How to level up Aircrafts

JinShepard
9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Hello, ever since I got this game I have been trying to level up aircraft's, both the fighter and the bombers. However, every time I spawn it, I might live 1 bomb run or a little bit of time in a fighter but I always get outmanoeuvred or I just simply pop in, my fighter needs to hit a enemy bomber for a lot of shots, like a lot! And when an enemy fighter comes behind me, I dont even get the chance to go to the top or bottom gunner seat to shoot because iam already destroyed.

When dog-fighting I also notice 9 out of 10 times I get out manoeuvred, I can't turn as quick as they can, I cant fire rockets or have different type of machine gun, iam a fly flying around to be splatted and I just can't seem to get any points to get to the point where I can have an actual chance. (This is why I hate progression, how small it might be, an advantage IS an advantage).

So what do I do? How do I level up? The only suggestion I had so far is to do the map in the snowy peaks (forgot the name, fjal something?) but as I said, I don't have a chance to live long enough to do anything. Please advice!

Comments

• iFistyoSis
    1129 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    Have you bind the pitch-up to a button like E or SPACE? You won't stand a chance by flying only using the mouse...
    Fjell is bad for beginners. Too many planes and AA'a. Start with Twisted steeel, Hamada (even thou visibility is bad from the heat) or Narvik.
    Get used to look behind you alot (from 3rd or 1st person view) to check your surroundings and infantry/tanks on the ground.
    When you chasing bombers or stuka/mosquito DO NOT try to take it down in one go. Shoot him and as soon as he switches to his back gunner disangage, do a 360 and come back at it, by that time he would have switched to driver seat again to try an repair. Shoot him again and repeat. Eventually he will go down.
    You can also try the Practice Range. The AI doesnt shoot back but its still ok for practice.
    I lvl'd up the fighter planes pretty fast at launch (used to fly alot in bf1) but here the planes are just boring and dogfighting is utter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. So unlesa you are into bombing infantry all day then i wouldnt bother. Infantry play is much more fun.
  • D4rthGinge
    187 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Im level 50 and still have yet to get a plane to level 1. I find it hard too. being outmaneuvered in a spitfire by a bomber really grates, but i just put it down to my poor skills in a plane! only thing i can suggest is to practice in the firing range (if planes are there?) or just hope for a map with poor pilots like me!
  • SirBobdk
    5318 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    If any of your on PC ad me and we can fly. Its easier to get started if you have a experienced wingman.
  • Smuk1337
    80 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    How I leveled all planes to max level in rapid succession.

Map: Fjell

Reason: 5-6 airplanes in air.

Fighters: Easy...dogfights and hunting down bombers. Spitfire VA is incredible since lvl 1 (8x mgs, shreds everything in matter of seconds), ME G6 awesome at lvl 2 (explosive ammo)

Bombers: Sneaky flying around, checking on the map which flag is being taken, bomb it. Multi kills guaranteed.

Of course you need some pilot sense....so you are not getting wrecked by each enemy pilots that gets on your tail.

ps: Airplanes spawn 30 seconds after the round starts (conquest timer 44:30). So sit back, and wait for them to spawn
  • JinShepard
    CaptHotah wrote: »
    Have you bind the pitch-up to a button like E or SPACE? You won't stand a chance by flying only using the mouse...
    Fjell is bad for beginners. Too many planes and AA'a. Start with Twisted steeel, Hamada (even thou visibility is bad from the heat) or Narvik.
    Get used to look behind you alot (from 3rd or 1st person view) to check your surroundings and infantry/tanks on the ground.
    When you chasing bombers or stuka/mosquito DO NOT try to take it down in one go. Shoot him and as soon as he switches to his back gunner disangage, do a 360 and come back at it, by that time he would have switched to driver seat again to try an repair. Shoot him again and repeat. Eventually he will go down.
    You can also try the Practice Range. The AI doesnt shoot back but its still ok for practice.
    I lvl'd up the fighter planes pretty fast at launch (used to fly alot in bf1) but here the planes are just boring and dogfighting is utter ****. So unlesa you are into bombing infantry all day then i wouldnt bother. Infantry play is much more fun.

I did change the pitch up to spacebar, aircraft sensitivity down from 150% to 125% but I think it needs to be lower.
    You suggest to break off when a bomber changes seat, but how come they can shoot me down quick enough that changing seat doesnt even matter, I dont get a shot off because iam already dead, yet visa versa, me doing it to them, they do get the chance. (I do break off then)
    If any of your on PC ad me and we can fly. Its easier to get started if you have a experienced wingman.

I will see how this works! Thanks!

• Smuk1337
    edited January 2019
    How I leveled all planes to max level in rapid succession.

Map: Fjell

Reason: 5-6 airplanes in air.

Fighters: Easy...dogfights and hunting down bombers. Spitfire VA is incredible since lvl 1 (8x mgs, shreds everything in matter of seconds), ME G6 awesome at lvl 2 (explosive ammo)

Bombers: Sneaky flying around, checking on the map which flag is being taken, bomb it. Multi kills guaranteed.

Of course you need some pilot sense....so you are not getting wrecked by each enemy pilots that gets on your tail.

I'm afraid wingman is quite useless here. Saw a spitfire defending bleinheim. Took them both before they figure it out whats going on.

But having 2 fighters focusing the same target, well....that is a bit game changer, but still can be out manuevered

ps: Airplanes spawn 30 seconds after the round starts (conquest timer 44:30). So sit back, and wait for them to spawn

• SirBobdk
    5318 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @Smuk1337 wrote
    I'm afraid wingman is quite useless here. Saw a spitfire defending bleinheim. Took them both before they figure it out whats going on.
    Depends on the pilots imo. But an experienced pilot looking after you while learning is better than none.
  • Zviko0
    1718 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The first and most important thing you should do is look around. When you see a plane, don't go straight to it and try to shoot it down especially if it's a bomber. They are no danger to you. Find a fighter first. And when you find a fighter, try to find the other one. If the other one is bomber then go for the fighter. If the other one is fighter, make sure he doesn't get on your tail. You have to pick your fights and not just fire at the first plane you see.

When you finally find your target and you are sure that you aren't in danger by the other one, get on his tail as close as possible and wait till he turns. Don't shoot before he turns. It's much easier to hit when you are both turning and you can go full auto knowing you will hit everything. If you shoot before they turn, target is smaller and you will overheat and won't have anything to shoot with when they make themselves bigger by turning. When you get used to your aim, you'll shoot them down before they turn 180.
  • Smuk1337
    Depends on the pilots imo. But an experienced pilot looking after you while learning is better than none.

In theory yes.
    In battlefield no.

If battlefield tracker statistics are legit, I am < 1% of top pilot aces.

If I would fly behind you and watch you what you do and analyze you via team speak, its quite hard. Now if you would get an enemy on tail and me trying to save you, would be hard aswell, since of the flight pattern, speed, etc....

Easiest way to learn how to play is basicly thinking and planning what are you gonna do and know some basics manuevers.

According to basics of real dog fighting. The winner in the most cases is the one that has the most energy.

If you know the basic law's of thermodynamics, the energy can only be converted. So basicly, you need to convert potential energy into kinetic and vice versa.

Ofcourse this is battlefield, where there is no G-force and steep turns do not break off your wings, so its more a theory. But jet again, having a greater potential energy is better.

When you get an enemy airplane on your tail.

Proceed with turning into one direction, but do not circle. Enemy for sure will think that you will do the circling....

Once you manage to get him, out of sight (so basicly he doesn't see where you are) do the immelman manuever (most basic manuever). Pitch into sky, and then roll.

So basicly with immelman you change the direction of flight and gain on the potential energy. From there on, you have the advantage
  • Tony-yingc
    82 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    All the aircraft class need rebuild. some class (spitfire vb and stuka ) are almost impossible to upgrade, especially for new players.
  • Smuk1337
    edited January 2019
    Tony-yingc wrote: »
    are almost impossible to upgrade, especially for new players.

Me myself started to play battlefield in early december. So its not impossible for new players.

All the aircraft class need rebuild. some class (spitfire vb and stuka ) are almost impossible to upgrade, especially for new players.

Thats not true. Fjell is really a great farming map for all planes, no matter of level.

Even tho, I have seen a lot of times that people are saying, do not upgrade stuka B2 land mines on level 3, as they are swapped with bombs, and its a huge pain in the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, to get level 4 for BK37.

I did exactly that, and I had the exact same opinion on how I screwed up. But then, I gave it a try... Hamada + Arras....easy kills with the mines.

Arras:

Dropped mines around fields (F and C if i stand correctly)... Random kills of armors/transports.

Hamada:

Dropped mines around A, B, C, D (Depend on the enemy movement). Random kills of armors/transports.

Got it to lvl 4 without any nerve wrecking grinding.

• SirBobdk
    @Smuk1337 wrote
    In theory yes.
    In battlefield no.
    Anyone can take a fighter and shoot down a bomber, but most PC players are really not good pilots.
    One good fighter pilot can keep the skies free from enemy fighters.
  • TheSacar
    1005 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Smuk1337 wrote: »

A wingman may not always be able to save you, but in the long run having a wingman is still a game changer. Two cooperating pilots beat 99% of all other Battlefield pilots, especially when said cooperation is done via team speak or similar communication solutions.
    A wingman that has some awareness of what his buddy will do when trying to shake a bogey will probably be able to kill said bogey before he manages to kill the buddy. And a pilot who has a wingman and can ask him to engage an enemy that is tailing him, only has to maneuver to stay alive long enough for the wingman to save him.
    There is no quicker way to empty out a server than having a four man fighter squad on Fjell ;-)
  • JinShepard
    @Smuk1337 wrote
    In theory yes.
    In battlefield no.
    Anyone can take a fighter and shoot down a bomber, but most PC players are really not good pilots.

Thats the issue I face, most of the time there is a ace pilot ( I play PC ) and he just hunts down, shoots me in my bomber in 5 seconds (rockets?) and thats it, no chance..
  • TheSacar
    1005 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    JinShepard wrote: »
    @Smuk1337 wrote
    In theory yes.
    In battlefield no.

Thats the issue I face, most of the time there is a ace pilot ( I play PC ) and he just hunts down, shoots me in my bomber in 5 seconds (rockets?) and thats it, no chance..

I also play PC. Please tell me where you keep finding ace pilots. Most rounds I play are rather boring as there is no meaningful competition in the skies....
  • Argus_leadhead
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I don't think they need a revamp personally. One thing I notice lots of pilots do is stay low constantly. For the most part, this is a pretty big mistake. It gives you less time to identify good targets on the ground due to your low angle of attack, and also gives an advantage to any opponents that are above you, They'll literally get the drop on you.

Now, I haven't personally levelled up the Stuka G-2, but the G-1 and Spitfire VB are my bread and butter. Usually I'll go into a steep climb as soon as I spawn and loiter at high altitude while looking out over my wing to find targets.

Once I find a suitable target, I'll go into a steep dive and cut my throttle. With a high angle of attack like this, it's fairly easy to spot infantry as well as adjust your aim to get easy kills with you guns. For the Stuka, I usually save the default bombs for hard targets like tanks or AA emplacements and just use my guns for soft targets.

For the VB, I'd recommend going for the dumb fire rockets. They'll usually disable a few parts on tanks in one pass, but lack the power to outright destroy a full health tank. The key here is to harass the tanks with your .50 cal guns after your rocket straife. They only do 1 or 2 damage usually, but it's enough to interrupt the tanks repair cycle.

I hope I explained that well enough. The learning curve is pretty steep but perseverance will pay off. It's infinitely easier to pull off if you've got someone spotting on the ground as well, but that can't be expected when playing with blueberries.

I'm always looking for other pilots to fly with on PC so feel free to add me. Argus_Leadhead or Argus Leadhead on Xbox
  • olavafar
    2261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'd have to know a lot about you to give any real advice. All I can say is to hang in there and keep trying. Getting to the upgrades is not requiring a lot of kills/points.
    For the basic aim training in fighter you can use the practice range.
  • Aircool_212
    764 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I use a gamepad to fly instead of mouse and keyboard, but I still get shot down very quickly. Kind of ironic and embarrassing as I studied adversary tactics in the air force. I know everything there is to know about air combat but can't fly for toast.
  • Hawxxeye
    7750 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    As someone who has leveled all the planes to 4, this is how I leveled up the most troublesome fighters (Spitfire VB and bf 109 G2 with wrong specs chosen).
    First of all you will want the squad leader to either order attacks on the bases that are about to be captured or defensive orders on bases that will last at least 1 min. the order bonuses give some extra xp, (200 per min for defensive orders)
    Also this might seem weird but even with a fighter I found I could get more points by making strafing runs at infantry and using the flares over enemy locations. Trying to dogfight better upgraded planes will more likely than not get you killed.
  • Smuk1337
    Kind of ironic and embarrassing as I studied adversary tactics in the air force. I know everything there is to know about air combat but can't fly for toast.

But keep in mind that this is battlefield.
    Where semi autos are fired as autos, where G-force doesn’t exist, where tank has same speed as cars, where turret traverse is better or equal to modern tanks.

There are players who enjoy hollywood war style (bf, cod) and real war/mil sim (arma, red orchestra)

Im pretty sure that there are rare battlefield aces who tried or play IL, warthunder (realism/sim mode) or my favourite DCS universe (which requires enormous knowledge of military and airplane mechanics, and its quite expensive with gear and pc master race to enjoy it fully)