No Fidelity: Latest patch amplifies this (literally)

Triplexbee1943
20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Problem: You can't really get a sense of where the footsteps are coming from.

Solution: Turn the footsteps volume up to 11.

Result: Where the hell are those loud footsteps coming from?

PMSL when within the first 20 seconds of my first game since DL the patch I heard the screaming (turned up to 11) Stuka.

This kinda sums up the way BF has been heading for a little while, it's no longer a product that Dice devs have put heart and soul into, it is instead a product that needs to be assembled and shipped out at the earliest it can be gotten away with. Gotta please those shareholders right? The title of this post is no fidelity and that rings true across any part of the game you point a magnifying glass at. UI, animations, audio, netcode, the list is endless.

We will be drip fed new content over the coming weeks and months and I think this is a great way to distract us from the problems this game has and in my opinion, will always have.

Comments

• OldSkoolzFinest
    471 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I just played 3 matches on my Xbox one x and was thinking the same damn thing.
    I wanted the accuracy of the enemies footsteps fixed and the occasional no sound at all fixed but no, they turn the footstep volume way too high and now I hear everyone's (friendly and foe) footsteps everywhere.
    Can't even tell where they're coming from unless it's one player and only me in that area.
    Bf1 had the sound accuracy perfected, I just don't understand how they can't copy that system.
  • Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BFV comes out: "Jezus DICE, footsteps are waaaaay too quiet, ruins the game"

DICE adjusts the audio, footsteps now much easier to detect: "OMG, why so loud DICE? Too much"

I mean, what do you actually want? People get pissy and throws accusations that DICE has checked out and has "abandoned" the game, and then when DICE actually does work on things, people are still pissy.
  • SirTerrible
    1630 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I would say that directional audio isn't great right now but simply knowing there are enemies somewhere beats the heck out of having no idea and getting completely surprised. It's a positive change 100%, at least for me. Probably the single best fix we've seen yet.
  • Ploodovic
    1642 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I use normal stereo speakers for my TV, and have no problem pinpointing where footsteps originate from. Is it some problem with surround sound settings?

I mostly heard them before this patch as well, but it is much more clear now. A good change, well done.
  • OldSkoolzFinest
    471 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    BFV comes out: "Jezus DICE, footsteps are waaaaay too quiet, ruins the game"

DICE adjusts the audio, footsteps now much easier to detect: "OMG, why so loud DICE? Too much"

I mean, what do you actually want? People get pissy and throws accusations that DICE has checked out and has "abandoned" the game, and then when DICE actually does work on things, people are still pissy.

Normally I would agree with this statement BUT sometimes it's justified if something is done overboard.
    I can now hear someone 30 feet away ,which means if you're on an objective with a bunch of friendly's and Enemies who all sound equally the same it will be overwhelming.......especially since the accuracy of the footsteps (on console) has not been fixed.
    All they did was turn them up 10 fold without fixing sound location.

I can put in BF1 or any other shooter and can tell if the enemy is below, above, in back or to my left or to the right of me. It's not working like that at the moment in this game.
  • spartanx169x
    694 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I really don’t understand how the sound can be so good in BF1 and so bad in BF V. Did they change sound software, why is it so bad it was not an issue one single time in BF1.
  • maskedocelot
    144 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I had no problem with it before the patch but I understand them making it louder if people did. The direction and distance is what's messed me up.
  • trip1ex
    4641 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah in the older games the sounds were a lot easier to distinguish from each other. I can only think it is because it was all much simpler.
  • OldSkoolzFinest
    I really don’t understand how the sound can be so good in BF1 and so bad in BF V. Did they change sound software, why is it so bad it was not an issue one single time in BF1.

This is exactly what I want to know. It's mind boggling.
  • OldSkoolzFinest
    Ploodovic wrote: »
    I use normal stereo speakers for my TV, and have no problem pinpointing where footsteps originate from. Is it some problem with surround sound settings?

I mostly heard them before this patch as well, but it is much more clear now. A good change, well done.

I use Audiophile headphones with a nice setup that can detect a mouse fart and the direction it came from with extreme accuracy.
    I've been playing my Shooters like that for years which is why I know when the audio in a game is not up to par.
  • AshkaliN
    282 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I use Audiophile headphones with a nice setup that can detect a mouse fart and the direction it came from with extreme accuracy.
    I've been playing my Shooters like that for years which is why I know when the audio in a game is not up to par.

Same here. And it's like the sound of the footsteps radius is too big and not gradual. I miss BF1 audio tbh i could say it was perfect...
  • 0SiGHT0
    455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The sound was never the problem, it was the direction that they were coming from was impossible to ascertain
  • Triplexbee1943
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    AshkaliN wrote: »

Same here. And it's like the sound of the footsteps radius is too big and not gradual. I miss BF1 audio tbh i could say it was perfect...

No care or attention to detail in a lot of the game sadly. My guess is a lot of the 'busy work' on the coding front was contracted out on the cheap.
  • warslag
    1366 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    It's probably deliberate to counter certain types of gameplay not least of which would be 'sneaking around, listening out for and then killing other players'.
  • Ploodovic
    1642 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

AshkaliN wrote: »

0SiGHT0 wrote: »
    The sound was never the problem, it was the direction that they were coming from was impossible to ascertain

Out of curiosity, what “sound preset” do you use?
  • Woolf2001
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bf has just become a **** dumb michael bay movie... with "death experience" provided by dice
  • full951
    2405 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    the footsteps in battlefield have always had issues. when they get it right it works great. what's confusing is they seem to forget how their own game works every title and we go thru these painful tweeks to get it right
  • DigitalHype
    734 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    One thing DICE said in some DEV talks was that they did thier own custom positional audio this time. They tried to spin it as "you don't need special headphones". (e.g. they don't need dolby or other encoding support, like they had with BFV and the logitech g930 headphones.
    -
    My bet is that that this is yet another "cost saving" measure by EA, to prevent them from having to pay dolby licensing fees. And, its resulting in some fairly awful sound mixing.
  • SirTerrible
    1630 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 15
    Just played a round on Devastation where I was continuously stopping flanks because I could hear the enemy through the walls/rubble like 20m away lol. Even heard a few people set up shop in prone along some walls and put a stop to it ASAP. First time since launch that I've been able to use sound to my advantage like that. Kinda tricky to separate enemy and teammate footsteps and directional sound is indeed not great but I'll take too much audio info over zero audio. It's allowing me to play very aggressively.
    Sound is so loud that I can hear corpses twitching after people die LOL