This game is dead in the water?

HuwJarz
3868 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
edited December 2018
One of my Aussie mates was reporting that at 10am local time this am, there was only ONE full conquest server in the whole of OCEANA REGION. I didn't believe him,

I thought he was telling lies, or didn't know how to use the browser so I checked myself and as at time of writing 12pm in Oceana region there are only 11 servers populated IN TOTAL across all game modes. That is less that 600 players playing in a region representing circa 1/5 of the globe. BFV is AAA title that has been out of 3 weeks.

I used to live in that region, and I can assure you that for the first year there were dozens of conquest servers 24x7, forgetting the game modes.

Would any of those guys that claim that all is OK because we didn't see digital sales yet ((disaster deniers)) like to pull there heads out of the desert sand and explain why this might be. Less than 600 players in a entire region! Just wow.

Comments

• S1cknyss
    50 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Over 100+ North American servers earlier today. Conquest. So no. Not dead.
  • WhiteWolf_W3
    88 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It always goes like this in the OCE region, BF2 had about 100 after the first 3 months on PC, the same people every game.

There are a variety of issues, you get games of BF die hard fans vs a bunch of new players in OCE region, since it really is only the dedicated players left and the game turns into absolute devastation and i can understand why some people would never want to play again. The whole region has probably 1/4 of the US population.

OCE always has sweaty cheaters, people that hide their cheats. Rust is a perfect example, people don't get banned until they've sloughed through 3k hours, they have to get manually banned by developers after being reviewed. It happens across all games however, BF2 had a lot of blatant cheaters, there was about a whole month where one dude had a cheat that would one shot heroes, he played all day everyday and didn't get banned for a whole month, this usually kills the lingering population since you have such a high chance of being placed with them. This is happening in BFV.

You never get people in the mornings in OCE region, in Australia itself we have a 3+ hour timezone gap and that is excluding new zealand. The population usually peaks at around 4-8pm AEST, as everyone begins to wake up from sweating BFV until 4am the previous night.

• TEKNOCODE
    10716 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    HuwJarz wrote: »
    Sorry, I forgot the whole world was the USA. My apologies.

As long as you guys are OK, that is fine.

@missingthepoint

#changeyourtitletoreference”deadinthewaterwithinoceana”then
  • TEKNOCODE
    10716 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    S1cknyss wrote: »
    Well you asked if the game was dead in the water. Based off what your Aussie mate stated. So because there were only 11 servers in that region you made the assumption that the game was dead.

I’m sorry I forgot the whole world is the oceanic region. My apologies.

It’s true though. When @crabman169 and I play, he requires me to speak Aussie.
  • COGSx86
    150 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    I know when searching for servers, I had only North America and 1 server popped up. At 4pm MT (6pm EST). Im like wtf. SO I added Asia and 100+ North American servers showed up, must be a bug
  • HuwJarz
    3868 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm talking PS4.

I'm happy to accept that total player numbers in the region are relatively low, compared with US. Let assume your number is correct - a quarter of the US. Is still county the size of the say Italy, and there are less than 600 players in total in the middle of the day?

Like I said, there were literally dozens of conquest servers for in BF1. I know - I was on garden leave at work and played a LOT.

There is another factor in play - Aussie servers were plagued with problems in the last 12 months in BF1 and I wonder if the Oceana community has literally lost patience and abandoned the game......
  • HuwJarz
    TEKNOCODE wrote: »
    Well you asked if the game was dead in the water. Based off what your Aussie mate stated. So because there were only 11 servers in that region you made the assumption that the game was dead.

It’s true though. When @crabman169 and I play, he requires me to speak Aussie.

Lol
    Liberal use of the c word and the f'en oath........?

Fair dinkum post mate.
  • BabyMetal808
    51 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

@missingthepoint

Finally! One way living in the USA is better than living in Australia!
  • BabyMetal808
    51 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I think this post would have been better without the passive-aggressive final paragraph. Just my feelings on it, tho.
  • trip1ex
    4548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    To put things into perspective, bf42 sold 600k copies according to Wikipedia. I played that game a ton.

BF2 sold something like 2.5 million copies. And I played it a ton.

BFV does appear to have relatively poor sales but even 50% fewer sales than BF1 is roughly 10 million copies sold.

• HuwJarz
    It may well be that the ANZ community in particular are really down on this game - they have some good reasons to be after BF1. But my point is that this is a litmus test while EA hide the play counts in the trackers - I wonder why that is? If anyone thinks that 600 players in that whole region, in the middle of the day, for all game modes is success then cool. Put your head back in the sand.

If contributors here are so narrow minded that they can't see the that a trend in another region might just also affect their own experience down the line (anyone played a game of War Pigeons, or Rush or a specific DLC server in BF1 recently in the last 12 months?) then they are probably not clever enough to get the point and they need to go back to their trailers. I'm trying to find proxies for player numbers given EA are hiding them.

I'd be really interested for some of the Aussie guys to post up numbers of populated servers at peak times.....anyone up for that? @crabman169 ?
  • ShidderMcGavin
    49 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

@missingthepoint

Thanks for understanding.

jk
  • vcm0x
    186 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    stop using the server browser, it's broken since the day it was implemented in... bf4?
  • HuwJarz
    I think the server browser does show accurate data for server numbers? . It’s bugged joining games?
  • WhiteWolf_W3
    88 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    WTF!?

Are you telling me that instead of playing BF At 10am on a Wednesday, people are at work or getting an education???

An education in December approaching Christmas in Australia. :thinking:

Honestly though, the people who don't work or school won't be on then anyways since they would have been at 4am playing an 18 hour sweat session.
  • V4-SKUNK
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    3am I'm Great Britain. Over 100 conquest servers.