low GPU usage cant keep 90% or above

deak2big
3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited January 14
My Specs:
CPU:i7 4790
RAM:2x8gb ddr3 1600
GPU:GTX1070Ti

1. all ultra, the GPU usage go up mostly 80-90% or above but never keep 99% as some of the people on youtube.I get around 70fps and sometimes below 60fps if in the crowded area.

2. all medium with some low settings, the GPU usage start to become more unstable and flickering around 70-95%or above but again, it never keeps in a stable range. I can get around 100fps or more in a remote area and 70-95fps with mostly 80 something in normal fighting zone and 50-70 in the crowded area.

3. all these unstable GPU usages and fps really depend on which map I m playing and which zone I m fighting. In some map, the unstable usage seems to be not so often. However, in some map like Rotterdam, the usage will be unstable almost all the time.

4. In conclusion, my unstable GPU Usage usually related to the number of enemies and buildings nearby, but I don't really get why some people can get constantly 99% GPU usage and stable FPS with the exact same specs as mine, there must be something wrong!

MY CPU usage always higher than 85% with sometimes 100% in a crowded area which really **** up my fps and causes stuttering sometimes.

I just can't get a stable high GPU usage and stable fps no matter what setting I m using. It is still playable but is there any ways to make the game stability better???
because almost all the fight happens in the crowded zone and if I can't get at least stable and smooth fps during the gunfight, it would be a disaster and hugely affect my performance.

It can be my CPU problem since it is non-k and old sf. My friend uses the exact same GPU as I m using but with an i7 8700 and it actually a lot smoother and always get above 100fps in the game except for some crowded area but still pretty smooth at least compared to my i7 4790 builds.

It can't be overheating problem.. MY CPU rarely get above 70 degrees thanks to my cooler and 73 degrees with my overclocked 1070ti all the time.

Do anyone have a clue about what's going on with my situation??

BTW IT ACTUALLY HELPED ME TO IMPROVE MY STUTTERING SITUATION IN ALL GAMES!!!!!!!

and i upgraded my window 10 1803 to 1809 and helped with my GPU usage somehow but still having some unstable fps issues, but it does improve some stuttering, it is worth to try.

Post edited by xxxCoOlBr33zExxx on

Comments

• ZyGViking2121
    660 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    You're cpu is probably at 100% load and perventing the gpu from staying at 100%, you can raise the graphics settings up, or change the resolution scale to around 120% and it should increase the gpu usage and could smooth the game out even more.

Its just a slight cpu bottleneck on you system with this game. The only game that i know of that has trouble on older i7 quad cores.

• REPERCUSSIONS
    222 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You're cpu is probably at 100% load and perventing the gpu from staying at 100%, you can raise the graphics settings up, or change the resolution scale to around 120% and it should increase the gpu usage and could smooth the game out even more.

Its just a slight cpu bottleneck on you system with this game. The only game that i know of that has trouble on older i7 quad cores.

nope.my first gen I7 runs this game fine with very stable fps. do you run a older intel chip or are you just talking out of our ****? I run this gsme at 4k res on a first gen..... what proof do you have for your claim other then heresay?
  • CSO7777
    1085 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    nope.my first gen I7 runs this game fine with very stable fps. do you run a older intel chip or are you just talking out of our ****? I run this gsme at 4k res on a first gen..... what proof do you have for your claim other then heresay?
    Running 4K makes the game 100% GPU dependant. If OP is running below 4K (should be with that GPU), then the CPU becomes a bigger factor.

But the CPU-usage should not be 100%, perhaps something is running in the background using CPU-cycles besides BFV?

Also make sure RAM is running dual-channel (use CPU-Z or something like that), not running RAM in dual-channel is bad in this game.
  • FantaPantz
    101 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 8
    I had fps issues with my 1070ti, but benchmarks show the game was only using 60-70% of the GPU power. I turned on future frame rendering in graphics options and, voila, I can use full GPU. I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended but the 1070ti should eat this game on low settings.
  • ZyGViking2121
    660 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 8

1080p max quality on a i7 3770s with a 4.2ghz overclock and a 2x 780ti's, a 1070ti has twice the horse power, so yeah a slightly higher end CPU will struggle a bit, Also using a Intel's Quick sync so no added CPU load when recording other than a small bit to keep OBS running.

Mind you this is BF1, BFV is twice as hard to run on the same CPU, Of course turning up the graphics to lets say in your case, 4K, the GPU becomes the bottleneck, and should lower the CPU usage as the CPU is waiting for the graphics card. Turn the Res down and try to run it and watch your old i7 peg to 100% if you have a decent GPU anway.

BF1 also pushed my i7 5820k to around 80% at times at 1440p with a pair of GTX 1070s, Tho they did do some more optimizations to the game or drivers so it ended up dropping down a bit but was still around 60% or so. BFV drives my 5960x to around 60 70% with the same 1070's. It can be pretty hard on older CPU's.

• deak2big
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have seen many people on the internet(youtube) using 1070Ti and getting stable 98/99% of usage when they're playing, I have even seen someone using i7 4790 with 1070ti achieve better stability on fps than me!!

this is pretty similar to my situation since he is using the exact same hardware that I have but with a slightly better overall performance than me with mostly >90% GPU usage.
  • deak2big
    I wonder if it actually the problem of the game or my cpu bottleneck?
  • deak2big
    You know what ???

I just upgraded my CPU to i7 8700 and ~everything smooth as hell!!!!

I can say, it must be CPU bottleneck

the real recommended requirement should be i7 8700, not i7 4790.

the god damn 4 cores 4790 will bottleneck GPU .
  • Titan_Awaken
    622 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Dik2big wrote: »
    You know what ???

Those extra cores and threads will definitely help a lot.

Next time take the recommended requirements with a grain of salt. They're sometimes lower than they actually are for marketing purposes.
  • dude_ButtCabbage
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    FantaPantz wrote: »
    I had fps issues with my 1070ti, but benchmarks show the game was only using 60-70% of the GPU power. I turned on future frame rendering in graphics options and, voila, I can use full GPU. I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended but the 1070ti should eat this game on low settings.

same, dunno why but ffr bumped gpu use from 60 to 90%+
  • ZyGViking2121
    You know what ???

Next time take the recommended requirements with a grain of salt. They're sometimes lower than they actually are for marketing purposes.

Well its not the system requirements thats wrong, in fact its perfectly fine, He's pairing a old i7 4790 which is the recommended and paring it with a GPU that's much faster than the recommended which in return will drive CPU usage up as the game can leverage a stronger GPU.

Unfortunately this game is heavy on the CPU with a strong graphics card, but its nothing to do with the optimizations, its how Frostbite engine has always been.
  • FantaPantz
    101 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    dude32092 wrote: »
    FantaPantz wrote: »

same, dunno why but ffr bumped gpu use from 60 to 90%+

lol yeah I've turned it off since because I can't handle the unput lag that ffr gives. This game is in dire need of optimization.
  • Titan_Awaken
    622 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    You know what ???

Well its not the system requirements thats wrong, in fact its perfectly fine, He's pairing a old i7 4790 which is the recommended and paring it with a GPU that's much faster than the recommended which in return will drive CPU usage up as the game can leverage a stronger GPU.

Unfortunately this game is heavy on the CPU with a strong graphics card, but its nothing to do with the optimizations, its how Frostbite engine has always been.

Yeah, I know. Thanks for clarifying though.