Instead of moaning about one or two things I thought to put together a nice little post that is essentially my feedback. I don't live on the forums or Reddit so I may cover something that has come up a million times. But since I did it for the beta I thought to do it for the game after launch but during a quiet period. Each item is generally to the point with some context. I don't care too much if you agree or not as this is mainly for Dice. Feel free to discuss items in the list, etc, just don't flame.
Generally, I like BF5, certainly over BF1. I feel that BF5 is what BF1 should have been but because of the issues around game mechanics Dice had to create BF5 asap. There are class balance problems, for example the medic class isn't that great. You can do something but you're always going to lose (most of the time anyway) at short to medium range.
I do like the game mechanics except for a couple of things (noted below).
PS. glad the TTK changes were reverted Client Issues
- random client crashes – this one is painful as there is no warning or no errors after the crash. This is a rare problem but is very frustrating
- random in-game stuttering – this is more of a half a second freeze from time to time. I am not sure what is causing the problem. I believe it is a RAM issue of some kind with Windows 10
- exiting a game takes ages to load – when exiting a game, of let’s say Conquest, you go to quit the round then you’re greeted with a loading screen that is loading the menu for 20-30 seconds. All I want to do is get back to the main menu, not wait for a menu to load. Likewise, when starting the game, it takes plenty of time for the client to load the menu
- ‘spawn location no longer exists’ error – this issue occurs once every one to two games and may occur once or twice during a game. When you are selecting where to spawn the error can appear. When it does you cannot spawn on that location until you have selected another spawn location. You can then select the original spawn location and spawn. This issue can occur when spawning on to players or at flags in Conquest
- automatic server finder isn’t optimised – I’ve not got anything to back this up but, from my experience, the automatic server finder does a good of a job as it can but always seems to put me into servers that are a little further away. The latency is <40 but when I play on a server with about 20ms when compared to a server with 11ms I can feel the netcode kick in. I've stopped using matchmaking and I use the server browser to ensure that I am on a server that is close to me
- when customising your weapon(s) or in the weapon menu before a game starts, when the game does start it kicks you out of the weapon menu, bringing you back to the Deployment Overview screen. This is very frustrating as I am in the middle of customising my weapon(s) then the menu disappears. I then have to go back through the menus to where I was. I understand my game is starting but I can’t always change my customisations for that game/squad in time
- when joining a game through server browser, the game starts to load but then I end up at the server browser screen. If I go back into the same game it then loads. It seems to do this more often when you’re queueing for a game then you select and join another server
- netcode - this is a big one and has been covered many times. I can really tell there are netcode issues when I go onto a server that has 22ms when compared to a server with 11ms
- inefficient user interface
- unable to add specializations in-game – this is a bit of an odd one. I don’t understand why, at the start of a round, you can add or modify your specializations on weapons. As you play the round, unlocking specializations for a weapon, you can’t apply it. You have to wait until the end of the current round
- can’t apply assignments in-game – there is currently no way (that I can see) which will allow you to assign assignments in-game. This is frustrating as when you complete your assignments you will end up requiring to come out of your current game, go back to the main menu go into the assignments menu and apply an assignment
- reporting players is painful – the UI does not allow you to easily report or even view a profile of another player. There are 3 problems with reporting a player, 1) you HAVE to have the Origin Overlay turned on, 2) it is not intuitive, 3) you can’t do it in-game, you have to wait for the round to be over. For point 1, this is silly as the functionality of viewing profiles should be built into the game itself, just in case the overlay is turned off. For some streaming applications you have to turn it off
- medic class sucks - nothing more to say other than every other class is superior
- unable to launch JB2/V1 – the issue may be when multiple players on the same team are launching the same vehicle. The binoculars may work and you may get the reticule but nothing launches. It also seems to bug-out the JB2/V1 bomb when you try to select it, you can’t launch it and/or your hands glitch over the screen so you can’t see where you are wanting to launch the bomb
- sounds not being in the right place – the main issue I have is where sounds are not being projected in the right place or, sounds aren’t sounding at all or until the player is right next to me. This issue is acknowledged as a footsteps problem but, from my experience, it is the majority of sounds that come from players moving or shooting around the map. BF5 has a bit of a problem of overlaying/projecting the correct sound at the correct volume level
- trying to throw frag grenades away does not always work – when in a panic or rush to get a grenade away from you I can never find a good, consistent way to throw it away from me. I always wondered why players would run away from them rather than throwing them away
- players that are moving feel as though they get an advantage – lets say if I am prone and waiting for an enemy to come around a corner to where I will shoot them, in a firefighting situation it feels as though I die before I even get to react, even though I know the player that has killed me is right in front of me
- tank sounds are stupidly loud, making it difficult to hear other sounds near you. This issue fits into the general sound issue noted above
- scouts need something like the Gewehr 43 – I feel as though, with scouts, you can only play them one way, that is to camp. I have been trying to PTO with scout and it somewhat works but it depends on other team mates/how good my team is. I wish there was a self-loading rifle that fired faster than 200 rounds a minute. It would allow scouts to be more aggressive. This is something I miss from BF1
- rent a server – the great thing about BF is renting your own server. This allows players to set up and tweak servers to how they see fit. This means you can get some interesting servers/maps/modes. At the minute, since everything is controlled by Dice, you get the same map rotation which is boring. Because of this I now end up leaving servers more than what I previously did in BF1
- conquest assault on Hamada – get rid of it. During the Conquest map cycle the only map that has Conquest Assault is Hamada. Why? Conquest Assault is not the game mode that I want to play.
- add additional columns/info to server browser – it would be good to understand how much time or tickets are left or, how long the current game has been running for. This would allow players to understand if a round is almost finishing. There is nothing worse than joining a game when it is about to finish then, going onto a map you don’t like
- going from the Deploy Overview to the Player Overview so you can see if you want to spawn on them – I am not sure why you can go from Player Overview, when you die, to Deploy Overview but not back again
- testing – at the moment Dice are not set up for testing, they never have. For Battlefield 1 there was a separate client that was required to be installed to allow you to test the latest and greatest changes. To be able to test the latest changes there needs to be only one client. With the way that Dice have migrated client-side actions to server-side actions, it feels as though Dice could incorporate testing into one client but, there has been little to no movement on this
- better way to deal with cheaters (aimbots, 1 shot kills, etc) – Dice have never had a good way of dealing with those that choose to cheat. Battlefield 5 was set to have some automated AI that could detect if a player is cheating based on where they are, where the player they killed is, how they killed them, etc. But so far nothing appears to have been implemented or it is not active in banning/kicking players. I've only come across a few players that are cheating so it is not that much of a problem within Europe
- competitive gameplay - I would like to see a matchmaking ranking system that queues you up with players around your skill level. I understand it is difficult and BF is not set up to do this sort of thing, and has never done it before. Game modes would either need to change or would need to adapt to lower the player count to do such a thing
- hardcore game modes - I'd like to see different servers that give you a different set of rules. Perhaps have a mode that gets rid of your minimap/most of the UI that gives you info and you need to rely on working with your team
- iterative updates - I'd like to see more iterative updates to squash bugs, etc rather than pushing out a large update. There are still ongoing bugs from day 0 and I get it is the holidays and some of the issues will take time but things feel a little too slow. Let me give an example. The Company Coin issue whereby if you get to level 50 you stop accruing it. Dice have stated that they will fix the accrual issue and also give players coin that they have missed out on. So far we've not seen either of these. It would be great if the issue was fixed first to start accruing coin again and to then workout how much coin to give to each player. It feels as though Dice is trying to solve both at the same time but you'll need to fix one before the other anyway. Just be smarter about bugs/issues and how to fix them
Someone is going to ask for this.
- AMD Ryzen 7 1800X @ 3.9GHz
- 16GB RAM
- 512GB M.2 SSD
- Asus GTX 1070 Strix - out of the box OC