Buff tank MGs and splash damage to discourage tank camping

mf_shro0m
1398 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited December 2018
Shooting an infantry soldier with a ~500RPM tank MG does 33 damage?
That's a joke

I've been wondering why there are some many thanks camped on the edges of maps and this is the main reason.
At close range, it's disproportionately easy for infantry to kill tanks.
I mean they move around a bit, shoot 2 PIATs and some rifle grenades and it's done. Simple.
The tanks on the other hand, when there's only 1 dude in it, needs to line their slow **** cannon up with a moving target and either score a direct hit or multiple splash hits. Or shoot them four times with the MG.
That's ridiculous. At close range, unless the tank has a full crew, which I rarely see, tanks are screwed.
As a result, tanks have been avoiding enclosed environments and have instead been staying away, often camping on hills and the edges of maps which just detracts from the experience.

So Dice, please buff tank driver MG damage and splash damage to reduce the number of goddamn tank campers and get tankers using tanks like their supposed to.

Making a 500RPM MG that's moves slow af, on a tank a 2 or 3 hit kill is totally fair.
As for splash damage, just increase it.

If you support this, let it be known

Comments

• WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Problem with the MGs are that they have an initial velocity/ speed of 400 m/s as opposed to the 740 m/s infantry counterpart (MG34 coaxial vs MG34 infantry) furthermore the min damage drop off is far closer with tank at only 28.75 metres.

For some crazy reason the Pz. IV with stock 75mm cannon does more splash damage than the Tiger’s 88mm cannon. An upgraded Valentine’s 6-pounder only does 85 splash damage MAX, meaning no mater how close you are you’ll never one hit kill.

On most the coaxials the max damage is 23 and min is 18. This is not factoring in multipliers... I once somehow did 8 damage with the Valentine’s MG sat point blank range to an assault hahaha!
  • smokintom214
    1794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The only way I'd buff top Gunner MGs is to slightly increase the bullet spread. It may be over the top but I think the rate of fire and damage is good as it is.
  • MBT_Layzan
    1437 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I just can't believe how tanking+camping is almost the standard operating procedure now. They need to lose the disable feature period so tanks can get more involved.
  • smokintom214
    1794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MBT_Layzan wrote: »
    I just can't believe how tanking+camping is almost the standard operating procedure now. They need to lose the disable feature period so tanks can get more involved.

I see the frustration campers have against someone like myself who can take out 7 tanks in one game. What other choice would they have? 😏
  • midgman
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah tanks are a joke now I hit people dead on and it doesn't do **** anymore. But I will say tanks are not that easy to kill anymore. One infantry soldier CANNOT take out a tank, I know this I have stuck 2 dynamites on one and hit it with 2 RPGs and a tank grenade and it still lived. This has happened to me many times not just a few.
  • smokintom214
    midgman wrote: »
    Yeah tanks are a joke now I hit people dead on and it doesn't do **** anymore. But I will say tanks are not that easy to kill anymore. One infantry soldier CANNOT take out a tank, I know this I have stuck 2 dynamites on one and hit it with 2 RPGs and a tank grenade and it still lived. This has happened to me many times not just a few.

You can equip 3 of each equalling 6 in total. You need to flank the tank, and hit the top of the engine compartment on any tank but the Churchill crocodile will go down by a single assault

For support, throw down 3 AT mines behind the enemy tank by the engine and shoot the mines

Satisfaction as it finest :smile:
  • MeFirstThenYou
    111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The Machine Guns on the Tanks are very strong. Not speaking of the infantry mounted one on the top of the turret, but what the tank driver/gunner can control. They are accurate, have a high rate of fire and kill in 3-4 body shots. It is also pretty easy to give people headshots with them. I would rather see options to increase the damage a tank can do with its main gun on infantry in the open.
  • MBT_Layzan
    1437 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018

It's more like you just succumb to the zerg rush spawn fest and AT assault spam/mines being thrown at you after one hit disables you. It's a death sentence on most maps unless you camp like a.........................
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

You can solo tanks really easily in this game, I never have any problems with it, you just have to be efficient and aim wisely, with some planning & patience.
  • WinterWarhurst
    MBT_Layzan wrote: »

It's more like you just succumb to the zerg rush spawn fest and AT assault spam/mines being thrown at you after one hit disables you. It's a death sentence on most maps unless you camp like a.........................

Yeah only way to play tanks effectively is to camp and farm which is simply depressing, it’s really impossible to keep up with the Zerg for prolonged periods, even if you had unlimited ammo! Basically can’t stray too far from a depot!
  • WinterWarhurst
    edited December 2018
    The Machine Guns on the Tanks are very strong. Not speaking of the infantry mounted one on the top of the turret, but what the tank driver/gunner can control. They are accurate, have a high rate of fire and kill in 3-4 body shots. It is also pretty easy to give people headshots with them. I would rather see options to increase the damage a tank can do with its main gun on infantry in the open.

I think it is an exaggeration to say they are very strong considering they nerfed velocity almost 50% of their infantry counterparts (400 m/s vs 740 m/s for coaxial MG34 vs infantry MG34). The max/ min damage is 23/ 18, so I’m not sure where you get the 3-4 body shots from, it’s 5 hit kill minimum. Also the damage drop off is far less than it is for infantry, at only 28.75m, whereas it’s 75m for the infantry variant. In fact I once hit an infantry player at point blank range for only 8 with the Valentine, probably hit a hand. They also have a spread of 0.34-0.4.

Sure they can be relatively effective, but to say they’re very strong is statistically unsupported in my opinion.
  • DavTan
    752 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm fine with the guns dmg IF they increase vehicle speed and or acceleration along with turret speed and track rotation.
    If tanks had these buffs then you'd see more inside the flag radius helping their infy because they could retreat more quickly if under more pressure than they can handle.
    I think it would raise the skill ceiling for tankers. Fighting on the flags with a tank would be a skill to learn like on bf4 and 3
  • WinterWarhurst
    DavTan wrote: »
    I'm fine with the guns dmg IF they increase vehicle speed and or acceleration along with turret speed and track rotation.
    If tanks had these buffs then you'd see more inside the flag radius helping their infy because they could retreat more quickly if under more pressure than they can handle.
    I think it would raise the skill ceiling for tankers. Fighting on the flags with a tank would be a skill to learn like on bf4 and 3

They also need to stop spawning in enemies directly behind your tank when you go anywhere near the capture zone, because you’re gonna get instantly disabled regardless of whether you have ample infantry support.

That said I think they really need to increase MG TTK at close ranges and splash damage to encourage playing the objective more.
  • xCRIMSONxGUARDx
    297 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    tanks now need to be strategical, some camp instead to farm, not to play. that said tanks need work. got to be a balance somewhere like past bf, right now not there yet. what makes me mad is taking tank on offense and get shot at by guy who is 1 ft away from team infantry and team don't see him. even pushing spot thingy. i know they nerfed it, but still works enough that you should see it when ppl use it.
  • DavTan
    752 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What I do is patrol lanes between flags trying stop enemy movement and if I'm getting a big kill count it usually attracts more attention and 4 or 5 try and swarm me... If I can keep em busy like this it means my team has less infy to deal with.
  • WinterWarhurst
    tanks now need to be strategical, some camp instead to farm, not to play. that said tanks need work. got to be a balance somewhere like past bf, right now not there yet. what makes me mad is taking tank on offense and get shot at by guy who is 1 ft away from team infantry and team don't see him. even pushing spot thingy. i know they nerfed it, but still works enough that you should see it when ppl use it.

It would be good if tankers could mark enemies for the team to see, but yeah half the problem is when you push on a cap with infantry support typically enemies start spawning behind you because the spawn system is so open, it makes is nearly impossible for tankers to consistently PTFO even with infantry support.
  • DukeSan27
    1157 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    DavTan wrote: »
    What I do is patrol lanes between flags trying stop enemy movement and if I'm getting a big kill count it usually attracts more attention and 4 or 5 try and swarm me... If I can keep em busy like this it means my team has less infy to deal with.

Same here, figure out the movement based upon flag status and position yourself. Though you can get easily overwhelmed if you are too close to the Zerg train.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    787 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The mgs are deadly and fine. The total lack of splash damage from tank shells almost seems like bug territory.

I mean, there are specs like ACPR rounds that say “increased armor pen at the cost of blast damage.” But how can you have less than zero? Dice?
  • DukeSan27
    1157 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

It would be good if tankers could mark enemies for the team to see, but yeah half the problem is when you push on a cap with infantry support typically enemies start spawning behind you because the spawn system is so open, it makes is nearly impossible for tankers to consistently PTFO even with infantry support.

The spawn system has gone backwards. I am positioned north of E on Narvik, outside cap zone, so how does someone spawn behind me (even further north, away from the flag)?

Same story on many other flags.