Weekly Debrief

Recon Self-Loading Rifles are awful

Harrahh
21 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Recently I have been trying to give SLR's on the recon class a go, and it's been a frustrating time.

At one end of the spectrum you have the Semi Auto rifles on Assault and the Bolt Action rifles for Recon at the other end, the recon's SLR's excel at nothing in comparison. 2 shots the head, and (the majority of the time) 3 shots to the body, this wouldn't be a problem if they didn't have the enormous recoil. The amount of ammo you start with doesn't help either. 25 bullets!? At least with Bolt Actions you can deal a significant amount of damage with that amount but with SLR's, you use it up in no time.

I wouldn't want a change in how many shots to the head it takes, this would make the Bolt Action rifles completely redundant if it only took 1 shot, but at least a guarantee that 2 shots to the torso can take an enemy down would be nice. This would also fix the lack of ammo problem.

I just feel as the semi auto rifles on the assault class kill with as many shots, with a much faster rate of fire, and noticeably less recoil. Taking away all incentive to use the SLR's.

Comments

• Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The AL8 and RSC do kill in 2 bodyshots, but drop to a 3 shot kill at a certain distance (50m I think?)

The ZH-29 is the slowest firing SLR, but it's a guaranteed 2 shot kill no matter what at all distances
  • LankRich
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    To be fair, I've lost count with the number of times I've had to shoot someone 3 times to bring them down. Does the damage really reduce that much over a certain distance?
  • Dr_X2345
    774 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    The AL8 and RSC do kill in 2 bodyshots, but drop to a 3 shot kill at a certain distance (50m I think?)

The ZH-29 is the slowest firing SLR, but it's a guaranteed 2 shot kill no matter what at all distances
    AL8? Is that the Model 8?
    Anyway, they're kind of eh for me personally (although I've only really used the Model 8 much so far, I've had a look at the ZH as well but only for like part of one match). The damage is alright for the most part, but the recoil is the biggest problem for me personally (and probably other people as well). I know they're different weapons so you should expect differences in recoil, but for example compare the Gewehr 43 on the Assault and the ZH-Z9 for Recon. If you fire at more or less max RoF with the Gewehr, the recoil will be comparatively minimal. However, do the same with the ZH, and your shots are going to be wildly off target very quickly at anything more than point blank range. Again, I know they're different weapons with different firing styles, and I do need to try out the ZH for much longer and then I might change my mind, but it feels like the recoil is too high personally at least on the Model 8.
    Maybe the damage drop off range for the Assault DMRs should be shortened and/or that of the Recon SLRs be made longer, plus a base recoil reduction to the SLRs?
  • M_Rat13
    1074 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You do realize the ZH-29 has access to a 6x scope right, and will always 2 tap?

I can hit you from 300m away. What DMR can do that with their pathetic 3x optics?
  • Foot_Guard_Tomei
    438 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ZH-29 is nice, I missed Selbstlader mission and are out of CCs but I am hearing good things about it + it's Axis. Nothing beats fond memories of SVD Dragunov in 3 however :'(
  • Desyatnik_Pansy
    1413 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    M_Rat13 wrote: »
    You do realize the ZH-29 has access to a 6x scope right, and will always 2 tap?

I can hit you from 300m away. What DMR can do that with their pathetic 3x optics?

But there aren't many places you're going to be engaging from 300m, and with a 6x you're a flashlight anyway; heck, even with a 3x you're always telling them where you aim. Within more common ranges that you're going to be engaging people, the Assault semis are stronger and even up to about 150m they're arguably stronger since they don't immediately have a "Look at me!" indicator when they ADS And suffer little recoil if any.
  • MarxistDictator
    4916 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    1906 is just the ZH 29 with a default fire rate upgrade but no magazine option. Such innovation by DICE.

This is also the relationship between the RSC and Model 8 (Model 8 can raise its fire rate beyond what the RSC is capable of but always has 1 less round per full reload). But taking 3 shots to kill at like 40m really hurts.

The difference in rate of fire between these 2 types of rifles is also almost non existent unless you compare the max rate of fire possible with the AL8 to the default ZH 29.

What a boring category.
  • mav_smileyface
    1313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Recon SLRs need less cortical recoil and greater 2HK distance

The RSC in BF1 would work out reasonably well in BFV
  • CreedManiac
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I can tell you that the ZH-29 is great, haven't really tried the others tho.
    In my opinion the recoil on SLRs is perfect, it's the assault that has it easy with its laser semi-autos.
  • WhiteRabbit_swe
    619 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    1906 is just the ZH 29 with a default fire rate upgrade but no magazine option. Such innovation by DICE.

This is also the relationship between the RSC and Model 8 (Model 8 can raise its fire rate beyond what the RSC is capable of but always has 1 less round per full reload). But taking 3 shots to kill at like 40m really hurts.

The difference in rate of fire between these 2 types of rifles is also almost non existent unless you compare the max rate of fire possible with the AL8 to the default ZH 29.

What a boring category.
    The selbst 1906 also have much bigger recoil, slower reload, and only 5 bullets compared to the ZH-29... It looks cool and all, but ZH-29 is much much better!

Other then that... Recon SLRs have to big recoil, sure it says rate of fire is 150 or 180 on them, but problem is the actual ROF is much lower because the recoil is so big... I would say the real ROF (the fire rate to you use to actually be able to hit with your bullets) on these SLRs are more like 100...

Its bad...
  • Harrahh
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    After playing a little more, the damage drop off does seem to be the problem. But even then, it's still the same number of shots for an assault semi auto (using the gewehr as an example) at that same drop off range. I would still prefer the gewehr at these longer ranges, which really shouldn't be the case as i choose to be recon for a reason.

For instance I saved these two clips, first being with the RSC and the second with the gewehr

both similar ranges and both take 3 shots... the g43 does it with a lot more ease though; it should be the other way round imo
  • Harrahh
    ^^ the videos are in a different order. G43 first, RSC second
  • LankRich
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The Recon DMR's should have a consistent 2 shot kill at any range. This is what should separate them from the Assault DMR's. The recon bolt-action rifles do not suffer from this treatment, so why should the DMR's..
  • DingoKillr
    3558 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 7
    LankRich wrote: »
    The Recon DMR's should have a consistent 2 shot kill at any range. This is what should separate them from the Assault DMR's. The recon bolt-action rifles do not suffer from this treatment, so why should the DMR's..
    Because they are Recon weapons.

All Recon weapons must be worst otherwise the babies will cry. I am getting sick of these glaring balance issues in this game and nothing seem to be done or willing to unless it is approved by the yappers on youtube.

BFV rewards headshots reducing the number of BTK.

BA are only 1BTK if your lucky/skilled or 2BTK if you live long enough, making SLR 2BTK at all ranges means no skill for a head shot to bring it down from a 3BTK and over shadows the BA to much.
  • Harrahh
    That is a fair point. Perhaps the semi autos should have a quicker damage drop off to give people a reason to use SLRs
  • stabbinhobo
    581 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Gforce81 wrote: »

Simply not true. My favorite weapon in the game. I've got nearly 1800 kills with it and I can't easily count the number of times I've had to hit with 3 shots for a kill. I've gotten kills at 600m+ with it.. thats 3 hits as well with no scope offset.. the round has a ballistic arc like a mortar..lol.

It's truly pathetic I can pick up an assault DMR with a 3x scope and counter snipers effectively. With the 1-5 I have no issues getting hits at 300m... more difficult to get a kill with but with nearly no recoil I can just spam all 32 rounds.. reload and keep at it. Same with all the assault weps TBH. IMHO none of the assault weapons require any skill.. just point in the general direction and hold the button down.

The scout SLR's just need some love. Huge recoil... slow **** round... limited ammo... a 5 round mag AND scope glint on 3x scopes. Tell me again why I don't just play assault? IMHO making the SLR a OHK with a HS at closer ranges would be a decent offset. A option for the high speed round in the perk tree and/or some offset for the recoil would be a nice addition as well w/o making anyone cry OP.

• xKusagamix
    951 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It's the instant heal pouch that make it sometime need 3 shots to kill in a range that it should only take 2 shots.

DICE should srsly need to fix their current mechanic with the Medic pouch, at first the Recon class was nerfed to oblivion because they think more and more people will run around with less than 100 heal, but it's not. They should limit instant access to heal pouch only for Medic class, the other classes can't use the heal pouch while being in a firefight or being suppressed.
  • Blackidus
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I´m having really fun playing as an aggresive sniper with the 1906 with ironsights = no scope glint, faster reload and mostly a 2 shoot kill.
  • MachoFantast1c0
    2034 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

What a boring category.
    The selbst 1906 also have much bigger recoil, slower reload, and only 5 bullets compared to the ZH-29... It looks cool and all, but ZH-29 is much much better!
    Its bad...

It's exactly the other way around. The Selbstlader 1906 has considerably less recoil than the ZH-29, almost comparable to AL8 and RSC. This makes it by far the best and most versatile SLR, since AL8 and RSC are hit hard by the pathetic 2HK range. ZH can't compete up close due to significant recoil. Only exception is in case you want to camp with the ZH far from other players.

Note this is from a PC perspective, console might experience it differently.