Battlefield 2 shipped with 14 maps 14 YEARS ago and had the biggest maps in the entire BF franchise!

Comments

  • Agente_Silva
    158 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited November 2018
    You said you had nothing else to play and I asked if ANY single player isn´t an option and suggested the Wolfenstein series from Bethesda.

    edit: LOL, I haven´t noticed the irony back in your post Focke :smiley:
    Post edited by Agente_Silva on
  • ragnarok013
    3693 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    And still some think the maps are huge. The player base of today wants headless run and gun on small and medium size maps. Sad.

    That's because most of the current BF player base didn't play the classic BF titles, they came in with Bad Company and its small maps so they're used to a specific BF experience. In every modern BF title since BC2 the forums say we want more large vehicle maps, then maps like Heavy Metal, Bandar Desert, Armored Shield, etc go largely unplayed by the wider community - the only exception that I can think of is Golmud Railway.
  • SirBobdk
    5069 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    And still some think the maps are huge. The player base of today wants headless run and gun on small and medium size maps. Sad.

    That's because most of the current BF player base didn't play the classic BF titles, they came in with Bad Company and its small maps so they're used to a specific BF experience. In every modern BF title since BC2 the forums say we want more large vehicle maps, then maps like Heavy Metal, Bandar Desert, Armored Shield, etc go largely unplayed by the wider community - the only exception that I can think of is Golmud Railway.
    Agree and that is sad.
    But you can also see that the Devs have some problems with designing large maps. Hamada is large, but not very well designed with the buildings in one end and desert in the majority of the map. it gives a bad dynamic. In addition, the map lacks transport vehicles.
    Post edited by SirBobdk on
  • DevilsBathtub
    853 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    We have still to play the larger vehicle based maps, calm yer left tittie.
  • Sammy_SUN1
    53 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It seems to me all the game was made in a hurry. The maps are nothing compared with BF1. 2 maps are big and interesting Hamada and Rotterdam. The rest are made of only pathways and u have no way to go, just to fight the campers that hide all over the place, on the side of the path, in front of you. i don;t kile at all. I can;t believe that the same team from Dice made the last BF titles.
  • DrunkwoIf
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    you know I do prefer bigger maps way more than these small maps. but that doesnt mean they shouldnt be in the game. for those who dont know, in BF2/2142 all of those huge maps could be reduced in size to a more infantry type of game play. and server admins had the option to do this, you could put a rotation of maps bigger, smaller, more vehicles, less vehicles. There was just flat out options for everybody. THAT is where Dice has really failed us. They have taken away options from us players and forced us to only play what they decide is fun. and im sorry but that alienates part of the playerbase and the ones who like big maps with vehicles are being kicked to the curb.
  • focke2222
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DrunkwoIf wrote: »
    you know I do prefer bigger maps way more than these small maps. but that doesnt mean they shouldnt be in the game. for those who dont know, in BF2/2142 all of those huge maps could be reduced in size to a more infantry type of game play. and server admins had the option to do this, you could put a rotation of maps bigger, smaller, more vehicles, less vehicles. There was just flat out options for everybody. THAT is where Dice has really failed us. They have taken away options from us players and forced us to only play what they decide is fun. and im sorry but that alienates part of the playerbase and the ones who like big maps with vehicles are being kicked to the curb.

    AMEN!!!
  • Gunn3r_MG
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If you look at most of the maps released from conquest mode , you can see a good portion of all the other flags when standing at a single one . A lot but not all , you can shoot to the other flag. With 64 players on these types of maps , it results in run and gun, arena type game play. As for the game overall ? I am trying to like it but I am feeling more like BF V is the result of mashup of Fortnight, COD and PUBG. I miss when BF felt like the team accomplished something instead of some guys running around only caring about their KDR's. When it put more effort into game play, maps, and weapon balance instead of wasting resources on which skins will be the hot topic at some middle school cafeteria table. When it had large maps and my squad mates were able to plan and use tactics , not the spawn and instantly run/ die because some jerk is sitting @ B flag shooting into D , E, A, C. We need maps like Heavy Metal. Instead we got arena maps. Fjell ?
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    focke2222 wrote: »
    focke2222 wrote: »
    focke2222 wrote: »
    and battlefield v doesn't do anything better, the only thing you did better : graphics, nothing more.
    it's really sad that we are in 2018 and you guys have yet to surpass the map size from a masterpiece that came out +14 YEARS AGO!!

    pathetic!!

    and what exactly is the point in having larger and larger maps?


    It's not only about about the map size, but mostly how they are designed, medium/small maps have always been part of it, even in battlefield 2 and all it's expansion that were given for free in patch 1.5, we had loads of medium maps that were fun, and were greatly designed, you can't even compare them to the current battlefield maps.

    I don't see whats wrong with bfv map design. in fact there seems to be a lot more cover and hence flanking opportunites than in bf2 so I really don't get what's the problem. could u go into more detail as to what u think was done bad in bfv?

    The cap points, which is mainly how the map is designed.

    If you look at the maps from Battlefield 2 or any battlefield around it, (1942,) you will see each flag point has quite a distance to travel, not all of them, but most of the large maps do, in battlefield V there is literally only one map that has a decent travel, and it's literally on only 1 cap point, can't remember the map but it's the one in the desert.

    also removing alot of cap points made this very very clear which direction they are going now, so this to me says everything.

    it's also not about the maps only guys, the GAMEPLAY? the leveling system? the award system? the unlocking system? the squad system? all the stats in the main menu? etc all were far better in battlefield 2, and how have these guys not improved in the 14 years that have passed?
    if you saw a high level dude on battlefield 2, you knew he had been playing for years, literally years, but it's known that the current gen just wants a CoD leveling grind, and don't get me started on the gameplay, which they have yet to surpass still, after 14 years? you are making me laugh now.. content..
    the moment it went to consoles, it turned into a disaster, mind you these were PC exclusives too.

    Each map feels like it's designed with this wacky game mode in mind, called "operations" which is not the bread and butter of battlefield, and never will.

    This, this and again this!

    Especially when it comes to Flags so close together that defending gets useless. Because will be swarmed from every side anyway. While your Team goes on with its " Nascar running in circles to the next Flag " playstyle.
  • RetroBitPixel
    203 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    We need more maps like Hamada. But comparing the amount of content to Battlefield 2 is kinda lame. You simply can't compare both games..
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Gunn3r_MG wrote: »
    If you look at most of the maps released from conquest mode , you can see a good portion of all the other flags when standing at a single one . A lot but not all , you can shoot to the other flag. With 64 players on these types of maps , it results in run and gun, arena type game play. As for the game overall ? I am trying to like it but I am feeling more like BF V is the result of mashup of Fortnight, COD and PUBG. I miss when BF felt like the team accomplished something instead of some guys running around only caring about their KDR's. When it put more effort into game play, maps, and weapon balance instead of wasting resources on which skins will be the hot topic at some middle school cafeteria table. When it had large maps and my squad mates were able to plan and use tactics , not the spawn and instantly run/ die because some jerk is sitting @ B flag shooting into D , E, A, C. We need maps like Heavy Metal. Instead we got arena maps. Fjell ?

    This! The current Meta is the " Nascar rat race towards the next Flag ". Trying to defend the Flag you just conquered ? No sense in that because the enemy can and will swarm you from every possible direction. No wonder with the next Flag being just around the Corner.
    I mean with the exception of Hamada i barely witnessed a group of guys getting into a vehicle and trying to get to a certain Flag. Besides right at the start. With a billion welcoming Panzerfaust and the possibility to spawn at the closest flag or a Squadmate, it would be stupid anyway. And that just destroys one of the main and fun elements that Battlefield stood for.
  • 78-Myers
    85 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    focke2222 wrote: »
    and battlefield v doesn't do anything better, the only thing you did better : graphics, nothing more.
    it's really sad that we are in 2018 and you guys have yet to surpass the map size from a masterpiece that came out +14 YEARS AGO!!

    pathetic!!

    Nobody now wants to sit for 20 minutes real time waiting for action.its a different time.evolve or move on.
  • DrunkwoIf
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    78-Myers wrote: »
    focke2222 wrote: »
    and battlefield v doesn't do anything better, the only thing you did better : graphics, nothing more.
    it's really sad that we are in 2018 and you guys have yet to surpass the map size from a masterpiece that came out +14 YEARS AGO!!

    pathetic!!

    Nobody now wants to sit for 20 minutes real time waiting for action.its a different time.evolve or move on.

    if you couldnt find action in the older games then either you didnt play it and are just making crap up. or you were a complete noob and had no idea what you were doing.
  • SirBobdk
    5069 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DrunkwoIf wrote: »
    78-Myers wrote: »
    focke2222 wrote: »
    and battlefield v doesn't do anything better, the only thing you did better : graphics, nothing more.
    it's really sad that we are in 2018 and you guys have yet to surpass the map size from a masterpiece that came out +14 YEARS AGO!!

    pathetic!!

    Nobody now wants to sit for 20 minutes real time waiting for action.its a different time.evolve or move on.

    if you couldnt find action in the older games then either you didnt play it and are just making crap up. or you were a complete noob and had no idea what you were doing.
    Like most on Hamada who dont have a clue how to play a large map. If its not a small cluster map they get lost.
  • focke2222
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2019
    The battlefield franchise is in a very sad state!!
    78-Myers wrote: »
    focke2222 wrote: »
    and battlefield v doesn't do anything better, the only thing you did better : graphics, nothing more.
    it's really sad that we are in 2018 and you guys have yet to surpass the map size from a masterpiece that came out +14 YEARS AGO!!

    pathetic!!

    *
    Post edited by focke2222 on
  • smys123
    973 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Devon202 wrote: »
    Guys, we all have COD to thank for this ****.
    They invented the "meat grinder" game play, and the little kids lapped it up like hungry dogs.
    COD has been DICE/EAs benchmark ever since.

    So instead of trying to be thier own game, set their own standards and FORCE COD to try to immitate BF, they worked the opposite and have tried to match COD in terms of sales. In doing so they lose before they even start.

    I would be willing to bet an entire years worth of my income, that none, NONE of the developers that worked on V have ever even seen the intro to BF2. And that is a damn shame and I true sign of **** developers.

    I could write an entire book of the things that NEED to change in this game, and I am willing to be that those things were also in BF3, 4 and 1.

    This game caters to money errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr console gamers and it whimpers to the fact that those console gamers ( with mommies CC ) can easily buy the next new game come next tuesday so you better let those little kids win or they will move on.

    That is a horrible business model.

    Thank you COD, and **** off Infinity Ward.

    I disagree somewhat. I think we have consoles to thank for this. Once the console wars began the BF franchise as we (PC players anyway) knew it changed. Everything went towards the easier-to-play and more casual experience with a lowered skill ceiling....let's be honest the keyboard has a lot more buttons to map than a controller....When they released BF2 on console I grabbed a copy, it was not the same experience/game that I played on PC, not by a long shot. I'm not touting PC over consoles (I have several consoles I still play) I just think the introduction into this arena forced the devs to make one experience for all instead of one for each platform.....thus here we are.
  • focke2222
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    smys123 wrote: »
    Devon202 wrote: »
    Guys, we all have COD to thank for this ****.
    They invented the "meat grinder" game play, and the little kids lapped it up like hungry dogs.
    COD has been DICE/EAs benchmark ever since.

    So instead of trying to be thier own game, set their own standards and FORCE COD to try to immitate BF, they worked the opposite and have tried to match COD in terms of sales. In doing so they lose before they even start.

    I would be willing to bet an entire years worth of my income, that none, NONE of the developers that worked on V have ever even seen the intro to BF2. And that is a damn shame and I true sign of **** developers.

    I could write an entire book of the things that NEED to change in this game, and I am willing to be that those things were also in BF3, 4 and 1.

    This game caters to money errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr console gamers and it whimpers to the fact that those console gamers ( with mommies CC ) can easily buy the next new game come next tuesday so you better let those little kids win or they will move on.

    That is a horrible business model.

    Thank you COD, and **** off Infinity Ward.

    I disagree somewhat. I think we have consoles to thank for this. Once the console wars began the BF franchise as we (PC players anyway) knew it changed. Everything went towards the easier-to-play and more casual experience with a lowered skill ceiling....let's be honest the keyboard has a lot more buttons to map than a controller....When they released BF2 on console I grabbed a copy, it was not the same experience/game that I played on PC, not by a long shot. I'm not touting PC over consoles (I have several consoles I still play) I just think the introduction into this arena forced the devs to make one experience for all instead of one for each platform.....thus here we are.

    Someone is speaking to my heart!!
  • StingX71
    828 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    focke2222 wrote: »
    and battlefield v doesn't do anything better, the only thing you did better : graphics, nothing more.
    it's really sad that we are in 2018 and you guys have yet to surpass the map size from a masterpiece that came out +14 YEARS AGO!!

    pathetic!!

    Some of the most popular maps in the BF series have been quite small. I like playing big maps too, but if lots of players prefer fast-action games on smaller maps, wouldn't it be kind of dumb for DICE not to meet that demand? Big maps often have areas which most players ignore, so size alone does not necessarily make for a better map.

    BF1/V are meat grinders compared to the other BF's. Having empty parts of a map are because of bad design.

    BF developer banned while playing CoD, this speaks volumes on why BF is the way it is now. He's also a "Pro Player" which imho does not necessarily make one a good developer for causal games.

    battlefield-v-developer-got-banned-in-call-of-duty-black-ops-4
  • spartanx169x
    873 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Devon202 wrote: »
    Guys, we all have COD to thank for this ****.

    I could write an entire book of the things that NEED to change in this game, and I am willing to be that those things were also in BF3, 4 and 1.

    This game caters to money errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr console gamers and it whimpers to the fact that those console gamers ( with mommies CC ) can easily buy the next new game come next tuesday so you better let those little kids win or they will move on.

    That is a horrible business model.

    Thank you COD, and **** off Infinity Ward.

    I would believe that, however the alpha for this game was done by PC players only. Additionally, most of the people that have been begging for a fast TTK and got it are mostly PC players. The YouTube’s and twitch players that are often referred to play PC. TTK2.0 for BF 1 appears to be the result of trying to appease PC you tubers. As many have stated V could easily be called “Hardcore Lite”. Hardcore players tend to be PC players for a whole list of reasons. Not to mention that they do not balance PC and console separately.

    If anything V is a PC players game not console.
  • Shadders_X
    486 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    StingX71 wrote: »
    focke2222 wrote: »
    and battlefield v doesn't do anything better, the only thing you did better : graphics, nothing more.
    it's really sad that we are in 2018 and you guys have yet to surpass the map size from a masterpiece that came out +14 YEARS AGO!!

    pathetic!!

    Some of the most popular maps in the BF series have been quite small. I like playing big maps too, but if lots of players prefer fast-action games on smaller maps, wouldn't it be kind of dumb for DICE not to meet that demand? Big maps often have areas which most players ignore, so size alone does not necessarily make for a better map.

    BF1/V are meat grinders compared to the other BF's. Having empty parts of a map are because of bad design.

    BF developer banned while playing CoD, this speaks volumes on why BF is the way it is now. He's also a "Pro Player" which imho does not necessarily make one a good developer for causal games.

    battlefield-v-developer-got-banned-in-call-of-duty-black-ops-4
    Hi,
    Playing Golmud on BF4 - this is a large map with lots of dips and rock outcrops - which helps hide from a certain direction.

    The problem with large maps now - is that all the buildings are destroyed very quickly (Golmud - aircraft, helicopters, tanks etc). So you have no where to hide - and you have to be in a vehicle to survive any length of time.

    Having destructible environment is a novelty - but should be restricted. As others have stated on BF4 and BF1 - a levelled map is just open season for aircraft, tanks and snipers etc.

    It is good that Dice try new things, but they are excessive in the implementation - so it really ruins the game if you are not a sniper or a vehicle enthusiast.

    Regards,
    Shadders.
Sign In or Register to comment.