BFV dedicated servers

Comments

• StarscreamUK
    7184 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Such an eloquent response. Please elaborate on what part isn't correct.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    olT3lo wrote: »
    Well, guess the lack of 3rd party server rentals doesn't really matter now, so few people bought or care about this game. Guess it goes to show, putting shareholders concerns over the drive to create great games that gamer's love, isn't always the best course.

The thing which really concerns me is the reduced development cycle of 2 years. The game is so light on content when it comes to weapons, gadgets and maps that most people will burn through that content in one or two month. The Battleroyal mode could be the saving grace if it is done right, but will it be done right? It will be released not until march anyways. If the only new map they release in the next 4 month is this tank focused panzerstorm map, then this game will probably bleed out. And getting all those players back if they have left once, will be difficult.

Beside, yes battlefield 4 had also many bugs, but in battlefield 4 the game at least saved my settings. In this game when i turn off chromatic aberration, film grain, lens distortion and vignette then a few games later the game even forgets my custom settings and i have to readjust them in the option menu again and again.Did they fire all of their bug testers or does EA just wants us to pay 60 dollar for a half finished game? Why not finish the development on this game first and then release it in two years from now when it is finished. What we have now is a 60 dollar early access, at best.

Reduced development? BFV has had the largest release gap out of any Battlefield game to date.

Doesn't make it any better, though.
  • PvtJohnTowle
    871 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018

Didn't feel as though your comment needed an eloquent response as I'm firm in my belief and feel as though yours was the proper response to a different question.

The reason this series is where it is, at this point in time, is directly the result of corporate influence of a giant publisher.

We live in a disposable world now. Nothing is built to last. This is true whether you are buying a washing machine, or a video game. Why is it like that? Because some genius figured out that building with cheaper materials and assembling those materials using unskilled or mechanical labor was faster and cheaper with the additional perk being, when your new washing machine breaks after 8 years instead of 25, they get to sell you the same shoddy garbage all over again.

Why would a publisher want a games lifespan to last? The majority of the games sales are up front, not 2 years down the road. Why would they want a community built up around fun community servers when they can force you to play with mostly strangers on servers they sell you (or don't sell you in the case of BFV apparently)? They don't care about longevity, they care about selling the next half baked product when you are tired of playing their last asset flipped, piece of crap not too many months after buying it.

Is this the product of the advancement of technology or faster internet? No, it's the product of greed. It's the product of trying to appease not the consumer but the stock holder.

You can disagree, that is fine and you have every right, but don't waste your time trying to convince me otherwise and I won't waste yours with another ineloquent response.

Haven’t you heard Greed is good Gordon Gekko said so

• orangebionic
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Didn't feel as though your comment needed an eloquent response as I'm firm in my belief and feel as though yours was the proper response to a different question.

The reason this series is where it is, at this point in time, is directly the result of corporate influence of a giant publisher.

We live in a disposable world now. Nothing is built to last. This is true whether you are buying a washing machine, or a video game. Why is it like that? Because some genius figured out that building with cheaper materials and assembling those materials using unskilled or mechanical labor was faster and cheaper with the additional perk being, when your new washing machine breaks after 8 years instead of 25, they get to sell you the same shoddy garbage all over again.

Why would a publisher want a games lifespan to last? The majority of the games sales are up front, not 2 years down the road. Why would they want a community built up around fun community servers when they can force you to play with mostly strangers on servers they sell you (or don't sell you in the case of BFV apparently)? They don't care about longevity, they care about selling the next half baked product when you are tired of playing their last asset flipped, piece of crap not too many months after buying it.

Is this the product of the advancement of technology or faster internet? No, it's the product of greed. It's the product of trying to appease not the consumer but the stock holder.

You can disagree, that is fine and you have every right, but don't waste your time trying to convince me otherwise and I won't waste yours with another ineloquent response.

Haven’t you heard Greed is good Gordon Gekko said so

Yeah, and eventually he got locked up. lol
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

But if the market accepts it it's their own fault. Some genius did figure out to make things of cheaper quality because society want to buy more stuff but didnt want to pay much.

As long as people continue to bu cheap garbage, companies will still make them. Until the demand is gone, it will continue. Business 101.
  • realMartiniHenry
    152 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well, guess the lack of 3rd party server rentals doesn't really matter now, so few people bought or care about this game. Guess it goes to show, putting shareholders concerns over the drive to create great games that gamer's love, isn't always the best course.

The thing which really concerns me is the reduced development cycle of 2 years. The game is so light on content when it comes to weapons, gadgets and maps that most people will burn through that content in one or two month. The Battleroyal mode could be the saving grace if it is done right, but will it be done right? It will be released not until march anyways. If the only new map they release in the next 4 month is this tank focused panzerstorm map, then this game will probably bleed out. And getting all those players back if they have left once, will be difficult.

Beside, yes battlefield 4 had also many bugs, but in battlefield 4 the game at least saved my settings. In this game when i turn off chromatic aberration, film grain, lens distortion and vignette then a few games later the game even forgets my custom settings and i have to readjust them in the option menu again and again.Did they fire all of their bug testers or does EA just wants us to pay 60 dollar for a half finished game? Why not finish the development on this game first and then release it in two years from now when it is finished. What we have now is a 60 dollar early access, at best.

Reduced development? BFV has had the largest release gap out of any Battlefield game to date.

It doesnt look like it contentwise.We do not know when they started the development of battlefield 5 and how many people worked for how long on it, but it has not nearly as much content, when it comes to the pure amount of different airplains, tanks, boats, weapons, gadgets and maps as BF3 and BF4 had and it has even more bugs, if this is even possible, then BF 4 had. We also dont know how many of the devs had to work simultaneously on multiple games, like battlefront and battlefield at the same time.

Battlefield 5 is a lot of fun, more fun then battlefield 1 was for me, but the low amount of content is concerning. If we will only get one new map every 6 month or so then people will leave soon. Only thing which could keep them then around is the battle royal mode if the mode and the map is done well.But having tanks and infantry at the same time in the battle roayl mode does not sound really balanced.

If EA wants to develop their games more in the spirit of a game as a service approach, meaning the base product having less content but therefore there will be a steady flow of new content every month, then they would had to reduce also the price of the base game (less content should equal also a lower price) and the new content would need to flow faster. Having only one new map every 4-6 month isnt going to flow for most people. And not many of us want to buy a monthly Origin premium subscription from a company which is known for having the tendency of unnecessary milking their customers as much as it can.Battlefield is not a adobe photoshop subscription and it never will be.
  • Bundesfinanzamt
    58 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I am glad the rental server system is a thing of the past. If you can not handle the responsibility of managing a server, then you should not be able to rent a server in the first place. BF4 was full of admins abusing their "rights". Just look at the current state of BF4. Admins baiting players with fake numbers of players. Well done EA/DICE.
  • PauIoCosta
    312 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Without dedicated server on bfv, I go back to bf1 and I will die there. i am out.
  • von_Campenstein
    6554 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    Ea completley owned dice in 2006, they had majority shares in 2005.

So time for claws to sink in deep has no merit.

What has changed is the markets, technology and the internet. These three things combined have changed gaming more than any publisher.

Has technology and the internet devolved? I recall playing 10vs10 matches in CS almost 20 years ago with excellent ping, on a freaking dial-up modem!

EA can no doubt deliver better but it cuts into their bottomline so they won't.

Yeah but dont forget how awful the graphics and map quality. Games have much more going on now.

20 years ago those graphics were decent, I recall one of my favorite custom maps Deliverance having plenty of foliage and detail. If it was me developing games I'd put focus on graphics every other game and playability the one between, not focus on graphics above all every time.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

What has changed is the markets, technology and the internet. These three things combined have changed gaming more than any publisher.

Has technology and the internet devolved? I recall playing 10vs10 matches in CS almost 20 years ago with excellent ping, on a freaking dial-up modem!

Yeah but dont forget how awful the graphics and map quality. Games have much more going on now.

20 years ago those graphics were decent, I recall one of my favorite custom maps Deliverance having plenty of foliage and detail. If it was me developing games I'd put focus on graphics every other game and playability the one between, not focus on graphics above all every time.

I know but you cant compare what happened 20 years ago to now. The progression in graphics, features, etc, has not been linear. The exponential growth, along with the exponential increase of people on the web compared to the slow improvements of the internet is why you comparison on how online gameplay compared in the past is not a fair assessment.
  • DigitalHype
    703 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

But if the market accepts it it's their own fault. Some genius did figure out to make things of cheaper quality because society want to buy more stuff but didnt want to pay much.

As long as people continue to bu cheap garbage, companies will still make them. Until the demand is gone, it will continue. Business 101.

Yes. We are partly to blame for continuing to support this. But, there is a caveat. We are getting less and less competition in the marketplace. As these large publishers continue to suck up and slowly, destroy the smaller developer's intellectual property with incremental changes. There is also a chilling effect from this. Who wants to risk going up against the big guy? Every day, the likes of Activision, EA, Tencent, etc get bigger and more greedy. It's not really a deliberate course of action on the part of the employees and developers either. These corporations drive the employees to care less and less about the product personally as they become mired in the bureaucracy. Eventually they just want to do the minimum and go home.
    --
    It is the consumer that is paying the price for this.
  • -Antares65z
    1589 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

All you have to do is look at the COD series. Recycled game technology year after year after year and people are still buying it. EA saw that and took a page out of Activisions book. BF5 and future games will be just good enough to interest you. However the games aren't being designed nor supported to maintain long term interest. Removing rented servers will also contribute to shorter-life cycles for their games. They want you buying a new game every year.

• ElStryfe
    165 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    That's exactly what it comes down to.. Corporate greed. Sure, did they make money off the older RSP system? Yep, they sure did. But was it enough? Nope. See Battlefield 1 RSP, 100% of the money spent goes directly back to EA. Couple that and all the people that cried to EA about being banned for being toxic children and this is what we got. No way for dedicated gaming communities to grow and stay active and I'm sure the Twitch/YouTube/Facebook personalities would benefit as well from having their own servers that they can control how they see fit. It's a shame to say the least because Battlefield was / is one of my favorite game franchises and I hate what's happening to it and it seems like EA / DICE simply don't give 2 **** what we think. Every time we ask what the status is we're ignored and shunned back away like we're asking for the source code for the game.
  • CrashCA
    953 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Beg to differ, but 3 years BF4 to BF1 is largest gap. Regardless, we get reduced or no RSP
  • CrashCA
    953 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    @ragnarok013

Agree RSP has been mentioned, but I do not expect it, in any usable way, for BFV.
    Disagree on BF4 servers, PGC had a server up at launch or within days of it. As to BF3, not sure as I was just getting involved in server admin at that time
  • Axlerod1
    1353 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

The bfv game does look better but the game play in Bf4 was was a lot better.

I will give up pretty for game play every time.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    CrashCA wrote: »

Beg to differ, but 3 years BF4 to BF1 is largest gap. Regardless, we get reduced or no RSP

You're forgetting about Hardline.

And true, but I'm glad about no RSP yet. I sit on the side of the fence that disliked how it was handled in BF3. Hopefully they balance out our interests, but we'll see. My biggest issue with BF3 was the plethora of meat grinding servers late into that game's life.