Think I'm Getting Too Old for this Game

124»

Comments

• KUNeFFeM
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What you playing on Ghost?
  • OrionPherrit
    444 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I am also a semi-centurion, but heard even young whippersnappers are struggling at this game. GPMGs & subbies often mount 3x scopes, turning them into mini-sniper rifles, and maps are replete with open areas between control points where they will turn you into Swiss cheese unless you UberAlles on some vehicle.

Perhaps that makes the game more realistic, however it may force us to play more WW1-style than BF1, ironically. If we have to spend hours glaring at each other from trenches 100m away trading occasional sniper fire like in that war, it will be a crashing bore for most players. :(

Good thing I decided to stop caring about my K/D & win ratios, as they are around .59 & 36% respectively. I’m still soldiering on, but fun factor is severely lacking. May this be my last Battlefield — at least, from EA/Dice… :/
  • misisipiRivrRat
    807 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Got BFV for a Xmas present from my son. Been busy with RDO so fired it up yesterday and played TOW for about 4 hours after reading recommendations at BFV website on how to set up BFV to play.

While reflexes are still good, being close to retirement I know they aren't as quick as they used to be. But I enjoy Battlefield because it wasn't all fast pace action. I could thrown in some tactic planning and succeed. Only a breakeven k/d ratio so I will never claim to be great but I play the objectives and my roles as support or healer. If I'm squad leader, I assign flags, etc.

Lucky if I broke .25% kd ratio yesterday. Half my deaths were by sniper, I say 25% was by players I couldn't see straight ahead of me and the rest, my KE7 just didn't seem to kill quick enough. Felt like so many 1 hit deaths by all kinds of guns even when I had the drop on players.

Players running all over the place. So many teammates that I saw use cover seem to die by sniper as they checked to see if it was clear. Just like me.

Also every TOW match I played I was on the losing side for four hours straight. Went 0-15 one match and I have never done that.

I certainly don't mind how games evolve/change but I wonder if I've been passed by completely with this game.

Just playing support for now as I try to learn the maps so if there is a recommended gun or guns to use for support as I rank up, I'm all ears. Also any recommendations for specialization for those particular weapons would be appreciated too.

And any settings suggestions for controls, display etc. I'll be looking for suggestions on YouTube videos also.

Thanks!
    Hey man. I'm 54 and feel exactly the same. Tried playing a couple of matches yesterday, starting on Rotterdam. Now like you I am hardly a great player but on all other Bf's I could hold my own and finish top of leaderboards regularly enough to feel like I contributed to the team. I mostly run medic and at one point I was 2-14. Very frustrating when I'm trying to take advice of guys here and move slow and tactical and still die by snipers. I'd deploy smoke and still get killed, like the enemy could still see me.
    I have a horrible time seeing enemies at medium to long distance , many times not seeing them at all. You can turn off some settings in the game that help a bit, and it really helps to play with/as a squad. Unfortunately only a couple from my friends list are playing the game and very few players use the mic. I'm MisisipiRivrRat on ps4 if you'd like to squad up.
  • olavafar
    1941 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    To be honest, I think this games suites us older players better, mainly because it has lesser need for multitasking (mini map use is very reduced compared to for example BF4).
  • NemoDahFish
    123 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 1
    I had around 0.30 k/d when I started playing. Im now at around 1.5-2.5 k/d depening on the maps. Sometimes even better if im lucky with bad opponents.

Im still finding it hard to enjoy the game for more than an hour play because it constantly requires full attention. Its not forgiving at all. You are always on the run and always checking every pixel for movement because of the bad visibility. Sometimes it feels like work..

• DieHarder55
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

And of course if you can run with a party of friends its a bit easier. Currently I only have BF V on Xbox while I have BF1 on both PSN and Xbox. So if you want to play BF V on Xbox and play on the weekends during the day feel free to add me.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Spartan. On the PS4. Bought it to play BF4 as both released at the same time and I was interested in a bunch of PS4 exclusives, like The Last of Us, also.
  • g0merpile
    541 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm 1961 and I only play it with everyone. I do keep myself in shape, jog 4 miles a day, ride a bike, eat very healthy. I feel like I'm 20. But act like I'm 2
  • DieHarder55
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    g0merpile wrote: »
    It is age, stop kidding yourself. Eyes, reflexes hand eye memory. Most of the time most of you old goats cant even remember where you left your ammo create.

LOL. Just keep in mind you'll be an old goat yourself before you even realize it or even more so, feel like it in your head. :D
  • DieHarder55
    edited January 1
    Thanks everyone for all the support! Much appreciated!

Staying with the squad is very important. Before I redid my PS4 controller setup last night, I did a match in Narvik as support following a really good squadmate around feeding this player constant ammo packs.

As we captured flag D, I think it is is surrounded by around 8 buildings. This player ran through every one from bottom to top, jump out a window or opening at the top and then into the next one. He did it like 3 times and killed at least 3 Reds hiding in the buildings. I lost him at least 4 times trying to keep up with him. :#

The last time I lost him, when I found him again, he was already halfway to the next flag. :D Have to say not quite my speed for gameplay. LOL

• BaronVonGoon
    6730 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Play TDM. The players are generally less skilled than in other gamemodes and the maps smaller. A good place to learn and improve. I got good playing BF4 for 300 hours 5 years ago.

Use a an easy to use gun and since you're trying to get good focus on one range for now. The easiest is close range, hardest is long range. My recommendation based on having been a noob 5 years ago and the frustration still being fresh in my memory, use something that excels in close range and stick to areas where close range fights happen. Play as medic so you don't have to worry about health. Even for close range you want a gun that's easy to use, maybe the Sten.

Do not get frustrated. Some rounds your team will be much worse than the other team and there's nothing you can do about it. It happens. Yesterday I played a round of conquest and we were steamrolled, I finished 27-12. The next round I finished 66-6.

Play defensively. Don't camp! But let them come to you. Especially if the other team is stronger. If they're stronger than your team, where ever you are in the map you'll be outnumbered. So play defensively and let them come to you. Find a high traffic area and defend it. Listen for footsteps or look for 'x' on the minimap where friendlies died.

The best thing someone told me when I sucked 5 years ago and I came here to the forums to vent was very simple but helped: Learn to stay alive, the longer you stay alive the more opportunities you'll get to get kills.
  • g0merpile
    541 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Play TDM. The players are generally less skilled than in other gamemodes and the maps smaller. A good place to learn and improve. I got good playing BF4 for 300 hours 5 years ago.

Use a an easy to use gun and since you're trying to get good focus on one range for now. The easiest is close range, hardest is long range. My recommendation based on having been a noob 5 years ago and the frustration still being fresh in my memory, use something that excels in close range and stick to areas where close range fights happen. Play as medic so you don't have to worry about health. Even for close range you want a gun that's easy to use, maybe the Sten.

Do not get frustrated. Some rounds your team will be much worse than the other team and there's nothing you can do about it. It happens. Yesterday I played a round of conquest and we were steamrolled, I finished 27-12. The next round I finished 66-6.

Play defensively. Don't camp! But let them come to you. Especially if the other team is stronger. If they're stronger than your team, where ever you are in the map you'll be outnumbered. So play defensively and let them come to you. Find a high traffic area and defend it. Listen for footsteps or look for 'x' on the minimap where friendlies died.

The best thing someone told me when I sucked 5 years ago and I came here to the forums to vent was very simple but helped: Learn to stay alive, the longer you stay alive the more opportunities you'll get to get kills.

LOL
  • 2003cobravert
    61 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    g0merpile wrote: »
    It is age, stop kidding yourself. Eyes, reflexes hand eye memory. Most of the time most of you old goats cant even remember where you left your ammo create.

Someone beat me to it but at least we can spell crate.

• IamSoSorry59
    161 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    10/Feb/2019 I am 60. LOL all the time, having fun with my shottie and don´t care about anything in the game except ffor the fact I got plenty of beers.
  • M_Rat13
    911 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm with you here mate. I was already in my twenties when I was a master of Quake II, but these days, I'm a lot slower. BFV follows BF1 with it's spray 'n' pray/sniper-camper gameplay, although BF1 had some middle ground.

What makes BFV worse for me is the ridiculous jumping and ADAD spam. Watch some videos on youtube and you can see gamers who have an ADAD spam macro programmed to activate when they're standing still; there's no way you can ADAD spam that fast manually. Beyond about 30m, ADAD spam results in players teleporting from side to side because the server and client are too slow in updating, and, well..., I could go on for hours.

Bottom line is, Battlefield games used to be more than quickscoping or spray 'n' pray. I loved Planetside 2 for it's wide variety of play styles, but it also had friendly fire which meant you had to have good trigger discipline in close ranged firefights. If there were multiple friends and enemies (which was often), spray 'n' pray would just get you weapon-locked quickly.

Biggest problem is that the game doesn't work properly, and you sound like your one of the lucky players who always seem to be half a second behind everyone else which means you rarely get the chance to react before 'zip-ping' one hit death from an SMG 80 metres away. Sadly, there's nothing we can do about this because the game is at fault. Go play something less frustrating until (if ever) the game gets fixed.

Yer, they need to fix ADAD spam....again....

Why they didn't use the system they patched into bf1, I'll never know.