We have pushed a fix to address the issue with Rank 20 rewards. If you are missing your rewards for Class Rank 20, please play a match to completion and the Rewards should drop into your Armory.

Thanks for sticking with us.

"Death spotting" is a real thing. Confirmed by DICE.

Clarence_6000
733 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
edited December 6
Just in case if you didn't already know.
Players appearing as red dots on the mini-map after getting a kill, That's why your strategically well planned flanks doesn't always pan out as intended.

Dan Mitre from yesterdays AMA on Reddit.

The "death spotting" (or player appearing as a red dot on the mini-map after getting a kill) is an element that has remained during development, but one that we're investigating whether or not it's truly beneficial to the gameplay experience. As such, we've seen great feedback on this particular item and are looking to remove it in an upcoming update.

Comments

• R1ckyDaMan19
    319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You remove that feature and camping will go up, just saying it is not always as simple as just getting rid of something.
  • Clarence_6000
    733 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 6
    You remove that feature and camping will go up, just saying it is not always as simple as just getting rid of something.

Im not so sure, This mostly punishes moving players ie players that flank etc.
    A better implementation would in that case be that if you stay stationary or only are in one small area for a long period of time then a small ping of your approximate location would pop up on the mini map for a brief amount of time.

Post edited by Clarence_6000 on
  • R1ckyDaMan19
    319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Or get rid of it completely and allow us to mark an enemy location while downed.
  • Sp3ckledJ1m
    135 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It would at least give us something to do while waiting for a revive that may never come.
  • LutraJ
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Im not so sure, This mostly punishing moving players ie players that flank etc.
    A better implementation would in that case be that if you stay stationary or only are in one small area for a long period of time then a small ping of your approximate location would pop up on the mini map for a brief amount of time.

Exactly!!!!
  • LutraJ
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It is not possible for me to spend five minutes on the tactical map, and as soon as I kill an enemy, I am identified.
  • olavafar
    1615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I do not think camping could go up very much from where we are now...

I also get the impression this often benefits campers because on our way to them one mostly kills someone. This makes sneaking up on the camper harder. So many times I find this LMG guy I'm after pointing his gun directly at me even if I come from the 'wrong' direction just because I had to make my way through some other players.
  • R1ckyDaMan19
    olavafar wrote: »

I do not think camping could go up very much from where we are now...

I also get the impression this often benefits campers because on our way to them one mostly kills someone. This makes sneaking up on the camper harder. So many times I find this LMG guy I'm after pointing his gun directly at me even if I come from the 'wrong' direction just because I had to make my way through some other players.
    Or get rid of it completely and allow us to mark an enemy location while downed.

• crabman169
    12631 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Im not so sure, This mostly punishing moving players ie players that flank etc.

That's the thing though. If you get a kill this pings your location that you got the kill from on the 2D map for 5 seconds. It doesn't ping you or follow you like people think.

So if you received flanking correctly it can actually help you against alert enemies who see the dot but you've already moved and flanked again.

What it really punishes is campers who stay after getting a kill (granted not everyone that stays still after a kill is a camper; could have stopped to reload, take cover or regen health etc) but that's who is impacts more so I find it interesting when people scream bloody murder about it.

Plus we already have a thread on this;

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/166551/update-you-are-spotted-for-5-seconds-when-you-get-a-kill/p7
  • warslag
    899 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    This is an appalling feature and makes BFV a definite 'not buying' from me.
  • Tullzter
    619 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Mark an enemy when downed or at least use com rose when downed to signal incoming medics if it's Safe or not to move in for revive
  • Pillownaut
    106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It's part of the new, more competitive, BF experience. Remove spotting - introduce autospot xD
  • V2Face
    2596 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I always wondered why players would find me when I was going on my flanks. If you are going to intentionally keep a feature that kills strategy you might as well add back 3D spotting for all classes. Either have it all off or none of it.
  • Beat_Mangler80
    211 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Y'all need to try hardcore mode, there be none of that.
    *Hardcore mode requires custom servers which are as of yet unfinished.
  • crabman169
    12631 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Y'all need to try hardcore mode, there be none of that.
    *Hardcore mode requires custom servers which are as of yet unfinished.

Normal basically is.

Add FF and Squad leader spawn only and you literally have "classic" setting or as refractor engine players would call it; normal.
  • Aircool_212
    496 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What a ridiculous idea. I thought it was a bug, but to find out that it's intentional just backs up my theory that major gameplay changes were made to make the game ' accessible' without having to address fundamental, underlying problems. Spotting was supposed to have been removed with the exception being the recon spotting scope. Now there's spotting everywhere which is contrary to what we were led to believe. Seeing enemies in Alpha was a massive problem, but it got better in Beta and even easier (relatively) in final release, so there's no need for the amount of spotting that takes place. Being auto spotted on the minimap just for killing someone has got to be one of the most stupid decisions made; it punishes a player for playing the game! It doesn't take long to learn how to play the game when previously players relied on the 3D spotting system.

There seems to be a lot of sleight of hand and smoke and mirrors about the gameplay; everything is geared towards a low player churn rate rather than a fun game.

The question is, what other mechanics are being massaged behind the scenes to keep that churn rate low. Is your win/loss ratio being manipulated? What about the accuracy and damage of your weapons? Sure, it might be time to crack open the tin-foil hats but we've all had those games where your bullets seem to constantly miss and you die way too easily, and then we get games where you can fire blindfolded and still get headshots and laugh in the face of the hail of bullets coming your way as they slip harmlessly past your Teflon coated CHURN RATE shield.

We know from Star Wars: Battlefront II (where the loot box system was fundamental to every aspect of gameplay (and all their sports games as well)) that EA is willing to design games from a commercial aspect with gameplay and user experience being secondary. It's like they don't trust the developers to make a fun game that we'll keep returning to (even though us Battlefield players are very loyal to the franchise), so they've got to subtly alter the gameplay experience to keep us interested.

I feel betrayed. I really do. I tested this game and at the end of the last Beta, I felt extremely positive with the direction of the game. Now it appears that making a fun, entertaining, atmospheric and tactical experience was somehow a bad idea, and the game should be flat and bland with under the hood systems deciding whether we're going to play another game or just press Quit!
  • BL4CK_W4LL_
    363 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's almost impossible to solo cap an objective no matter how good you are because if you are outnumbered they just send 1 person out as the bait for you to kill.... then swarm your position with 3-4 guys. Even if it's not your exact position it's the house your in or the corner of the objective you're in. And if you try to relocate without knowing the exact position of the enemy you are likely to get shot.

I play battlefield titles to flank, it's way more fun that any other shooter. This feature hinders me greatly.

I honestly dont really find campers because of this feature. Unless by camping you mean the guys hiding in a house trying to cap an objective which honestly shouldn't be a thing.

I think the tracer rounds on every bullet is enough to deter campers in this game if you ask me.

You cant have automatic map pings in a battlefield title without a way to prevent them via weapon upgrades. Surpressors were in bf3 and 4 for a reason.

If this won't get fully removed it should atleast be removed if you get a kill with an SMG or a pistol. Would give players more incentive to use low calibur firearms and incentivise the medic class.
  • Zviko0
    1142 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

If you press the spot button while downed you can actually hear the same sound as you do when you press it alive. Obviously you can't see if you actually marked anything and you probably don't or else we'd know by now. So yeah, this would work.

Also for anyone that claims it would promote camping or if that is a counter to it, with a bit of self awareness, map knowledge and actually looking at the map, you can easily figure out where the shots came from. Also, there are bullet traces and if you own headphones it makes it so much easier.
  • von_Campenstein
    5895 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    They might as well just have left spotting as it was in BF1.