Fortifications issue

llPhantom_Limbll
6292 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
Let's forget for a while about all TTK and netcode shenanigans BFV has and talk about another annoying thingy in this game aka fortifications or lack of those.

I mean the game has been out for almost 2 months now and it became clear to me that the majority of playerbase don't give a thing about fortifications or construct only worthless ones while useful stuff like supply stations or stationary weapons aren't being a priority. I have played many rounds when I was the one and only player building supply stations around the map while others were running cluelessly around like they usually do.

So now I'm thinking what can possibly be done to encourage players and make them construct important things? I see a couple of possibilities as of right now a tiny amount of additional points doesn't seem to work.
Maybe the game should award you with additional ammo and 1 extra medical bandage when you built supply station? Or maybe the game should prevent construction of any additional fortifications until both stations are made? Or maybe you should gain way more point each time someone is resupplied at the statin you've constructed?

If nothing can be done, maybe Dice should simply prebuild all the stations around flags and be done with it? Especially tank supply stations because if 1 player per team knows that those can actually be made, it's a pure miracle.

Seriously, something has to be done. It will become more and more frustrating with time.

Comments

• llPhantom_Limbll
    6292 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    As expected, even forumfield doesn't care about such thing...
  • ackers75
    2651 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah I agree something needs to happen to these fortifications because nobody seems to build them.
    I think a simple increase in points would do but at the moment there just a gimmick
  • xx_Dante2k_xx
    638 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    As expected, even forumfield doesn't care about such thing...

I agree, I'm usually the only guy on the team building the ammo or health stations.
  • ElliotLH
    9541 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Feel your pain and frustration as while I'm quite happy building things it seems that most don't bother. I'm not sure what can be done to encourage more people to build though and I don't even think that increasing the points would help - most are just content pew-pewing.
  • MONEYPYR0
    828 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    One of the main problems is that most fortifications are easily destroyed by a single explosive. Realistic for sure, sandbags arent meant to hold up against grenades, but it makes the time needed to build them seem like a waste.

Personally I build up entire objectives, and I'll rebuild them if needed, especially in a mode like Breakthrough where defense is vital. I'll also build supply stations every opportuinity I have.

I'm also unsure of what could be done to encourage it more. My only thought is maybe a lot of players just dont know/understand how the system works, so maybe in the Practice Range DICE could add in a tutorial section on how to build fortifications?
  • ElliotLH
    9541 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Do you do any building in single player? I can't remember for sure but something tells me you don't. Maybe that would help for those newer players who actually go through the War Stories?
  • MONEYPYR0
    828 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH wrote: »
    Do you do any building in single player? I can't remember for sure but something tells me you don't. Maybe that would help for those newer players who actually go through the War Stories?

You don't. I mean heck, you dont even have first aid kits in War Stories, those are replaced with throwing a bullet casing
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    MONEYPYR0 wrote: »
    One of the main problems is that most fortifications are easily destroyed by a single explosive. Realistic for sure, sandbags arent meant to hold up against grenades, but it makes the time needed to build them seem like a waste.

Personally I build up entire objectives, and I'll rebuild them if needed, especially in a mode like Breakthrough where defense is vital. I'll also build supply stations every opportuinity I have.

I'm also unsure of what could be done to encourage it more. My only thought is maybe a lot of players just dont know/understand how the system works, so maybe in the Practice Range DICE could add in a tutorial section on how to build fortifications?

Well I've made a thread long time ago with the idea of mandatory tutorial which should give a basic idea to any new player how the game works and what can be done or achieved. Singleplayer can't be considered a tutorial replacement because not many people even play SP and it doesn't represent MP in many ways.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    2247 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Outside of breakthrough you end up aiding the enemy just as much as your own team. If they made supply stations side specific that would help. Seeing as very few objectives on maps during are properly defended once capped, that lovely medic station you just built comes in mighty handy to the enemy team when they roll round to re cap it
  • ElliotLH

You don't. I mean heck, you dont even have first aid kits in War Stories, those are replaced with throwing a bullet casing

Cool, glad it's just not my early-onset Alzheimers kicking in. It's obviously too late to add anything to the War Stories at this point so hopefully they add them to test range or give some more in-game hints instead.
  • Trokey66
    9101 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The only thing I can think of is an increase in points awarded. I also like.the idea that the builder gets points from resupplies/heals from depots that they have built.

Problem is, unless you have the tool kit equipped, their locations are not always obvious. Yes, you can see the pallets on which they are built but unless you know what they are then they are just the usual debris on the Battlefield.

I can't think of a way to make them more obvious whilst at the same time being unobtrusive if not built.
  • MONEYPYR0

Well I've made a thread long time ago with the idea of mandatory tutorial which should give a basic idea to any new player how the game works and what can be done or achieved. Singleplayer can't be considered a tutorial replacement because not many people even play SP and it doesn't represent MP in many ways.

I don't think they could make anything mandatory without alienating players. It would have to be a Practice Range thing, so even then it wouldn't be garunteed.

Cool, glad it's just not my early-onset Alzheimers kicking in. It's obviously too late to add anything to the War Stories at this point so hopefully they add them to test range or give some more in-game hints instead.

No worries, I'm also a forgetful old man, so Im surprised I even remember, lol.
  • Kashik1985
    76 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You see more fortification use on breakthrough because you aren't constantly on the run like in conquest. There are some initial benefit to them when defending a flag, but I find once the enemy is close enough the bags get shredded in seconds.

Playing aerodrome you can really see this. The defenders build up everything and take their positions. You get some momentary cover allowing you to position yourself inside the hanger without being spotted. Once assaults are close or a tank comes in, the bags are melted and it becomes easier taking positions to the sides of the main door than it is to rebuild the fortifications.

I really like the idea of being able to build fortifications, but they don't offer much protection and their build time vs lifespan doesn't balance well.
  • OldSkoolzFinest
    471 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Let's forget for a while about all TTK and netcode shenanigans BFV has and talk about another annoying thingy in this game aka fortifications or lack of those.

I mean the game has been out for almost 2 months now and it became clear to me that the majority of playerbase don't give a thing about fortifications or construct only worthless ones while useful stuff like supply stations or stationary weapons aren't being a priority. I have played many rounds when I was the one and only player building supply stations around the map while others were running cluelessly around like they usually do.

So now I'm thinking what can possibly be done to encourage players and make them construct important things? I see a couple of possibilities as of right now a tiny amount of additional points doesn't seem to work.
    Maybe the game should award you with additional ammo and 1 extra medical bandage when you built supply station? Or maybe the game should prevent construction of any additional fortifications until both stations are made? Or maybe you should gain way more point each time someone is resupplied at the statin you've constructed?

If nothing can be done, maybe Dice should simply prebuild all the stations around flags and be done with it? Especially tank supply stations because if 1 player per team knows that those can actually be made, it's a pure miracle.

Seriously, something has to be done. It will become more and more frustrating with time.

Agreed.
    The gameplay is simply too fast for this feature. No one wants to build anything knowing they'll most likely be picked off with while doing it, especially with how fast the ttk is.
    Same goes for the dragging feature that hasn't been implemented yet and I think Dice knows this. People die way too fast to have features like these in this game.
  • VincentNZ
    3885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well that is because the whole mechanic is just a gimmick. They also rarely serve a purpose or are a detriment to gameplay, mostly in conquest that is. Since the default action is to attack flags and not defend them every fortification you build will act against you in the rare occurence of actually meeting someone defending. Others will just flatlout hinder you, and were built by your own team. E on Rotterdam is a prime example. You take it for your team and if you are underground you can be sure that some idiot put barb wire in the exits hindering you to move out.
    Any enemy attacking the flag will profit from the barb wire, as time for them is not of the essence, but if you want to defend the attacked objective and spawn in, the barb will again hinder you.
    I would have just preferred some got defensive positions at flag areas and generally a more careful approach to map design and destruction.
  • kreepypriest
    441 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What ever class I play it’s usually me building up the first aid station or the ammo station while the zerg runs off for their meager points..plus the platoon I’m with we usually play a lot defence on flags..stops those pesky back cappers and flankers
  • dirtyann
    44 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    IMO they should allow to build everywhere and anything. Like, it would be really cool to be able to build a mg nest in between 2 important flags, artillery, field mortars, trying to be a bit less predictable in where you fortify. Players should have the hability to dig foxholes and traps. But that's just me, some poeple could get annoyed at it. And I am not talking about a pronie hiding in a dark corner somewhere irrevelant to the objective...but I guess poeple are too dumb to exploit these things in a proper manner and it would just be more of a campfield than a battlefield.
  • mrzamo1879
    78 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Most people care about points, why not just make it something like 300 points per station built? Make it worth the players time.
  • xx_Dante2k_xx
    638 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I had to literally build both stations on every flag by myself today, I was playing Hamada on frontlines.
    Funny how when you build them people start using them lol.
  • l-SneakyBastrd-l
    215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It would be nice if you build these stations, you should get either cc or points each time they are used