This Week in Battlefield V

Anyone get any WW2 vibes at all?

BullseyeJimBowen
27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Some of my best memories of FPSs come from CoD2 way back when and since playing BFBC2, I've been waiting for a WW2 game with Frostbite since what feels like forever. Then news of this dropped, and despite the naff reveal trailer, I thought this may be what I've been waiting for.

Nope. Obviously there's plenty of justified moaning about a half finished game but one of the things that pisses me off the most is that this isn't immersive as a WW2 shooter: it just feels like a modern combat shooter with a WW2 skin. We got laser-like automatic weapons, pointless infantry bolt-actions, tanks made of paper, troops running like they're laced with amphetamines (ok, that's accurate I guess, but you see my point), maps with very little in the way of historical character (change a few decals and cars and they could be in any modern shooter), plus the notorious diversity hammering which I didn't think would bother as much as it does.

Everything firefight seems too deadly, too accurate and nowhere near chaotic and noisy enough. Maybe this is more realistic than cinematic, but it isn't as much fun.

The graphics, UI and general presentation just doesn't give me a sense of character or time the way BF1 did (I'm even surprisingly missing the hitherto annoying intros to BF1's operations matches- in retrospect they kinda worked). Presentation seems rushed and skimped-on compared to the previous game.

Dice wanted to change up the BF formula after the last game and they did that, for better or worse, but I find myself wishing they hadn't for a WW2 setting. Would rather have had a straight reskin of BF1 over this mess.

Comments

• SirBobdk
    4067 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Cod UO and 2 were great ww2 games. I think they have done a good job with the uniforms, tanks and planes making them look like ww2 in BFV. But I agree that the gameplay feels like modern war with everyone running around with fast shooting laser weapons + 3 x scope. There's no real 1x1 fights, but only who see who first. I never thought i would say this, but I would also rather have a BF1 version of ww2.
  • Cknight1212
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited December 2018
    I got more WW2 vibes from BF1 honestly Hah. They really should've set this game in Vietnam in my opinion or like an alternate history WW2 (like if the **** hadn't been defeated in Europe or something). I think they saw how much money codww2 made and some dumb executive at EA went "Make a new WW2 game!! Let's oversaturate this market! I don't play video games so I don't care".

(Had to add something) Woooooow Dice really???? I'm talking about WW2, what your friggin game is BASED ON, and I noticed that N*zi is censored even though I'm talking about them in context to WW2!!!!! People are right, you guys are hacks. No back bone pansy hacks.
  • Player_dhfjh4re
    137 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    The fun part is that if DICE gave you yet again a colour desaturated brown and grey Omaha Beach, or whichever Normandy village, 101st Airborne or ANYTHING resembling Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, you wouldn't have been here complaining.
  • Cknight1212
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Trokey66 wrote: »
    I got more WW2 vibes from BF1 honestly Hah. They really should've set this game in Vietnam in my opinion or like an alternate history WW2 (like if the **** hadn't been defeated in Europe or something). I think they saw how much money codww2 made and some dumb executive at EA went "Make a new WW2 game!! Let's oversaturate this market! I don't play video games so I don't care".

Ahhh the good old hate bandwagon!

It was actually the 'community' that wanted a WW2 game after BF1, DICE did a survey and that time period won.

Laser beam automatic weapons? Again, thank the 'community' for that, they wanted faster TTK and no RBD.

Google images of Rotterdam in the 40's.

I could go on but you get the picture.....

Well got dang, did they have Vietnam as an option? That would've been so much cooler, but I guess it wouldn't have mattered if I had voted because WW2 still woulda won. *Sigh* guess I'll just have to wait longer for a new next gen Vietnam game. People remember that Vietnam happened too right?

I just wish I could find my old 'Vietcong' computer game. That game was friggin awesome. Plus it was diverse without having to shove it in your face or push some politically motivated narrative. Remember when games could have poc or female characters and not push it as their main selling point? Kinda like how movies used to?
  • Narfiam
    197 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    I have the same feeling, seeing stahlhelms, stukas and panzers is not enough for me to feel I'm playing a WW2 game. The censored swastikas contribute to not feeling it like a WW2 game, jumping from a C47 full of british soildiers being a german also contribute. Seeing chinese british and a lot of women soldiers also contribute, the obsession of DICE of putting in his game unknown and not epic battles also contribute.
    I hope in future patches seeing russians, japanese, yankees, Stalingrad, Iwo jima, Normandy will mitigate this feeling.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3359 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    On Devastation I do.
  • Narfiam
    197 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    On Devastation I do.

Is the only map where I feel a bit I'm in WW2 and is my favourite map because that. Especially when tje bombers come and the ambiance is full of ashes.
  • StormSaxon
    658 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yes.
    British and Germans fighting each other in Africa and Europe.
    WW2 weapons and vehicles.
    feels like WW2 to me.

Are the uniforms right... no. But they are better than in BF1.
    The use of women and ethnic minorities is to represent the gamer. That’s how I see it.
    But I did wonder why the Germans are all white....

But visually the locations have been fine.

I’m not sure what essential WW2 elements are missing.
  • karcyon
    293 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Not at all.
  • Panzerkeks85
    141 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The fun part is that if DICE gave you yet again a colour desaturated brown and grey Omaha Beach, or whichever Normandy village, 101st Airborne or ANYTHING resembling Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, you wouldn't have been here complaining.

Well that is true. Altough I like the approach from DICE to tell some rather "unknown" battles, they should at least added some more known battles from WW2, even just from a marketing perspective.
    Why they showcased Norway we will never know. I personally hate this map anyway but I would love a conquest map in the Ardenne Forest, Stalingrad or in the D-Day Setting.
  • xx_Dante2k_xx
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Cod UO and 2 were great ww2 games. I think they have done a good job with the uniforms, tanks and planes making them look like ww2 in BFV. But I agree that the gameplay feels like modern war with everyone running around with fast shooting laser weapons + 3 x scope. There's no real 1x1 fights, but only who see who first. I never thought i would say this, but I would also rather have a BF1 version of ww2.

Did you play MOHAA? I was addicted to that game.
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Well that is true. Altough I like the approach from DICE to tell some rather "unknown" battles, they should at least added some more known battles from WW2, even just from a marketing perspective.
    Why they showcased Norway we will never know. I personally hate this map anyway but I would love a conquest map in the Ardenne Forest, Stalingrad or in the D-Day Setting.

With the timeline in mind i can understand why putting 1940 battles before 1944. But if you go down the " Unknown Battles " route and combining something never seen before: why not starting with the german attack on Poland at the Westerplatte ? Or later the famous crossing of the Maas by Germany on their way of conquering France ? The capture of the belgian Fortress Eben Emael by german Paratroopers would have been perfect for the Airborne mode.
    If they would at least make a german plane model of the Ju-52......
  • SirBobdk
    4067 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Did you play MOHAA? I was addicted to that game.
    Yep, have played all the MOHAA.
  • Autorotor
    221 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I enjoy the gunplay but ww2 feeling? Nah not really.
  • irishwarriormoor
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I agree. It doesn't feel like WW2. Keep in mind that I started a thread stating that this is the best battlefield ever. I'm not feeling that way anymore.
  • Sturmfrisur
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    wait....this is a ww2 game?