The lack of Epicness, the lack of Battlefield

Stahlmach
1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited November 2018
Let me start this but telling you how i played the previous Battlefield Games. Although i too started with 1942 my real Battlefield History begins with Bad Company 2 because at that time i started to play it with Friends who are still part of my Life now.

And in every Battlefield that followed with the exception of Hardline which didnt interested us, we had fun. To us it a game series that had the balance of big maps, a nice balancing between being a Arcade shooter and still having tactical aspects.
Which we tried to used whenever we played. Taking a Jeep on Bandar Desert or Caspian Border, catching a Flag AND holding it although the action turned to another point ? ( at least for a while ) WE did it and we had fun with it. While still getting a lot of these " Battlefield Moments " and sometimes doing pure and stupid fun action. And in every game we got some feeling of epicness. It started with the music and ended with looking at the Battlefield itself.

But here, we cant see it, we cant feel it. Taking and holding a Flag becomes useless beause the Flags are so close together that you will be swarmed by the enemy from every side in notime and the Terrain favours the attackers.
Its a WW 2 Game but i cant see the epicness when going into a Battle. And that started with the war stories. The introduction gave the vision of seeing something great but than...Only the Tirailleur mission when attacking the defence line gave you once the feeling of being part of something bigger. I/we hoped for like jumping into a Tiger, listening to that roaring Sound of the Engine while driving to a certain Flag or part of the battlefield to make the Difference there! Not by being an unstoppable Behemoth but to turn something around.

And its actually nothing like that. When you rarely get into a Tank, you dont make any diffrence to your Team, mostly you make one for the enemy side by being a big metal piece of XP Pinata. And there are other examples.

Its sadden us, we hoped for great hours with a franchise we like and a set in a time we know a lot about and that is of great value for us to various reasons, also family history sided.
Honestly i hope this Game makes the turn but from i see right here and now i dont have high Hopes.

Comments

• LordRIB
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is exactly what I been saying. It just doesnt FEEL like a BATTLEFIELD game does it?

Me and my buddies counted the days till this came out... we all got it.. and less than 2 weeks later we barely play it. ITs missing the great spectacles that happened in previous games! BF2/3/4 and BAD COMPANY are all great. Each feels like a better version of the last, but 5 feels like a sidestep into a completely different series. The vehicle systems pretty much a waste, and to people like me Vehicles WERE battlefield. Its one of the main things that always kept me buying the BF games rather than CoD, etc..... Now the vehicles just arent fun to pilot. I know we're trying to get more Infantry game play but people used to just run no vehicle servers, so you had your choice.

I miss all that. I miss it enough I reinstalled BF4 yesterday lol. *shakes head*

-RIB
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    994 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I agree about vehicles making BF BF. Thats why im really enjoying BFV, the vehicles are amazing. Yes, p-faust needs a nerf, and some of the vehicle things are just super off (zero splash damage DICE, really?)

But they require skill and care to use effectively. Im personally bored of grabbing a tank, by myself, and going on 70 kill streaks without ever being in danger.
  • BlackarrowPSN
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The maps and modes need more ground vehicles and shorter vehicle respawn times.
  • Professor_RAWR
    165 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Tbh, BF3, BF1, and BF 1943 are the only games I still play today because of how epic it is. I agree with all your points too.

I find Battlefield 1 really epic due to the behemoths. Even though many hated it, I love enjoying using/destroying it and see them explode right on the Battlefield. I mean come on... who doesn't think that's epic? I love to fly my plane under the fiery behemoth blimp too. So cool.
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    LordRIB wrote: »
    This is exactly what I been saying. It just doesnt FEEL like a BATTLEFIELD game does it?

Me and my buddies counted the days till this came out... we all got it.. and less than 2 weeks later we barely play it. ITs missing the great spectacles that happened in previous games! BF2/3/4 and BAD COMPANY are all great. Each feels like a better version of the last, but 5 feels like a sidestep into a completely different series. The vehicle systems pretty much a waste, and to people like me Vehicles WERE battlefield. Its one of the main things that always kept me buying the BF games rather than CoD, etc..... Now the vehicles just arent fun to pilot. I know we're trying to get more Infantry game play but people used to just run no vehicle servers, so you had your choice.

I miss all that. I miss it enough I reinstalled BF4 yesterday lol. *shakes head*

-RIB

Like i said in the other thread, i totally get you. I cant remember another Game that disappointed us so fast. One example of how i felt the epicness gone. I have a female friend who just by me got into Gaming.
    She is really interested and wants to play AND sit next to one , just enjoying what she sees. I showed her the Aircraft Carrier single player mission from BF 3 and the Tank attack. Same with various Maps from BF 3 and 4.
    Seeing the building at Shanghai going down made her Eyes wide. Or sitting next to me when me and my buddies jumped into a Jeep and single handedly conquered and defended a Flag at Golmund railway and bandar Desert.
    All this combined with the great music.

And yet i cant think of anythink similar i can show her in this game once she comes back from here Holiday tomorrow....

• Head3masher
    1420 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Game's not as bad as expected, but damn, it is a shame things did not turn out better.

Dice have a chance to turn this around with some patches and fixes.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    994 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Stahlmach wrote: »

-RIB

Like i said in the other thread, i totally get you. I cant remember another Game that disappointed us so fast. One example of how i felt the epicness gone. I have a female friend who just by me got into Gaming.
    She is really interested and wants to play AND sit next to one , just enjoying what she sees. I showed her the Aircraft Carrier single player mission from BF 3 and the Tank attack. Same with various Maps from BF 3 and 4.
    Seeing the building at Shanghai going down made her Eyes wide. Or sitting next to me when me and my buddies jumped into a Jeep and single handedly conquered and defended a Flag at Golmund railway and bandar Desert.

And yet i cant think of anythink similar i can show her in this game once she comes back from here Holiday tomorrow....

Meaning no offense, your definition of an epic BF experience is:

1) Single player missions, 2) Behemoths, and 3) Levolution?

Everyone has different opinions, but mine would be that NONE of those things are what make BF a great game. They didn’t even add that stuff until BF3!

The only thing you mentioned that actually is Battlefield-y is grabbing a vehicle and conquering a flag. Do you think you can’t do that in BFV?
  • Stahlmach
    edited December 2018

-RIB

Everyone has different opinions, but mine would be that NONE of those things are what make BF a great game. They didn’t even add that stuff until BF3!

The only thing you mentioned that actually is Battlefield-y is grabbing a vehicle and conquering a flag. Do you think you can’t do that in BFV?

As i said: taking your friends into a Vehicle/ or going by foot and actually making the difference. And on that way experiencing unique and fun moments. That was for me Battlefield.

And when it comes to Vehicles this rarely limited in BF V with the small exception of Hamada. Because at every other Map this is either a death sentence or senseless because spawning at the next Flag and running towards the next one, being covered the majority of the time by terrain makes more " Sense ". Just join a Game, keep in the spawning view and take your time looking how fast the Flags are changing its Owner. All this due to the small Infantry maps where you are swarmed from every side.

I never talked about wanting Tanks to be Behemoths, in fact i wrote a direct sentence mentioning that. But a WW 2 Multiplayer game that is featuring a Tiger Tank and Tanks in general should at least give you slight feeling of epicness
    once you get into this iconic machine. Like in Bf 3 & 4 getting into one filled me and my friends with a " Lets roll " feeling and not a " Well lets see how fast we come until we get killed this time ".

A last word to the single player: No Battlefield was never about that. But especially BF 3 Singleplayer gave you a nice View of what you will be experience in the Multiplayer when entering the Battlefield. And most people especially remember the Carrier Scene as something that stood out. As regarding to my female friend it was a great Eye catcher that got her into it while she realized very fast where the real fun and epicness of Battlefield was rooted.

And i miss all of that in BF V.
  • Diabolus_Musica
    788 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

-RIB

So the vehicles need to be balanced? Got it. And I agree.
  • nutcrackr
    213 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I've seen this a few times and I keep wondering exactly what you mean. I personally don't want vehicles to be OP monsters. But I get what you are saying about a general lack of movement options and vehicles making it seem too grounded. There's no levolution, there are no behemoths. So those epic moments of the last two games are gone.
  • ITS_BOB_GNARLY
    2190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

-RIB

As i said: taking your friends into a Vehicle/ or going by foot and actually making the difference. And on that way experiencing unique and fun moments. That was for me Battlefield.

And when it comes to Vehicles this rarely limited in BF V with the small exception of Hamada. Because at every other Map this is either a death sentence or senseless because spawning at the next Flag and running towards the next one, being covered the majority of the time by terrain makes more " Sense ". Just join a Game, keep in the spawning view and take your time looking how fast the Flags are changing its Owner. All this due to the small Infantry maps where you are swarmed from every side.

I never talked about wanting Tanks to be Behemoths, in fact i wrote a direct sentence mentioning that. But a WW 2 Multiplayer game that is featuring a Tiger Tank and Tanks in general should at least give you slight feeling of epicness
    once you get into this iconic machine. Like in Bf 3 & 4 getting into one filled me and my friends with a " Lets roll " feeling and not a " Well lets see how fast we come until we get killed this time ".

A last word to the single player: No Battlefield was never about that. But especially BF 3 Singleplayer gave you a nice View of what you will be experience in the Multiplayer when entering the Battlefield. And most people especially remember the Carrier Scene as something that stood out. As regarding to my female friend it was a great Eye catcher that got her into it while she realized very fast where the real fun and epicness of Battlefield was rooted.

And i miss all of that in BF V.

If you have a squad of mates, you can still get that epic feeling in tanks, they just require a little more team work now as does every other aspect of the game. Some tank drivers are finding it rough to dominate solo like they could in older titles, but if you have a squad, (a couple in the tank, 2 outside making repairs and covering) then you'll still make a major difference in games.

Plus there's a new tank map coming in the next patch.
  • LordRIB
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You know what... its been 11 days since I posted my mild disappointment in the gameplay... and BATTLEFIELD V has finally won me over.

After the last couple big patches I've actually started to have a lot of fun! I'm no longer being endlessly obliterated by bombers. I like the new Vehicle Map. Me and my friends were all on the fence about this game for a the first week but now we're all on board. Keep up the fine tuning.

Also the Story Single Player. Amazing. Thanks guys. - RIB