BFV not running properly

Sw3de_Remedii
6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
When i play battlefield 1 for example, i can play Ultra settings and get 60-70+ FPS, but as soon as i logged into BFV, i cant get a smooth 60 even at low settings with the resolution scale set at 50%. Ive tried turning DX12 on and off, but i cant find anything that gives a meaningful performance enhancement. Is BFV just that more graphically intensive over BF1 or are my settings just incorrect?.

Specs:
GTX 1060 6GB Founders Edition (overclocked)
i5-4570
14GB RAM
430W PSU
B85M-E MoBo

Thanks in advance for replies

Comments

• OskooI_007
    907 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    4core/4thread i5 CPUs will struggle in BFV. 14GB of RAM is an odd number and makes me wonder if RAM is running in dual channel mode. You can check with a program called CPU-Z under the Memory tab.
  • g0merpile
    686 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    When i play battlefield 1 for example, i can play Ultra settings and get 60-70+ FPS, but as soon as i logged into BFV, i cant get a smooth 60 even at low settings with the resolution scale set at 50%. Ive tried turning DX12 on and off, but i cant find anything that gives a meaningful performance enhancement. Is BFV just that more graphically intensive over BF1 or are my settings just incorrect?.

Specs:
    i5-4570
    14GB RAM
    430W PSU
    B85M-E MoBo

You cannot play ultra settings in bf1 with your system and get 60 to 70 fps.
  • Sw3de_Remedii
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 3
    OskooI_007 wrote: »
    4core/4thread i5 CPUs will struggle in BFV. 14GB of RAM is an odd number and makes me wonder if RAM is running in dual channel mode. You can check with a program called CPU-Z under the Memory tab.

would turning dual channel mode off improve performance? I have 14 GB cuase a 2gb ram slot. dont ask why i still keep it.
  • Sw3de_Remedii
    g0merpile wrote: »

Specs:
    i5-4570
    14GB RAM
    430W PSU
    B85M-E MoBo

You cannot play ultra settings in bf1 with your system and get 60 to 70 fps.

i had a couple of settings tuned down. like scale, all the cinematic **** (motion blur, film grain, etc.)
  • OskooI_007
    907 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You'll get better performance with dual channel enabled. It doubles memory bandwidth. Should help boost your FPS by 20fps.

Dual channel mode is enabled by putting your RAM sticks in the proper slots on your motherboard. Your motherboard's user manual should show you the right slots to use.
  • Sw3de_Remedii
    You'll get better performance with dual channel enabled. It doubles memory bandwidth. Should help boost your FPS by 20fps.

Dual channel mode is enabled by putting your RAM sticks in the proper slots on your motherboard. Your motherboard's user manual should show you the right slots to use.

CPU-Z states "Channel # Dual" so im guessing it is in the correct slot alignment. Thanks for the assist
  • OskooI_007
    edited January 3
    Out of curiosity, what's your RAM configuration? You say it's 14GB.

Is it:

1 x 8GB stick
    1 x 4GB stick
    1 x 2GB stick

If so you'll want an empty slot between the 8GB stick and the 4GB stick. That way they're running in dual channel mode together.

Although only 8GB will be in dual channel mode due to size mismatch. The remaining 6GB of memory will be running in single channel mode.

In other words, only half of the 8GB stick will be running in dual channel mode, due to it being matched with a 4GB stick.

You definitely don't want the 2GB stick running in dual channel mode, because then you'd only have 4GB running in dual channel.

Either way the CPU is the main problem. It's doesn't have enough threads. If you had an i7 it would do much better. Although all the mismatched RAM in your system isn't helping performance either.

• Sw3de_Remedii

Is it:

1 x 8GB stick
    1 x 4GB stick
    1 x 2GB stick

If so you'll want an empty slot between the 8GB stick and the 4GB stick. That way they're running in dual channel mode together.

Although only 8GB will be in dual channel mode due to size mismatch. The remaining 6GB of memory will be running in single channel mode.

In other words, only half of the 8GB stick will be running in dual channel mode, due to it being matched with a 4GB stick.

You definitely don't want the 2GB stick running in dual channel mode, because then you'd only have 4GB running in dual channel.

Either way the CPU is the main problem. It's doesn't have enough threads. If you had an i7 it would do much better. Although all the mismatched RAM in your system isn't helping performance either.

i have 3 4GB ddr3 with a 2gb ddr3 from when i first got the pc (had a 750 ti before upgrade to 1060)
  • OskooI_007
    I see. You probably have 12GB running in dual channel mode then. I'd say the CPU is mostly causing the issues.
  • afzSnickelfritz
    144 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Is it:

1 x 8GB stick
    1 x 4GB stick
    1 x 2GB stick

All RAM modules in dual channel mode must be the same capacity. Otherwise, the system will automatically revert to single channel mode.
  • CrashCA
    1091 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 3
    Buy a matched set of RAM, it is pretty cheap at the moment especially DDR3 ($90 for 16 GB)
  • g0merpile
    686 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 3
    CrashCA wrote: »
    Buy a matched set of RAM, it is pretty cheap at the moment especially DDR3 ($90 for 16 GB)

Hi crash, i think he should save the money put towards a new unit, in the coming months bf5 is going to be demanding on his system
  • CrashCA
    1091 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Based on CPU, I would agree.
  • choppernNZ
    86 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yep the cpu definitely I've an old one like you but it's 6 core and 12 threads that helps my game big time
  • OskooI_007

Is it:

1 x 8GB stick
    1 x 4GB stick
    1 x 2GB stick

All RAM modules in dual channel mode must be the same capacity. Otherwise, the system will automatically revert to single channel mode.

Nope, there's flex mode. Which is what the OP is running.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html
  • Titan_Awaken
    805 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    That CPU. Upgrade it. I struggled with an i5-7400 in BF1 before I replaced it with an i7. If anything, BFV will likely chew up even more CPU so more cores and threads will definitely help. Or alternatively you can get a cheaper K CPU and try your luck by overclocking it.

Your RAM configuration is pretty interesting. But like others have said, try replacing that for a 2x8GB (or any matching set of sticks for that matter) and run it in dual channel if you can. Frequency shouldn’t matter too much tbh, anything over 2000MHz should do just fine.

Also you might want to double check that your PSU is supplying a sufficient amount of power to your components. The last thing you want after getting some new parts is to fry them completely.
  • Titan_Awaken
    805 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    That CPU. Upgrade it. I struggled with an i5-7400 in BF1 before I replaced it with an i7. If anything, BFV will likely chew up even more CPU so more cores and threads will definitely help. Or alternatively you can get a cheaper K CPU and try your luck by overclocking it.

Your RAM configuration is pretty interesting. But like others have said, try replacing that for a 2x8GB (or any matching set of sticks for that matter) and run it in dual channel if you can. Frequency shouldn’t matter too much tbh, anything over 2000MHz should do just fine.

Also you might want to double check that your PSU is supplying a sufficient amount of power to your components. The last thing you want after getting some new parts is to fry them completely.
  • REPERCUSSIONS
    222 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Specs:
    i5-4570
    14GB RAM
    430W PSU
    B85M-E MoBo

well its a different game made many years apart for starters. that's like saying my camaro **** from 1969 isn't as fast as my new 2018 ****.... they won't be the same, different architecture involved.