Have any of you PS4 guys gotten used to the Tanks yet? Pls help

LankRich
100 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
To start, I'm not an amateur when it comes to using tanks in Battlefield, I'm quite effective at hurting people. But with that being said, I'm still not warming to the feel of Tanks in this game yet.

Every time a thread like this gets put up on the General Discussion page, it gets dominated by the PC community, who don't seem to struggle to use them..
So I was wondering if it's just me, or are tanks more challenging to use for console players?

I personally think that the control system used in the closed Alpha (The way it's always been since time began and there was no ******* need to change it), where the turret maintains its position with the crosshair, would have suited us console players a lot more.
The system now, where the turret catches up to where you're aiming, I think favors PC players, as it's much easier to control with a mouse than with analogue sticks.

Alternatively, a slower moving crosshair that matches the turning speed of the turret in my opinion, would have been better and fairer for players across all platforms.

I know how to use tanks, it's just that I can't at the moment. So if anyone considers themselves to be a beast of a tank driver, would they have any suggestions on how to get better or adapt to the control system?

Comments

• SAW_Viper420
    50 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Did you change the option that keeps the front of the tank forward for steering? I couldn't use the default control.

It Is different in 3rd person having turret catch up. But it lets you look around better. I'm getting used to it.
  • WrathOfTheRipper
    80 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Tank are a bit harder to use because of multiple reasons. There being no shortage of Assault players with panzerfaust and AT mines is one reason, the controls for steering the tank is another.

I find it easiest to use lighter to medium tanks to back up infantry players. You can no longer lead the charge, and instead have to stay a little further back until the infantry clears the area. Mostly tanks are there to get the attention of enemy players wanting that tank kill, and also to blast up makeshift pillboxes and enemy armor.

Tank can still be a threat on the map if they are commanded correctly.
  • Kongo030
    582 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I had to change the default setting as I'm used to tank sims and don't like not having control over the hull. Although I changed that setting sometimes the steering still isn't always as direct as it should be.
    The physics are a complete mess but that affects all platforms.
  • dA_9_eL_81
    1793 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    My findings until now with the tanks are:
    - stay away from the big tanks. They are waaay to slow and the armour alone doesnt justify the slow moving speed.

- Focus on the small & medium tanks. They are fairly faster and especially the Staghound is somewhat a LAV-clone from BF4. (Disclaimer: I havent used it much but I somewhat reminds me of the LAVs from BF4)

- The LMGs on the turrets are laseracurate and can mow down infantry faster than you can say A*hole. Make sure to lead your shots when firing at distant moving enemies.

- In return you have armour made out of cardboard-boxes. So when you have at least 2 assaultplayers having a go at you they win probably 10/10 times. So keep the tank moving.

-Dont camp out a spot. If you stay in a spot more the 45-60 seconds you are dead.

- Move the tank around between flags. I cap flags rarely while in a tank. Objectives are cluttered and provide way to many flanking oppotunities.

- It is especially between flags where I can get my killstreaks going. I catch squads by suprise because the tank-engines are so quite.

- If you get caught off-guard by Assaults that are flanking from behind there is only one thing to do: Pop smoke and back the frigde up.... Get your distance between your tank and the infy. At distance your LMG is superior compared to the poor potato-aim of most Assaults.

- Unfortunately the best thing is to stay close to the resupply-stations. Alway have in mind where the nearest one is situated for quick repairs. I´d say for every time I use the quickrepair I will go back to a station to resuply the quickrepair gadget. Without it you are pretty much doomed.
    ´
    My stats for the tanks are:
    Churcill MK VII is a 2,76 KPM
    Panzer IV a 4,67 KPM
  • Kongo030
    582 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    My KPM on the Staghound is 13.95 so yes significantly higher than the 6.90 on the Tiger but the Tiger is the Tiger....
    To be useful for the team make sure your MG can cover the objectives being capped or defended and you can clear a lot or keep a flank clean.
    Going back and forth to resupply with a Tiger is a pain the back so I prefer using it on Breakthrough as you move from sector to sector reaching supply depots.
    The main gun on the Tiger is to remove concealment, destroy buildings or create a dust cloud to cover the retreat :)
  • wc138
    1109 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 11
    Every thread in the forum about tanks are complaint threads. Even in the PC forums. Everyone thinks they were shoved in without any real concern for balance, like an afterthought for players accustomed to seeing them in game. Tanks have been greatly and intensely ruined by player complaints starting around BF3, so they're mostly paper tigers.

Patch is coming, though. Lots of things are going to change based on player complaints.
  • PrairieGeek
    338 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well the recommendations are pretty good and line up with history pretty well. The medium tanks were used more for infantry support. The heavy tanks were and should be considered more "mobile artillery". Which actually kind of sucks because a lot of the tank complaint is about camping tanks. Well that is what they did with the heavy tanks back then because they were so slow but they could fire a long distance for big damage.

That being said I am not old enough to remember but I cannot imagine that the heavy tanks were that slow in real life. I think the tanks being so slow is a primary cause of the camping. If you could respond and move quicker you could avoid more of the assault deaths. I play assault primarily and love blasting tanks. Perhaps they could add some unlockable perks for the tanks to upgrade their speed and maneuverability. Thereby giving incentive for players to level up and not just any noob can be a destructor with them like BF4. An unlockable perk for more splash damage would be cool too.
    But then of course tanks will get like planes where if you are low level and get in one the high level guys will destroy you as fast as a nuke bomb.
    it's 50/50 on getting right. You can't please all the people all the time. But you can **** off everyone in a quick hurry
  • blindsniper63
    2438 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Who the heck puts up stats on a tank/vehicles lol. Just keep them away from the BTS and you will be fine @PrairieGeek you love to destroy them just as much ias i do !
  • PrairieGeek
    338 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Vehicles are the easiest multi kill in the game
  • PrairieGeek
    Who the heck puts up stats on a tank/vehicles lol. Just keep them away from the BTS and you will be fine @PrairieGeek you love to destroy them just as much ias i do !
    I am still working on downing a plane with the panzerfaust. It's on my bucket list
  • dcs500
    1343 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    LankRich wrote: »
    The system now, where the turret catches up to where you're aiming, I think favors PC players, as it's much easier to control with a mouse than with analogue sticks.

Alternatively, a slower moving crosshair that matches the turning speed of the turret in my opinion, would have been better and fairer for players across all platforms.

Personally I only use 3rd person view to maneuvre, and use 1st person view to shoot. Shooting in 3rd person view doesn't really work in BFV tanks.

• Singe1989
    77 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Did you change the option that keeps the front of the tank forward for steering? I couldn't use the default control.

It Is different in 3rd person having turret catch up. But it lets you look around better. I'm getting used to it.

Which option is this exactly? Legacy driver stick controls?