I'm Done.

Comments

• vcm0x
    186 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    go slow mate. unless you know the map 100%, don't rush into things. always be around teammates. if i can't be around 2 other players, i don't spawn. play as a medic so you can heal yourself.

and as others have said -- record your game sessions!
  • DocCuda418
    138 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Micas99 wrote: »
    DocCuda418 wrote: »
    I started with Doom (I'm 52), and I played in the first FPS world championship, which was Doom in 1995. I lost in the first round to Thresh, who eventually won the tournament, playing against Merlock. I played against them and many other highly skilled players regularly over Dwango, and racked up $400 a month in long distance phone bills. I played in a TFC clan that went undefeated in 10 months of play. So ya, I used to be a really good FPS player, but now I've slowed a bit, but that very high speed twitch play in the early games is still sort of how I play, and it just doesn't work now. My hands are fine, and I think my mind is still sharp.

What was fun about those old games was playing a control style where you deny the other player constantly. Thresh was a master of that. But anyway.. that's way OT.. time to record some play and ya'll can see how bad a former world class player is now.

My first job in IT was working for a Gallacticom BBS which ran the software that made Doom II 4-way, Duke and Decent 8-way possible. My job was setting up user modems to work with "SirDoom" and later heavy work on the BBS side. Quake and widespread internet killed the system off.

I mention this as on Cincinnati Multi-Player connection I ran into very stiff completion, one such gent was named "merlock" and another was "DerFrag Furer" or something like that. The really messed up part is if I dig up the demo and find the right version of Doom II it ran on I have a ladder final where I am playing Merlock one on one.

Wonder if its the same guy, must be? I saved the demo as it was easily the toughest guy I played. I was basically paid to play Doom and design maps in those days so I got very good at it.

Damn dude... that's awesome. We both were involved in that early scene in very similar ways. I had a partner with Doom II 4-way and Duke - the modem rack was great. I was a better Duke player than Doom, which was kind of scary for everyone else. I lived in Phoenix, and it was cool to be the regular target for the local guys trying to dethrone me.

For sure, the guy you're thinking of is the very same Merlock. I actually won the Arizona ladder final to go to Seattle for the doom championship. IMO, Merlock had better twitch precision, but Thresh had better environment control skill. I even played John Romero once. I remember distinctly that he did the BFG trick where you fire it and a split second later, click against a wall, then re-aim the BFG and the BFG would make no sound so the other guy didn't know it was coming. After that, I'd start doing it to other guys and they were stunned. I was kind of a jerk about it since I wouldn't tell anyone else how to do it.. lol I've got demos someplace as well. I haven't watched in forever, but the last time I did I really was shocked how fast everything was. As soon as I dropped into a lobby, guys were wanting a piece of me.

good times - but now, here I am, decades later.. a BF5 scrub

Wow, strange. I lived in MN and MA back in those days but I live in Phoenix now, lol. Yeah, the game against Merlock we used the -turbo setting, its amazing how fast everything is and because of the perfect timing hit detection wasn't even a term. By far and away my favorite multiplayer was Duke 3D. Most balanced weapons. I was unbeatable to some degree back then as I would run a pattern to stay at 200/200 while also depriving anyone else of powerups and weapons. I never hunted players, just killed who I came across running my circuit. Duke 3D balanced that out with the damn "Shrink Gun", got stepped on a lot. Freezing people around corners, it was epic.

I also enjoyed Blood. Hearing people running around screaming "It burns! It burns!" with a flare stuck in their back. Rise of the Triad, Heretic, Hexen. 30+ maps was the release norm, 30.
  • ZeuZx
    71 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited December 2018
    I'd play again if they allow us to rent and admin our own servers. To me that's whats mostly missing in BF5 is that close knit community on your local servers with the ruleset you love.
  • alienstout
    680 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ZeuZx wrote: »
    I'd play again if they allow us to rent and admin our own servers. To me that's whats mostly missing in BF5 is that close knit community on your local servers with the ruleset you love.

We need our YouTube overlords getting DICE on this. I agree, they tried to make up for it with Platoons and EA rented servers but it just doesn't work. Give us back our choices. I want a 1000 ticket IO X-LARGE server please.
  • n4tivoPR
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My biggest issue is that the enemy is barely visible. I have to squint every darn time. Also I agree with op. I do much better in BF1 than I do in BFV.
  • DocCuda418
    138 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    alienstout wrote: »
    ZeuZx wrote: »

We need our YouTube overlords getting DICE on this. I agree, they tried to make up for it with Platoons and EA rented servers but it just doesn't work. Give us back our choices. I want a 1000 ticket IO X-LARGE server please.

Im waiting in a huge queue for BF4 as we speak. Love those high ticket servers and getting the bro bar up. Time for some killin'
  • xKusagamix
    868 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The game is fun to me, but it need more time to adapt, i die a lot in the first couple hours without a clue where to hide or expect a gun fire from.
    But this is the first Battlefield game i get a decent K/D at start. And although people seem to hate to play the Medic class but i have the most fun and highest SPM playing the Medic class, just love the MP40.
  • Micas99
    814 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I also enjoyed Blood. Hearing people running around screaming "It burns! It burns!" with a flare stuck in their back. Rise of the Triad, Heretic, Hexen. 30+ maps was the release norm, 30.

Those games.. it was really a golden age that changed the way young guys (nerds really) spent their free time. The original team fortress on Quake changed everything and spawned FPS clans. Glorious.

I got OBS to record me being crappy in BF5, so we'll see what kind of footage I can get. From world class in 1994 to complete scrub in 2018... a retrospective of a nerd.

OMFG.. you are not going to believe this.. I just typed my old clan name into google, and this;

Look at the bottom of the scoreboard at the start. We were legends in TF comp.
  • TyroneLoyd
    1212 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Is it taboo for me to say I feel the exact opposite way you guys are feeling? I feel like I'm playing smarter the older I get. Reaction time hasnt really changed much (I'm sure it will when I hit my late 30s) but I feel alot more free in this game mainly because of the spotting changes. So I can initiate any type of angle I want.
  • Micas99
    814 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    OH ffs
  • DocCuda418
    Maybe we should be forming a clan of old timers. If you're still alive and can play, you're good.

• Quasar9111
    170 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    you killed 14 in 7 hours - blimey - now im crap, but not that crap !!
  • PolarChihuahua
    124 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe we should be forming a clan of old timers. If you're still alive and can play, you're good.

Old Guys Gaming is still active. We even still play BFV for some reason. Anyone over 30 is welcome to come and say hi.
  • Obliviate1982
    212 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    37 here, still shredding especially in bfv its much better now that 3d spot is gone and i can now be sneaky, feels like old bf's again and I thought i would never see this day come.

PS,as you get older and more comfortable you rely less on reactions so "lose them" , you can train yourself to use your reactions again, saying you don't have them anymore is a copout, get training.
  • Mutt3AD
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Man up and accept the fact your reflexes aren't what they used to be. Find a good squad (easier said then done sometimes) that understands the game and you'll have the time of your life. You have to adjust your gameplay to be more patient (camper-like <barf>) and less of wanting to be in the top 5 with kills. I almost always play medic and have achieved some very nice scores simply by reviving or waiting for attackers to re-load, pop out and kill 3-4, then revive my teammate. I am by no means a pro, I still make mistakes, but I'm still trying to hone what skills I have so I can be a valuable asset to my squad. I'm 50 yrs. old fwiw.
  • TapperSweden
    202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The biggest problem is, at least for me, that the severs are far from consistent, moust of the time im playing with up to a second of delay making the game feel and look choppy/jerky /frame skipping and that enemys are moving faster then they really are. And enemys appearing from what looks like nowhere due to "fast movement", it also makes enemys mutch harder to track especially in QQ.

When i was playing BF 4 there was about 7-8 servers that worked really good (rented private servers in Germany/Sweden) and if i was not playing on them i had the exact same delay as i have in BF V, i have had a few nights where i been lucky in BF V and ended up on a server that works good all the way to Sweden from Germany and it is like a whole other game ,the ultra fast ttd actually gives me 2 -3 hitmarkers before i drop dead instead of 1 on the bad performing servers, meaning i have that extra ms to react to enemy fire, no frame skipping, enemys are easy to track and i have a chance to get out of harms way or fire back.

This are the main problems for me, and im sure many others, especially if you have to play on servers that are not even in your country,if we could get rented servers so that you could choose the ones you know work good this problems would go away.

This is also why i think many players have no issues at all with the game and the fast ttd is also affected by this, if you live close to servers and have a good ping you wont have the 1 frame death at all or very rarly (ping and latencies affect this) and you wont be playing with delay that makes everything twice as hard and you will have a mutch more fluid game overall.

Im 44 years old and i dont feel that my reactions are any slower then when i was 22 and playing MP Ghost recon :-), I recorded a few games on BF 4 before i finally uninstalled it (6 month ago) after 1900 played houers and i think my reflex still are really fast. Not having delay makes all the difference in the world, and no mather how fast you are it wont matter when you getting played by the server.

This one starts of slow with only 3 vs 3 , fast forward to min 22 and its pretty great action from there on.

• StingX71
    794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Few friends I had left playing BF from my PC clan just bailed on V and went back to PubG. I'm Lone Wolfing it again. :( Started with with BF1 which decimated my clans numbers. How's that for churn DICE.
  • TyroneLoyd
    1212 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    OH ffs

?what
  • alienstout
    680 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Man, remember the time when people got tired of waiting for a new BF game and started playing crap like Combat Arms?
  • TyroneLoyd
    edited December 2018
    alienstout wrote: »
    Man, remember the time when people got tired of waiting for a new BF game and started playing crap like Combat Arms?

I liked alliance of valiant arms better
    Played it for a good 7 years even though it became pay to win horse radish
This discussion has been closed.