It's not just Battlefield.

ProAssassin2003
3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited December 2018
There is a Trend happening and I don't know if it means Gaming is hurting or it's just how it is but most games that are releasing are already sliced in half in price or huge Discounts.

Just Cause 4 just launched and I can get it right now for $44 on Best Buy.

It's not just Battlefield that has had it's prices slashed. It's happening to all games.

Comments

• OLDSKOOL1908
    169 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    To much games release in okt and november. People havd to make a choich. Fallout, rdr2, cod, battlefield,fifa. It is just to much.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    To much games release in okt and november. People havd to make a choich. Fallout, rdr2, cod, battlefield,fifa. It is just to much.

Way to much. And that's not even bad. January to May next Year is Bloated to the gills with games.

I just don't understand why developers want to release next to one another. It only hurts them in the long run.
  • OLDSKOOL1908
    169 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Way to much. And that's not even bad. January to May next Year is Bloated to the gills with games.

I just don't understand why developers want to release next to one another. It only hurts them in the long run.
    you even have EA who is stupid enough to releas Battlefield 1 an titanfall 2 in the same weeks.

• Kongo030
    615 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Because everybody wants more. In every industry nothing is ever enough. BF V would have needed another six months of open Beta at least.
  • Psycomad
    70 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    To many microtransactions in full priced games.
  • Aircool_212
    764 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It's true. Many games offer a lot more playing time these days, especially online multiplayer games. There are extreme cases where people play nothing but WoW for 12 years, but generally, most of us will spend a few weeks to a few months almost exclusively playing one game before moving onto something else and then coming back again. However, when the same game is released at the same time year after year, people will quickly become jaded with the format because it's just so similar to the game released 12 months ago.

When a whole bunch of games are released in the same window, people will generally choose just one and perhaps pick up the others in a sale. If your game turns out to be a buggy mess that's too similar to the last release, except without the 12 months of polish, bug-squashing and balancing, you're just going to go and get something else.

After the first week of Tides of War following the TTK fiasco, I finally gave up on BFV as the unlocks weren't working, TTD was still borked and a ton of other stuff yet to be addressed, I went back to Divinity: Original Sin 2 and started a new game with the updated version.

If publishers stopped making games designed around a low player churn rate and instead concentrated on quality gameplay, quality content and a solid, stable, bug-free (relatively) game engine, then they'd make money.

Fire the systems analysts and just hire some creative, skilled project managers instead.
  • SupremeAzsoul
    332 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    There is a Trend happening and I don't know if it means Gaming is hurting or it's just how it is but most games that are releasing are already sliced in half in price or huge Discounts.

It's not just Battlefield that has had it's prices slashed. It's happening to all games.

.. Battlefield: V, Fallout: 76 , Just Cause 4 And to some extent BO4.. The sales figures on those titles are WAY below expectations (shareholders expectations).

There is a reason, for example why games as Red Dead Redemption 2 still are at full price more or less.

The whole "But others do it too"-argument doesn't hold up in this case imo (and what the data shows)
  • oXGeminiXo
    355 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think that trend is goig to be more and more until we get to the mobile game situation of releasing free to play games with microtransactions. With online being norm this or subscription is the only way to survive but subscription limits player base because not everyone will want to pay monthly for something they may only casually play so microtransactions are going to take the cake. It wouldnt be bad as long as companies realize that greed will only lose them money because it is such a used model that people will just find something else. Or they just wont play. Fortnite makes billions because of the non greed model and the player has a choice to pay without it affecting their play.
  • g0merpile
    506 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018

The reason they can slash prices is they really dont have to program the whole game anymore, texture objects, even the world don't need to be programmed the way it use to be. They can be placed on the plane. This is why there are so many bugs nowadays. No brain work involved, it is copy and paste code and objects. Then let the engine render the game. This is the problem with closed bata test, the game really does not get tested by true gamers. Lazy workers, after they realize the game is really that bad, the prices drop so the refund is lessor.

How do I know this, I moded maps in 42 and UT. We can see the out come of what I am talking about. Mines floating in air, bot with no rifle, textures out of place or not seeming right. These are all lazy workers that don't want to actually do the debugging process properly.
  • OLDSKOOL1908
    oXGeminiXo wrote: »
    I think that trend is goig to be more and more until we get to the mobile game situation of releasing free to play games with microtransactions. With online being norm this or subscription is the only way to survive but subscription limits player base because not everyone will want to pay monthly for something they may only casually play so microtransactions are going to take the cake. It wouldnt be bad as long as companies realize that greed will only lose them money because it is such a used model that people will just find something else. Or they just wont play. Fortnite makes billions because of the non greed model and the player has a choice to pay without it affecting their play.

Fortnigt is a huge succes among kids. Try making a game that does better. Not gonna happen.
  • boutneus
    2454 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Erm RDR2 is so polished it makes your eyes bleed. But yeah microtransactions ofcourse, might just skip the online
  • CH1R0N83
    706 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

If publishers stopped making games designed around a low player churn rate and instead concentrated on quality gameplay, quality content and a solid, stable, bug-free (relatively) game engine, then they'd make money.

Fire the systems analysts and just hire some creative, skilled project managers instead.

Well said. The success of RDR2 is a perfect example of this. Take two are as money oriented as any other publisher but at least they understand that giving their studios enough time to make polished, quality games is going to make them more money in the long run.
  • XxCHAOS315xX
    128 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Are people really complaining about good games coming out and going on sale?
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Are people really complaining about good games coming out and going on sale?

No they criticize the ongoing development of releasing half finished, bugged Games where vital content was taken out from the original game or is inside but hidden behind a paywall.
    While the same companies want to lure costumers with some Premium or Abo modell into addiction.
    Post edited by Stahlmach on
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1416 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Triple AAA games as a whole are getting whacked. There's a lack of quality, made up for in microtransactionary practice. Sports are copy/paste relying on MUT and FUT, and 2K the same route. I still play MLB The Show 14 on my PS3, and Madden and NCAA Football 10 on 360.

Campaigns are either cinematic lazy experiences, or even gone from the fray, while at the same time, Genxers and Milennials are aging out of games that are being put out, that maybe a decade ago, were popular.

The only ones that do well, are Campaign games, many years in development, like Red Dead or GOW. The rest, kiddie crap, and the kiddies play Fortnite, as older gamers grown out of COD, and BF becoming a tryhard niche game, that caters to only a selective few players, as it does on PC.

Both systems "exclusives" are of the sci fi and fantasy genres. No war games, so if that's what you're into, you're up a creek on both systems.

That's just where gaming has become. The answer?

You need games that could reach out to a multitude. This game DOES have that potential, but new modes, like 32 player Conquest Casual, or Bot Modes, or servers with TTK cut in half, and in hindsight, a state of the art campaign like we saw in the BC days.
  • MrClev3r
    20 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    In terms of releasing games before they are ready, blame the publishers and executives, no developer wants to release a game they feel isn't quite there yet, but this time of year is huge for publishers to take advantage of the holidays and squeeze as much cash as possible from this 6-8 week period and then use the cash to fix any game-breaking bugs (hopefully). I mean, just look at FO76. It should never have been released, but it's the time of year where certain targeted demographics (13-22 or so) usually have money they are looking to spend or parents/families looking at games to buy their children/nieces/nephews/etc. Businesses are going to rush releases to cash in on this quarter, especially with larger games that have very large budgets.
  • ackers75
    2267 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It’s not a mystery why game sales are lagging when many AAA games are being released in a shocking state.
    In the uk game sales have dipped drastically over the last few years.

The industry needs to raise its game because gamers aren’t prepared to throw money at broken games anymore
  • Loqtrall
    12020 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018

.. Battlefield: V, Fallout: 76 , Just Cause 4 And to some extent BO4.. The sales figures on those titles are WAY below expectations (shareholders expectations).

There is a reason, for example why games as Red Dead Redemption 2 still are at full price more or less.

The whole "But others do it too"-argument doesn't hold up in this case imo (and what the data shows)

While RDR2s sales were successful and allow them to still charge full price for the game, Rockstar's publisher's stock price is falling like everyone else. Nearly every major AAA publishing company have stocks going in free fall, even those with highly successful and currently popular titles.

There is a negative trend happening in gaming, from an overall standpoint. It's definitely not just BF5 or other games that are flat out failures like FO76, etc.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1416 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »

While RDR2s sales were successful and allow them to still charge full price for the game, Rockstar's publisher's stock price is falling like everyone else. Nearly every major AAA publishing company have stocks going in free fall, even those with highly successful and currently popular titles.

There is a negative trend happening in gaming, from an overall standpoint. It's definitely not just BF5 or other games that are flat out failures like FO76, etc.

Well, it's true, but if you look at these matters individually, you can see why. FO 76 was apparently broke out of the gate, and many other faux pas going on there. Red Dead, many complaints of a prehistoric control system of a decade ago.

My issue there, is there's too much walking, and just to "jog" you have to spam the A button, or press in other buttons. Where as, say like here on BF, jogging is 'default", like most every other game. It's very frustrating on Red Dead, and so that may have turned some folks (like me), off. It's not to say though it's a bad game.

As far as COD, again, like BF1, great with initial sales, but plummetted player base early on, that may affect their microtransactive plans (and maybe, portion too it). And Tomb Raider a played out series on a bad calendar, as is Just Cause.
  • Kongo030
    615 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The thing is RDR2 I payed 80 Euros and played for three weeks. Was a good deal for me with astonishing graphics and you can feel the six something years they worked on this. It was hyped and highly rated. BF V could never have had a similar hype even if fully polished and released with proper maps and campaigns like Stalingrad and Omaha. Reason being pure war games have a smaller audience than Fortnite and RDR2 has. Gamers know that but CEOs don't.