Tried a MMG for the first time

2»

Comments

• stevenomes
    63 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    it is hilarious when watching someone else try to bipod on a railing when it doesnt work. there body looks all contorted and awkward
  • MachoFantast1c0
    2066 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I tried the MMGs a couple times, but having to bipod for every encounter is just not for me.

I wanted to like them because the VGO probably gives me the most 1 frame deaths out of any other gun, figured it must spit out some rapid damage.

Same. VGO is an absolute monster, and the pseudo-ADS + crouch is workable up to 10 meters, but whenever I start leveling up the MMGs I get bored out of my mind. This current model is quite possible the most frustrating out of all alternatives to both users and opponents. You either erase enemies, or die due to not being able to fire with the bipod refusing to deploy, or you get headshotted before managing to relocate after one or two kills.
  • Huntbang
    160 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah the bipod is kinda frustrating I'd say it works 70% of the time. I won't lie tho I still do really really good running an mg42 and s mines. Just find cheese camping spots. It feels amazing being in the right spot during an enemy push,and mowing them all down.
  • Pmuecke
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Austacker wrote: »
    mmgs need 3x scope or old suppression back.. currently they are just sniper bait even more so with new ttk..they should be able to shoot at range but cant due to snipers

Personal preference there. The Irons on the MG42 and horrid, so I generally use the alternatives, but the MG34 has excellent irons which I use primarily as it's impact on peripheral vision is minimal.

It's not the actual engagement of snipers that's the problem though, it's the fact we can literally get first strike - pepper their position - even get multiple hit markers and they can take a single shot... ping... dead.

It's ridiculous that a sniper doesn't even need to be prone or stationary to be accurate with their weapon whilst the MMG user does and even then, we're no where near as lethal as the Sniper rifle at range.

I find the whole 'we will base a game design mechanic on reality here - whilst we remove it there for the sake of game balance' a frustrating experience.

In WW2, do you honestly think Snipers or infantry would willingly run head long into machine gun fire, yet alone actually be accurate returning fire through the process?

I can appreciate why the community at large doesn't like the Suppression mechanic, but the entire structural design of the MMG class was based around this mechanic as a balancing factor.

Since it was removed... what did we get to replace it?

Machine Gunner (Unlockable)

With this Support Class Combat Role, you remain focused amid the wreckage your bullet showers create and can automatically spot enemies that you suppress for your squad to pick off. You’ve tamed those unruly Light or Medium Machine Guns and can suppress hordes of foes more effectively.

Machine Gunner Traits

Bullet Storm: You have increased suppression ability.
    Focused Fire: Automatically spot enemies when you fully suppress them.

Sorry, but these design mechanics utterly suck in terms of actual effectiveness in game and in absolutely no way at all make up for the loss of the original suppression mechanic from Battlefield games in the past.

The MMG was at it's prime in Battlefield 3 and 4, it's been progressively nerfed since (either by stealth or outright hits).

Battlefield one MMGs were solid from the hip, at range and could suppress.

In Battlefield 5, they've nerfed all three aspects of the design and given bugger all to balance them back out.

This is why if you play MMGs, it's more often than not a very frustrating experience.

i'v been using the MMG's the second i got the mg34 , but like you said . The role they should be having just isn't there , you are pretty much plonking a gain sign above your for snipers when going prone and LED light it the moment you start shooting , i'v been thinking alot of times to return to the LMG's but i liked the MMG since bf3 so yeh. I'v seen alot of people say the LMG's are OP why is that i wonder? , oh yeah cause the other weapon support hase is pretty much almost next to useless
  • OrionPherrit
    460 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    TEKNOCODE wrote: »
    Support main.

I wanted to relax in a game of tdm after a couple glasses of wine and a bourbon.

Your not doing anything wrong..to improve..I guess .. if possible, start off and stick with the Bourbon :wink:
    I like the House of Bourbon skins for guns in BF1. :D The drink is fine too, but I try not to overindulge before the game as it tends to throw off my aim & slow my reflexes. o:)

• Austacker
    444 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Pmuecke wrote: »
    i'v been thinking alot of times to return to the LMG's but i liked the MMG since bf3 so yeh. I'v seen alot of people say the LMG's are OP why is that i wonder? , oh yeah cause the other weapon support hase is pretty much almost next to useless

There's a few reasons for that IMHO.

First, the core game design. It strongly favours run and gun, zerg style gameplay. There's no fear in play, no need for caution. The TTK being lowered back down is certainly great, but it's still not going to change much mechanically as there's no suppression in play. You can run - gun - shoot from the hip and there's no penalty for it at all.

Suppression (whilst there's debate it wasn't a fun experience) at least presented a level of impact to counter the core design of the run and gun style play.

If you're experienced with other more 'realism based' FPS games like for example America's Army, there's no real 'suppression' mechanic in play there either - but it's balanced out by the fact you cannot bunny hop and if you run, breathing impacts your aim. That actually makes a lot of sense! But Battlefield doesn't go to that level and it shows in the common core gameplay tactics players use.

The second lies in the fact that because there's no real impact on run and gun style play, the LMGs are basically heavier assault rifles in how they play. They have a lot of bullets and the impact to move / fire is minimal. You get the option of bipod play, but it's not required to be effective with them. I can understand and appreciate the complaints in that regard.
  • CoD_Is_Number_1
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    How about when you try to peek over and you end up shooting an invisible wall despite actually looking over? Absolutely the worst with sandbags.
  • Austacker
    444 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    How about when you try to peek over and you end up shooting an invisible wall despite actually looking over? Absolutely the worst with sandbags.

Very true. Clipping in this game (especially around Bipods) is woeful. But I lock this under a plethora of issues that surround fortification design in general.

It's a great concept, just needs a fair amount of work.
  • xKusagamix
    1103 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    This is one of the reason why i don't like the new TTK, MMGs are useless against Recon already because there's no suppression effect.

And MMGs bipod is buggy as heck atm.
  • Aircool_212
    764 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Don't forget those times when you do get it set up, but you can't seem to hit anyone until you realise that all your bullets are going into terrain about a foot away, even though the barrel appears to be clear.

A little indicator on the screen for this would be most useful. They did it for Battlefront II because in third person mode, you quite often end up shooting terrain because Stormtroopers are too daft to switch hands.