This Week in Battlefield V

Idea: Support get Suppression, AND Recon gets 1 hit kills in CQC

GeneralHawk2
13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
These are the two aspects that bother me about BFV.
I have ALWAYS been partial to the support class, as I was a Machine Gunner IRL. I LOVED how in BF3, the suppression mechanic meant you did NOT go head to head with a machine gun and expect to win. Not only were the weapons dangerous (which they are in BFV) but you could also force a group of players heads down, allowing your team to move up.

In this game, cant really do that. Sure, you can gun a person down easy enough (except good recon player, I will get to that in a sec), but if there is more than one person, RIP.
Keep in mind, I play more "realistically", using machine guns in longer ranged engagements, and avoiding run-and-gunning. Im MOSTLY concerned with the MMG's, LMG's it would be nice to have, but I get they are the more mobile run and gun weapons for this class.
My biggest issue with no suppression, comes in when dealing with a good sniper.
If the sniper is good, no matter how good you are on the Machine Gun, if he sees you, you will lose, even if you get first rounds on him.
The result then is that, with the current meta with a LOT of recon players, playing a Machine Gun class in true style is borderline suicide.

NOW, I get that adding suppression to Machine Guns would hurt Recon in long range engagements (arguably their ONLY effective range)
That's why, id like to see Recon be allowed 1 hit kills (not on limbs) in close range.

The reason is 2-fold

1- Giving them an extra something now that Recon is not the sole king of long range engagements
2- As a player who enjoys authenticity, I often use Recon Iron sights (MOST British troops were armed merely with a Basic Lee-Enfield) and while, sure, these weapons ARE at a disadvantage even by realistic standards, its still annoying that I can BEAM someone right in the chest with a .303 and they just ignore it and still kill me. Basically, this means it is borderline IMPOSSIBLE to use bolt action rifles for ANYTHING other than max range. If you don't have a scope, well, tough luck (mid range isn't bad though)

Ive been hoping for a Hardcore mode, but since apparently BF1 didn't have it (never played it) im guessing we wont here either.

(P.S.- Honestly, id be fine removing the scope glare effect from snipers if they feel that 1-tapping in CQC isn't enough)
(P.P.S.- The ONLY balance concern would be quick scoping, I can see that being broken. As long as that isn't allowed, we should be dandy)

Comments

• mf_shro0m
    1457 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I’m onboard. Been campaigning for that for ages

I think bolt-actions should have 0 aim assist of any sort to prevent quickscoping

I think that the high damage SRs (e.g. G95 and Kar) should be OHK to torso, upper arms and upper legs whilst medium damage ones (e.g. Enfield and Krag) should be OHK to torso.
    Only when under under 60-75m.
  • GeneralHawk2
    edited December 2018
    y_j_es_i wrote: »

I think bolt-actions should have 0 aim assist of any sort to prevent quickscoping

I think that the high damage SRs (e.g. G95 and Kar) should be OHK to torso, upper arms and upper legs whilst medium damage ones (e.g. Enfield and Krag) should be OHK to torso.

I didn't even know there was a difference between bolt actions
    A bolt action is a bolt action as far as Im concerned
    Just let em have the OHK

DERP, just fully read your post
    Yea, im onboard with that
  • MiasmaGrowlmon
    296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Uh, no. Recons can already OHK kill with impunity from distance but at least that takes some semblance of skill. They don't have any type of counter at that range is a major issue though. Honestly suppression should be in this game but it should come from any gun but only effect bolt-action rifles that are scoped in. That way there is a decent counter to snipers, preventing them from getting an accurate headshot from range apart from luck.

Allowing a class that has full impunity to OHK from long range to be able to do the same up close WITHOUT EVEN AIMING FOR THE HEAD is absurd. Absolutely not.
  • MONEYPYR0
    828 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    How bout this.

Machine Gunner Combat role adds suppressive effects to both MMGs and LMGs. I mean, one of its traits IS to have more suppressive effects, but since suppression is only visual, it doesn't really change much.

For OHK snipers, ehhhhh, even as a decent Recon player (like a 1.5ish K/D with em), I'd say no. If you're in close quarters, switch to your sidearm, and use your throwing knives, those are your close quarters weapons. And Im betting you'll bring up the point of "What if a Recon gets snuck up on, and can't switch to their sidearm, or throw a knife quick enough?", which is a fair point, but really, that's mostly the fault of the Recon for not being aware, or switching his spot every so often.

Honestly though, I don't see either of those things happening, unless we do get a proper BF4 style Hardcore mode. BF1 DID have Hardcore, but it was horrible, and hardly anyone played it.
  • GeneralHawk2
    edited December 2018
    Uh, no. Recons can already OHK kill with impunity from distance but at least that takes some semblance of skill. They don't have any type of counter at that range is a major issue though. Honestly suppression should be in this game but it should come from any gun but only effect bolt-action rifles that are scoped in. That way there is a decent counter to snipers, preventing them from getting an accurate headshot from range apart from luck.

Allowing a class that has full impunity to OHK from long range to be able to do the same up close WITHOUT EVEN AIMING FOR THE HEAD is absurd. Absolutely not.

Well how could we make Bolt Actions viable in anything but long range?
    Bolt action rifles without scopes?
  • mf_shro0m
    1457 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018

You overestimate the number of people who’d pick a bolt-actions for medium let alone short range combat.

Look at CoD WWII.
    All the bolt-actions are OHK to the torso and head, some are OHK to upper legs and upper arms too and you can equip them with iron sights, acogs and x6(?) lenses.
    And in CoD you don’t even need to exit ADS to chamber the next round.

You could go around using a bolt-action with ironsights and many have tried including me.
    But the fact is that barely anyone uses them, like maybe 1 in 400 players (0.25% of people).
    Why?
    Very very few can use them viably, let alone more effectively than they can use ARs, LMGs, SMGs and semi-autos

96% of the people who spend an hour using it will never use it again. 4% will use it occasionally for ‘WWII feels’.
  • mf_shro0m

You overestimate the number of people who’d make use of it

Look at CoD WWII.
    All the bolt-actions are OHK to the torso and head, some are OHK to upper legs and upper arms too and you can equip them with iron sights, acogs and x6(?) lenses.
    And in CoD you don’t need to exit ADS to chamber the next round. There’s also aim assist on some of the SRs which we’re proposing they get rid of in BFV

You could go around using a bolt-action with ironsights and many have tried including me.
    But the fact is that barely anyone uses them, like maybe 1 in 400 players.
    Why?
    Very very few can use them viably, let alone more effectively than they can use ARs, LMGs, SMGs and semi-autos
  • WhiteRabbit_swe
    619 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member

There are no aim assist in bfv...
  • GeneralHawk2

Look at CoD WWII.
    And in CoD you don’t need to exit ADS to chamber the next round. There’s also aim assist on some of the SRs which we’re proposing they get rid of in BFV

Why?

That's what im saying though
    Shouldn't THE mainstay weapons of WWII be GENERALLY VIABLE in a WWII game?
  • mf_shro0m

There are no aim assist in bfv...

I’m not sure if they apply to SRs or not but I mean things like sticky aim and the turn thing
  • mf_shro0m

Look at CoD WWII.

Why?

That's what im saying though
    Shouldn't THE mainstay weapons of WWII be GENERALLY VIABLE in a WWII game?

I agree that they should be. What I’m saying is that given how much they’re used in CoD, even OHK to torso for SRs wouldn’t make iron sighted bolt-actions commonplace, let alone OP.

It’d make the situation better and I think it’s fair, so I support it.
  • mf_shro0m

Look at CoD WWII.

Why?
  • WhiteWolf_W3
    88 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    The bolt actions are outclassed at range by competent supports and semi auto rifles, the sheer time to scope in and lack of logical velocity solidifies that. I am a recon main and use the Kar98, i rely on quick-scopes and flicks at medium to close than i do actual sniping.

One hits close range are an alright concept however when a class like support that is dominant at all ranges is setup, how are you supposed to compete still.

In a sense throwing knives are a CQC one hit and if you gave bolt actions the ability to one shot in close quarters then they would be used as a glorified shotgun.

The issue lies within the balance of other classes rather than recon itself in my opinion.

• 01Tav
    49 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    There are no aim assist in bfv...[/quote]

On PC...all console games have aim assist. BFV most certainly does.

• RePlayBoy101
    58 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    make boltactions a one hit kill weapon and you will kill the game ...

people will camp more , people will play recons waaay more, and you will lose way more becouse noone will play the objective ... if they do they will be killed with one shoot

just learn how to aim ... u guys even have aim assist and your crying...L2P issue... move along
    The bolt actions are outclassed at range by competent supports and semi auto rifles, the sheer time to scope in and lack of logical velocity solidifies that. I am a recon main and use the Kar98, i rely on quick-scopes and flicks at medium to close than i do actual sniping.

One hits close range are an alright concept however when a class like support that is dominant at all ranges is setup, how are you supposed to compete still.

In a sense throwing knives are a CQC one hit and if you gave bolt actions the ability to one shot in close quarters then they would be used as a glorified shotgun.

The issue lies within the balance of other classes rather than recon itself in my opinion.

have u played any of the support weapons... they are really innacurate from range(excluding the OP KE7)... not to mention is it really hard to kill a prone support player?...i usually onetap them

not to mention the support is really UP if u try to use MMGs ... u cant even defend yourself and like i said if u go prone ur easy to get head shooted
  • Zviko0
    1628 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I agree with everything except OHK for BA rifles. I'm a Recon player and want BA rifles to get buffed at CQC but not 100 damage. Maybe 90-95 so they can compete. Maybe for us on PS4 wouldn't be such a big deal if it was OHK but I'm sure Recon players on PC would dominate every single game.
  • mf_shro0m
    make boltactions a one hit kill weapon and you will kill the game ...

people will camp more , people will play recons waaay more, and you will lose way more becouse noone will play the objective ... if they do they will be killed with one shoot

just learn how to aim ... u guys even have aim assist and your crying...L2P issue... move along

have u played any of the support weapons... they are really innacurate from range(excluding the OP KE7)... not to mention is it really hard to kill a prone support player?...i usually onetap them

not to mention the support is really UP if u try to use MMGs ... u cant even defend yourself and like i said if u go prone ur easy to get head shooted

We’re saying that bolt-actions should be OHK at close range. Like up to 60-75m.

And before you say it, no, it won’t be abused because the vast majority of people can’t use OHK bolt-actions at close range effectively. Again, look at CoD WWII
  • mf_shro0m
    Zviko0 wrote: »
    I agree with everything except OHK for BA rifles. I'm a Recon player and want BA rifles to get buffed at CQC but not 100 damage. Maybe 90-95 so they can compete. Maybe for us on PS4 wouldn't be such a big deal if it was OHK but I'm sure Recon players on PC would dominate every single game.

It’ll look really dumb if bolt-action riflemen have to switch to their sidearm to finish off every kill.
    And they’ll still be f***ed if there’s more than one hostile within like 100m
  • Zviko0
    1628 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Zviko0 wrote: »

It’ll look really dumb if bolt-action riflemen have to switch to their sidearm to finish off every kill.
    And they’ll still be f***ed if there’s more than one hostile within like 100m

Not any dumber than 55 damage from 1m and another what, 3 pistol shots? That's not easy to hit on console. At least you'd have a chance. And since we are talking CQC here, people might be damaged already and having 90-95 makes a big difference compared to 55-60.
  • smokintom214
    1794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    They already have these things in game.... Lol