a crater underneath the tank virtually unkillable.

Being interruptible wont help as external repair is continuous. There needs to be a cool down like system, which dis-allows repairs within 3-5 seconds of taking damage, like not healing under suppression.

Make it not continuous then. Make it exactly like self repair such that only 3 things can disrupt it:

1) You let go of L click
    2) The vehicle moves out of range
    3) The vehicle takes damage

If for some reason if can't be coded like that then just reduce the repair tool rate by 50-75%
  • elms1994
    111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

I’m using this as my reference, 74-1 first time out in the thing, and the AA even when scoring decent hits isn’t doing significant damage. The title is “anti-air can’t stop the Junkers”.

Now I love to fly so obviously as a pilot I don’t particularly want one of our biggest counters to be buffed, but I am worried that the current state of AA will compound the problems tankers have even more especially given some of the more anti-tank focused upgrade paths planes have.

I think this is a fair argument.

Heavy Bombers need some serious work, it's the same lame **** like in BF1. Spam bombs, return to resupply, spam bombs and so on. I'm also flying the heavies since there's no reason to fly anything else. You can even easily kill single fighter planes following you. At least seat switching should be disabled for pilots, so that you need teamplay to be effective.
    Trokey66 wrote: »

Sounds like attrition all over again!

People complained that they couldn't lone Wolf infantry for lack of ammo so DICE increased the count.

Now people complain about 'weak' tanks but ignore that every Support has a repair tool in thier tool box.

The game has barely been out and people cry nerf/buff!

Players are still trying the new stuff, running around learning the maps and mechanics.

No balance passes should be made for at least 4-8 weeks after full release unless it is a glitch (BF3 USAS and Frags for example). This allows players to 'bed in' and learn the intricacies of new mechanics and gameplay. THEN And only then, should balance passes be looked at.

I'm saying this again, play Tank some rounds and come again ;)

If you disable this then bombers won't have a chance I count how many times nobody spawned on my tail gun because they don't want to we need this for our defense.
  • WrathOfTheRipper
    80 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Tank are fine for me. I run light tanks all day. Yea i can take 2 panzers before my tank dies, But im also not rushing in. I sit back and support the infantry. If there is another tank i destroy it. Pesky snipers, i range them with my mounted LMG. Machine gun nests no problem. Sit back, support infantry, take out armored targets for them, and lay down landmines to deny enemy vehicles access to our capture points.
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Tank are fine for me. I run light tanks all day. Yea i can take 2 panzers before my tank dies, But im also not rushing in. I sit back and support the infantry. If there is another tank i destroy it. Pesky snipers, i range them with my mounted LMG. Machine gun nests no problem. Sit back, support infantry, take out armored targets for them, and lay down landmines to deny enemy vehicles access to our capture points.

Tanks aren’t fine; the meta suits light tanks especially, I’ve gone on many 50-60+ streaks with the light tanks and Valentine. It’s the heavies that really suffer in the current state of things.

• TiMEvBoMB
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    The Main on tanks need a bit more splash damage and Panzers need to be nerfed. Other than that they're fine, Just got to switch to secondary alot more on this game since al least they made the LMG useful.
  • CedarOfLebanon
    604 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    TiMEvBoMB wrote: »
    The Main on tanks need a bit more splash damage and Panzers need to be nerfed. Other than that they're fine, Just got to switch to secondary alot more on this game since al least they made the LMG useful.

Panzers need to be nerfed ? Im sure you meant panzerfaust
  • voltron420
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think one of the biggest problems for tanks right now is that about half of a team or more is running assault which makes it the panzerfaust spam unreal in most matches. But I will say that most people don’t even worry about a tank (evidenced by the way people aren’t scared to run right up to the front of one) that is until you mow down a few with the hmg. Couple that with people being able to flank a lot easier in here and the fact that assaults can snipe you with the panzerfaust from150-200 meters out makes it hard for a tank to last very long especially if your team is of the less skilled variety. Tanks should be feared by infantry and take a concerted effort by multiple individuals to take out not just one assault being a solo tank killer. I say since there are so many assault that we bring tanks up to the level that they were at launch on bf1 and it would balance itself out it would put tanks in a priority target role where a team should focus down a tank, in the beginning of any bf game tanks were strong but not invincible despite what the forums would have you think because any one squad could focus on a tank and if they were even of average skill could make short work of it. Balancing of tanks and their counters has to be a nightmare because of most matches being a bunch of Rambo the rando’s who wouldn’t know teamwork if it fell on their head, I mean they want the individual to feel he can contribute but as it stands now an single person can 1v1 a tank and win.
  • china2991
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think the assault class has too much anti-tank, It should take a team effort to take out a tank not 1 guy.
  • g0merpile
    572 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    in the real battlefield the heavy armor, rockets would cause no damage to them, 2 sticky nades heavy armor destroyed
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Tanks are so underpowered in bfv and very easily destroyed & are so slow, the range on the tanks is trash aswell. Tanks are garbage compared to bf 1. Tanks need a serious buff. If you bought this game expecting to enjoy a tank gameplay then this game is not for you, you may spawn in a tank that looks so powerful, but infact it feels nothing like a tank, gets destroyed so easily like an armored car in bf1... Tanks in this game are so boring in the current state

I easily destroyed several tanks yesterday because they were alone with no infantry support. But when I tried that with tanks accompanied by infantry I maybe got one Panzerfaust shot off before being killed.

We don't need tanks going back to being unstoppable land battleships with lone wolf tankers getting huge kill streaks. There are three other players in your squad, one should be a Support with a repair tool, and they should all stick close to you to deal with enemy infantry. If you refuse to work together with the rest of your squad, that's your problem.

You know as well as I do that getting a dedicated blueberry with a repair tool is about as rare as facing an entire team consisting purely of scouts and medics. I play with my platoon mates for this reason as often as I can, and even then, they'd rather have their gun in their hand, or stay in my front gunner position, etc.

Also I don't think anybody here is asking for unstoppable land battleships or lone wolves with huge kill streaks (although the current meta completely favours lone wolves in the light tanks, I've done multiple 50-60+ streaks doing this).

Also in regards to your previous post, I have been hit MANY times by Panzerfausts well beyond their effective range, including ones that have done 44 damage frontally to a Tiger twice in a row (turret ring I presume), and 70+ frontally to a light tank. It does happen; I get hit from extreme ranges quite often.
    Tanks are so underpowered in bfv and very easily destroyed & are so slow, the range on the tanks is trash aswell. Tanks are garbage compared to bf 1. Tanks need a serious buff. If you bought this game expecting to enjoy a tank gameplay then this game is not for you, you may spawn in a tank that looks so powerful, but infact it feels nothing like a tank, gets destroyed so easily like an armored car in bf1... Tanks in this game are so boring in the current state

I easily destroyed several tanks yesterday because they were alone with no infantry support. But when I tried that with tanks accompanied by infantry I maybe got one Panzerfaust shot off before being killed.

We don't need tanks going back to being unstoppable land battleships with lone wolf tankers getting huge kill streaks. There are three other players in your squad, one should be a Support with a repair tool, and they should all stick close to you to deal with enemy infantry. If you refuse to work together with the rest of your squad, that's your problem.

You know as well as I do that getting a dedicated blueberry with a repair tool is about as rare as facing an entire team consisting purely of scouts and medics. I play with my platoon mates for this reason as often as I can, and even then, they'd rather have their gun in their hand, or stay in my front gunner position, etc.

Also I don't think anybody here is asking for unstoppable land battleships or lone wolves with huge kill streaks (although the current meta completely favours lone wolves in the light tanks, I've done multiple 50-60+ streaks doing this).

Also in regards to your previous post, I have been hit MANY times by Panzerfausts well beyond their effective range, including ones that have done 44 damage frontally to a Tiger twice in a row (turret ring I presume), and 70+ frontally to a light tank. It does happen; I get hit from extreme ranges quite often.

Occasionally blueberries can surprise us and be very good teammates, but in general you're correct that we cannot count on them so that's why we play with friends. If you have to play with random squad mates, maybe that's not a good time to be in a tank, perhaps it's better to work on some infantry assignments or whatever. I've known very good players who want to do one thing and one thing only, fly a jet, or a Little Bird, or drive a tank, they almost won't play if they can't get their vehicle of choice. It's their money, they can play how they like. I like to be bad at a wide range of things, so I'll be a craptacular sniper one day and fly like a cow on roller skates the next, but I'm having fun.

It already seems like adjustments to tanks and anti-rank weapons are on the way, so some of this is going to go away quite soon. I just hope we don't see the usual DICE over-reaction where they nerf/buff things so much that later they realize they went too far and then they have to roll back the changes--I think we've all seen that at least once. And I'm not sure about nobody asking for tanks to be OP again, I very much get that vibe from some of the things I've seen posted. When someone wants vehicles to have infinite ammo again that does suggest he's fine with imbalance if it works in his favor.
  • TiMEvBoMB
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    TiMEvBoMB wrote: »

Panzers need to be nerfed ? Im sure you meant panzerfaust

Yes
  • g0merpile
    572 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Occasionally blueberries can surprise us and be very good teammates, but in general you're correct that we cannot count on them so that's why we play with friends. If you have to play with random squad mates, maybe that's not a good time to be in a tank, perhaps it's better to work on some infantry assignments or whatever. I've known very good players who want to do one thing and one thing only, fly a jet, or a Little Bird, or drive a tank, they almost won't play if they can't get their vehicle of choice. It's their money, they can play how they like. I like to be bad at a wide range of things, so I'll be a craptacular sniper one day and fly like a cow on roller skates the next, but I'm having fun.

It already seems like adjustments to tanks and anti-rank weapons are on the way, so some of this is going to go away quite soon. I just hope we don't see the usual DICE over-reaction where they nerf/buff things so much that later they realize they went too far and then they have to roll back the changes--I think we've all seen that at least once. And I'm not sure about nobody asking for tanks to be OP again, I very much get that vibe from some of the things I've seen posted. When someone wants vehicles to have infinite ammo again that does suggest he's fine with imbalance if it works in his favor.
    Actually all they need to do is increase the speed of the tanks, I like the ammo supply the way it is. I've discovered a way to get around the INF in tanks at close rage, the panznade is way to powerful.
  • ragnarok013
    3226 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    This is cod domination with paper tanks

Bit over exaggerated there
    Finjinsno wrote: »
    Bf5 is confused...identifies as cod....becomes battlecod5.

Are there drive-able vehicles in COD??

The last COD entry that had drivable vehicles was COD World at War.
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    g0merpile wrote: »

Actually all they need to do is increase the speed of the tanks, I like the ammo supply the way it is. I've discovered a way to get around the INF in tanks at close rage, the panznade is way to powerful.

I’m not sure all the tanks need to be faster, it’s only really the heavies that suffer, and perhaps the Pz. IV a little. The meta seems to favour manouverability.
  • Theteckmtl
    8 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    habitually im a tank guy on any bf series ... but in bf5 i dont take any vehicules ... that are so cheap and not fun at all

• Faylum
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Some good suggestions in this thread since i last read it. The artillery guns having no animation is also a big concern of mine. I was shooting down planes today and killing tanks and infantry flawlessly. And as soon as a sniper missed his shot on me, i would get off the gun, prone for a few seconds and then jump back on. (because most snipers have adhd they rarely ever stay looking one way when nothings happening, so i just wait a few extra seconds and jump back on) Must have gotten around 40 kills with zero deaths. And it one shots planes as it should but its the reload. You miss your shot well you can watch the shot arch and fall while reloading so you can easily adjust on the fly and rek. Mind you most players you encounter haven't a clue how to play this game in any measure but i fear the good players might be able to abuse this like i was and i dont want to come up against that myself, knowing it has no real downside. An animation would be nice.
    As someone else said it bombers are actually well balanced you just need to remove the 3d spotting and make them slower to drop their pay load. That way they will need to downward blanket an area more to get a kill. As it is now i could wipe out an entire team including all tanks because i can just fly to the max height, use map to spy attacking locations and then accurately nuke an area. Tanks are even worse off than infantry because they cannot be resurrected.
    Also just to point out, in other battlefield games going back to 1942, gunner seats could shred planes and choppers and other light vehicles. This is the first game where a gunner shoots bb pellets at planes. Good against infantry because of the ttk but terrible against planes. So tanks have no defence at all against a plane.
    Although this is not a suggestion i would like to know if this effects other tankers. When your moving in your tank in first person have you noticed the aimer wobbling around a lot. Almost like the tank feels everything it drives over and is bouncing to it all. Rather than the suspension that would have been preventing some of bouncing and unstable wobbling for moving?
    Also has anyone noticed that when you are in 3rd person aiming but go to first person you are automatically reset to the front of your tank causing confusion and disorientation? I also get issues where i am lets say firing in first person to the exact right of my tank, i go to 3rd person to get a better view, back to first person and the gun is forcing itself to reset to the front?
    Another issue ive been noticing has to do with (mainly) light tanks. When you are lets say driving forward but turning and your turret is to the side, you see someone perhaps in front of you and decide to reverse backwards, the tank will continually disobey your command driving forward until you line the turret back up with the forward motion. I've run up against this issue time and time again and i have seen others do the exact same so i know its not just me. Tank controls are worse than ever.
  • TH3_R1PP3R
    238 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Lord have mercy....this post is a joke. Ready yourself.

BF3, BF4 and BF1 all the tanks were extremely overpowered. Tanks are tanks, but shouldn't be K/D cruise control titans for every single situation. On PC, having tanks with the ability to move their turret as fast as the user's DPI was complete BS. Unlimited ammo. Thermal Optics revealing mines with a vibrant white glow that you would only miss if you were high. ..and 3rd person cam to top it off. In BF1 you had something better than poxy scan and thermal...the spot flare being spammed by everybody that reveals everything in real time.

Do you really need this spelled out for you? Your easy 50 kill game now requires you to be aware of your surroundings and support your team. No more free bonus rounds of candy coated slaughter. No more syfy BS spotting systems holding your hand and physically telling you what to do step by step. You actually gotta get good and think with your brain....not much but just a little. WHAT A CONCEPT???

Finally somone speaking the truth!
  • CedarOfLebanon
    604 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    TH3_R1PP3R wrote: »

BF3, BF4 and BF1 all the tanks were extremely overpowered. Tanks are tanks, but shouldn't be K/D cruise control titans for every single situation. On PC, having tanks with the ability to move their turret as fast as the user's DPI was complete BS. Unlimited ammo. Thermal Optics revealing mines with a vibrant white glow that you would only miss if you were high. ..and 3rd person cam to top it off. In BF1 you had something better than poxy scan and thermal...the spot flare being spammed by everybody that reveals everything in real time.

Do you really need this spelled out for you? Your easy 50 kill game now requires you to be aware of your surroundings and support your team. No more free bonus rounds of candy coated slaughter. No more syfy BS spotting systems holding your hand and physically telling you what to do step by step. You actually gotta get good and think with your brain....not much but just a little. WHAT A CONCEPT???

Bla bla bla
  • WinterWarhurst
    TH3_R1PP3R wrote: »

Yeah, only I'm quite sure nobody in this thread once asked for any of those things on tanks in BFV, or anything like them. Obviously the game has a variety of bugs, balancing issues, exploits, etc. And we are giving constructive feedback as to the kind of solutions we like, which ultimately the developers will make the final decision on. It's that simple, that's how good ideas get out there.

A lot of us in this thread even agree with much of what this guy said, but that doesn't fix the current state of the tanks, which nearly everyone is in consensus about being underpowered and often unenjoyable even for players with team support and excellent situational awareness.
  • DukeSan27
    1163 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Faylum wrote: »
    Although this is not a suggestion i would like to know if this effects other tankers. When your moving in your tank in first person have you noticed the aimer wobbling around a lot. Almost like the tank feels everything it drives over and is bouncing to it all. Rather than the suspension that would have been preventing some of bouncing and unstable wobbling for moving?
    Also has anyone noticed that when you are in 3rd person aiming but go to first person you are automatically reset to the front of your tank causing confusion and disorientation? I also get issues where i am lets say firing in first person to the exact right of my tank, i go to 3rd person to get a better view, back to first person and the gun is forcing itself to reset to the front?
    Another issue ive been noticing has to do with (mainly) light tanks. When you are lets say driving forward but turning and your turret is to the side, you see someone perhaps in front of you and decide to reverse backwards, the tank will continually disobey your command driving forward until you line the turret back up with the forward motion. I've run up against this issue time and time again and i have seen others do the exact same so i know its not just me. Tank controls are worse than ever.

The bouncy aim point is there once in a while. Even while standing still, the aim will bounce up and down, as if the suspension has its own mind.

For resetting of the turret, I have this:

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/161465/bugged-tank-controls-how-to-do-a-180-in-a-flash

The Tank driving in opposite direction was a sporadic issue in BF1 with Light Tanks. Now I see it more and more in BFV.