Ping Rate of 21 - Good or Bad for This Game?

DieHarder55
79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Play a Conquest match yesterday where Red was a good sec or so ahead of me in line of sight.

Forget the map but I was fighting with my squadmates at flag D in the country side (lot of yellow covered fields at flag F). Anyway, fighting from inside various buildings with others and I just dying constantly. I'd be hip firing as Reds started to appear in the door but already dead at that point. Didn't even hear the bullet that killed me sometimes.

Ping Rate has been a steady 21 in all the matches when I check. Same for this match. Reds varied from 30 all the way to about 201. Most were in the mid to upper double digits.

Had to leave the match since I couldn't kill anyone.

Just trying to get educated on network connections again. Been quite a few years since doing PvP with this number of players on a match.

Thanks!

Comments

• 0SiGHT0
    455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2
    21ms is very good, but it means nothing when you have a client side hit detection that is highly favorable to people with higher latency. Just another disaster from the newer BF games.
  • Thunderbutt79
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My ping is the same at 21ms and the same thing happens me too.
  • TFBisquit
    1031 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If you have a high pinger in the immidiate vicinity, your low ping has a disadvantage to the server. That's also why you wont notice it all the time. Server recalculates things all the time in portions of the map. If they disabled lag compensation, higher pingers would have a bad time, but enabled smoothens things out, which means you could be emptying a clip in someone, that was on his screen already firing at you first.
    This is an old feature which was used even before BF3, in other games. And I suppose it's now the core problem of their networking issues.
    It doesn't seem to combine well with the TTK and TTD.
    Anyway, in my experience, a ping around 50ms produces the best results, with a minimum of lag or firing at ghosts.
  • Danz_RS
    502 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    0SiGHT0 wrote: »
    21ms is very good, but it means nothing when you have a client side hit detection that is highly favorable to people with higher latency. Just another disaster from the newer BF games.
    Hit detection has been server side since BF1's april 2017 patch.
  • 0SiGHT0
    455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Danz_RS wrote: »

It is absolutely not server side, do some research into how the client interacts with the server and it is very much client oriented and favors high ping players.
  • Danz_RS
    502 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2

It is absolutely not server side, do some research into how the client interacts with the server and it is very much client oriented and favors high ping players.
    Have you actually tried to play at a high ping like 150-200? The experience is garbage. Join a server in another region and see for yourself if there's any advantage.

The only advantage I've seen in US East servers is the amount noobs and casual players compared to my region where it's mostly pros. Otherwise the hit detection favours heavily the ones with better latency.
  • 0SiGHT0

Have you actually tried to play at a high ping like 150-200? The experience is garbage. Join a server in another region and see for yourself if there's any advantage.

The only advantage I've seen in US East servers is the amount noobs and casual players compared to my region where it's mostly pros. Otherwise the hit detection favours heavily the ones with better latency.

Region hopping won't even get you 150-200 ping... I am from the US and I get 100ms exactly on Europe servers. Besides that, there are advantages to having a higher ping in certain situations. There are a few Youtube videos that break down why you get these advantages, and it's all the game's implementation of latency from a client's communication to a central server.
  • Skitelz7
    903 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Sounds like you were just missing your shots.
  • DieHarder55
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Skitelz7 wrote: »
    Sounds like you were just missing your shots.

If you're talking to me, when you don't hear the sound of a bullet and your dead or not even seeing the other player firing on you as you attempt to squeeze the trigger and you dead, certainly not missing my shots. I can't even get one off. :)
  • smokintom214
    1794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2
    Play a Conquest match yesterday where Red was a good sec or so ahead of me in line of sight.

Forget the map but I was fighting with my squadmates at flag D in the country side (lot of yellow covered fields at flag F). Anyway, fighting from inside various buildings with others and I just dying constantly. I'd be hip firing as Reds started to appear in the door but already dead at that point. Didn't even hear the bullet that killed me sometimes.

Ping Rate has been a steady 21 in all the matches when I check. Same for this match. Reds varied from 30 all the way to about 201. Most were in the mid to upper double digits.

Had to leave the match since I couldn't kill anyone.

Just trying to get educated on network connections again. Been quite a few years since doing PvP with this number of players on a match.

Thanks!
    Your latency ms (ping) is more so to do with the server you are closest to not connection, but it does help lower it. My friend lives in south Georgia, he gets 17ms.. off that same US server in Northern Georgia when we play together I get a steady MS at 40 and I live in South Florida.

Our connections are the same about 120 mb d and 15mb up.
  • PixelSquish
    220 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Some interesting info in this thread. So I'm playing east coast servers from NJ where I often get a ping of 10 or even less. Which I thought was the best. You are saying I should look for servers that are a bit farther away where I get a ping closer to around 50ms?
  • Catsonspeeed
    605 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hit registration is client side up to 160 ms, anything over that and it becomes server side. So 160 ms is the threshold for lag compensation. Once you go over that, you have to start to lead your shots. My ping is usually 48 ms, hard to say whether it's good for me or not, I have tried playing with 120 ms (from EU to NA East), and there really isn't that huge difference.

But since high ping can cause problems to other players on the server, I just play on EU servers.
  • DemonsofRazgriz
    136 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's not ping that you have to worry about, it's packet loss.
  • Khronikos
    2145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 3
    Consoles on 30Hz servers lol. It's never going to be great unless they shut out high pings and even then not great.

Past that they all the issues with a variety of things. Sometimes it still feels like TTK 2.
  • Catsonspeeed
    605 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Khronikos wrote: »
    Consoles on 30Hz servers lol. It's never going to be great unless they shut out high pings and even then not great.

Past that they all the issues with a variety of things. Sometimes it still feels like TTK 2.

That's true. Pretty much every server feels different, some are just awful to play at. They are possibly upping the tick rate at least for smaller game modes, but nothing has been confirmed yet. But if they do, it probably will be 45Hz for TDM and Domination. Can't even dream of having 60Hz on Conquest.
  • Maldraxis
    50 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Ping means nothing if it's unstable. It's better to have high stable ping, than low fluctuating ping.
    I believe Battle non sense has a video out in regards to this explaining ping, packet loss and so on.
    I would post the link but I am pretty sure the CM boogey man would delete/lock the post, so just google it.
  • warslag
    1297 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I've started to believe that poor hit detection is purely down to the sheer amount of traffic on the internet in general.

The best hit reg I had was in BF3. Even BF4 was a total nightmare.

I've stopped blaming other players and their high ping. If players have high ping it's because they don't have local servers which is not their fault.