Dogfighting = who shoots first wins

Comments

• WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    It is true that BFV has the issue of the dogfights being over once someone is on your 6 cause it is unlikely you will shake him off, especially if they manage to score modular damage on your tail.

This is also why I always take the emergency module repair on my dogfighters. I suppose if you want to lose a tail you really need a plane with upgrades to do so, probably nitro, leading edge, emergency repair & even smoke.

Personally I'd love if we got combat flaps, which you could rip if you deploy them at too fast a speed.
  • BCC-GK1llA913
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    All gotta do is slow down of someone is behind you
  • 20200sfly
    353 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Is no one else shocked that the video showing the highest levels of dogfighting looked boring as all hell?

I'd rather suck or kamakazi someone with my plane than do that boring crap all game. No offense.
  • StupidNameHere
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    That's how planes work.
  • spychodelics
    477 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The constant switching of outside, and inside view is annoying, they should get really rid of that "feature".
  • Old_Machines
    108 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I can't believe I'm saying this but the smoke is actually useful when someone is on your six.
    Yes it's true as soon someone is straight behind you, you have very low chance of surviving, unless you notice the enemy early and try to escape him.
    Also it's helpful not to chase planes one after the other, usually after a kill I would climb up on the edge of the map and scout an area for a while.
    But I do agree that escaping someone on your six is hard, especially when they can damage your wings and engine, than you are done in 99,99% of situations, but maybe that means we need to be more aware of our surroundings, and don't let people come behind us. I found smoke and radar upgrades really useful, plus playing with a friend is extremely helpful.
  • BCC-GK1llA913
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Bring back speed control
  • olavafar
    2261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I can agree to the general statement in this. I suppose it is in line with the infantry play because also there it is more or less about seeing the other guy before they see you. Shoot first FTW, is the name of the game. BFV dog fight is all about initial positioning, if you make a mistake in that part you are mostly done.
  • Crazymoooseman
    39 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I wouldn't count out dogfighting just yet, I think there is more to it now that people just haven't discovered yet. And I do think there are more ways to shake someone off your six.

For instance I witnessed a stucka the other day shake two spitfires by diving at the ground and utilizing its dive breaks, it pulled up and the two spitfires crashed into the ground.

I've been playing as the mosquito lately and if you use the high altitude package all you have to do is climb straight up, time your roll over on the stall, and you'll come back down on a stalled BF109 or others that can't climb as high, then you waste them with the 4 20mm cannons.

This isn't even getting into the nitrous boost that some planes have, I think you've just got to give it more time, there is complexity there, it's just not your traditional stuff.
  • Hawxxeye
    8039 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    olavafar wrote: »
    I can agree to the general statement in this. I suppose it is in line with the infantry play because also there it is more or less about seeing the other guy before they see you. Shoot first FTW, is the name of the game. BFV dog fight is all about initial positioning, if you make a mistake in that part you are mostly done.
    In dogfights there is that extra layer where a friendly plane or AA can interfere and change the outcome.
    That is why each time I get shot down after I tried hard to survive as long as possible I lash out at the people who are not manning the AAs
  • Fruxen
    141 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    Don't know about BFV but in previous games I think a lot of players tried flying fighters a few times and then never touched them again, ever. Making dogfighting more accessible sounds like an idea for the overall community.
    20200sfly wrote: »
    Is no one else shocked that the video showing the highest levels of dogfighting looked boring as all hell?

Yeah it's like watching two drunk fat guys trying to fight and just windmill at each other for 10 minutes. :)
  • thamac15
    312 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I can shake off Pilots on my six most of the time. I think it’s becasue you can’t see planes too well in this game and they simplay lose track of me. I don’t know, like someone said in another thread “it’s a coin flip”.
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    We’re going to have to wait until the practice range to really practice and discover the best tactics to losing tails.

I know the OP disagrees, but personally managing angles in rear view, trying to reduce the gap while remaining off target, and engaging in rolling scissors, feels the best bet to me.

As it stands I don’t want speed control as you had it in BF4. Early war props should be starved for speed unless diving, and they should bleed a lot of energy in a climb. If we get late war super props and jets perhaps we can expect something different

Until then I would prefer terminal velocity to be reached later, and to give us the ability to use flaps (which are rippable past certain speeds, giving us systemic damage).
  • SirBobdk
    5379 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    OP do have a point. The fly mechanics are not optimal and It still feels like flying in syrup in some cases.
    Many of the maneuvers that could be used in previous versions of BF do not work optimally in BFV.
    In many cases, it is also the first shot that determines a duel, which is also very different from other BF
  • olavafar
    2261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    olavafar wrote: »
    In dogfights there is that extra layer where a friendly plane or AA can interfere and change the outcome.
    That is why each time I get shot down after I tried hard to survive as long as possible I lash out at the people who are not manning the AAs

Agree to that! Though this is the case also in earlier BF titles. I was generally referring to the 1 vs 1 scenario. On the subject, a longer TTK (or TT destruction) increases the risk that dogfights (above conquest maps) becomes a battle of who has team mates manning AA guns, a bit like it is in BF1 sometimes. So in itself a long TTK is not always a good thing in the air IMO.
  • LassePladask
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Dogfights with 3rd person view is awful and not fun. We need hardcore with cockpit view only and some tweaks thats all.
  • Major_Pungspark
    1599 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Quick question, could OP please start his/her way to air domination by sucking less on making sentences. Seriously, are you trying to write as horrible as possible? My english probably sucks but at least I try.
  • wc138
    1119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm not the greatest pilot by any means, but it certainly seems that once they've hit your tail and at least a single hit to the wing, you aren't going to escape them. It helps to have a wingman to fly in tandem with, but it's a brutal learning curve if you've not unlocked specializations and your opponent has 42 guns, quick fix, and better maneuverability.

Then again, giving us all equipment that's subpar until you unlock specializations is pretty cheap anyway. It means the player with less time is punished with having less experience AND worse equipment. It seems to be the theme of BFV: an overabundance of handicaps that you have suffer through to make the experience anything short of frustration.

I don't get it.
  • 20200sfly
    353 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Fruxen wrote: »
    Don't know about BFV but in previous games I think a lot of players tried flying fighters a few times and then never touched them again, ever. Making dogfighting more accessible sounds like an idea for the overall community.
    20200sfly wrote: »

Yeah it's like watching two drunk fat guys trying to fight and just windmill at each other for 10 minutes. :)

Ha ha...exactly. That was the most boring crap I've ever seen. And putting music to it?! If I make a video of my grass growing and put music to it does it magically become exciting?
  • PrecisionWing
    657 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Bring back 313 speed control or introduce something similar, such as plane turns faster when you are at certain G force, or something like DCS or even war thurder, like momentum.