Think I'm Getting Too Old for this Game

Comments

• stabbinhobo
    530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Fellow old fart here, probably the oldest to post so far if thats a qualifier. I have also played the franchise since inception. The game is seriously not fun out of the gate... had a better experience in the open beta probably due to much lower expectations and the presets on the few weapons you could use. My advise for starters.. play assault and hang back a bit. Unlock the gun specific perks and play with the configuration until you get one that works for you. Reshuffling the perk tree costs you 0. Once the assault weps are configured properly you'll start to see your entertainment value coming back. It's by far the best class inthe game ATM and probably will not change... DICE seems to have intended pretty much a 1 class game here. Stay away from the medic and scout class to start unless you like frustration... especially the medic class.

MY2C
  • DaHuntzMen
    282 postsUnconfirmed, Member, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Agreed with Demons. The KE7 is a beast of a gun and quite possibly the best all-around Support weapon, if not one of the best guns in the game, period. And it already comes pre-spec'd with some excellent stuff (like higher ROF, which makes a huge difference).

That being said, Battlefield V is not an easy game. There's no more 3D spotting, environments are more complex than ever before (which can make seeing enemies very challenging), and death often comes in an instant.

You just need practice and patience.

I'll take the mg34 and mg42 over the ke7.
  • Chubzdoomer
    1390 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    DaHuntzMen wrote: »
    Agreed with Demons. The KE7 is a beast of a gun and quite possibly the best all-around Support weapon, if not one of the best guns in the game, period. And it already comes pre-spec'd with some excellent stuff (like higher ROF, which makes a huge difference).

That being said, Battlefield V is not an easy game. There's no more 3D spotting, environments are more complex than ever before (which can make seeing enemies very challenging), and death often comes in an instant.

You just need practice and patience.

I'll take the mg34 and mg42 over the ke7.

I haven't even messed around much with the MMGs, but aside from the biped issues they seem like they'd be a heckuva lot of fun to use and incredibly deadly in the right places.
  • mav_smileyface
    1313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I’ve no idea what all this ridiculous fuss is all about

This is by far the best BF since BC2 in terms of gunplay, map design etc

I started slow, I’m now smashing nearly every game of CQ 2.5 to 4KD I love the TTK I love how assaults now have SLRs I’m loving the Gewehr 1-5. Nothing brings me more joy thst single tapping snipers from 150 meters away killing them with 6-8 bullets I can almost taste their rage is beautiful

You gotta be quick on the aim confident in your movements, if you’re running around anxious of your environment you’ll get destroyed. You have to be confident as you move around the map and trust your gaming instincts
  • Agent_Talon
    400 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    SOULJ4R wrote: »
    I mostly get killed by near invisible campers using a MG with bipod or any class other than recon doing the same thing.

That damn MG needs a big..fat...nerf. Tired of getting killed across the map by these scoped wonders, beating me with a Gew or ironsight rifle. Scope glint EVERY one with a scope.

Can you even equip anything over a 1.5x on the MMGs?
  • doctorrocktor
    1781 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    50 yrs old here and i can certainly hold my own.no problem seeing enemy,not saying some don't but i just can't seem to put this game down.just finished getting all classes to R20 today and TOW at rank 20.i feel pretty chuffed.
  • Khronikos
    2145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Got BFV for a Xmas present from my son. Been busy with RDO so fired it up yesterday and played TOW for about 4 hours after reading recommendations at BFV website on how to set up BFV to play.

While reflexes are still good, being close to retirement I know they aren't as quick as they used to be. But I enjoy Battlefield because it wasn't all fast pace action. I could thrown in some tactic planning and succeed. Only a breakeven k/d ratio so I will never claim to be great but I play the objectives and my roles as support or healer. If I'm squad leader, I assign flags, etc.

Lucky if I broke .25% kd ratio yesterday. Half my deaths were by sniper, I say 25% was by players I couldn't see straight ahead of me and the rest, my KE7 just didn't seem to kill quick enough. Felt like so many 1 hit deaths by all kinds of guns even when I had the drop on players.

Players running all over the place. So many teammates that I saw use cover seem to die by sniper as they checked to see if it was clear. Just like me.

Also every TOW match I played I was on the losing side for four hours straight. Went 0-15 one match and I have never done that.

I certainly don't mind how games evolve/change but I wonder if I've been passed by completely with this game.

Just playing support for now as I try to learn the maps so if there is a recommended gun or guns to use for support as I rank up, I'm all ears. Also any recommendations for specialization for those particular weapons would be appreciated too.

And any settings suggestions for controls, display etc. I'll be looking for suggestions on YouTube videos also.

Thanks!

A .25 KDR epoints to something being wrong with your mechanics, controls, environment knowledge, and other smaller issues.

As someone that plays mostly solo Conquest, this game can definitely be hard. I use a KE7 too as my Support main, thought I haven't really ventured much not been playing a lot lately.

I have a 2-3 KDR playing Support. I think it says 2.4 or something like that in game. Playing alone is not easy. Even at a relatively very good KDR playing alone I feel this game is just too much sometimes. If I were to stick in bad games my KDR would drop more than likely or I would become a camper.

Now number one here: You can easily get better.

Go to your control settings and take a good look at every single control having to deal with sensitivity, colors, gameplay elements, map zooms, et cetera.

You really need to stop and tune every single setting in practice mode to your best ability, and then continue tweaking them as you play. I think you started this game too early. I had a tough time in BF1 when I first started playing, but even solo with no medic health I can play with the better players easily in that game now. .25 KDR is really bad for sure. Concerning, but no one that is not helpless will have a KDR that low with a bit of training.

So you really need to go redo settings for controls and sensitivities. Make sure you pay attention to the vertical aim ratio settings. Tune each settings specifically with your favorite weapon. And then retune them again.

I feel like some BF players think they can just waltz in and just do well with default settings. Controls are huge in this game man. Acceleration curves, sensitivity on aim, and vertical ratios are hugely important to your success in this.

Second is as you mentioned get a good look at the maps and try to sense out what you can manage. I was doing a lot worse before too when I was rushing things. If you don't run a squad you just have to deal with the fact you can't Rambo in there. I don't have a high KPM because I have to play smart alone, or you won't get that revive. You can surely also try tanking to max KDR, but some people complain about that too. I am a very good tanker, so I don't get the complaints.

Anyway, after you sense out each map and make direct remarks on where you are getting killed, you can draw some barriers in your mind about where you can and cannot go. This may seem silly but you really need to do this for each map. It might limit your playstyle, but this game has a low TTK, bad 30Hz netcode, et cetera. You just gotta do it. You might have a couple games with a bad squad where you don't do much. But I plenty of great games too even if I don't best squad nearly as much as I did in BF1.
  • trip1ex
    4474 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited December 2018
    Got BFV for a Xmas present from my son. Been busy with RDO so fired it up yesterday and played TOW for about 4 hours after reading recommendations at BFV website on how to set up BFV to play.

While reflexes are still good, being close to retirement I know they aren't as quick as they used to be. But I enjoy Battlefield because it wasn't all fast pace action. I could thrown in some tactic planning and succeed. Only a breakeven k/d ratio so I will never claim to be great but I play the objectives and my roles as support or healer. If I'm squad leader, I assign flags, etc.

Lucky if I broke .25% kd ratio yesterday. Half my deaths were by sniper, I say 25% was by players I couldn't see straight ahead of me and the rest, my KE7 just didn't seem to kill quick enough. Felt like so many 1 hit deaths by all kinds of guns even when I had the drop on players.

Players running all over the place. So many teammates that I saw use cover seem to die by sniper as they checked to see if it was clear. Just like me.

Also every TOW match I played I was on the losing side for four hours straight. Went 0-15 one match and I have never done that.

I certainly don't mind how games evolve/change but I wonder if I've been passed by completely with this game.

Just playing support for now as I try to learn the maps so if there is a recommended gun or guns to use for support as I rank up, I'm all ears. Also any recommendations for specialization for those particular weapons would be appreciated too.

And any settings suggestions for controls, display etc. I'll be looking for suggestions on YouTube videos also.

Thanks!

yep bad enough the game punishes older reflexes, but now it punishes the older eyeballs as well by making enemies so hard to see.

It's like kicking someone when they are down lol.

You gotta sit in bushes and shadows and wait for enemies to come to you. Then ask yourself where your next shadow and bush campground will be before you move again. Do a lot more of that and you'll do better.

Also quit the server at the first sign you're on the bad team. And find a new server. You have more room to breathe if you're on the good team.
  • heresPaul
    203 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You gotta be quick on the aim confident in your movements, if you’re running around anxious of your environment you’ll get destroyed. You have to be confident as you move around the map and trust your gaming instincts
    You sound like a jedi
  • TFBisquit
    1031 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Indeed. Seems everybody is running around like a jedi.
    As for the K/D in general, new players will run around like headless chickens, easy prey for the seasoned player.
    Then the visibility, I was in a map looking at a rock. Was something moving? Or was it my screen tearing a bit? Gazed well over 3 seconds at it, couldn't let it go, punched 1 bullet at it and sure enough saw a hitmarker. Killed the rock and found out it was an enemy. He was most likely in his settings or distracted.
    I don't have much spotting issues at my age, but clearly characters blend in too much in the environment.
    At the op, just take your time, move from building to building, hide behind some tank or obstacle, get that unlucky bypasser that's rushing.
    Get faster fire rate for the KE7, works wonders compared to default specialization. And you can wield it like you're an assault.
  • maskedocelot
    130 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think it's the lewis gun I like for support with the larger mag upgrade giving it a drum mag with 97 bullets. I tend to do upgrades for faster bullets as they're really slow on this game, try to set up in positions where you can shoot at enemy running across you rather than towards you which should stop the sniper problem. Also the class specification for auto-marking suppressed enemies helps.

For medic I'd use the emp with the NON hip fire upgrades it's a good short - mid and works if you're used to aiming. (hip fire at extreme short range as hip fire is a core mechanic and designed to work in this game)

For recon the self loading rifles are really good at all ranges 2 shots short to mid 3 for long with the auto-marking class specification.

Not made up my mind for assault m1a1 is a really good running around like a loon gun, fire till the enemies dead, or a slower 1 the gewer 43 (clip mags upgrade), count the shots 3 to kill, means you can switch target faster and waste less ammo.

I personally 3x scope everything that'll let me, so I can see what I'm shooting and camouflage is really effective so shadows and tree cover should help a lot with playing as support. It gets easier when you learn the maps especially where the ammo and health supply stations are.
  • Loki_Deezie
    867 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You must first lose to learn how to win. This game is rough. Prefer it on console so everyone is more equal and macros are a distant memory.

Dude above me,

Smgs don't kill that fast. Only the tommy and brother that beast is locked behind DAYS.

I'm getting killed from Stens left and right. AND Medics are apparently getting buffed. Unplayable mess.

If this is the case than it's a you problem. Medics in a bad spot at ALL ranges. Right now if a medic is killing you from outside of 30m it's u not medics.
  • rockin_master
    369 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2018
    It's not you. The only part of Battlefield left in BFV is the name itself. Disposable Battlefront re-skins is all that's left. Overwatch had more in common with Battlefield core gameplay than BFV or BF1 combined. That's sad.

• DieHarder55
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Grimace73 wrote: »
    What is RDO?

Red Dead Online
  • Hadron301
    48 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    never buy a BF at launch. better wait 6 month and try it then. every BF was a buggy mess at launch but became better over the next months.
    i am sure there will be much changes until summer 2019 that make the game playable.
    For me its not really playable bc there are no HC server to play on.
    6 months...
  • warslag
    1297 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Age hasn't got anything to do with how well you do in video games. I find all of this a bit ageist TBH.
  • FantaPantz
    101 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I was there too OP, my first few matches I would have results like 2/10 or 4/16 and very low scores. But gradually I grew to have a better awareness, learn the maps and mechanics of the game. It took me over 50 hours to get my average k/d over 1! But most rounds now my score per minute is 350 to 450 and my k/d is 1.5 to 3, still not the best but I'm happy where I am and I enjoy myself more. I still have absolute shocking rounds though, I got booted from a squad for starting a round(Narvik) 0/7. Ouch. Two rounds later I'm second from the top and 26/8. You don't get there in bad squads though so team play is essential.

It was the same for me playing BF2 in the beginning but learning from mistakes and following good players and watching how they play can definitely help.
  • DieHarder55
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thank you. I'll check out the video!

• DemonsofRazgriz
    136 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    warslag wrote: »
    Age hasn't got anything to do with how well you do in video games. I find all of this a bit ageist TBH.

I disagree, not because aging is the issue, but because you don't have as much time to sharpen your skills.
  • BL4CK_W4LL_
    704 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The game is tuned to feel like it belongs in an MLG tournament but it's most popular mapsize/game mode does not support such intensity.

Im looking forward to squad conquest to see if the games' pacing feels a bit better in that mode.

Ive also noticed my older game friends cannot handle this game and have bought then quickly abandoned the game. Most players are too used to sprinting everywhere then when they get fired upon they react. There is no time to react now so people either need to adapt or they will continue to have a terrible time.

Still BF5 has caused me to have my lowest K:D in a battlefield game to date. If I can get it above my bf4 k:d I'll be happy. So that is my own personal goal.

Anyways im rambling, I hope that fox the game so players like the OP can have fun.