EAs Battlefield currency is coming

Stahlmach
1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited December 2018
Seems like EA tries the next step revive the already dead horse. Although this game has a lot of Bugs, very bad gameplay decisiosn and a lack of maps, and the problem with company coins is still not fixed! But instead we get is another currency, the battlefield currency. Stated right now only being able to use for cosmetic items....

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/a87g1y/battlefield_currecy_coming_11819/

https://assets.vg247.com/current//2018/10/battlefield-5-progress-system.jpg

Comments

• Psycomad
    70 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Due to microtransactions and gambling boxes i might not buy Anthem. I bought this game due to the discount.
    I newer play bf1, don't know why it says i have.

Today's AAA games the 60€/$ you pay for a game is an entry fee, rest of activitys cost money.
    Like an amusement park
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ackers75 wrote: »
    Yep don’t worry that our game is a complete and utter mess,but would you mind in buying some battlefield currency!

I really can’t say what I think of that in any way that won’t get me banned,but am sure there are plenty of mugs that will be more than willing to cough up more money

Its really a Joke and now we can see why something like the Panzer IV " Die Wacht am Rhein " Skin costs 33.000 Company Coins. So i can spend real money on broken Vehicles that Dice treats like a Nuisance and will be destroyed by the countless Assaults in notime anyway.
    And i will bet that the more - lets say historical - Uniform skins will be only availabe via the Battlefield coins. Same for sure with Ranks and Insignia.
  • l_water_l
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Why would I pay real money for a plane skin when they needlessly nerfed every aspect of every plane into the ground instead of just fixing the no damage to bombers by aa bug and slightly nerfing air-to-ground weapons?
  • Stahlmach
    l_water_l wrote: »
    Why would I pay real money for a plane skin when they needlessly nerfed every aspect of every plane into the ground instead of just fixing the no damage to bombers by aa bug and slightly nerfing air-to-ground weapons?

Excactly my point. The Vehicle Skins are - right now - the most expansive one in the game. These same vehicles are treated by Dice like a Nuisance, only great when used for marketing videos. But in the game they " disturb " the heavy infantry focused gameplay.
    Paying money for a Tiger Skin ? The weakest Tank in the game which gets owned by a Staghound ? Despite the " One shot - Subsystem disabled " Panzerfaust spam ?
    Or for a Messerschmidt skin before being owned by the allmighty Spitfire VA in combination with the insane mobile AA ?
    No thank you.
  • Tee_Doff2369
    253 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    As long as we can grind out CC reliably and they don't lock skins solely behind Boins, then I am not too bothered. The skins we have so far are all fairly 'meh' so at least this might make them put some better designed gear in.
  • Stahlmach
    As long as we can grind out CC reliably and they don't lock skins solely behind Boins, then I am not too bothered. The skins we have so far are all fairly 'meh' so at least this might make them put some better designed gear in.

But will that " better designed gear " maybe effect the balance ? Real authentic camo could change a lot once Dice maybe gets to the point where different outfits are combined with different maps like in previous titles.
    Snow camo for snow maps etc.
  • narnold700
    282 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Psycomad wrote: »
    Due to microtransactions and gambling boxes i might not buy Anthem. I bought this game due to the discount.

Today's AAA games the 60€/$ you pay for a game is an entry fee, rest of activitys cost money.
    Like an amusement park

Well this is inflation hard at work. The truth is the up front purchase price of the best games has not gone up that much over the years but development costs have and there's been industry consolidation. This is why when you purchase a game now it tends to be an unfinished product or less product in general. If you paid the true full price of many of the good games out there now you'd be looking at having to drop anywhere from $100 on the low end to perhaps as much as $150 on the higher end. The industry of course knows a lot of people would have trouble stomaching those prices for a single game which is part of the reason we have the system we do. Hollywood has kind of drifted in a similar direction over the years minus buying half a movie, well sort of. In the end I see both the gaming industry and Hollywood moving over to subscription only models of business. This will make it even easier for customers to stomach the increasing costs imposed by inflation and development.
  • Stahlmach
    edited December 2018
    narnold700 wrote: »

Like an amusement park

Well this is inflation hard at work. The truth is the up front purchase price of the best games has not gone up that much over the years but development costs have and there's been industry consolidation. This is why when you purchase a game now it tends to be an unfinished product or less product in general. If you paid the true full price of many of the good games out there now you'd be looking at having to drop anywhere from $100 on the low end to perhaps as much as $150 on the higher end. The industry of course knows a lot of people would have trouble stomaching those prices for a single game which is part of the reason we have the system we do. Hollywood has kind of drifted in a similar direction over the years minus buying half a movie, well sort of. In the end I see both the gaming industry and Hollywood moving over to subscription only models of business. This will make it even easier for customers to stomach the increasing costs imposed by inflation and development.

The development costs for AAA may have risen but the costs for storing and selling are going down, especially with cheap internet access and Digital sales.
    The real reason for half finished games lies somewhere else. Video games as a media product make more money than every other media product like movies and music combined. This changed the industry and attracted shareholders. These shareholders have an interest in revenue which is totally normal. They dont care about the product behind that. Companies like EA try several things to ensure its shareholders that the revenue is safe, DRM is in fact one tool for that although is really isnt working. But it works towards the shareholders as a placebo.
    With shareholders and revenue are coming quarterly figures and that! is heavily influencing the product. The game isnt finished ? Doesnt matter we need to get it out, the rest can come later because the costumers are already always on.

Now comes the other part. Games like FIFA, Fortnite and GTA Online showed the companies that there are more than enough people out there who will pay - in relation - an insane amount of real money for cheap cosmetics that are very fast ( and cheap ) produced but sold for a high price. They take less time to make in relation to Single player content and you can create a lot of content just by cutting orginal content from the main game.

I bet that we will see this here in BF V where ranks and insignia for soldiers should be a common thing, maybe even in combination with gameplay progress. Why not earning/getting an iron Cross or Knights Cross once you reach a certain amount of Kills/finished Objectives etc ? Something that would be visible on your Uniform ?

Companies like CD Project are showing the difference. A high Quality product that gets fair priced Add-Ons filled with content that doesnt feel like it should belong in the main game. And people reward that.
  • Psycomad
    70 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Like an amusement park

Its nothing more then greed, people that argue cost increase never provide documentation.
    How much money they spend on production is a choice, EA stopped production on Star wars single player game because they didn't
    think i would make them enough money, single player games are hard to moneytize beyond initial sales.

But wages haven't really increased either, so it evens out.
  • smokintom214
    1794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Like an amusement park

IT IS YOUR CHOICE to buy the premium currency for strictly cosmetics. Dice isn't holding your hand forcing you to. Btw, dice is doing away with loot boxes. There will be shipments each week for deluxe holders that will be free. That's it.
  • Stahlmach
    edited December 2018

Like an amusement park

IT IS YOUR CHOICE to buy the premium currency for strictly cosmetics. Dice isn't holding your hand forcing you to. Btw, dice is doing away with loot boxes. There will be shipments each week for deluxe holders that will be free. That's it.

What about Skins that make a change when it comes to visibilty ? Take a look at the british AA. Since the latest Update that tank is " yellow " by default and with the exception of Hamada is therefore pretty visable, even from the sky. The green camo for it costs 8000 Coins and makes a difference.
    And dont be naive, it makes a difference when Premium skins in a historical setting will - for example - be looking more like the real thing in comparison to the stock skins. If the the game itself wouldnt be such garbage, i could see myself spending real money for an authentic german Officer uniform before ever touching that Canis horribilis....thing.
    Same with possible options of combining assets.
    For example: there is a certain hat for the german side that looks like the one from Tank Commander pter Müller from the campaign. But you can only get this hat together with a scarf. No chance without it. And the googles, that you can also buy, cannot be combined with that hat like we see in the campaign.
    If such things will be possible via these new Coins, its also a clear disadvantage towards the normal user.
  • Psycomad
    edited December 2018

Like an amusement park

Produceing microtransaction content takes resources, look at this game, it's not even ready and they are pushing cosmetics.
    You are defending a company that took Belgium to court, because they weren't aloud too recruit kids to gambling.

And 'no one is forcing you' is a kids argument.
  • CoD_Is_Number_1
    309 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Like an amusement park

Generally, at least in the ones I've been to, you pay for the entrance fee and you can go on whatever rides you like for no extra cost. Food and those claw machines designed to take all your money so you can win a prize cost extra, but the rides just have you queue up (though you can pay extra for fast passes). Probably doesn't hold true for all of them, though.

Anyway, to the topic at hand, EA can't seriously expect people to pay out for company coins (I assume that's what we're buying?) when people are missing thousands due to bugs, are having trouble with the game due to bugs, have less content than previous Battlefields...

I mean, nothing we say will stop them, greed is a powerful thing, but perhaps people would be more open to the idea if the game they were supporting was actually in a good place. That should be top priority, not MTX. In this situation, I would apologise to players, offer cosmetics as compensation (especially for the loyal players who bought it at full price at launch only to get royally screwed a couple of weeks later with a heavy discount, I see it's at 55% off on PC at the moment, I'll wait until after launch next time I buy a Battlefield game, don't you worry EA) and set DICE to work out of my own pocket to make this game as good as it can be.

But nah, let's dig our hole a little deeper and say screw all that - we'll put in MTX instead. Hope you (EA) didn't promise too much revenue from Battlefield to your shareholders, I don't expect people will be too willing to part with their money over this mess. I certainly won't spend a single penny more considering you've already got 55% more money out of me than you should have.
  • SpStaufer
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Remember when paid MMOs used to become f2p after a year or so because they werent selling well enought and gave everyone that payed the full price a **** ton of cosmetics, premium currency and a lot of premium subscription time to compensate them?

Even EA did it with SWTOR, but that was years ago. Now you pay 60 euros/dollars, or whatever your country have, and even more if you buy things like deluxe editions just to find out they are selling the game at half price just a month after release and they will put a real money currency, but you arent going to be compensated for it and will have to pay like everyone else even when you have already paid more for the same product.

Fixing bugs like CC not being properly awarded? Nah, screw it, it just directly affect the cosmetics part of the game, so we will instead add a premium currency for the same cosmetics that will work perfectly from day one...
  • CSO7777
    2023 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    They scrapped premium and has to make money somehow.

A lot of us older players don't really understand this cosmetic thing, but some people will use money on it and thats their business not mine (or any others for that sake).

As long as weapons is still obtainable through playing the game without too much grind, I don't really care. It will not affect me in any way, If the game is good then I will play it, with cosmetics or not.

If cosmetics can help keep the playerbase healthy for longer, so be it.

I don't think the people making cosmetics are the same people fixing bugs in the game, so this should not really change much for the state of the game.
  • Stahlmach
    CSO7777 wrote: »
    They scrapped premium and has to make money somehow.

A lot of us older players don't really understand this cosmetic thing, but some people will use money on it and thats their business not mine (or any others for that sake).

As long as weapons is still obtainable through playing the game without too much grind, I don't really care. It will not affect me in any way, If the game is good then I will play it, with cosmetics or not.

If cosmetics can help keep the playerbase healthy for longer, so be it.

I don't think the people making cosmetics are the same people fixing bugs in the game, so this should not really change much for the state of the game.

Cosmetics on top of a working, functioning, fun game that helds everything its promised ?
    Okay, i can live with that as long as its not changing the gameplay balance or atmosphere.
    Cosmetics on top of dumpster Fire that is called Battlefield V ?
    NO! Focus on the important things first!
  • DigitalHype
    834 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Like an amusement park

Its nothing more then greed, people that argue cost increase never provide documentation.
    How much money they spend on production is a choice, EA stopped production on Star wars single player game because they didn't
    think i would make them enough money, single player games are hard to moneytize beyond initial sales.

But wages haven't really increased either, so it evens out.

Agreed. Corporate greed drives this. Any threat of real competition, EA and the like will acquire the company and crush it. This reduces compeition and lines the pockets of shareholders and executives.
  • Sabu75
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I really like the game, if they keep fixing the game I will for sure pay for cosmetics.

Some years ago it was strange to pay for cosmetics, now it's common, but the game needs to be really good for it
  • Stahlmach
    edited December 2018
    Sabu75 wrote: »
    I really like the game, if they keep fixing the game I will for sure pay for cosmetics.

Some years ago it was strange to pay for cosmetics, now it's common, but the game needs to be really good for it

It was strange because they acted smart in a diabolical way. They didnt cut important things right from the start. It began slowly where you could find the data in the main game but it was locked and only accessible via DLCs. And now this happens with cosmetics. Cheap and fast to make, sold at a - in relation - high price.
    And yes it effects the main game because nobody can tell me that the ones designing/making the " normal " skins are giving their best when they know that you can sell many skins when people are happy with the basic ones.
    So they create everything cosmetic already with that divide in mind. And if not, someone at EA will remind them very fast.....