Infantry too powerful against tanks

Comments

• WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think its got to do with bad tankers. Tank shouldn't be moving up without the support of Infantry. If you allow infantry to move and fun of your tank and you give them fire support you can tear up another team as thier assaults can't rush you.

There are a few maps that aren't great for tanks like urban maps but thats realistic as urban environments were death traps for tanks and needed a lot of infantry support.

The main guns splash is a little weak. Though for game balance I understand. Maybe add a knock down effect... so if they rush you you can knock them down with the concussion of the blast but not instant kill unless directly hit.

Most of the feedback in this thread and others still holds with infantry support, and has usually already factored in infantry support. There are some of the most competent and experienced tankers out there actively present in these discussions, it's not really a matter of bad tanking, however I am sure there are cases in which that assumption is correct.
  • BAITness
    142 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Tanks in every battlefield game until now have been an easymode button. The splash damage was enough to destroy people around cover, a careless tank would still not be destroyed if they got themselves into a bad position, and then DICE added repairing from inside the tank so there was never any actual risk for a tank player that did not push objectives.

The tanks in BFV are still ridiculously powerful, they just require more skill than they did before. Tankers now have to be more accurate and can't enter dangerous areas without worrying about the damage they may take - and those are both really really good changes. It also seems like maps were designed to prevent the old BF1/4 standard of tanks camping on a hill in the middle of nowhere and acting as artillery, but we will need to see more maps to see if that is just a happy coincidence or deliberate.

I know a lot of tank only players are upset, but they are still the most powerful "unit" in the game by an enormous margin - and besides, clicking a different button when you spawn should not mean you do not need to aim or that you should be borderline invincible.
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BAITness wrote: »
    Tanks in every battlefield game until now have been an easymode button. The splash damage was enough to destroy people around cover, a careless tank would still not be destroyed if they got themselves into a bad position, and then DICE added repairing from inside the tank so there was never any actual risk for a tank player that did not push objectives.

The tanks in BFV are still ridiculously powerful, they just require more skill than they did before. Tankers now have to be more accurate and can't enter dangerous areas without worrying about the damage they may take - and those are both really really good changes. It also seems like maps were designed to prevent the old BF1/4 standard of tanks camping on a hill in the middle of nowhere and acting as artillery, but we will need to see more maps to see if that is just a happy coincidence or deliberate.

I know a lot of tank only players are upset, but they are still the most powerful "unit" in the game by an enormous margin - and besides, clicking a different button when you spawn should not mean you do not need to aim or that you should be borderline invincible.

Not really, they’re only powerful in breakthrough/ operations, like one or two maps in conquest if you’re really competent and experienced (Aérodrome being the best).

I think it is exagération of the month to say they’re ridiculously powerful when the general consensus is they’re blatantly underpowered, and this is not to say that you can’t do well in them, of course you can do well in them.

They’ve basically put people off of PTFOing and encouraged a brain dead infantry farming camping meta, I don’t really see how that’s a great change.
  • tsvictor
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think the reason should be the tank is too week. Their canon can't even blow off a man behind the wall, and the splash power is also a joke too.
  • Dral13
    350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It has always been this easy to take out a tank fast with mines or c4/dynamite. Idk what game people have been playing for the past 10+ years.
  • fakemon64
    898 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Dral13 wrote: »
    It has always been this easy to take out a tank fast with mines or c4/dynamite. Idk what game people have been playing for the past 10+ years.

The real problem is that the maps are getting smaller, infantry is getting faster, and tanks are getting slower.
  • Dral13
    350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    fakemon64 wrote: »

The real problem is that the maps are getting smaller, infantry is getting faster, and tanks are getting slower.

That is possible.
  • BAITness
    142 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018

Not really, they’re only powerful in breakthrough/ operations, like one or two maps in conquest if you’re really competent and experienced (Aérodrome being the best).

I think it is exagération of the month to say they’re ridiculously powerful when the general consensus is they’re blatantly underpowered, and this is not to say that you can’t do well in them, of course you can do well in them.

They’ve basically put people off of PTFOing and encouraged a brain dead infantry farming camping meta, I don’t really see how that’s a great change.

You are claiming they are weak but I cannot think of a single other unit in the game as strong as the tanks. One player in a tank is superior to one player as anything else. You are arguing that they should be even stronger. Tanks are only slightly less effective than the squad requisition bonuses a group of four players have to earn and save up for over an entire match - and the tank only requires clicking a different button when you spawn.

A tank now needs to play as a teammate rather than as a small army unto themselves. They need someone with them to protect their flanks and to speed up repairs. This added teamwork is a good thing, a tank should not be able to solo kill multiple players who gang up on it without having teammates of their own.
  • JackL1vely
    202 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

You are claiming they are weak but I cannot think of a single other unit in the game as strong as the tanks. One player in a tank is superior to one player as anything else. You are arguing that they should be even stronger. Tanks are only slightly less effective than the squad requisition bonuses a group of four players have to earn and save up for over an entire match - and the tank only requires clicking a different button when you spawn.

A tank now needs to play as a teammate rather than as a small army unto themselves. They need someone with them to protect their flanks and to speed up repairs. This added teamwork is a good thing, a tank should not be able to solo kill multiple players who gang up on it without having teammates of their own.

Sounds like you're willfully ignoring all of the evidence as to why tanks are weak at the moment... there's a plethora of it to be sure.

Not every soldier can spawn a tank, and once it's gone, you need to wait a long time for another. Yet you can simply run over some land mines and instadeath... and Assault players have it too easy in BFV.
  • Hawxxeye
    5366 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018

Turret speed, turret angles, tank shot blast radius, tank rate of fire, tank speed, infantry speed, infantry visibility
    All these are worse for the tank in BFV
  • BAITness
    JackL1vely wrote: »

Sounds like you're willfully ignoring all of the evidence as to why tanks are weak at the moment... there's a plethora of it to be sure.

Not every soldier can spawn a tank, and once it's gone, you need to wait a long time for another. Yet you can simply run over some land mines and instadeath... and Assault players have it too easy in BFV.

You aren't showing me any evidence. I am not even sure you disagree with what I said - what unit do you think is stronger in the game than the tank? Also if your problem is landmines... I mean that hasn't changed at all. You could always drive over a bunch of landmines and get blown up. The only difference is the landmines in BFV are freaking huge and easier to spot.

The things I see people complaining about are that tank splash damage is down, and that infantry can do more damage to them. These are both great things. Tank players now need to use aim and teamwork, just like everyone else. They actually have to think about their positioning which is something they never had to do in earlier titles. They still have an enormous advantage over every other unit in the game.
  • MBT_Layzan
    1438 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018

Easymode button?

Where were you in bf2 when jet bombers lay waste to entire flag locations and attack choppers had guided one hit kill missiles?

Or how about BC2 with the circle strafing attack choppers which wreaked havoc on entire home bases and racked up massive kill streaks. They could ruin armour in second. They were god mode period.

Vietnam gave some relief from this but the huey still could ruin most tanks esp the US one oh and the whole map was a tnt fest against armour with tress and foliage everywhere.

2142, remember the walkers in that game? The hover attack jet? Stealth cloaked snipers? One hit kill on the rear of the tanks with infantry AT launchers.

1943, attack planes much? At least you could hide due to no 3d map. Good luck against a pro pilot though.

Bf3, pro jets god mode +1, attack choppers, the birth of c4 ramming.

Bf4, c4 ramming in full force, scout choppers, attack choppers, jets, ac130, increased squad spawn. Being targeted so you are perminatly shown on the map and highlighted.

Bf1, and this game have never been easier to farm infantry kills, you just have to camp like a.......... and farm. It's boring, it requires no skill, and the tank fights are just as limited because all you can do is exchange blows and you can hit stuff with ease from massive range.

Don't camp and it's a total flip, the tanks become steel coffins.
  • Major_Pungspark
    1422 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    MBT_Layzan wrote: »

Easymode button?

Where were you in bf2 when jet bombers lay waste to entire flag locations and attack choppers had guided one hit kill missiles?

Or how about BC2 with the circle strafing attack choppers which wreaked havoc on entire home bases and racked up massive kill streaks. They could ruin armour in second. They were god mode period.

Vietnam gave some relief from this but the huey still could ruin most tanks esp the US one oh and the whole map was a tnt fest against armour with tress and foliage everywhere.

2142, remember the walkers in that game? The hover attack jet? Stealth cloaked snipers? One hit kill on the rear of the tanks with infantry AT launchers.

1943, attack planes much? At least you could hide due to no 3d map. Good luck against a pro pilot though.

Bf4, c4 ramming in full force, scout choppers, attack choppers, jets, ac130, increased squad spawn. Being targeted so you are perminatly shown on the map and highlighted.

Bf1, and this game have never been easier to farm infantry kills, you just have to camp like a.......... and farm. It's boring, it requires no skill, and the tank fights are just as limited because all you can do is exchange blows and you can hit stuff with ease from massive range.

You know that in probably everything you mentioned, with the exeption of c4 ramming, a tactic that was more like suicide, everything was way worse for infantry because being able to take a lot of hits or dying instantly is kind of different.

• WinterWarhurst
    edited December 2018

That is a complete false equivalence. In my platoon we have the top three players by objective score, in fact I would place a wager that if you took the top 100 infantry players in our platoon, only a couple of them would have stronger performances in a tank in terms of kills, game score, and even for many of them K/D.

Your argument really isn’t as intelligent as you believe it to be.

If we are talking in terms of potential, I am still convinced the best infantry in the world will have more game impact and even higher kill counts, and certainly score, than the best tankers, with perhaps Aerodrome conquest being an exception in a Valentine AA tank.

Even were your point an intelligent one, it is still a false equivalence because tanks have FAR fewer spawns, and FAR longer spawn timers, and are typically not used by the strongest players in the server, and besides these facts, they are in relative terms weaker than ever at PTFOing, which is the entire point of Battlefield, yet brain dead farming and camping is encouraged almost more than ever before.

A tank has always had to play as a teammate to maximise its effectiveness, although actually utilising infantry support effectively is now harder than ever. I have plenty of infantry that love front gunning and repairing for me but even they get bored and bail whenever I have to trudge the heavy all the way back to spawn bevause it’s the only resupply dépôt built on the map, and we can’t capture the other because we’re on low ammo and it’s under enemy hands, nah they jump out to go PTFO because that’s what I should be doing!

I’m sorry, but if it makes you happy how weak and relatively ineffective tanks are, even in the most capable hands (besides a couple of maps and tanks/ upgrade paths) then so be it, you’re entitled to that joy, but it frustrates and upsets a lot of people who purchase this game predominately to play something that makes Battlefield special in the FPS world, which is vehicle gameplay.

I’m sorry, but you have little respect for that fact, instead you have this self-righteous position that you feel the need to impose on us. Please actually consider the nuances of our positions and arguments first before posting.
  • MBT_Layzan
    1438 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Easymode button?

You know that in probably everything you mentioned, with the exeption of c4 ramming, a tactic that was more like suicide, everything was way worse for infantry because being able to take a lot of hits or dying instantly is kind of different.

With regards to tanks being an easymode button na.....

Tanks were prime targets for the above with perhaps the expection of the scout choppers. Infantry in fact were mostly immune to things like jets in games like bf3 for example. They could hide in cover/buildings. Decent infantry could solo tanks back then too.

Now it's just a zerg rush against camp hard tanks. If the tanks didn't have that MG outside the auto cannon ones, then they wouldn't even pull off that with any kind of practicle use.
  • WinterWarhurst
    G

Easymode button?

Tanks were prime targets for the above with perhaps the expection of the scout choppers. Infantry in fact were mostly immune to things like jets in games like bf3 for example. They could hide in cover/buildings. Decent infantry could solo tanks back then too.

Now it's just a zerg rush against camp hard tanks. If the tanks didn't have that MG outside the auto cannon ones, then they wouldn't even pull off that with any kind of practicle use.

Truth is, nearly every single time someone’s called tanks ‘easy mode’ and I’ve done my research, they have truly trash tank stats.
  • MBT_Layzan
    G

Easymode button?

Truth is, nearly every single time someone’s called tanks ‘easy mode’ and I’ve done my research, they have truly trash tank stats.

I think you are right mate.
  • Dral13
    G

Easymode button?

I think you are right mate.

I think there is hyperbole on both sides, the scary thing is what the devs do about it. Pretty much lost all faith in the way things have been handled up to this point.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3320 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Tanks are Trash. End of discussion. Assaults are OP. End of Discussion.

For Tanks to be viable Systemic Damage needs removed. Speed increase and Nerfs to Assaults.

You can solo a Tank at a laughably easy level. It takes no effort from the player.

Biggest problem with Tanks is the Maps. Every map has to much unstable turf and combine that with the weird Tank physics it's a recipe for disaster.

The Maps have clearly been designed with Infantry first then they just through in Tanks to say Hey Guys it's Battlefield we have Tanks.

DICE have designed the Tanks almost at a Simulation level but the Infantry gameplay around it is to Casual and it doesn't mix well. Infantry can run as fast as a light Tank with Dynamite, Panzerfausts and weapons.

DICE have designed BFV as Infantry only because that's what the You Tube Overlords like. Period.

• Dral13
    Tanks are Trash. End of discussion. Assaults are OP. End of Discussion.

For Tanks to be viable Systemic Damage needs removed. Speed increase and Nerfs to Assaults.

You can solo a Tank at a laughably easy level. It takes no effort from the player.

Biggest problem with Tanks is the Maps. Every map has to much unstable turf and combine that with the weird Tank physics it's a recipe for disaster.

The Maps have clearly been designed with Infantry first then they just through in Tanks to say Hey Guys it's Battlefield we have Tanks.

DICE have designed the Tanks almost at a Simulation level but the Infantry gameplay around it is to Casual and it doesn't mix well. Infantry can run as fast as a light Tank with Dynamite, Panzerfausts and weapons.

DICE have designed BFV as Infantry only because that's what the You Tube Overlords like. Period.

So what’s with all the people on the leaderboard who are crushing it with tanks? Assuming they haven’t yet surpassed planes yet but they might with the plane nerfs.

Tanks have some flaws and assaut is the most popular class but don’t blow things out of proportion.