Discussion & Dive-In - Battlefield V Chapter 1: Overture Update

danmotoxx
144 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Staff (retired), Battlefield V
edited December 2018
5ymno1u0rj221.jpg
The Battlefield V Tides of War Chapter 1: Overture Update is live!

As everyone should know already (if you don’t, surprise!), the Battlefield V Tides of War Chapter 1: Overture Update is now live worldwide on all platforms!

The following article will give you a one-stop destination for all blogs, trailers, update notes, and more so you don’t need to poke around on the internet to find what you need.

After digesting the available content, both in-game and on our channels, please come back to this thread to provide your feedback. We rely on you, our community, to help us to develop and continue improving Battlefield V for the best gameplay experience possible.

vik9gac5rj221.png
There's something about this screenshot that intrigues me. The movement, the colors, the impending doom.

ICYMI Rundown

Let’s dig into all of the latest articles, video, etc. that have been release in case you missed something.

- Launch - As of Wednesday, December 5th, the Battlefield V Tides of War Chapter 1: Overture Update has launched worldwide for all platforms.

- Overview – The update comes with the following content:
  • New Map – Panzerstorm
  • New Environment – The Practice Range
  • New War Story - The Last Tiger
  • New In-Game Events – Weekly Missions & Rewards
  • New Base Game Updates – Battlefield V Game Improvements

- Trailer – An all-new trailer has dropped that encompasses everything available with this update.

- Blogs
- Reddit AMAA – Chapter 1: Overture Ask Me Almost Anything – Our DICE devs joined us this morning to answer almost any question you’ve had in regards to the new update.

- Asset Pack – Want to refresh that wallpaper? Need to update your YouTube video intro? Download the Chapter 1: Overture asset pack and get on it, soldier.

- Landing Page – All-new Chapter 1: Overture landing page on Battlefield.com with all the top-level information you need on the update.

- Update Notes - Battlefield V Chapter 1: Overture Update Notes – Direct link to the 14-page PDF notes.

- DXR Ray Tracing Updates – The latest update brought several improvements to the DXR technology.
DXR Ray Tracing Performance Optimizations
  • NVIDIA has been working closely with EA and DICE to rapidly optimize DXR Ray Tracing in Battlefield V, improving performance up to 50%.
  • GeForce RTX 2080 Ti gamers will now be able to achieve 60+ FPS at 1440p resolution with DXR Raytraced Reflections set to Ultra quality.
  • GeForce RTX 2080 gamers will now be able to achieve 60+ FPS at 1440p resolution with DXR Raytraced Reflections set to Medium quality.
  • GeForce RTX 2070 gamers will now be able to achieve 60+ FPS at 1080p resolution with DXR Raytraced Reflections set to Medium quality.
Other DXR Ray Tracing Improvements
  • Made stability improvements while running the game with DXR Ray Tracing on.
  • Improved performance of several components of the ray tracing implementation.
  • Improved ray tracing performance against foliage and vegetation.
  • Using frame buffer data, where applicable, to increase overall ray tracing quality.
  • Removed inactive geometry from ray traced scenes.
  • Fixed medium quality setting not applying correctly.

- Video – Official DXR Dev Update – Up to 50% Performance Increase

- Known Issues – We’ve encountered the following known issues specific to the Chapter 1: Overture Update throughout the day, and will be updating our Known Issues thread.
Company Coin Retroactive Award (to be completed)
  • Status: We’re currently investigating a proposed fix that will retroactively award players who reached Max Rank 50 prior to the recent Max Rank 50 Company Coin accrual fix (the previous issue did not allow Max Rank 50 to accrue Company Coin anymore). This retroactive award will credit player inventories with the appropriate Company Coin for time spent in game at Max Rank 50 where players were not receiving new Company Coin. Apologies on previously communicating that the retroactive award was processed – there was a miscommunication between teams. Thanks for the understanding.
Game Crashes After Chapter 1: Overture Update
  • If you find Battlefield V is crashing post-update and you have an AMD graphics card, updating your Radeon graphics driver will make things more stable.
  • We’ve had reports of crashing on AMD cards with Radeon driver version 18.11.1 in single-player and multiplayer modes. We’re working with AMD on this, but in the meantime updating to Radeon version 18.2.1 will improve things for you.
Panzerfaust Improvements Confusion
  • We realize we put a lot of emphasis on the elements we "buffed" with the Panzerfausts and not enough about the “nerfs”. The maximum damage of the Panzerfaust has dropped. In all normal cases, the Panzerfaust will take more hits to kill all tanks, making tanks more survivable. The 5 damage hits were only rare edge cases of poor hits (less than 10 damage). Yes, while they are 3x better now, it's still only approximately 15 damage. When hitting a tank on its side, we've dropped the damage from approx. 50 to an estimated 25. From the rear, you used to be able to 2-shot a tank - now it takes at least 3 hits.
New Skin Prices
  • We’ve received reports that the Company Coin prices for some skins are quite high. We are taking a look at all prices and adjusting appropriately.
Not Getting the Tiger I Skin for Completing War Story: The Last Tiger
  • We’re currently investigating. Hold tight!

Now that you’ve (hopefully) got your hands-on Chapter 1: Overture, digest the above and the update notes, we’re looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions below. Let’s hear it!

Edit: Updated Company Coin Retroactive Award as it is yet to be completed.
Post edited by danmotoxx on

Comments

• BaronVonGoon
    6737 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I like the gun unlock UI presentation. Also, the challenges are easy which is what I prefer. I don't want to destroy 2 planes with an LMG. I'd rather play the objective you know.
  • Pressue3lx
    2 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The reload time for the rockets and bombs on the planes doesn’t make sense in its current format. I understand the need for the timer, however, if you fire your rockets and then get into a dogfight that take 2 or 3 minutes you still have to hit the supply and wait the allotted time for them to reset. Which by this time you will be engaging another fighter instead of being able to provide any assistance to your ground troops. There should be a timer that starts as soon as the bombs/rockets are used instead of only when resupplying.
  • KenedeMasters
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Please unnerf throwing knives
  • AyeeLee92
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Would it be possible at all in a future update to see consistent display of medic specific stats. At the end of my rounds it would be awesome be able to see my revives and resupplies to get a better sense of my impact on a game to game basis.
    The normal things site up like K/D and flags captured and things like that but when I'm running around in the thick of the action, healing and reviving for 30 minutes at the end of the round I'd love to see exactly how much I got there.
  • R1VERDAN
    52 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think this Tides of War thing you guys are doing is awesome. I am very much enjoying the progression system and am looking forward to all future updates. Would like to see some more allie forces included in the future.
  • KurbsMLK
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    is there a "wish list" somewhere that the community can write on, just for constructive stuff?
  • Baldness
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    How come shotgun slugs still feel like a regular shotgun? is this ever going to be addressed?
  • Trionfante
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hey ya'll, so I really liked the Tommy gun M1928A1 pre patch. However, now I can barely kill anyone with it. I think the damage decrease was pretty drastic, going from 30 to 25.1, I could understand a point or two, but 4.9 seems like a lot and it really shows. If we could maybe tweak that again I would be really happy. Thanks!
  • Sou1__0062
    161 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    UPDATE IS OUT STILL NO GETTING COMPANY COINS ON 50 LVL FIX IITTTTT
  • Shelbovsky
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2018
    My dear DICE Team. Please, explain me, why you decided to add weapons and tanks of 1942/1943-1945 years in the early period of WWII, in 1940? It's so not historical accurate.
    Post edited by Shelbovsky on
  • GaunteroDimmS4
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm actually enjoying the Overture chapter, in order to unlock weapons (or at least, the first one) you don't have to complete silly and tryhardy assignments like in BF1 (just like BaronVonGoon said). The only problem is that almost nobody interacts with ammo/medic crates, and more specifically completing the medic crates assignments was really painful for me. Also, the rewards for chapter level seem really good to me and in my opinion they push a player to level up the chapter rank.

The Last Tiger war story is without doubt the best one so far, would have re-played the other war stories if they were like that. It's almost a 10/10 for me (and the reward is really nice too, different from melee weapons).

The Practice Range is a bit poor in my opinion, the majority of players would have liked a place more similar to the BF4 practice range, where you could try weapon with different specializations and change the sights at least (and where practice dummies could move). The vehicle choices are poor too, only 2 planes and 2 tanks, well that's not really good.

Panzerstorm is a nice map too, certainly better than Hamada, but maybe some more tank spawn could really enhance the Panzerstorm experience in my opinion.

About new mechanichs and fixes, I agree with WesleyF09, the fighter nerfs almost killed them, but the bomber nerfs are good, finally Ju 88 isn't OP anymore. Stukas, however, aren't good dive bombers, while they should.
    The ability to take cover while being a gunner is a life saver and well balanced.
    SMGs are better now, I can see lots of more medic, but as a main medic I still can say that I have no chance at all mid-range.

Finally, hope you fix all the bugs that came with this new patch, some of them are really annoying.

• fishstickHR
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    After update
    When i join a game in battlefield 5, i have the mouse cursor from main menu and cant move or hit escape. I have to alt f4 and restart game please help
  • Hablift
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    After update
    When i join a game in battlefield 5, i have the mouse cursor from main menu and cant move or hit escape. I have to alt f4 and restart game please help
    update vga driver..
  • BuzuB84
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The game is awesome but the new map is a big trash.... i don't wanna play world of tanks!
  • DigitalContagion
    124 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    I currently have a thread going about the Weekly Challenge in the Tides of War: Chapter 1 Overture Challenge: "Self Healing: Restore your own health with Bandages 10 times." bug. I posted this yesterday after finishing a Conquest game on Narvik.

It's definitely a bug. I literally just ended a match on Narvik 5 min ago. Before I entered the match, I clicked on the Tides of War menu, accepted the very first assignment to self heal yourself 10 times with bandages at approximately 7:06pm (EST) on PC. I finished the game with 17 self heals (I kept count b/c I noticed the game wasn't when I first healed myself) and not ONE counted for the whole round. No in-game counter, nothing. I went to Medical stations, Medics also supplied me with "bandages", every time I was injured, I self healed. Other players including 2 other players in my Squad was also experiencing this issue. Others in chat said that it was working for them, and another players said they are already on the second assignment. So, I guess it's working for some and not others. It's frustrating when you get word ToW is "up and running" yet it's not in total.

UPDATE: I have progressed and completed through the first Chapter of Assignments with no issues. If anyone else is still experiencing issues as stated above, it's a hit or miss at times. Good luck and keep pressing these types of issues! Thanks!
    Post edited by DigitalContagion on
  • JMan42028
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    love the new story you guys put in, its a blast!

As support, my ammo box vanishes! Prior to the update there were obvious collision issues with the ammo and health boxes. If they weren't on flat ground they would basically disapear. But, prior to the update the global cooldown didn't trigger when the box vanished. Now, the box will plop down, slowly sink through the map and be gone. Being unusable by myself and my team mates. And now the C/d triggers, so you have to wait 60 seconds or whatever before you can drop another one.

I noticed a nice bump in overall game performance from this patch, and I'm only on a 1060.

I did have that hard lock error with mouse cursor, running on a 1060. I had the most recent but did not check drivers yesterday, so I will do that.

medic class - used to be my go to class on every single prior battlefield title. Because I like to play for points more than k/d. But the medics are mostly unviable right now. Yes, there are players who have gotten the playstyle locked in and that do really well as medics. I am not one. IMO though, a major buff isn't needed to the guns. I think they function how they are supposed to, they are SMG's afterall. I think the issue is that there are no semi-auto options for medic. M1? Something. They need a semi auto option at some point to make them accessible IMO. And honestly, everyone should want more good medics on the battlefield, because your team lasts longer if your getting revived.

ttk/ttd I know wasn't really addressed, but it does feel like you die with 2 shots, but have to pump about 6 or 7 into someone. Its frustrating yes, but you just learn to stick to cover as much as possible.

Panzerfaust/ect. I am one of the ones who apparently are not very successful with the panzerfaust vs tanks. It seems like every shot I get zings off into the sunset and does 15 dmg. Not gonna take down anything with 3 bullets that do 15 dmg lol. However, driving a tank, it certainly feels like its 2 shots and goodbye. I guess that probably goes back to the ttk/ttd balancing. ( I maxxed out support kit, NOT using the k7, and now I'm working on assault and then sniping)

Overall, I love the game, as you can probably tell by my time played already haha. I think you guys nailed it, its a good mesh of bf1 and bf4. I love the limited ammo, it really adds to the chaos of battle and the element of realism. This has been the smoothest launch I can remember, a huge improvement. DICE should be proud, you got a good one here. I've been a battlefield player since 1942 dropped and I love this game. Excited to see whats in store with future maps.
  • Beat_Mangler80
    512 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You've got to get the rentable servers in ASAP.
    The longer it takes the more regret I have for buying the damn game. Could have saved myself a lot of money and stress if I bought it six months after it came out. My god that next release is going to be a doozy.