Medic SMGs a little underrated

Comments

• Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I've only really used the MP40 in the class in a serious manner (I've done all of it's Mastery assignments). It's pretty awful at close range unless your opponent isn't looking at you, but for some silly reason, it's half-decent as a mid-range tap-firing weapon. Yes, it takes a fair few bullets, but it's accurate enough to get the job done in surprising situations. Still, I constantly lose to LMGs and SLRs at close range, and don't even get me started on shotguns.

I'm going to give the Suomi another go, and properly upgrade the Thompson, because the MP40 isn't great overall. The only reason I stuck with it was for the gold challenges, and the fact that coins are so rare that I didn't have much of a choice but to stick with the one fully upgraded SMG I already have, even if it sucks.
  • ProLegion_exor
    3541 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    To people saying MP28 is fine, let's compare it with it's direct competitor of the assault class, the SturmGewehr 1-5:
    • Sturm gewehr 1-5 has the exact same RoF as the MP28: 670 RPM.
    • SG1-5 has 27% less HORIZONTAL recoil which is the uncontrollable recoil. Makes an EXTREME difference in how the weapon handles.
    • SG1-5 has no vertical recoil while the the MP28 has 0.05. Even tho it's small, just having vertical recoil vs not having any is a huge difference.
    • SG1-5 has 44% faster bullet velocity
    • While the MP28 has: 4BTK for 0 to 10m, 5BTK for 11 to 30m, 6BTK for 31 to 50m, 7BTK for 51 to 75m and then 8BTK past 75m;
      the SG1-5 has : 4BTK for 0 to 10m, 5BTK for 11 to 50m, 6BTK past 50m.

Sure looks balanced! /s

It's fine. You give me an MP28 and smoke and I'll beat a 1-5 user 9/10 times. 1-5 can get close (not there, but close) in CQB performance by taking only left side specs, but then it gets dumpstered by other, more optimally specced AR's/LMGs at midrange fights, so probably not a good idea.

StG 1-5 is my most used weapon, I wish you luck with your MP28. You need it..

@VindictiVagabond Vertical recoil of 0 on 1-5? Absolutly not. My guess would be 0.6 naked and 0.45 upgraded with a FSM of 1.5-1.7.
  • naitch44
    666 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The 1-5 is an absolute beast.
  • xx_Dante2k_xx
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    naitch44 wrote: »
    The 1-5 is an absolute beast.

For sure..

Talking of Smg's if it wasn't for the stats chart etc I would have agreed with OP as I have been doing pretty darn well with the Sten, EMP and MP28. I have gold plated those guns and I certainly enjoyed my time using them, my favourite either being the Sten or EMP.
    The MP28 is probably the best of the three imo but I find sometimes you can get a random up, right recoil that can distract you at medium range engagements.
    I'm on to the Soumi and MP34 now, the Soumi is awesome up close and a lot of fun to use but the MP34 is my least favourite smg so far.

Overall I think they need a buff but i can certainly top leader boards with them, but I think it's more to do with movement speed and reaction times than the gun itself, give me the 1-5 and I would probably do even better.

Someone mentioned not topping the leader boards with Recon. I have had some pretty high score leader board topping stats with the Enfield and RSC so it's possible. It's just that the Assault and Support classes are so much better atm, and with more gun variety.
  • VindictiV_V
    1347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    To people saying MP28 is fine, let's compare it with it's direct competitor of the assault class, the SturmGewehr 1-5:
    • SG1-5 has 27% less HORIZONTAL recoil which is the uncontrollable recoil. Makes an EXTREME difference in how the weapon handles.
    • SG1-5 has no vertical recoil while the the MP28 has 0.05. Even tho it's small, just having vertical recoil vs not having any is a huge difference.
    • While the MP28 has: 4BTK for 0 to 10m, 5BTK for 11 to 30m, 6BTK for 31 to 50m, 7BTK for 51 to 75m and then 8BTK past 75m;

Sure looks balanced! /s

It's fine. You give me an MP28 and smoke and I'll beat a 1-5 user 9/10 times. 1-5 can get close (not there, but close) in CQB performance by taking only left side specs, but then it gets dumpstered by other, more optimally specced AR's/LMGs at midrange fights, so probably not a good idea.

@VindictiVagabond Vertical recoil of 0 on 1-5? Absolutly not. My guess would be 0.6 naked and 0.45 upgraded with a FSM of 1.5-1.7.

Those are the stats, when I talk about recoil, I actually mean "recoil increase per shot" and it is indeed 0 for the SG1-5. So my guess is, it's upward recoil stays the same (stays equal to the first shot recoil) so it just never increases and stays the same between each shot that you shoot once or empty your mag.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    775 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm someone who usually picks his fights more often than I let fights pick me and so I usually end up doing well with the guns. They're great for all the reasons mentioned; not saying that they couldn't stand to use some more versatility to their kit to better deal with a larger scope of ranges but they're really good guns.

What would be your go to SMG's for each of the maps @BaronVonGoon

I've only started using medic. I was waiting for the eventual buff to come but someone recommend the Sten and MP40 and I found both to be excellent on Devestation conquest.

MP40, Suomi and Tommy. Medic is my favorite class.
  • MrClev3r
    20 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Medics do need a mid-range option, either that or DICE needs to add more CQB oriented maps. As it stands the game modes that most new players will try are not ideal maps for Medics to survive at all since the majority of combat takes place either at range, in open space, or most likely both. The majority of the maps that are designed and used for Conquest and Grand Operations are very large and very open with CQB points taking place close to capture points in the form of buildings. But even then, the building will inevitable get disintegrated which makes engaging an enemy at range much more likely since the structure is essentially gone.

Also with the addition of supply depots and any half-competent medic on a team, other classes have plenty of resources to heal while in the field, so I'm not sure the whole "infinite healing resource" claim is as valid as previous additions, especially with healing being a longer HoT effect. Even the medic's strongest support ability is woefully under-effective with the revive animation leaving a medic exposed, even with smoke, and makes them an easy target for the enemy team. This problem is particularly acute in game modes such as Rush where tickets are an important resource and the heaviest combat takes place in areas where there are a lot of enemies present to defend their objective; even with smoke, the animation get's me killed when I'm trying to revive but I've got 2+ MG42s trained on the smoke, strafing until they find a hit marker and then zero in.

This problem is further exacerbated by the changes to spotting, so now a medic who knows they can't win an engagement can no longer at least point his squad to the danger that he/she sees; I know they added the marker, but it isn't accurate, doesn't last any more than a couple of seconds, and can be easy to accidentally use when trying to communicate via the in-game RB/R1 control. I'm not saying that the mechanics didn't need to be changed, it did, but now I'm stuck with an SMG with an enemy 15-25 meters away, and I can't even spot unless I and the rest of my squad have VoIP capabilities. Furthermore , the only way I can spot is to suppress/hit them in which case if they are Support/Assault/Recon, they have the better equipment to drop me at range.

I'm not saying that Medic's should be as effective combat wise as the other 3 classes, they shouldn't; but they should at least have the ability to defend themselves well enough to cause enough damage to make an enemy player seek cover and heal or drop an already weakened enemy player; especially with the map designs as they are. K/D ratio isn't/shouldn't be important to a medic, but dang it if it doesn't make it hard to continue to play the class if one continuously dies and is able to revive squadmates (albeit it being at a slower rate) as another class. Support has the ability to suppress (and thus spot) and hold an objective very well, Recon has the ability to spot (which is a great move and helps give them a way to solidly contribute to any squad), Assault are vehicle killers and are dangerous at almost any range (but especially at 15-30 meters). Medics are supposed to be life savers... But that's hard to do if I can't defend myself, spot an enemy, or effectively revive my teammates. I'm not saying that medics should be able to spot (we have two classes that can already do that), nor am I suggesting that medics should be able to best the Assault class at medium range; but it would be nice to be able to do enough damage at range to either force an enemy player to seek cover and heal, or finish off an already wounded player at range with good aim. Sorry for the rant, it's just hard to play a class I enjoy playing when I can't do my job effectively and pull my own weight in battle.
  • ProLegion_exor
    3541 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Sure looks balanced! /s

Those are the stats, when I talk about recoil, I actually mean "recoil increase per shot" and it is indeed 0 for the SG1-5. So my guess is, it's upward recoil stays the same (stays equal to the first shot recoil) so it just never increases and stays the same between each shot that you shoot once or empty your mag.

Ok cool. Increase and recoil are two different values. The 0 makes it consistant over range, thnaks for the explenation. Because it’s recoil and fsm didnt make sens first.
  • Loqtrall
    12020 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I like the Mp40 and Sten, but I haven't enjoyed using any other smgs to rank 10, before or after upgrading. The faster RoF cqb-centric smgs are way too situational to use in larger game modes, and some of them have very odd recoil patterns when ads even with recoil specialization selected.

The Mp40 is golden, though. It's exactly what I wanted it to be.
  • wiazabi
    480 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Even if they made close combat maps why would you play medic over assault / Support when you still have the ttk advantage on ars and support have shotguns and well lmg mmg, assault also have piat / panzer + TNT / Rifle nade.

If the best option for playing medic is to loot a weapon from support / assault then the class design is not very good.
  • VOLBANKER
    880 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I've played one crappy game after another the past week or so as medic.
    Usually I ended up in the bottom 5 of my team's scoreboard.
    Just now I switched to Support and played a round using KE7.
    I came in #2 on my team with K/D 2 (26-13) and was Best Support.
    And here I've been thinking (and saying) that I suck at this game....!
  • VindictiV_V
    1347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    I like the Mp40 and Sten, but I haven't enjoyed using any other smgs to rank 10, before or after upgrading. The faster RoF cqb-centric smgs are way too situational to use in larger game modes, and some of them have very odd recoil patterns when ads even with recoil specialization selected.

I get the exact opposite. I suck with low RPM SMGs as whenever I engage somebody (even if I'm dead on accurate) and he knows me position he just drops me (obviously, even in CQC). On the other hand, if I start shooting at somebody with my thompson (always trying to engage at 15m or less), he drops before he has a chance to do much to me unless he's using a shotgun or M1907. So I was wondering, how do you spec your MP40, which sight to you use and do you play in a particular manner like only engage people that don't know your position or don't see you?
  • Loqtrall
    12020 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I get the exact opposite. I suck with low RPM SMGs as whenever I engage somebody (even if I'm dead on accurate) and he knows me position he just drops me (obviously, even in CQC). On the other hand, if I start shooting at somebody with my thompson (always trying to engage at 15m or less), he drops before he has a chance to do much to me unless he's using a shotgun or M1907. So I was wondering, how do you spec your MP40, which sight to you use and do you play in a particular manner like only engage people that don't know your position or don't see you?

I spec my Mp40 for better recoil control and run it with the golden iron sight (the one without a ring), and mostly aim for headshots as a means to compete. I know there are guns that are just downright better, but I do fine with it in cqb while also allowing me to reach out to people at considerable distances for an smg. I don't like to tout around my own stats but I try to maintain good accuracy. I just play more carefully as a Medic, I use smoke to manuever and don't push gunfights that I know I can't win but can freely avoid, usually choosing to flank instead.
  • BaronVonGoon
    6665 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I spec my Mp40 for better recoil control and run it with the golden iron sight .

Why do run it with the gold iron sights?
  • Loqtrall

I spec my Mp40 for better recoil control and run it with the golden iron sight .

Because I have weapon dof turned off and the blatant ring around the sights while ads is obstructive imo. The golden iron sight is the only one without a ring, and I prefer irons.
  • bran1986
    5601 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I do alright with the MP40 but I have the same experience as you. I will get 3 or 4 rounds into someone and then I just insta melt. Yet when I use the Thompson, I can at least him them hard and fast enough where they don't have time to react. With the slower firing smgs I just seem to **** them off and alret them of my location. It doesn't feel like the slower firing smgs really gain anything. Anything past 20-25 meters your hit rate drops off a cliff, but at the cost of severely being outgunned inside 10-15 meters. So you should just run the fast firing smgs regardless of map size really, since the maps that would work the best with the slower firing smgs work better with the faster firing smgs. Just my feelings anyway lol.
  • BaronVonGoon
    6665 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Because I have weapon dof turned off and the blatant ring around the sights while ads is obstructive imo. The golden iron sight is the only one without a ring, and I prefer irons.

I see. I tend to run with golden iron sights whenever available because they don't blend against backgrounds like grey/black irons do on occasion.
  • Jonny_ChaosMCR
    1350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I love medic I just think it's too 'samey'. Pretty much all weapons the same damage. Boring. Needs more variety.
  • Jonny_ChaosMCR
    1350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I have a ball playing medic on CQ maps like Devastation. The Thompson is so nasty in hipfire.

That's the map it shines on.