Why does this game feel more like CoD or Rainbow 6: Siege than Battlefield?

LeonnOrigin
21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I haven't played in a long time but I remember buying a GeForce4 Ti 4800 to play 1942 and wanting to upgrade to a 8800GT to play Battlefield 2 and have fond memories of spending potentially thousands of hours of my teenage years both at home and at internet cafe's enjoying these games and their expansions or other sequels.

Battlefield offered huge, climactic battles that at the time was unheard of, revolutionary and even today non-Battlefield titles try and sometimes do recreate.
These maps feel claustrophobic and these mechanics like hitmarkers and lean-peeking around doors is just so cheap compared to other games.

Some things can be fine tuned like the AA vs Air or Medic guns underperforming, perhaps even the animation deaths cleaned up but more than half of the maps are so packed in that everything takes place within a city block of each other.

I own RS6:S and Blackops 4 and can really excel in both of them, but when I feel like I want to excel in Battlefield I need to opt in to Assault and just play CoD at the objectives.

Comments

• heresPaul
    352 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    hissy toy guns, well they sound bad compared to battlefield 1 anyway
  • ITS_BOB_GNARLY
    2190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I also have fond memories getting hooked on BF1942. The randomness of big battles, mucking around on our own servers, playing in clan vs clan scrims and comps. Good times.

I'm also enjoying this latest title though.
  • DeadlyChickenXoP
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's almost blasphemy but PubGs gunplay has more appeal than this laser beam stuff in-game now. But BFVs polish is so good.

Lmfao … BFV has every single bug that pubg has AND a whole bunch more. And I agree that its hard to distinguish between this and CoD these days.
  • Red1Warning
    66 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Most R6 Siege maps could fit inside the aerodrome.
  • Chubzdoomer
    1397 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    It does have much more of a Call of Duty/RB6 Siege feel to it, especially since the gunplay is just so quick and lethal now. The rapid infantry movement also brings to mind Call of Duty. There's a heck of a lot of sprinting, vaulting, and running-and-gunning. I think it's been that way since BF3/4, though. It makes me miss BF2 and 2142's stamina system, which resulted in more careful/deliberate movement (silly dolphin diving aside, of course).

I still think the sheer scale of the maps as well as the squads and vehicles helps give the game its own identity, though. There's still a lot here that you just don't get from CoD or RB6.
  • Skitelz7
    980 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It feels nothing like Call of Duty or Rainbow Six: Siege.
    Nice try though.
  • Dral13
    350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don’t see how this feels like CoD at all.

R6 makes some sense with the lack of spotting and TTK, but BFV is still faster paced and has better gunplay.
  • LeonnOrigin
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Skitelz7 wrote: »
    Nice try though.

You're right, in those games you can actually walk forward and vault at the same time.
    It does have much more of a Call of Duty/RB6 Siege feel to it, especially since the gunplay is just so quick and lethal now. The rapid infantry movement also brings to mind Call of Duty. There's a heck of a lot of sprinting, vaulting, and running-and-gunning. I think it's been that way since BF3/4, though. It makes me miss BF2 and 2142's stamina system, which resulted in more careful/deliberate movement (silly dolphin diving aside, of course).

I still think the sheer scale of the maps as well as the squads and vehicles helps give the game its own identity, though. There's still a lot here that you just don't get from CoD or RB6.

Yeah this would be easier to settle into if the maps at least had some more vehicles and were spread out more so vehicles had a purpose. You don't even need a jeep to transport because you infinite sprint almost as fast as CoD and get to the other objective so quick.
  • realMartiniHenry
    152 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Nice try though.

But didnt you listen to Banhammer72 ? It has throwing knives and you can run fast, so it simply must be like call of duty. Because no other game where you have weapons to throw and can run fast and have a low TTK is anything else then call of duty.

Every game is its own beast. I never understood the stupid tendency to compare every game you dont like to call of duty, just to make it look bad. And what have Rainbow 6: Siege and Call of Duty to do with each other? They are not even alike. The only simularity between those 2 games is the low amount of players per team and the smaller maps. And BF5 has a large amount of players and also a lot of larger maps (Hamada, Twisted Steel, Arras, Navik, Aerodrome and soon the panzerstorm map).
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Nice try though.

But didnt you listen to Banhammer72 ? It has throwing knives and you can run fast, so it simply must be like call of duty. Because no other game where you have weapons to throw and can run fast and have a low TTK is anything else then call of duty.

Every game is its own beast. I never understood the stupid tendency to compare every game you dont like to call of duty, just to make it look bad. And what have Rainbow 6: Siege and Call of Duty to do with each other? They are not even alike. The only simularity between those 2 games is the low amount of players per team and the smaller maps. And BF5 has a large amount of players and also a lot of larger maps (Hamada, Twisted Steel, Arras, Navik, Aerodrome and soon the panzerstorm map).

Arras and Aerodrome areent big maps if you take a close look. On Arras every Flags switches sides every minute because every Flag is just one short sprint away from the next. And Aerodrome: the prefect example of a small meatgrinder map with corridors because left and right of C is sniper territory. Same with Narvik. The typical two corridors are from A over to C and E or the second route from B to F. Thats its.
  • Banhammer72
    416 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Nice try though.

Question? Who said I didn't like the game? I certainly didn't, but you can live in denial all you want, the CoDification of this game is coming on in leaps and bounds. I am willing to admit it, it's fact the evidence is there.

• SlowOldWarrior
    461 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    No, BF5 is not COD - it is just more like COD than BF used to be. Not simply a yes or no question.

Imagine a scale with BF3 as the scale compared with the subsequent BF releases:

BF3...................................................................................................................................COD
    BF3...BF4..........................................................................................................................COD
    BF3...BF4......................BF1.............................................................................................COD
    BF3...BF4......................BF1............................................................BF5...........................COD

This scale is primarily armor/vehicle relative, amount of armor, and map size.

Does that make sense?

I did not include BF:Hardline, because of obvious reasons. I am using BF3 as the basis of my opinion because that is when I started. I played 1942 back in the day on PC but not with any real teamwork, I didn't "get it". I played the single player of Bad Company in Afghanistan in 2011 but without xbox live, and it was a good single player game. I played BF3 multiplayer online when I got home. It was like a religious experience for me - I "got it", it was the best multiplayer game that I had ever played, and BF4 nearly replicated that experience.

It feels to me that the general BF direction has been towards more accessible and simpler game mechanics with every release, with BF5 being the exception. BF5 is much less forgiving than core BF - it punishes run & gun, while BF1 rewarded it. As others have already said, BF5 is much more like the hardcore BF experience with a minimal, but without friendly fire.

While I believe that they would be better served by core and hardcore game modes, my primary issue isn't is with the shifting away from large scale vehicle warfare (BF) as opposed to smaller arena gameplay (COD) - in comparison to previous BF games.

This just my opinion - please feel free to edit and add previous BF titles to the left or right of BF3 or whatever.
  • realMartiniHenry
    edited December 2018
    Stahlmach wrote: »
    Nice try though.

Arras and Aerodrome areent big maps if you take a close look. On Arras every Flags switches sides every minute because every Flag is just one short sprint away from the next. And Aerodrome: the prefect example of a small meatgrinder map with corridors because left and right of C is sniper territory. Same with Narvik. The typical two corridors are from A over to C and E or the second route from B to F. Thats its.

Arras is not a bad map to cruise around on with a vehicle. Its actually a lot of fun to drive around on Arras with the Staghound tank-buggy. And Aerodrome may be not as large as BF 4 maps like Golmud Railway, but it is definitely not call of duty sized small.You also have to see that not a lot of people want to play maps which are as large and empty as Golmud Railway. They cant make 8 maps of that type orelse more then 3/4 of the community would stop playing the game.Most of the players run around as infantry and for infantry its not fun to run several minutes to get from one point to the other. Beside good luck dodging all the sniper bullets, from snipers camping half a mile away, headglitched behind some random level geometry, while you run around on this large open maps. You could see that in the custom map rotations on rented servers in BF3,4. Not much of them had those extrem large, wide open maps in their playlists in BF3,4.
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Arras is not a bad map to cruise around on with a vehicle. Its actually a lot of fun to drive around on Arras with the Staghound tank-buggy. And Aerodrome may be not as large as BF 4 maps like Golmud Railway, but it is definitely not call of duty sized small.You also have to see that not a lot of people want to play maps which are as large and empty as Golmud Railway. They cant make 8 maps of that type orelse more then 3/4 of the community would stop playing the game.Most of the players run around as infantry and for infantry its not fun to run several minutes to get from one point to the other. Beside good luck dodging all the sniper bullets, from snipers camping half a mile away, headglitched behind some random level geometry, while you run around on this large open maps. You could see that in the custom map rotations on rented servers in BF3,4. Not much of them had those extrem large, wide open maps in their playlists in BF3,4.

Oh please i played BF 3 & 4 long enough, especially on rented servers and Maps like Caspian Border, Bandar Desert, Goldmud Railway or Dragon Pass were liked because they were big but had certain areas were you could have a tense infantry fight and other places where Vehicles battled it out. And others where it all came together. Like the Village in Bandar Desert.
    It all worked even with Snipers etc.
    Here its mostly just one big fast paced, Infantry meatgrinding. And making the Assault class being the " Super Class " makes total sense in hindsight.
  • SlowOldWarrior
    461 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Nice try though.

Unfortunately this is probably the truth, they will gladly leave us BF traditionalists behind for the COD, Fortnite, RB6, and Minecraft market share. But losing the core BF audience could be costly - what if the new audience doesn't like it, and the loyalists give up?

As far as maps, agreed - people would grind Metro and Locker to unlock gun attachments. Also, there was only one infantry only map on the initially released maps - BF3 Metro, BF4 Locker, and BF1 Argonne, but I liked the change-up. Not so much now...
  • realMartiniHenry
    edited December 2018

Oh please i played BF 3 & 4 long enough, especially on rented servers and Maps like Caspian Border, Bandar Desert, Goldmud Railway or Dragon Pass were liked because they were big but had certain areas were you could have a tense infantry fight and other places where Vehicles battled it out. And others where it all came together. Like the Village in Bandar Desert.
    It all worked even with Snipers etc.
    Here its mostly just one big fast paced, Infantry meatgrinding. And making the Assault class being the " Super Class " makes total sense in hindsight.

They where liked by you and other tank players. And there is nothing wrong about liking them. But they where not liked by the majority of other players , who play 80%, or something simular to that number, of their gametime infantry. I also dont like meatgrinder maps like Operation Locker. But Arras, Twisted Steel, or most of the other Battlefield 5 maps are nothing like Operation Locker or Argone Forest. The only Argone Forest like map in this game is Fjell. Even Devastation has not many chockepoints.

The thing where i would agree with you on is that the map borders could be a bit larger in some areas. To often you find yourself running into restricted spawn areas where the 10 second timer starts.Especially in some of the game modes where enemy player camp in their protected spawn areas and shooting at you but you cant really get to them. Thats not good and should be changed.