Why is Battlefield 2 considered the best? Why is bf5 considered going back to battlefield 2 roots?

Comments

• DCSTomcat
    1055 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex wrote: »
    DCSTomcat wrote: »
    Only thing great abut BF2 was vehicular combat. Gun play was terrible, you couldn't hit anything unless you go prone or single fire.

Yeah guns weren’t quick scope laser beams you mean. No wonder it is beloved.
    No, that's not what I meant. You obviously haven't played BF2. You have to drop to floor and prone to get kills in that game. You could go full clip point blank and not hit the target if you're not prone. 2142 changed that to couch, no longer need to prone.
  • joshualee585900
    87 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Only thing great abut BF2 was vehicular combat. Gun play was terrible, you couldn't hit anything unless you go prone or single fire.

No, that's not what I meant. You obviously haven't played BF2. You have to drop to floor and prone to get kills in that game. You could go full clip point blank and not hit the target if you're not prone. 2142 changed that to couch, no longer need to prone.

Of my limited time playing bf2 had insane spread .youtubers say about "random bullet devaition" they would cry playing bf2 . The spread in battlefield 2 was 3x worse than bf1 pre ttk 2.0 values to me
  • trip1ex
    4694 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Nonsense. Of course it is what you meant.

• Bendis91
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BF 2 was awesome! it was great! Give that BF2 feeling back! Now it doesn't feel like a Battlefield anymore, if really doesn't. It feels like a call of **** duty. Well **** that guys, I don't want that!
  • DCSTomcat
    1055 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 13
    BF2 was awesome for vehicles especially jets dropping bombs and get 200 kills per game. Ever wondered why dumb bombs were removed in BF3 and 4? BFV went back to this root but air was nerfed LOL.
  • johnojohnson
    527 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Thats not true , i played maybe 1000 hrs or more, People started dolphin dive as a tactic but eventually it was nerfed, yes in BF2 if you went full auto at range large spread but that is how it should be , you needed to tap fire in those situations , on main topic I dont see much resemblance between the two , BF2 was awesome , large maps , runways, true squad play, great commander mode, cool air both planes and choppers , great map design no real bottle necks , AA place everywhere in random places to fair things up, it is a pity they diverted away from it as that game with frostbite engine would dominate the market imo
  • SumwhatKrazy
    555 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    For me BF2 was the best and BFV is one of the ones i have liked least. I think nostalgia and even just age and growing out of things/getting bored of things may very well play at least some part, i mean back then i was younger and had several RL friends to play with and was in a really cool and fun clan, plus i was still fairly new to PC and on line gaming.
    However, BF2 really was miles better than what the franchise has become. Everything from map design, map size, class balance(although Assault was probably the weakest class back then lol), the height of the ceiling for pilots, good variation of vehicle maps and more infantry friendly ones but no infantry only except for custom servers, etc.
    I will admit, i was mostly an infantry player back then so it dose make it kind of funny that i criticise BFV for a lack of vehicles and smaller maps and going more like COD, etc. But our clan had pilots and tankers and etc so everyone played their role in the clan matches. And i started using vehicles a lot more in later BF titles.
    I guess its kind of funny as well that i dont like how "hardcore" BFV feels even though BF2 was a lot more hardcore than say BC2. BC2 is when things started to change. Yeah the introduction of the destructible environment was awesome and ground breaking, but they changed things like no prone, can spawn on any team mate rather than just squad leader, smaller maps, etc.

Anyway, BF2 was almost perfect. Yeah the hit reg wasn't the greatest but i did not have to go prone to get a kill, ludicrous statement. There was one patch they released which stuffed teh game up for a few months (or at least a month) but the game was near perfect, for its time.
    I guess as well i'd only ever played on line fps games where it was team death match or all on all, never before had i seen squads and commanders and vehicles.

I'll end buy saying that BFV dose not feel like BF2 to me all all. Except for maps like Hamada (which sucks because not enough vehicles) and the new map (panzerstrom i think its called?).
  • Pelliy
    2228 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It is nostalgia. If bf2 remastered came out, most people would not play it and it will sell worse than bfv.

Just my opinion.

I'm not a fan of hardcore elements in my game. Bf has a lot of lazy players and players that actually do well are punished to hold them back. They don't like "one man armies" as they call it.
  • smokintom214
    1794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    I wouldn't say BF5 is going back to the roots of BF2 specifically, rather its going more toward the roots of the franchise than the past 4-5 titles have.

This is because of many things, like lack of 3d and 2d spotting, lack of suppression, limited ammo in vehicles, ammo resupply stations, ability to drop in supplies, etc.

Or even things as small as tank gunners being exposed, compared to BF3, BF4, and BF1 where tank gunners were fully covered.

It gives BF5 an older feeling experience that many aren't used to because they didn't start playing until BC2/BF3 or later. Which is why we see so many complaints about camping or not being able to see enemies, even though imo the experience is pretty similar to refractor-era BF.

This.

I'm surprised how many of you are saying this is nothing like Battlefield 2. It's A LOT like the older Battlefield games because it rids itself of so many of the crutches that were introduced from Bad Company 2 onwards (on PC).

The only thing I wish DICE brought back is Commander mode. They did it in BF4, then just ditched it for whatever reason. The squad call-ins are OK, but I'd still prefer having a single commander overseeing the battlefield. Plus, it was always fun as hell sabotaging commander assets in BF2 to restrict enemy commanders from using artillery, UAV scans, etc. I miss how much depth commander mode brought to the game.

Commander mode in 2142 was a blast

That Titan mode was on point, best mode in the series. I heard David sirland or how ever his name goes talk about bringing it back into BFV. Conquest style mode using artillery to weaken a building that is almost indestructible. The buildings however as he talked were or still are something that existed during WW2.
  • Loqtrall
    12020 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Just wanted to drop this in here for all the people claiming gunplay in BF2 was more "difficult" or whatever:

• SirTerrible
    1692 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BFV is the furthest from BF2 yet if we exclude Hardline and the Bad Company games. Never got the "back to its roots" BS.
  • Loqtrall
    12020 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BFV is the furthest from BF2 yet if we exclude Hardline and the Bad Company games. Never got the "back to its roots" BS.

Lol in terms of gameplay it's the closest we've had since BC2. BC2 was when the franchise started getting wholly new features that fundamentally changed how the game was played. Things like active 3d spotting, massive bullet drop, destruction, suppression, a focus on smaller game modes like Rush, vehicles with unlimited ammo, etc.

BF5 is a LOT MORE like BF2 in regards to mechanics and design like stated above than the last 4 or 5 BF titles have been.
  • crixus82
    134 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I personally thought bf2 was quite mediocre
  • 0ld_yell0w
    406 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Pelliy wrote: »
    It is nostalgia. If bf2 remastered came out, most people would not play it and it will sell worse than bfv.

Just my opinion.

I'm not a fan of hardcore elements in my game. Bf has a lot of lazy players and players that actually do well are punished to hold them back. They don't like "one man armies" as they call it.

I think youre wrong, IF we got BF2 remastered, with same mechanics (no stupid skills/specializations) but all the same maps, which IMO
    was the best maps ever in any BF-game ever, no. 2 would be BF vietnam but I doubt they would remake that one for various (political) reasons. I know a load of players that would buy it instantly if we got:

All the original maps.
    Rented servers with plugins settings
    Same rankingsystem as BF2 (medals and ranks and all).

Heck, I would even buy 2 !
  • gibonez
    296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BF5 should have gone to its roots.
    I miss BF2 maps and how expansive and fun they were.
    Objectives did not feel cramped right next to each other.
    Vehicles spawned on bases and it took time to get to an objective.
    People did not immediately zerg to the next objective after a hard capture.

• SirTerrible
    1692 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Lol in terms of gameplay it's the closest we've had since BC2. BC2 was when the franchise started getting wholly new features that fundamentally changed how the game was played. Things like active 3d spotting, massive bullet drop, destruction, suppression, a focus on smaller game modes like Rush, vehicles with unlimited ammo, etc.

BF5 is a LOT MORE like BF2 in regards to mechanics and design like stated above than the last 4 or 5 BF titles have been.

Gunplay, map flow/map design, player movement, upgrades/unlocks, class balance, vehicle balance, player visibility, etc are all further from the BF2 design than in any previous mainline Battlefield. The more limited spotting in BFV is the only real change that brought it closer to BF2, most of the other changes just made it even more different. The style of play required to do well in BF2 does not translate to BFV whatsoever.
  • Loqtrall

Gunplay, map flow/map design, player movement, upgrades/unlocks, class balance, vehicle balance, player visibility, etc are all further from the BF2 design than in any previous mainline Battlefield. The more limited spotting in BFV is the only real change that brought it closer to BF2, most of the other changes just made it even more different. The style of play required to do well in BF2 does not translate to BFV whatsoever.

Lol how so?

BF4s gun balance was completely different. It was the sole BF game to contain multiple categories of all kit weapons. It's vehicles were faster than BF2, had unlimited ammo, had thermal optics. It had full health regen, 3d and 2d spotting, suppression that negatively affected accuracy, full squad spawn, etc, the list goes on and on.

In comparison BF5 lacks spotting, lacks suppression, has vehicles with limited ammo that are more in line with vehicles in older titles, no all kit weapons, limited health regen, rifles with no OHK sweet spot or ridiculous scope magnification, gunplay with an emphasis on recoil control and tap firing, etc, again the list goes on.

This is about BF5 returning to the old roots of the franchise, not BF5 being a remade clone of BF2. It's objectively closer to the style of gameplay we saw in BF2 than what BC1, BC2, BF3, BF4, BFH, or BF1 offered.

I played BF2 from the day it came out until the day EA shut down the revive project over a year ago now. It was the sole game I still played on PC. Your claims that skills won't translate from that game to this game or vice versa are totally bogus.
  • SOULJ4R
    220 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Still waiting for the true follow up to the king of BF which was BF2. Been playing since 1942 and these mismash of every other game concepts aimed at casuals just don't come anywhere near it.
  • joshualee585900
    87 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 13

Lol how so?

BF4s gun balance was completely different. It was the sole BF game to contain multiple categories of all kit weapons. It's vehicles were faster than BF2, had unlimited ammo, had thermal optics. It had full health regen, 3d and 2d spotting, suppression that negatively affected accuracy, full squad spawn, etc, the list goes on and on.

In comparison BF5 lacks spotting, lacks suppression, has vehicles with limited ammo that are more in line with vehicles in older titles, no all kit weapons, limited health regen, rifles with no OHK sweet spot or ridiculous scope magnification, gunplay with an emphasis on recoil control and tap firing, etc, again the list goes on.

This is about BF5 returning to the old roots of the franchise, not BF5 being a remade clone of BF2. It's objectively closer to the style of gameplay we saw in BF2 than what BC1, BC2, BF3, BF4, BFH, or BF1 offered.

I played BF2 from the day it came out until the day EA shut down the revive project over a year ago now. It was the sole game I still played on PC. Your claims that skills won't translate from that game to this game or vice versa are totally bogus.
    Double post
  • joshualee585900

Lol how so?

Why did ea shut off revive battlefield 2 . I never understood that decision