Battlefield V made me appreciate Battlefield 1 much more.

Tactical_wizzzeR
264 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
even though BFV is more tactical, more in depth with more subsystems to just about every element, the game simply isn't as action packed and energetic as BF1, it's static, there is a lack of movement and urgency and you are overtly penalized for daring to flank, or play more agressively than usual.
in BF1 I was constantly on my toes, always there was something to do, very little time wasted with filler stuff, some say it was too fast paced- I say it was paced just right with nothing wasted.

BFV is clumsy, restrictive and and confusing. it feels like when DICE created BF1, they thought to themselves- how can we turn WW1 into a game? and they approched that project with that mindset- gamify WW1, and they succeded, it was clear that from that mantra DICE wanted to impose as few restrictions as possible on a setting that would have restricted them more than any other setting before. BFV plays like DICE chased every possible checklist possible to satisfy my crowd, the more hardcore oldschool veterans. no more 3d spotting for everyone, ammo and health is low, you feel restricted after given so much freedom in the past. and while I've pictured in my head the next Battlefield to play like BFV now that I play it, it doesn't feel right.

it's not entirely the restrictions, but the incease in TTK, the death experience... those restrictions that BFV imposes on itself, after years of playing Battleifeld games where you could be a team player, but can also be autonomous and daring with your movement across the map, those restrictions feel like shakles.

maybe BFV should have had regenerating health to full health like previous titles, maybe it should have 3d spotting back, maybe those "casual clutches" are what held the games together and gave teamwork immediacy, gave players confidence in their movement and gave people well... it gave them fun!

BFV feels like it was designed to appease a more competitive crowd that doesn't exist for Battlefield. DICE hit their best sweet spot between hardcore and casual in Battlefield 3 and 4, they went a bit more casual in Battlefield 1, and they went a bit too hardcore in BFV. but out of all those game, after a long day of work when I wanna just unwind from this complicated restrictive world, I'll rather play BF1.

Comments

• BullseyeJimBowen
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Indeed. BF1 had character and specatacle: even if you were having a bad game- and boy did I have plenty of those- BF1 was just fun: explosions and mayhem and cinematics. But it also has solid gameplay with just enough tactical edge to allow a good team to win. V might be a different beast, but to me it just feels flimsy and, to be honest, a bit boring.
  • x-Mikuru_Beam-x
    187 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I feel the same OP, currently I find BFV quite boring and it’s made me truly appreciate how wonderfully wild BF1 is!! I don’t care if folks think V is more in-depth and not for ‘casuals’, I’d rather be a casual and enjoy the action packed fun!
  • SlugSniper
    978 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    And then there are the cosmetics...

• boutneus
    2432 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Never made the switch after playing that awful beta. Doesn’t feel like I’m missing out much
  • GrislyAccord
    15 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I've been kicking around the idea of getting BFV, but I'm having a blast with BF1. I am kind of curious what the differences between a "hardcore" BF game and a "casual" BF game is. Before BF1, the last FPS I played online was Battlefield: Vietnam (which I thought was fantastic game, by the way! Hear that DICE/EA? Make another danged Vietnam game!!!!) so I don't have anything to compare it to.

• SnoopTrooper187
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    even though BFV is more tactical, more in depth with more subsystems to just about every element, the game simply isn't as action packed and energetic as BF1

BF1 is one of my favorites
    I totally agree with you that BF1 is more action packed and I raised cane when BFV game first came out.
    There still things that need to be fixed and hopefully the patch hits on those things.
    But,
    Once I find a squad that works together/team or I play alongside friends this game is Fantastic and feels more action packed. Graphics are nice and you get used to the changes.

I really think this game was made to be fun but emphasizes on Squad/Team play.
    Problem ive found is when I play solo without friends is that alot of the time in games squad/team dont play together and Squad leaders dont call orders. Calling orders gives points to squad members so (i want them points and direction) Ill just be squad leader in this case and hope they will follow, sometimes they do sometimes they dont. I just hate how fast you got to call orders after your previous one. hope they make it longer.

that being said This game is great and im starting to appreciate it and hope to see you playing.
    If your frustrated and cant find good squads to play with go to platoon section and find a casual or competitive platoon to join.
    Im oldie goldie and playin since BF 2142 came out and like the new addition BFV
    Later
    BlazinKronic75
  • Forkbeard84
    1487 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BF5 does suck. Its way too hardcore for my playstyle. Spotting has been severely limited. TtK is too fast. Tanks are all wobbly and drive like they have one low gear. There are no horses!

I bought BF5 and cant stand it. I’ve decided to just keep playing Battlefield 1 which is a much better game in my opinion.
  • MarxistDictator
    4472 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    I only ended up with BF V because I was too lazy to cancel my pre order, what a mistake that was. Early access and everything and I doubt I've played more than 2 hours lol. It seriously is just garbage straight across the board. Terrible game pacing awful level design worthless vehicles and non existent balance coupled with a number of gameplay destroying problems they won't fix for months. What even am I missing out on? It is the equivalent of shoving poop matter in my xbox.
  • BullseyeJimBowen
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    One of BFVs failings, for me at least, is that it feels like modern shooter in a WW2 wrap: laser-like automatic weapons, over-effective anti-tank troops, high rate of fire on tank and anti-tank guns, twitch-shooting, ADAD dancing etc. All of the maps could be interchangeable with the BFs set in modern times (with minor some decal swapping). Reskin this in modern a modern setting and gameplay wouldn't have to change.

The diversity thing is jarring but doesn't bother me as much as the feeling this isn't WW2 (I know that sounds facile but hopefully you know what I mean). BF1 is bat-guano crazy but it has a sense of place and time.

I'd been waiting for a WW2 shooter using Frostbite since BFBC2: but this ain't it.
  • hlysprt8
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    I mostly agree with this post although I don't mind some things like attrition, but the biggest problem for me mostly is how fast the movement is. BFV feels like cod with how fast you can just run around and the ttk gives you nearly zero chance of reacting. I know that the argument against bf1 is that it is too casual and the gun play was "bad" because the ttk was too long, but my thought is that although bfv has to be played more tactical to win, there is no real gun skill and aiming that has to be sustained. In bf1 not only do you have to do the initial aiming but you have to follow through as well or the other person can turn it around on you and kill you or get into cover. Also you can't play bf5 too aggressively which is sometimes ok but when the rest of your team is content to lose then you have no other choice but to sit back and let it happen. Playing bfv has made me better at playing bf1 though so that's cool
    Edit: also I forgot to mention how campy BFV can be. When playing conquest and you come on to a flag that is occupied, it's mostly hidden bi-poded support players or snipers that can be nearly impossible to see. It is hard to see people in bf1 as well but since you can spot people, I would look at things that seemed irregular and if I could spot it I knew it was someone hiding.
  • BoomCHAKADA
    125 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2018
    As a competitive player, Battlefield 1 was the worst battlefield game I've ever played solely because of the bad movement system and the gunplay mechanics. other than that the game looked beautiful and it had a WW1 theme. BF1 can be fun for people who don't wanna go too deep into the mechanics and are not interested in topping the scoreboard

Battlefield V is the most infuriating game I've played this year, I often find myself saying why do I have to build a supply station? what do I gain from this and that?,...why...how...why. The movement and the gunplay are a slight improvement to BF1 but everything else is a downgrade. I lived through the early horror days of BF4, but the problems were mainly glitches and bad netcode, BF4's core was tight and fun. BFV on the other hand, even simple things like the killcam and climbing ladders are flawed. BFV has problems in "EVERY" aspect.

Thinking back on how much struggle it took to fix BF4, i'm 9000% sure that this game will never be fully fixed.
  • TheGM86
    691 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What even am I missing out on?
    I'll tell you. being unable to scoop anybody in a plane because infantry barely show up on the ground and some levels have athompesheric effects that make seeing infantry even harder. Few games have made me regret buying them, I don't even play this enough to think about regretting it.

• MogwaiWarrior
    620 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Played less than 2 hours of BFV then got myself a refund. Yep, that's all the time I needed to know I didn't like BFV. Still love to play BF1 and no where close to being tired of it. It's just too much fun.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    4455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I have a feeling that Dice was extremely passionate during the development of bf1 and bfv was/is nothing but a cash grab. At least that's how it feels now. BF1 wasn't nearly as annoying and glitchy and broken on release comparing to bfv. And the game was enjoyable no matter how many controversial things and ideas it has. BFV on the other hand requires loads of polishing and fixing before I can call it a complete game.
  • SlugSniper
    978 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2018
    I have a feeling that Dice was extremely passionate during the development of bf1 and bfv was/is nothing but a cash grab. At least that's how it feels now. BF1 wasn't nearly as annoying and glitchy and broken on release comparing to bfv. And the game was enjoyable no matter how many controversial things and ideas it has. BFV on the other hand requires loads of polishing and fixing before I can call it a complete game.

Even then, BF1's "controversial" content could easily be explained away with the fact that the game focuses on the smaller elite forces of WWI, and even then, the "out of place" characters stay true to real life.

BFV really does look like the illegitimate child of Battlefield and Fortnite.
  • robmcewen
    2883 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    100% agree with you OP, found the game very slow with a lot of people playing it safe and camping, oh and the bugs! Can BF1 can have teams that won't move but at least I can ditch the camping team mates and go solo and do well in my own, with BFV I can't see this going well.
    I only ended up with BF V because I was too lazy to cancel my pre order, what a mistake that was. Early access and everything and I doubt I've played more than 2 hours lol. It seriously is just garbage straight across the board. Terrible game pacing awful level design worthless vehicles and non existent balance coupled with a number of gameplay destroying problems they won't fix for months. What even am I missing out on? It is the equivalent of shoving poop matter in my xbox.

@MarxistDictator if you have under two hours of game play you could get a refund from XBOX, you'll need to ask for a refund within 14 days of purchase, but if you ordered it some months ago don't worry, the 14 days starts from the release date, got my refund with in a couple of hours.
  • RossP317
    153 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    boutneus wrote: »
    Never made the switch after playing that awful beta. Doesn’t feel like I’m missing out much

This.

I stuck with it for three nights of Beta. It just felt half built and unfinished. Even when I got a good run at it the whole thing felt flat. Rotterdam in particular felt like a sub par Amiens. City centre zorgfest.

That third night I went back into BF1 and straight onto a huge battle at the C flag of Suez (not even one of my preferred maps) with guns, FT-17s, horses, gas, mortars, snipers etc and realised this is what I want. My heart rate was actually raised again.
  • azelenkin0306
    500 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    There were three things that kept me playing BF1 for a very long time (> 1000 hours):
    1. Operations
    2. Medic Class (currently 80K heals and 15K revives)
    3. BA rifles (for example, Gewehr M95 Infantry is one of the best rifles I've ever seen in video games)

What do we have BFV:
    • Operations - screwed. Grand Operations is a joke. Like someone said "glorified mix of random modes with some connection between". Breakthrough is a pathetic and cheap copy of BF1 Operations
    • Medic class - screwed. Stupid animations and **** SMGs. I really don't know who came up with this idea. If you don't want Medic to be a Sniper with self-heal, just don't give them damn Scopes. Easy, but not DICE's way. They decided to give Medics **** SMGs and give Scopes to all classes. **** brilliant!
    • BA rifles: basically useless, slow with a very low damage. Also based on what I've seen they've even screwed the M.95 rifle - it has a slower reload time and rate of fire.

What's the reason for buying this game, if they screwed everything I liked about BF1?

• GodOfDstruction
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    There were three things that kept me playing BF1 for a very long time (> 1000 hours):
    1. Operations
    2. Medic Class (currently 80K heals and 15K revives)
    3. BA rifles (for example, Gewehr M95 Infantry is one of the best rifles I've ever seen in video games)

What do we have BFV:
    • Operations - screwed. Grand Operations is a joke. Like someone said "glorified mix of random modes with some connection between". Breakthrough is a pathetic and cheap copy of BF1 Operations
    • Medic class - screwed. Stupid animations and **** SMGs. I really don't know who came up with this idea. If you don't want Medic to be a Sniper with self-heal, just don't give them damn Scopes. Easy, but not DICE's way. They decided to give Medics **** SMGs and give Scopes to all classes. **** brilliant!
    • BA rifles: basically useless, slow with a very low damage. Also based on what I've seen they've even screwed the M.95 rifle - it has a slower reload time and rate of fire.

What's the reason for buying this game, if they screwed everything I liked about BF1?

I 100% agree. For first time someone has said the bitter truth. I was a minute away from buying BF V, but I thought about how bad the open beta was for my experience... It's jus sad that dice had to bend their knees so much for 'fortnite' and 'pubg', they forgot what made 'battlefield'. The chaos, the urge to push, the sheer joy of jus rushing with a chamond on a flag and see all the snipers run away for their life to be taken by my shells. BF1 WILL BE EVERGREEN for me.