DICE come out with battleroyal in feb and sales will soar

Comments

  • LithosMike
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well, they have an entirely different crew working on the Firestorm mode, so I don't know that resources were diverted from the core BF experience for the BR mode.
  • munkt0r
    3037 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    munkt0r wrote: »
    IllIllIII wrote: »
    Ah yes, the old "slap battle royale onto a poorly selling game and hope and pray ninja makes it popular" strategy. This couldn't possibly go wrong.

    Ninja didn’t make Fortnite popular, Fortnite made Ninja popular.

    Technically, free to play made Fortnite popular.

    If you remember, Fortnite was slated to be a mostly cooperative game of players against AI. The "Battle Royale" mode was a free to play tack-on. People tried it out in droves on the consoles simply because it was free to play and never bothered purchasing the core game itself.

    I know, I know...facts and all make things sloppy at times.

    I wonder how many people even know fortnite is actually a online coop game that cost 20 bucks.

    Almost none i'm sure as it was a failed project by EPIC games. I only know it because they diverted resources from the MOBA Paragon that I was playing and enjoying. A few friends and I decided to check out the title they were focusing on instead of Paragon called "Fortnite". We thought it was god awful during the open beta, and decided to not continue - but a tacked on free 2 play mode Battle Royale was added. It blew up very quickly as most of the console base was starved for a Battle Royale game as PUBG was not available on the PS4 at the time.

    H1Z1 and PUBG scrambled to get on the PS4, but it was too late - people were already very much ingrained in Fortnite.

    Then the micros/cosmetics started popping up like crazy in Fortnite as EPIC (fairly) realized they had a huge opportunity.

    I doubt almost anyone actually plays Fortnite the game, and instead just plays the Battle Royale mode - which technically...isn't even Fortnite.

    Even the game title "Fortnite" is about creating forts with your cooperative team to hold off a swarm of undead...but realistically it's a bunch of bunny-hopping ADHD kids using quick build macros and exceptionally poor gun mechanics to "own" eachother in a fantastical cartoon world.

  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1492 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Does anyone over 21 even get into that Battle Royale? I guess that's a sincere question.
  • munkt0r
    3037 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Does anyone over 21 even get into that Battle Royale? I guess that's a sincere question.

    I don't think age is really a factor from the perspective of the game mode itself - but Fortnite specifically does tend to appeal to a younger crowd from what i've seen.

    PUBG on the other hand seems to have a bit more varied playerbase. Such is anecdotal, obviously.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1492 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    munkt0r wrote: »
    Does anyone over 21 even get into that Battle Royale? I guess that's a sincere question.

    I don't think age is really a factor from the perspective of the game mode itself - but Fortnite specifically does tend to appeal to a younger crowd from what i've seen.

    PUBG on the other hand seems to have a bit more varied playerbase. Such is anecdotal, obviously.

    Well i was wondering, being the OP thinks it would sell like hotcakes, but if it's for kids, like those games you mentioned, idk. Pubg is about dead by now on Xbox ain't it? And apparently, BO4 ain't doing too well either. I think that BR was just a Fortnite thing, and that's as far as that fad may go. But who knows.
  • Loki_Deezie
    872 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    munkt0r wrote: »
    Does anyone over 21 even get into that Battle Royale? I guess that's a sincere question.

    I don't think age is really a factor from the perspective of the game mode itself - but Fortnite specifically does tend to appeal to a younger crowd from what i've seen.

    PUBG on the other hand seems to have a bit more varied playerbase. Such is anecdotal, obviously.

    Well i was wondering, being the OP thinks it would sell like hotcakes, but if it's for kids, like those games you mentioned, idk. Pubg is about dead by now on Xbox ain't it? And apparently, BO4 ain't doing too well either. I think that BR was just a Fortnite thing, and that's as far as that fad may go. But who knows.

    I think the issue is br games cant sustain themselves aside from fortnite which is because kids buy cosmetics with their lunch money. But most br games I see either arent long lasting like pubg and blackout.

    I can see more developers making a br mode for their games just because it helps sell but doesnt last long.

    Just for giggles tried to play a blackout game the other night. Took over 3 minutes to start a game where when the game first came out it took less than 20 seconds.
  • EdwinSpangler
    1792 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    rifle77 wrote: »
    As long as I can play as a female with a sassy British voice, a pegleg, and an eyepatch, it's gonna be a hit.

    What!? No claw?
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1492 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    munkt0r wrote: »
    Does anyone over 21 even get into that Battle Royale? I guess that's a sincere question.

    I don't think age is really a factor from the perspective of the game mode itself - but Fortnite specifically does tend to appeal to a younger crowd from what i've seen.

    PUBG on the other hand seems to have a bit more varied playerbase. Such is anecdotal, obviously.

    Well i was wondering, being the OP thinks it would sell like hotcakes, but if it's for kids, like those games you mentioned, idk. Pubg is about dead by now on Xbox ain't it? And apparently, BO4 ain't doing too well either. I think that BR was just a Fortnite thing, and that's as far as that fad may go. But who knows.

    I think the issue is br games cant sustain themselves aside from fortnite which is because kids buy cosmetics with their lunch money. But most br games I see either arent long lasting like pubg and blackout.

    I can see more developers making a br mode for their games just because it helps sell but doesnt last long.

    Just for giggles tried to play a blackout game the other night. Took over 3 minutes to start a game where when the game first came out it took less than 20 seconds.

    Right, i tried the Pubg free trial thing, and i spawned almost naked, and just seemed like a ridiculous game, so i just uninstalled it. But it's a matter i really don't know much about, so i really should stay away from this topic.
  • LithosMike
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So, I'm 31. I played PUBG for almost 2 years. I tried Fortnite, but the cartoon aesthetics, building, and poor gun play are not interesting to me personally. I've been playing Blackout since that was launched, but everyone I play Blackout with is getting very bored of it. CoD hasn't changed much with their BR, and it has quickly stagnated.

    BRs in general are still new. I don't think they're a fad that will go away. I think it's the same as Capture the Flag or Team Death Match. It's a multiplayer game mode that will find its way into FPS games for years and years. The mode really is in its infancy. With AAA developers like DICE (I forgot the actual development team working on Firestorm, I know it's not DICE), they can bring a lot of creativity to the mode.

    I'm really looking forward to Firestorm. I'm also really looking forward to some teasers and information on it.... the lack of marketing for the mode has me worried.

  • Loki_Deezie
    872 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    LithosMike wrote: »
    So, I'm 31. I played PUBG for almost 2 years. I tried Fortnite, but the cartoon aesthetics, building, and poor gun play are not interesting to me personally. I've been playing Blackout since that was launched, but everyone I play Blackout with is getting very bored of it. CoD hasn't changed much with their BR, and it has quickly stagnated.

    BRs in general are still new. I don't think they're a fad that will go away. I think it's the same as Capture the Flag or Team Death Match. It's a multiplayer game mode that will find its way into FPS games for years and years. The mode really is in its infancy. With AAA developers like DICE (I forgot the actual development team working on Firestorm, I know it's not DICE), they can bring a lot of creativity to the mode.

    I'm really looking forward to Firestorm. I'm also really looking forward to some teasers and information on it.... the lack of marketing for the mode has me worried.

    I'm pretty sure its visceral (sp) that's doing it but cant be for certain.
  • IllIllIII
    4245 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    munkt0r wrote: »
    IllIllIII wrote: »
    Ah yes, the old "slap battle royale onto a poorly selling game and hope and pray ninja makes it popular" strategy. This couldn't possibly go wrong.

    Ninja didn’t make Fortnite popular, Fortnite made Ninja popular.

    Technically, free to play made Fortnite popular.

    If you remember, Fortnite was slated to be a mostly cooperative game of players against AI. The "Battle Royale" mode was a free to play tack-on. People tried it out in droves on the consoles simply because it was free to play and never bothered purchasing the core game itself.

    I know, I know...facts and all make things sloppy at times.

    Technically there are thousands of games free to play.
    Never has free to play game this popular and probably never anothe game will be.
    It’s a great concept.

    None plays a game because its free, they play it because they like it.
    $300.000.000 a month income.. not bad for a free game that is only be played by children...

    Black out would have died as fast even if it was free.
    If fire storm succeeds to bring something new they have a chance... and i hope they do.
  • warslag
    1594 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I'm hoping Firestorm will make BFV a must-have game.

    I'm also hoping that it's going to be a quality game mode with a lot of development invested into it. Not just 'Squad Deathmatch', a game mode which I played a lot in past Battlefield games. It has to be something really epic.
  • AviG306
    56 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    LithosMike wrote: »
    So, I'm 31. I played PUBG for almost 2 years. I tried Fortnite, but the cartoon aesthetics, building, and poor gun play are not interesting to me personally. I've been playing Blackout since that was launched, but everyone I play Blackout with is getting very bored of it. CoD hasn't changed much with their BR, and it has quickly stagnated.

    BRs in general are still new. I don't think they're a fad that will go away. I think it's the same as Capture the Flag or Team Death Match. It's a multiplayer game mode that will find its way into FPS games for years and years. The mode really is in its infancy. With AAA developers like DICE (I forgot the actual development team working on Firestorm, I know it's not DICE), they can bring a lot of creativity to the mode.

    I'm really looking forward to Firestorm. I'm also really looking forward to some teasers and information on it.... the lack of marketing for the mode has me worried.

    Exactly. And Criterion Games making Firestorm. They also made/making other modes for bf1 and bfv.
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 12
    LithosMike wrote: »
    So, I'm 31. I played PUBG for almost 2 years. I tried Fortnite, but the cartoon aesthetics, building, and poor gun play are not interesting to me personally. I've been playing Blackout since that was launched, but everyone I play Blackout with is getting very bored of it. CoD hasn't changed much with their BR, and it has quickly stagnated.

    BRs in general are still new. I don't think they're a fad that will go away. I think it's the same as Capture the Flag or Team Death Match. It's a multiplayer game mode that will find its way into FPS games for years and years. The mode really is in its infancy. With AAA developers like DICE (I forgot the actual development team working on Firestorm, I know it's not DICE), they can bring a lot of creativity to the mode.

    I'm really looking forward to Firestorm. I'm also really looking forward to some teasers and information on it.... the lack of marketing for the mode has me worried.

    Triple AAA Developers and Creativity is a Paradoxon. The Games created by them go only for the safe zone, no real experiments there. Publishers and their Shareholders dont like experiments and creativity.
    Post edited by Stahlmach on
  • AviG306
    56 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Stahlmach wrote: »
    LithosMike wrote: »
    So, I'm 31. I played PUBG for almost 2 years. I tried Fortnite, but the cartoon aesthetics, building, and poor gun play are not interesting to me personally. I've been playing Blackout since that was launched, but everyone I play Blackout with is getting very bored of it. CoD hasn't changed much with their BR, and it has quickly stagnated.

    BRs in general are still new. I don't think they're a fad that will go away. I think it's the same as Capture the Flag or Team Death Match. It's a multiplayer game mode that will find its way into FPS games for years and years. The mode really is in its infancy. With AAA developers like DICE (I forgot the actual development team working on Firestorm, I know it's not DICE), they can bring a lot of creativity to the mode.

    I'm really looking forward to Firestorm. I'm also really looking forward to some teasers and information on it.... the lack of marketing for the mode has me worried.

    Triple AA Developers and Creativity is a Paradoxon. The Games created by them go only for the safe zone, no real experiments there. Publishers and their Shareholders dont like experiments and creativity.

    You say that only because BF?
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    AviG306 wrote: »
    Stahlmach wrote: »
    LithosMike wrote: »
    So, I'm 31. I played PUBG for almost 2 years. I tried Fortnite, but the cartoon aesthetics, building, and poor gun play are not interesting to me personally. I've been playing Blackout since that was launched, but everyone I play Blackout with is getting very bored of it. CoD hasn't changed much with their BR, and it has quickly stagnated.

    BRs in general are still new. I don't think they're a fad that will go away. I think it's the same as Capture the Flag or Team Death Match. It's a multiplayer game mode that will find its way into FPS games for years and years. The mode really is in its infancy. With AAA developers like DICE (I forgot the actual development team working on Firestorm, I know it's not DICE), they can bring a lot of creativity to the mode.

    I'm really looking forward to Firestorm. I'm also really looking forward to some teasers and information on it.... the lack of marketing for the mode has me worried.

    Triple AA Developers and Creativity is a Paradoxon. The Games created by them go only for the safe zone, no real experiments there. Publishers and their Shareholders dont like experiments and creativity.

    You say that only because BF?

    No in general. With rare exceptions like CD Project. But the bigger the game, the more conservative it goes. Especially with Publishers like EA behind.
  • IllIllIII
    4245 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    munkt0r wrote: »
    Does anyone over 21 even get into that Battle Royale? I guess that's a sincere question.

    I don't think age is really a factor from the perspective of the game mode itself - but Fortnite specifically does tend to appeal to a younger crowd from what i've seen.

    PUBG on the other hand seems to have a bit more varied playerbase. Such is anecdotal, obviously.

    Maybe because of the gore and blood?
    Pubg is 17+
    Fortnite is 12+...
  • SendTheInfantry
    788 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Dice if you guys come out with your take on Battle royal its guaranteed to get you guys a ton of sales. People are already tired of blackout and already going back to PUBG and Fortnite. I guarantee if you guys do this it will be a hit, get the big twitch streamers to stream and there is guranteed some new sales . keep your head up fellas

    With the current easymode weaponmechanics in this game? It wont attract that big of a playerbase. It's too arcade.
  • AviG306
    56 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Dice if you guys come out with your take on Battle royal its guaranteed to get you guys a ton of sales. People are already tired of blackout and already going back to PUBG and Fortnite. I guarantee if you guys do this it will be a hit, get the big twitch streamers to stream and there is guranteed some new sales . keep your head up fellas

    With the current easymode weaponmechanics in this game? It wont attract that big of a playerbase. It's too arcade.

    Blackout way worst and ppl playing it.
  • Noromiz
    291 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well, if they allow people to buy a "Firestorm standalone" for roughly half the price of a full BFV and they allow people to play solo, then it will probably be decently successful.
    If nothing else because it will be the only "WWII themed Battle Royale".
Sign In or Register to comment.