Is it just me, or BF1 is so much more enjoyable and have better gameplay than BF5?

Comments

• disposalist
    8260 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    Although it’s tempting to tell BF1 fans like disposalist to get lost now the tables are turned, I think it would be better to listen to some of their concerns.

It’s true BF1 was changed after a year to bring it in line with older BF titles. It was only after that I started playing it.

Maybe it’s only fair to tweak BFV, or add a normal mode or something, so more BF1 people can enjoy it?

These are fellow Battlefield fans after all. Seems a bit extreme to shut them out.
    Really very good of you to be so reasonable. I've posted a couple of times about my realisation that DICE really needs to make 2 titles and keep 2 titles going at once.

There certainly seems to be a large and vocal group that want a more 'competitive' game and there is a large group that prefer it more 'casual'. Those terms are rather reductive, but I think they are mostly understood by both sides and largely cover the 'opposing' views of what makes BF fans argue.

I really thought at one point we had it made when DICE started working on Incursions seemingly just for the competitive crowd that weren't happy with BF1. But Incursions seemed to go nowhere and perhaps please no one and then they stuck TTK2 in BF1 to make it more like BF4, even though there still was BF4 for that kind of gunplay and they were developing BF5 which they must have known would have gunplay more like BF4 than BF1.

They know there are two different crowds and they know they want two very different (relatively) games, but they keep trying to cram both kinds into one, to a lesser or greater degree. Never mind the obvious folly of trying to balance for console and PC.

I totally understand why some like BF5. If you always wanted BF4.5 then BF1 was probably disappointing. As someone who loved the way BF1 took the franchise, BF5 is a big disappointment.

If I thought BF1 would live on and maybe get some dev love (and maybe get TTK2 retracted hehe) I'd be happy to just leave BF5 be.

The reason I've been moaning quite so much in these forums (I've calmed it down lately I think... I hope) is because I know BF1 isn't going to get any more dev time and I suspect, because the server system is so bad, it won't survive like BF4 did.
  • SilkWildey
    993 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BFV Less grenade spam
    Yes less nade spam, but I still die by explosives a lot because of all the number of assault players all having a massive arsenal of explosives.
    less smoke
    Nope, not less smoke. Smoke didn't get used much in BF1 and doesn't get used much in BF5.
    no gas grenades
    It was trendy for a while in BF1, but I hardly ever die to them now and haven't for ages. Also... gasmasks... They always worked.
    fantastic gun play
    Not really. TTD is randomly awful. Balance between classes is bad. Weapons choice is uninspiring. Camping is rife and profitable. Gunplay is often random feeling.
    No suppression mechanic , only visual , what more do you guys want ?
    A suppression mechanic that isn't pointless.
    complaining you can't see the enemy in BFV, well tell me you could see the enemy through all that smoke and gas ????
    You must have just played Fort De Veux to have such a chip on the shoulder about smoke and gas.
    The graphics in BF5 are cluttered. There doesn't need to be smoke and gas when there's so much clutter.
    No spamming the q button to spot through smoke and gas
    Spotting didn't work through smoke and gas.
    you have to actually look and rely on your squad mates (recon) who have the spotting flare
    The spotting flare in BF5 is near useless. Almost never see it in action.
    or binocular
    It's a spotting scope and I almost never see it in action, just like snipers didn't use the scope in BF1.
    I think it's mainly the inexperienced players not able to adapt quickly to the new battlefield that are complaining.
    Nope. It's mainly the fans that don't like bugs, glitches, and weird hardcore-lite design decisions leading to a infantry-dominated, badly balanced, pseudo-competitive odd-feeling Battlefield and wanted a new BF that would be at least as good if not better than BF1, because BF1 was fantastic and we are in danger of losing it because of devs moving to BF5 (and private servers not being well supported).

Much like when BF1 was inflicted with TTK2, people said "adapt", "git gud". It's nothing to do with adapting. It's to do with the gunplay and gameplay not being as much fun. I don't care what my stats are like and whether or not I can maintain a KDR. If the game is less fun, it's less fun. I'm slightly above average in BF1. I'm slightly above average in BF5. BF5 is still less fun.

I think this is the best run down I have seen.

To me it doesn't even come close to BF1 it just isn't of that level or even potential.

That said, I do like sniping on this game but overall it's a very dull game.

In BF1 you felt like you was in a war, in BFV you don't have that feeling.
  • cso7777
    883 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    seXikanac wrote: »
    Is it just me, or BF1 is so much more enjoyable and have better gameplay than BF5? Crouch running is too fast, everybody is camping, most of the guns feels useless. All in all, BF5 battles feel like huge confusion comparing to much cleaner and more enjoyable BF1 battles

I have to agree, BF1 is fun to play. When I play BF1 it just works:
    I don't worry about weapon balance issues.
    I don't have to worry about seeing enemy solider.
    I can disable TAA if I want to.
    Campers are kept in check.
    I don't have to "upgrade" weapons...I get the 'whole weapon' when it's unlocked. It's disorienting/confusing how I now have to unlock BF1 weapons in BFV.
    Tanks act like...tanks...
    I can actually communicate with my squad/team by spotting enemies. Triggered?
    Operations actually Operate in a way that I enjoy to play.
    Weapon skins in BF1 are far better.
    TTK and TTD is simply perfect.
    Plenty of weapons to choice from.
    I have plenty of ammo, even as a sniper, gasp!
    Sniper rifles do more then 60% damage, oh my!
    Team Switching!
    And because of all this and more it appears that BF1 outsold BFV.

Who knew? /s

In my opinion, the cheap deaths in BF1 is so high that I just got disgusted by the game in the end (i played for 1500 hours, so I got my moneys worth).

Even with the TTD-problems in BFV, I still feel much less "cheated" by the game, it is mostly my own awful positioning or stupid decisions that gets me killed, not some awful random game-mechanic, like in BF1.

In BFV you can "control" the gameplay a lot more, instead of the big number of random deaths in BF1 (they are still in BFV, but much less than BF1 or even BF4 for that matter).

In the end, I think BFV is much more fun than BF1. I always feel I can improve my game-play, in BF1 too many things are just out of your control (unbalanced), which frustrates a lot.
  • azelenkin0306
    515 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Although it’s tempting to tell BF1 fans like disposalist to get lost now the tables are turned, I think it would be better to listen to some of their concerns.

It’s true BF1 was changed after a year to bring it in line with older BF titles. It was only after that I started playing it.

Maybe it’s only fair to tweak BFV, or add a normal mode or something, so more BF1 people can enjoy it?

These are fellow Battlefield fans after all. Seems a bit extreme to shut them out.

Hold your horses and wait for sales numbers. Based on it it will be clear whether the tables are turned or not.

I wrote in one thread and I will write it here. All these "casuals" is the only reason that you're still playing the Battlefield now. If EA/DICE are smart (and they are smart when it's about the money), they will make a lot of changes. No matter whether you like it or not, they will make these changes if it will attract new players.

• LeesSummit09
    313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I agree with whoever said older gamers will struggle with BFV. I am an older gamer(much older), but still could enjoy playing all earlier version of BF. At this time, prior to what happens Dec. 4th, this game has not been fun for me. Elite gamers and gamers that play 24/7 evidently enjoy the game, but they must have enough players to keep game alive and blueberries to kill.
  • ITS_BOB_GNARLY
    2190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018

Hold your horses and wait for sales numbers. Based on it it will be clear whether the tables are turned or not.

I wrote in one thread and I will write it here. All these "casuals" is the only reason that you're still playing the Battlefield now. If EA/DICE are smart (and they are smart when it's about the money), they will make a lot of changes. No matter whether you like it or not, they will make these changes if it will attract new players.

We're all casuals here, we just have different preferences.

Personally i haven't enjoyed the infantry side of BF this much for a long time. Removal of doritos, addition of attrition, reduced explosion spam, removal of the sweet spot, removal of behemoths/elites/etc... These changes have brought the joy back that was lacking for me in BF1.

Honestly if DICE decide to flip direction again and introduce the above back in, that'll be my que to walk out.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I agree with whoever said older gamers will struggle with BFV. I am an older gamer(much older), but still could enjoy playing all earlier version of BF. At this time, prior to what happens Dec. 4th, this game has not been fun for me. Elite gamers and gamers that play 24/7 evidently enjoy the game, but they must have enough players to keep game alive and blueberries to kill.

I'd say it's more to do with tastes rather than anything else. In my case, I prefer to see an emphasis on prediction and aiming.

With BFV, it minimized the amount of spread, removed suppression's effect on spread, and it removed 3D spotting. Right up my alley.
  • herodes87
    1098 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    No, BF1 is less enjoyable. Much much less enjoyable. And the graphics are ugly compared to BFV.

Lol yeah If you prefer cartoonish fortnite graphic.
  • B0ng0_Banger
    1069 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bf1 is better imo. there are a few things i like better in bf5 but overall bf1 was much more fun to play. i would still be playing it but i'm kinda burned out on it.
  • styyfle
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The game is really bad to be honest. It has battlefield’s Netcode, which is atrocious, with a CSGO-level TTK, so you rarely react. The gunplay is OK but sniping feels very, very off.

BF1 operations were good in that they defined the battlefield, you knew where the engagements were going to be. Grand operations is basically just a playlist of random game modes.

There is a lot wrong with this game.
  • herodes87
    1098 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    phr91 wrote: »
    i said it once, i said it twice, i'll say it again:

it is just a much more difficult game.
    more difficult =/= bad gameplay/less fun.

more difficult = more challenging = less casual friendly = more fun for skilled people (movement, situation awareness, map knowledge, aim)

People don't want difficult. People don't want challenging and rewarding. People don't want a learning curve. They want easy, casual, cheap, automated, lock-on, lazy, participation prizes. I don't blame them. I blame Dice for giving them so much casualness in BF1 that it restructured the community pie and exponentially grew the unskilled casual slice giving us scrubs who expect to succeed without being challenged and demand to be rewarded for simply showing up.

Lame.

BFV is Not more challenging its Just easier for the Spray n prayers.

• herodes87
    ISyndromeI wrote: »
    So as I can see, more people agree with me that BF1 is more enjoyable than confused BF5 :disappointed:

Not even close. It’s called the vocal minority and happens after every release - even when BF1 was released.

Since, logically, people tend to rather rise negative opinions than positive. Hence why you’ll always see Youtube flooded with negative videos after a new gaming console has been released. Why would anyone post a video saying “I like this console, it has no issues”.

The rest just play and enjoy or can’t be bothered moaning about it.

Sold Numbers at launch say the opposed.
  • Amonsul
    70 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    People, get tired of dying all the time. The new players and even some vets will not play long when there is such a difference in performance for some. You will be left with just a game for the top level players and we know how much they like to gang up on the new players.
    What happened to games where skills was knowing the map and have quicker reaction time to your enemy. Now it is all about the gun mechanics and counteracting recoil.
    At times this game is fun but too many times I feel like a noob even though I have been playing FPS's for a long time.
  • Jaskaman
    612 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    BFV is generally a better experience than BF1-gunplay being a lot better than in BF1 -but there are a lot of bugs that needs fixing and also we are still missing RSP. And even more campers than in BF1 (thought that's not possible)....
  • Fruxen
    120 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    cso7777 wrote: »
    In my opinion, the cheap deaths in BF1 is so high that I just got disgusted by the game in the end (i played for 1500 hours, so I got my moneys worth).

Even with the TTD-problems in BFV, I still feel much less "cheated" by the game, it is mostly my own awful positioning or stupid decisions that gets me killed, not some awful random game-mechanic, like in BF1.

In BFV you can "control" the gameplay a lot more, instead of the big number of random deaths in BF1 (they are still in BFV, but much less than BF1 or even BF4 for that matter).

In the end, I think BFV is much more fun than BF1. I always feel I can improve my game-play, in BF1 too many things are just out of your control (unbalanced), which frustrates a lot.

Funny, I also have 1500 hours in BF1 and so far my feeling is the exact opposite. :D I feel in total control in BF1 and can take well calculated risk/rewards. BFV is just so much randomness and getting killed by invisible enemies, or seeing 2 pixels of them a fraction of a second before I die.

Even those rounds when I check the scoreboard and see I have 3 or 4/1 KD it still doesn't really feel good. I see him first, I kill him first. He sees me first, he kill me first. Repeat.

I hope it will get better both from my experience and game fixes.
  • islwynjacks
    62 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Is it just me, or BF1 is so much more enjoyable and have better gameplay than BF5? Crouch running is too fast, everybody is camping, most of the guns feels useless. All in all, BF5 battles feel like huge confusion comparing to much cleaner and more enjoyable BF1 battles

im with you mate just cant get into bf5 at all

• ProAssassin2003
    2874 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BFV doesn't have Horses so it's instantly Better.
  • azelenkin0306
    515 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

We're all casuals here, we just have different preferences.

Personally i haven't enjoyed the infantry side of BF this much for a long time. Removal of doritos, addition of attrition, reduced explosion spam, removal of the sweet spot, removal of behemoths/elites/etc... These changes have brought the joy back that was lacking for me in BF1.

Honestly if DICE decide to flip direction again and introduce the above back in, that'll be my que to walk out.

I really like some changes they brought into BFV (reducing grenade spam, removing Sweet spot), but in the same time I don't understand the purpose of changing the things that worked really well in BF1. For me, the biggest dissapointments are Grand Operations and Medic class.
    • Operations in BF1 was the single reason I've been playing this game for a very long period of time. I really liked the intensity, all these final stands and pushes when you have 50 tickets left, behemoths that helped to push and created additional challenge for the defenders, total chaos sometimes and etc. So, why did they change this formula? Why did they add the Conquest to the Operations? FFS, i've been playing Operations just not to touch Conquest mode. What's the point of effective push and attack, if everything is decided in the final round? Yes, there is a breakthrough, but it is bland and pathetic copy of BF1 operations.

• Medic class. It was my favourite class in BF1 (80K heals, 15K revives) and one of the things I really liked about this class is rifles. Reviving was fun and challenging and didn't affect the pace of the game. You can do a revive slide, revive while crawling and normal revive. In Operations Medic was extremely important especially for Attacking team. And of course, rifles were really good: Cei-Rigotti (35 Stars), Howell Automatic (31 Service Star), Auto 8.35 Factory (20 Service stars) and etc. So, what did they do? They introduced this stupid animations noone has asked for and left Medic with **** SMGs, giving Medic rifles to Scout and Assault. I have a good aim and I hate automatic guns.

You can walk out, but you've already bought the game and they have your money. And, let's be honest, you will buy the next one :)