20mm Auto damage vs infantry.

BSPlissken
119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Is it just me or does this seem awfully low? In a light tank I hit infantry with this dead on and they soak 3-4 hits. Really Dice? Really? 1 is death, you are in pieces. I don't understand how a soldier can soak as many 20mm shells as .45mm or any other small arms gun.

God damn, I'll bend the knee to blast damage taking 3-4, but I think if I hit that SoB dead on they should be 1 MAYBE 2 hits. So stupidly frustrating otherwise atm.

Comments

• tsvictor
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Is it just me or does this seem awfully low? In a light tank I hit infantry with this dead on and they soak 3-4 hits. Really Dice? Really? 1 is death, you are in pieces. I don't understand how a soldier can soak as many 20mm shells as .45mm or any other small arms gun.

God damn, I'll bend the knee to blast damage taking 3-4, but I think if I hit that SoB dead on they should be 1 MAYBE 2 hits. So stupidly frustrating otherwise atm.

I think it's because of balance. So, 3-4 hit to infantry is ... ok. BUT, I want DICE to increase the splash area as the 20mm should be used to against infantries.
  • smokintom214
    1794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah, anymore honestly would be op... The valentine AA is a two hit and wrecks players.. the difference is that the 20mm fires alot faster with a longer cool down.. the V-AA fires alot slower, 10 shots per overheat and no backup gun... 20mm could potentially have a very very slight buff to the damage Mechanics but anything higher would be on the verge of being OP and promote objective camping which is what dice intends to deny ace tankers
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The 20mm having longer TTK than the MG is really crazy, I don’t know why the direct impact damage from the 20mm autocannons are so low, I’ve actually been considering moving back to the standard 37mm or whatever and use them as a sniper.
  • smokintom214
    1794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The 20mm having longer TTK than the MG is really crazy, I don’t know why the direct impact damage from the 20mm autocannons are so low, I’ve actually been considering moving back to the standard 37mm or whatever and use them as a sniper.

I prefer to use the 20mm cannon to harrass and suppress rather than getting kills. 20mm however does to fair damage to armored for harrassing tanks on critical damage points..
  • MinZhuZhongGuo
    410 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You know, G-6's Minengeschoss, which is basically a special explosive 20mm round, doesn't explode and only deals 16 damage per shot to infantry....
  • Gen_Ch0pper
    70 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The 20mm cannon is pathetic. The regular machine gun is a lot more effective at range, which is crazy
  • gibonez
    296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    20mm and valentine tank should absolutely shred infantry and light vehicle transports and of course planes.

They should deal 0 damage to tanks frontal armor however.
  • Aircool_212
    764 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yes, it's rubbish. I really wanted to like the Light Armour vehicles, but you're given a choice between the pointless autocannon (poor against everything) or an upgraded light anti-armour gun which is even worse against infantry and not great against armour compared to the larger tanks.

So once you hit upgrade level 3, you've only got two choices, both of which make your tank far less effective against infantry. You could always just upgrade to level 2, but that's just poor design.

I was really looking forward to the autocannon, but the reality is, the primary MG is a far more effective anti-infantry weapon. I then thought about using AP shells with the autocannon, but they are severly limited and somewhat underwhelming.

Bottom Line: No point in upgrading the light armour beyond level 2 as the primary MG is a better anti infantry weapon.
  • R1ckyDaMan19
    476 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    I enjoy using the light tanks with the 22mm at the moment, yeah it is annoying when you just miss out on that last hit with it and the infantry guy has got in cover but when you catch someone nicely they are like a deer in headlights most of the time.

Would not complain at a bit more splash though, the armor is very weak once you get more than 1 assault gunning for you if you can't locate them.
  • disposalist
    8504 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Balance beats realism, but vehicles are too weak in BF5. It's almost like their lead designers are infantry competitive types...

In BF4 people would complain about 50cal guns needing several hits, but at least the main guns had good splash damage.
  • Major_Pungspark
    1422 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Like the light tanks are weak, so that is why it feels like everyone uses them, to infantry farm.
  • R1ckyDaMan19
    476 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Like the light tanks are weak, so that is why it feels like everyone uses them, to infantry farm.

It takes some decent accuracy to get kills with the 22mm due to the lack of splash damage, the light tanks have very weak armor and are very easily disabled, apart from splash damage I would agree in conquest anyway the light tanks are probably the most balanced.

To be fair more people use AA to farm infantry more than the light tanks, you still need to take risks with the light tank that you do not need to take with the AA, the light tanks see more use because of how weak most of the other tanks are but it is a case of making the other tanks stronger than nerfing the light tanks.
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    You know, G-6's Minengeschoss, which is basically a special explosive 20mm round, doesn't explode and only deals 16 damage per shot to infantry....

It’s actually only 10 blast damage and 13.5 impact damage, whereas the standard 131 20mm does 30 impact damage, as does a British Hispano 20mm.
  • XEN_wunderwaffle
    284 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    MG is generally better against troops in the open, but I like 20mm because it's better on targets behind cover.

Splash next to that rock for 4-5 rounds is faster than firing 2-3 slow shots from the normal cannon.
  • BSPlissken
    119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm happy to see people at least understand my point.

IMO, Direct hits should do more dmg so there is a point to using the 20mm vs inf vs the mmg. Don't get me wrong, I still use it all the time, but its stupid that my tank can take 3 panzerfausts but an inf can take 4 20mm. lol