It's just not a good look, Dice

Comments

• Jonny_ChaosMCR
    1350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    All this PR and political BS is just noise to me, I don't care. I get enough of this crap outside of gaming.

All I want is solid gameplay.

Agree mate, you can't escape anywhere now. You avoid the news, it's on the internet, you avoid the internet pages that throw it down your neck and all your friends post it. No escape. Fed up of it all now.
  • Stahlmach
    1145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I agree that PR has been bad of late, And adding to that the delay on the patch for today.

But I was discussing this with a few of my friends earlier and I actually had to coin the phrase "you're damned if you do, And you're damned if you don't"

Sure, They COULD have pushed the patch out, But this would result in more anger from the community regarding the server instabilities

And on the flipside, The only other option is to delay the patch and this better ( for want of better word ) decision out of the 2 only real options has resulted in anger from the community too.

I was looking forward to completing the challenges for The Last Tiger War Story too :(

:edit:
    This is one of many reasons I couldn't work in the industry, The gaming industry is a minefield of bugs, glitches and communities lashing out in anger over some seemingly small things.

I get all that but tell me: When you tell people that the long expected Update is delayed and you tell them in the same sentence that you will give them the next day more details...
    Shouldnt you give them the next day more details, even if it would just be: " It will take more time than expected " ?
    Especially when almost everything about your game went wrong right from the start and keeps going that way ?
  • Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    All this PR and political BS is just noise to me, I don't care. I get enough of this crap outside of gaming.

All I want is solid gameplay.

Agree mate, you can't escape anywhere now. You avoid the news, it's on the internet, you avoid the internet pages that throw it down your neck and all your friends post it. No escape. Fed up of it all now.

It's ironic that this website became sort-of my online haven after 2016

Like you said, the trickle down is real.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    11743 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Stahlmach wrote: »

I get all that but tell me: When you tell people that the long expected Update is delayed and you tell them in the same sentence that you will give them the next day more details...
    Shouldnt you give them the next day more details, even if it would just be: " It will take more time than expected " ?
    Especially when almost everything about your game went wrong right from the start and keeps going that way ?

In an ideal world and under ideal circumstances I'd have to agree, But then again, The splash screen in BFV is also clear where it states : "we don't anticipate a long delay and we'll be back with more news tomorrow or as soon as we have it. "

Sadly it's not an ideal world and there is always a chance of hiccups occurring, Software development is a different beast altogether, Personally, I'm just happy they found these issues during certification rather than us have a patch which effectively kills off any chance of being able to play at all.

Highlighted in red is what i believe to be a statement that if you don't hear anything "tomorrow" ( today ) then you'll hear more when further information has been passed down the chain.

It's not as clear cut as "here's the info.. send it out"

It has to be passed down between different departments, Such as ( example : ) from Devs to the Producers, Producers to the Community Managers, Community Managers to the PR folks, And who knows what other departments it has to pass through before it can get finalised for publication on the BF website / Social media accounts and here on the forum.

I'm not claiming to know the ins and outs of the industry though, I'm Just sharing my experience thus far from previous games / patches on community forums ( not just BF )
  • echo-smoker93
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Thank you for this post BaronVonGoon, it represents my and many people feelings
  • asadqureshy
    127 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It is coming out tommorow:)
  • echo-smoker93
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2018
    Politics has to be removed from any sorts of entertainment. Period. No matter where it starts: fanbase or development team. Politics has nothing to do with video games at all. And if someone is thinkiging otherwise he's a blind fool or some sort of far left/far right activist and has to be removed from any questionable activity.

Second on this. I completely agree.
  • HardAimedKid
    11385 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    You all know where this game was made right? Read about where it was made. They are "leading the charge" on inclusiveness. I'm not even saying it's a bad thing, but understandably many are saying certain things don't need to be in the game and they're right they don't, but it doesn't bother me either way.

The reason I say all of this is because if you understand where the game is made and what that place is trying to do as far as activision and inclusion it isn't surprising at all and I'm surprised people are surprised lol.
  • UteUncleBarryyyy
    543 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Dice you badly need to hire a public image firm

** Disclaimer: Mods this thread is NOT political in nature, it has nothing to do with politics and all to do with questioning Dice's priorities. If you feel like anything in the post is not appropriate please ask me to edit it rather than go with the usual thread lock.

*** Please keep political discussions out of the thread as any mention of it will likely get it locked.

Dice had a party I think in LA last week to celebrate the release of BFV. Cool. Everyone deserves to party after a job... done.

Enlarge the pic and read the small text (Smaller than the #Everyonesbattlefield part). It's some of our quotes. Not ours specifically but the quotes of some of our fellow idiots in the community. One of them was a thread here actually I think.

m9CtHeu.jpg

So Dice is taking such a beating from the community and the gaming community at large and they're acting like the victim. This is the same friction that idiot EA wig conjured up when he said my way or the highway don't like it don't buy it. Again this has NOTHING to do with the politics part and EVERYTHING to do with FRICTION. The EA wig decided to build a fence between himself and the community. And we know the result of that: He got canned, the game has (Likely) suffered sales wise, and the gaming community at large has made it their mission to trash the Battlefield franchise.

My question is… Dice, why are you following in his footsteps and creating friction between you and the community? Yes, the people who make the comments in your picture are idiots (And we the community would like to distance ourselves from them) but they're the same people the guy got let go for insulting. They're part of the target audience pie you’re trying to sell the game to.

So that political stuff shouldn’t be your priority *** at this moment in time *** . Fix the game and get out of the politics you keep telling us on the forums to get out of. Seriously, The game needs work, needs fixing. Keep the women, it's fine a lot of us get that IT’S A GAME, some may prefer authenticity but it remains a game so the mature ones in the community those of us who maybe able to set the tone on the forums and reddit and twitter we can help you by calming down the loud, angry, immature minority. BUT Dice right now should be about priorities. Just look at the text in the picture. Not a good look Dice. Stop acting like the victim and stop creating friction between you and the community. Fix the goddamned game.
    That photo is the cringiest thing I’ve seen in a long time. Also, how is it “everyone’s battlefield” when 2/3rd’s of the customer base hasn’t bought the game :D. Look forward to picking up a copy next week when it’s $2.
  • OptimaForma
    129 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @QHUNK9000
    Political discussions are not permitted

Meh
  • OptimaForma
    129 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    I do miss talking about stuff you know. Like. Like political stuff and such. But i guess if you really REALLY look at the game, there is a big political message right in front of you. I can almost hear the dev team thinking up dlc's. "Skip poland, lets go straight to the incineration of Cologne." I havent had one political thought about that, reflecting my bad taste of humor. Maybe later
  • crabman169
    12841 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I applaud dice for taking this in stride. You might think that "wtf that's messed up" but the community created this. All Dice did was make an art media that YOU the consumers have total freedom to get or not.

You guys all flamed over this and wonder why EA/Dice has finally put the foot down and gone "you know what? We don't want these customers".

Would you continuly serve abusive customers that don't know Jack about your work? Isnt there that sign "right to refuse service"?

With the way the community jumps on each and every thing fueled by youtubers looking for clicks and/or ones that have personal grudges against EA so do all they can to paint them in a bad light; from #notmybattlefield BS to getting upset over "white man" being censored in game chat (but not upset over refrigerator or spaghetti etc) to getting mad at EA/Dice for the launch of bfv yet on that same coin get mad at them for delaying a patch BY ONE DAY to fix issues with said patch.

I don't see anyone jumping on how transparent and open Dice have been with giving us all the info we need before launch, during and after. The very same communication begged for years for is getting tossed to the side because people have now decided to wage a vendetta against EA/Dice because they got their triggered over a statement that is common sense.

I betcha Patrick is snicking looking at this community after he called it out. You've literally gone and proved him right time and time again.

I mean think about it; people are getting mad that EA/Dice is having a launch party of their work in which they are making fun of the stupid hate it got. I guess you guys would also be mad if Activation release images of CoD launch parties with the Devs rolling in money piles with the quotes on the wall of "it's the same every year!" Etc?

Clearly they know the numbers playing and it's more than the vocal minority screaming on the internet.

Ironic people are all tough to talk crap about EA/Dice and slander them since May for bfv yet when they laugh at them they throw a temper trantrum.

Meanwhile we have the team working on the game trying to make to great for everyone; trying to squash bugs and give you new things; how you do think those guy's feel knowing this is some of the "feedback" they are getting? Honestly stuff being a game dev; amount of pressure and stress from all sides must be amense and it's just over a video game; an art medium.

The only thing I really question is the forced inclusivness for the sake of it. But given that it's entirely optional and just pixels in as video game I can get over that fact; especially given this was meant to happen at least 5 years ago with BF4.

• Micas99
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    munkt0r wrote: »
    ITT people on a videogame forum tell one of the most successful companies in the world how to be successful.

How much has EA's market cap tanked since last summer? Something like 40%?

SUCCESS!
  • crabman169
    12841 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    crabman169 wrote: »
    I applaud dice for taking this in stride. You might think that "wtf that's messed up" but the community created this. All Dice did was make an art media that YOU the consumers have total freedom to get or not.

You guys all flamed over this and wonder why EA/Dice has finally put the foot down and gone "you know what? We don't want these customers".

Woww yeah ok I didn't read the rest.

Sorry but if I'm a business and I hold a party that secretly/cheapishly/weasel-ishly has a picture that paints my own customers as aggressors and me as victim especially after my big boss got burned for telling them "you dont like my way, don't buy my product" then if my party pictures leak and I get flamed for it I would take it stride and say I brought this on myself.

A business is supposed to appease it's client base, even the difficult ones. Tolerate them. Treat them well. Don't go and secretly trash them. Is the reward for good behaviour not good behaviour in return.

Well that certainly explains things; cant be bothered to read on a forum where at least 50% of what you do is reading. Nice.

You literally just proved my point; you are making it out that dice is trying to play the victim when they ARE the victim. The community is the aggressor who has been flinging crap at them since that May reveal trailer; that's the entire reason why Patrick come out and said what he did! Of which he was entirely right; it's pretty basic common sense. You don't like something you don't get it. If you are allergic to peanuts do you go to the supermarket and start opening up jars of peanut butter and eating them with a desert spoon?

Lmao Dice has done nothing but try to appease the community since its launch as a studio and it's gotten flank all these years; they finally get fed up with it and suddenly the community is trying to play innocent.

Yeah a business should try to reach as many as possible; but you are telling me that even if a group of people come in and trash your business but never buy anything you'd continue to let them in? Oh that's right though people get banned from those businesses.

Why should EA/Dice care about people who weren't gonna buy their product in the first place? People have been complaining since May about them apprantly "pandering" to people that won't get the game yet you now claim that they should else it make them look bad?

Bit of a double standard here no?

• Stahlmach
    1145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    @crabman
    If they wouldnt have cared they would have left the skin costumization the way they created it at the start. But guess what ? They didnt after their precious Pre-Orders numbers reached a critical low.
    Because behind them is a stock market listed Company. And a Company wants and needs to make money. When Dice wants to make political statements or try to be some kind of NGO with a certain agenda, they should either leave the gaming business or dont act so sensitive when the former and current costumers react towards such an attitude in a certain way.

Keep politics out of your product or live with the consequences.
    The company that makes the washing machine that i am buying or the kitchen should stick to that, i dont need a washing machine or an Oven plastered with political slogans when i open the hatch of one of them.
    Same with these kind of videogames.
  • UteUncleBarryyyy
    543 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Crabman goin' HAM on that troll button.
  • Sixclicks
    5065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    EA, and apparently DICE too, doesn't care about customer PR.
  • WHISPonPCin480P
    175 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    I agree. For me, DICE could have anything for all I care. What gets to me is the sheer level of smugness that comes along with the more "controversial" things they've added, and how inauthentic "the most authentic WW2 experience" is. Don't sit here and tell me it's authentic? Tell me, "we've taken some creative freedom, and ... "

We're playing a video game for crying out loud. It's not the place to champion certain ideologies and portray those who disagree as idiots. As much as they want to think they're making a difference in the world, they aren't.

Not a business major, but it seems to me you'd want to minimize the amount of "friction" between you and your consumers... Not really sure what's so hard to grasp about that.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!