Return jumping to how it used to be, vaulting is a sunk cost

0SiGHT0
419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
In every BF title since jumping was changed in Battlefield 3, the introduction of the vaulting system has consistently had issues. Let's face it, BFV has more bugs to do with vaulting, lunging, grabbing, etc. than any other previous game. It has been made apparent that there was a significant amount of time and effort put into vaulting in BFV, and yet it has arguably even more issues today than it did in BF3 or any other title in the franchise.

The bottom line is, vaulting takes away from fluid gameplay and introduces even more issues and unintended bugs that have continued to plague the Battlefield franchise for nearly a decade now. Nothing about vaulting improves the gameplay experience, and regular jumping worked without issue in the other BF games pre-BF3. In fact, Bad Company 2 had many instances where jumping would actually require some skill, suck as quickly maneuvering through a broken window to escape your enemy in a building.

It is tiresome to get caught on every little artifact when trying to walk, or pressing the jump/lunge button countless times to get past a small hill or rock. The feature in question has never been seamless there is no reason to believe it will ever become near flawless. In a game like BF with large maps and dynamic structures, jumping becomes a staple tool in a player's arsenal and its use is unavoidable. BF would be much better off returning to a regular jumping system, an easy fix for an endless problem spanning 5 titles now.

Comments

• trip1ex
    4131 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Agree. I would rather have simple and fluid and responsive instead of complicated, flakey and clunky for reasons such as the ones you mention.

Not sure vaulting was in bf3 tho was it? I mean I play bf4 every week or two and you can’t vault over a high fence like in bf1. Or is that considered climbing?

• 0SiGHT0
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex wrote: »
    Agree. I would rather have simple and fluid and responsive instead of complicated, flakey and clunky for reasons such as the ones you mention.

Not sure vaulting was in bf3 tho was it? I mean I play bf4 every week or two and you can’t vault over a high fence like in bf1. Or is that considered climbing?

Vaulting was introduced in Battlefield 3, and it was a miserable gimmick that got me killed more often than not. Unfortunately, they've continued to try and develop it and low and behold, it's still broken all these years later.
  • SirTerrible
    1331 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Why not make it so you have to double tap jump to vault, or at least add an option that enables that. Push jump once and you jump normally, press it twice and you vault.
  • fakemon64
    832 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Id rather remove jumping all together and only be allowed to vault.
  • 0SiGHT0
    There are some new vaulting "improvements" that are planned for one of the two January patches coming. You can view an example of these here from the DICE dev working on them:

Unfortunately, we have seen similar changes in previous BF games, and none of them have made vaulting flawless in its execution. On the other hand, jumping in pre-BF3 always worked as intended.
  • Argus_leadhead
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Why not make it so you have to double tap jump to vault, or at least add an option that enables that. Push jump once and you jump normally, press it twice and you vault.

Not sure about Xbox or ps4, but on PC there's actually separate key binds you can set for jump and vault. They're just combined by default.
  • 0SiGHT0

Not sure about Xbox or ps4, but on PC there's actually separate key binds you can set for jump and vault. They're just combined by default.

Obviously that isn't the issue, the jumping isn't high enough and when you want to vault it does not work properly at too many moments. With a near decade to develop this awful feature, it should have been perfected by now, to say the least.
  • fakemon64
    832 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    0SiGHT0 wrote: »

Obviously that isn't the issue, the jumping isn't high enough and when you want to vault it does not work properly at too many moments. With a near decade to develop this awful feature, it should have been perfected by now, to say the least.

I would hate to see players jumping around any higher than they do already. I get movement may be buggy at times for you but i can see that getting cheesy fast.
  • Argus_leadhead
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 11

If you read the post I was replying to, you'd see that my response was directed at sir_terrible and the specific idea he presented. Context, my friend. It helps.

A+ for effort though little buddy.

• SirTerrible
    1331 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Yeah not enough buttons on a controller to have 2 separate jump buttons, that's why I think the double tap option could work. Who knows maybe it'd still be bad, I'd need to try it to know for sure lol.
  • trip1ex
    4131 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited January 11

Vaulting was introduced in Battlefield 3, and it was a miserable gimmick that got me killed more often than not. Unfortunately, they've continued to try and develop it and low and behold, it's still broken all these years later.

I guess I associated vaulting with climbing tall walls. But you're right i watched some a vid and those annoying moments are coming back to me.

And now that I think about it, there's a stinking lame animation behind this problem lol. Man I hate those things.

• wiazabi
    400 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I guess I didn't noticed how bad it was until BF1 when you'd go prone when trying to get over a fence and when I got stuck trying to get over on even smaller rocks.

And now that I think about it, there's a stinking lame animation behind this problem lol. Man I hate those things.

Oh dear god i had totally forgotten about the prone thing in bf 1, that stuff made me feel completely defeated when it happened several times in a row.

Always feel the more control they take away from players the more annoying things can get as the community have no control over what or how they wanna do things ( no RSP yet and no mod support ) so you cant really get around it in any other way than to give feedback / complain.

But i agree they have been trying to make this vaulting work for a long long time now and it is still not working well, sometimes making things more complicated prevents players from doing what they wanna do.
  • 0SiGHT0
    edited January 12

If you read the post I was replying to, you'd see that my response was directed at sir_terrible and the specific idea he presented. Context, my friend. It helps.

What the hell are you talking about, I was directly replying to your response to his remark. Vaulting should be removed from the franchise period.
  • 0SiGHT0
    wiazabi wrote: »

I guess I didn't noticed how bad it was until BF1 when you'd go prone when trying to get over a fence and when I got stuck trying to get over on even smaller rocks.

Oh dear god i had totally forgotten about the prone thing in bf 1, that stuff made me feel completely defeated when it happened several times in a row.

Always feel the more control they take away from players the more annoying things can get as the community have no control over what or how they wanna do things ( no RSP yet and no mod support ) so you cant really get around it in any other way than to give feedback / complain.

But i agree they have been trying to make this vaulting work for a long long time now and it is still not working well, sometimes making things more complicated prevents players from doing what they wanna do.

Yes, this is a common trend with DICE the past 5 or so years. Take away nearly everything that the community and player base wants, while adding in all these new additions and features that no one wants or asked for. No wonder BF's sales are floundering, their community sentiment is at an all time low, and EA's stock price has been cut by more than half.
  • fakemon64

What the hell are you talking about, I was directly replying to your response to his remark. Vaulting should be removed from the franchise period.

And people should just be jumping clean over fences instead?
  • Pelliy
    1992 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 13
    I agree. I'm not a fan of the mechanic because the game isn't clean. If the designs were simple, I'd be okay with baking but they make it completed and the long animations need to go. The longer animations serve no game purpose and just there for cinematic BS. I shouldn't have to do a cart wheel when jumping off a building

BF is the only game to my knowledge of the popular shooter games that has this. Why is it in the game? Get rid of it.