Weekly BF

Fps drops in jan 15 patch

Comments

• Yw0ke
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    i7 4770k with vega 56 here. I too lost some fps with this update.
    Plus, i would love to see some optimization on the CPU hungry part of the game... my 4770 oced @ 4.3 is dying over here :'(
  • StgGorman
    58 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 16
    im on the complete opposite. with the new BF5 patch, and the new Nvidia drivers (gsync ftw) everything runs smooth as ****, and extremely well. even needed to set my mouse sensitity a bit down since everything was so fast. in fact it was that smooth, that i simply rushed the first games head on into the enemy, what a fun.

i dont know what you do to mess up your systems and then blame BF5 for it :)
  • StgGorman
    edited January 16
    ShltPlaYer wrote: »

I no longer cap frames I let her eat as the only reason I capped frames was to lower cpu usage but it honestly didn’t help much. The thing I noticed with a 2080ti is you lower settings it seems to make the frames worse to a certain point. I would unlock frames and see what happens and turn it up to ultra settings to see if your usage and FPS come back

My gpu runs 40 to 42 under water. I have yet to hear of a 2080ti under water fail I thinks it’s something to do with heat on the memory and without water cooling they get to hot but that’s my opinion. I sure hope mine don’t fail now lol I have had it since October and it’s a evga ultra xc

well, capping the fps, wont help for better performance, infact its for the monitor refresh rates and help to reduce tearing ....
  • ShltPlaYer
    125 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    StgGorman wrote: »

I no longer cap frames I let her eat as the only reason I capped frames was to lower cpu usage but it honestly didn’t help much. The thing I noticed with a 2080ti is you lower settings it seems to make the frames worse to a certain point. I would unlock frames and see what happens and turn it up to ultra settings to see if your usage and FPS come back

My gpu runs 40 to 42 under water. I have yet to hear of a 2080ti under water fail I thinks it’s something to do with heat on the memory and without water cooling they get to hot but that’s my opinion. I sure hope mine don’t fail now lol I have had it since October and it’s a evga ultra xc

well, capping the fps, wont help for better performance, infact its for the monitor refresh rates and help to reduce tearing ....

Move along ok you have no clue what your talking about the only reason I capped FPS was to lower cpu usage. I suppose you play 1080p 60hrz.

The game is broke for many people move along troll go back under your bridge.
  • ITS_BOB_GNARLY
    2190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    im on the complete opposite. with the new BF5 patch, and the new Nvidia drivers (gsync ftw) everything runs smooth as ****, and extremely well. even needed to set my mouse sensitity a bit down since everything was so fast. in fact it was that smooth, that i simply rushed the first games head on into the enemy, what a fun.

i dont know what you do to mess up your systems and then blame BF5 for it :)

'I have no problem, so there is no problem.'

GTFO
  • StgGorman
    edited January 16

Move along ok you have no clue what your talking about the only reason I capped FPS was to lower cpu usage. I suppose you play 1080p 60hrz.

i just set 1440p with 70-100+ fps on a 144hz Monitor (all ultra, except special effects set all off (chromatic aberation etc))
    having a gtx 1070ti + 6 core Prozessor

good round - i think i will stick with these sets
  • StgGorman
    edited January 16

so why would you want to lower your CPU useage - your CPU is great.
    everything on your system is top notch,. just set it to everything high and tell me what monitor you use, and where your problem is

the only CAP you'd ever need to set up with your specs is the framerate of your display

btw, i even reduced OC of CPU and GPU since it seems BF5 ist more than a stabilization Test for OC'ing
    before that system sometimes freezed,after reducing OC, never met a problem

• ShltPlaYer
    125 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 16

so why would you want to lower your CPU useage - your CPU is great.
    everything on your system is top notch,. just set it to everything high and tell me what monitor you use, and where your problem is

the only CAP you'd ever need to set up with your specs is the framerate of your display

btw, i even reduced OC of CPU and GPU since it seems BF5 ist more than a stabilization Test for OC'ing
    before that system sometimes freezed,after reducing OC, never met a problem

I don’t have it capped I said I tried it and it didn’t help. It’s running full blast nothing capped.

I told you also my monitor is a Asus 1440p 165hz pg279q

When the cpu hits 100% usage that’s when the stutter happens. It isn’t all the time and isn’t every map and when it does happen it around 2 to 4 times a round.

Display setting isn’t going to make the in game frametime graph spike on the cpu side. When the cpu frametime spikes that’s when the stutter occurs.
  • StgGorman
    edited January 16
    That's flat out untrue. Undergrowth and world meshes act the exact same way as pre-patch. If you're on anything other than low you are at a big disadvantage. Maybe that's why you wish to misinform people.

i dont care i always play ultra :)

but now as you mention it - i will try it out and see how it behaves :)
  • StgGorman
    I don’t have it capped I said I tried it and it didn’t help. It’s running full blast nothing capped.
    I told you also my monitor is a Asus 1440p 165hz pg279q
    When the cpu hits 100% usage that’s when the stutter happens. It isn’t all the time and isn’t every map and when it does happen it around 2 to 4 times a round.
    Display setting isn’t going to make the in game frametime graph spike on the cpu side. When the cpu frametime spikes that’s when the stutter occurs.

so your monitor is also top notch.
    well, cant imagine anywthing they did that yould bring your system to its knees tbh

but its an interesting problem.
  • everGreeeen
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

i just set 1440p with 70-100+ fps on a 144hz Monitor (all ultra, except special effects set all off (chromatic aberation etc))
    having a gtx 1070ti + 6 core Prozessor

good round - i think i will stick with these sets
    So what was it pre patch then? I guess you dont know...This is about performance decrease caused by jan 15 patch not about how it runs on your system...
    Its kinda confirmed anyway that dice did fuckup something with so many people beeing affected.
  • StgGorman
    edited January 17
    Haha, quick Test on Arras:

1) density of crop has been reduced FOR ULTRA SETTING
    CONCLUSION: the MESH has now the same desity on ULTRA as on LOW
    (since the crop had same density when i tested LOW, also i didnt notice any difference (better view or soemthing) when playing on LOW Mesh)

----> that would explain why some people (that used LOW MESH all the time) would expierience now a weaker performance in FPS
    ----> while people like me that always played on ULTRA now expierience a better performance :)

tbh, ofc this is good. Users with LOW Mesh settings should not have an advantage, so dice needed to go a middle-way, reducing some crop on ULTRA and adding some CROP for LOW

next conclusion:
    for extremely top machines, with a Top notch gfx card this may lead to the production of even more FPS that can put more work on the CPU.
    solution should be capping FPS, but as a user reported that didnt work

however, the reported FPS loss for some users here may stand in relation with more Mesh got added to LOW settings, which is a pity for LOW-ENd machines or FPS_collectors, but finally this is of course
    the game is most fair.

at least this is my idea atm,
    i cannot tell if LOW was pre-patch better since i never played on LOW, but right now there is no difference between LOW and ULTRA MESH on Arras (example Crop density)
    but i can tell for pre-patch the crop was much more dense and even a bit higher in ULTRA
  • StgGorman
    So what was it pre patch then? I guess you dont know...This is about performance decrease caused by jan 15 patch not about how it runs on your system...
    Its kinda confirmed anyway that dice did fuckup something with so many people beeing affected.

pre patch it was a bit weaker.
    so i have a better performance atm :)

but i found something interesting out:

the CROP on ARRAS has NOW the same density both on LOW and ULTRA settings
    since i always played on ULTRA, i can tell the on ULTRA the pre-patch crop was more dense and higher

so i suspect that DICE made the desity of crop for LOW /ULTRA (and others) the same

this would explain an overall expierienced loss on FPS for users that playing on LOW MESH settings

a pity for LOW-end Machines, fps collectors, and easy-players - but ofc its good since the game is more fair.
    i guess LOW got some mesh added, while Ultra got mesh reduced, MEDIUM settings aren effected

for top-notch GFX cards that could mean an even greater output of FPS which put more work on the CPU

• StgGorman
    muaa, i keep deletng my posts, fpr whatever reason.

long story short:

- my fps got better after the patch.
    - i only played on ultra
    - i found out that on Ultra now mesh got reduced, crop on arras fpr example is smaller and Way less dense
    - i founf also out that LOW and ULTRA dont make a difference in mesh density (on arras)
    - i ASSUME that DICE added mesh for LOW settings and reduced MESH for ULTRA
    - that would explain reduction of FPS for LOW users, and increased performance for ULTRA users
    - realy top GFX cards may now produce a lot more FPS that put more work on CPU occasionally
  • StgGorman
    So right now we woud need to know the FORMER pre patch mesh settings of the people affected by FPS drop.

and i think its good to have a mesh desity that is for all players fair and the same, even if low-end machines and fps collectors may suffer a bit.
  • ShltPlaYer
    My FPS got better also somewhat but the stutter is still there I don’t have FPS issues I averaged 167fps on Narvik yesterday on ultra settings except post processing set to low and averaged 189 on the field map starts with A. My problem is every once in a while is the stutter and 100% cpu usage when it hits tjat there is stutter. I have no doubt that folks have lost performance and there’s folks that don’t have stutter or high cpu usage. Why do I have it with my system? Everything is off that can be turned off only programs running is bfv and msi afterburner along with windows services that can’t be stopped. Spectra patch disabled no windows defender etc etc. you name it I have tried it nothing works for me lol.

In the beta I had no issues until it was almost over I played the beta early and with about a day or 2 left this started. I also get this in bf1. I can go to empty server in bf1 it’s smooth as butter and I can go to the practice range in bfv it’s smooth also. My problem only happens when a lot is going on around me or a lot of other players around me.
  • HeadwarP
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 17
    muaa, i keep deletng my posts, fpr whatever reason.

long story short:

- my fps got better after the patch.
    - i only played on ultra
    - i found out that on Ultra now mesh got reduced, crop on arras fpr example is smaller and Way less dense
    - i founf also out that LOW and ULTRA dont make a difference in mesh density (on arras)
    - i ASSUME that DICE added mesh for LOW settings and reduced MESH for ULTRA
    - that would explain reduction of FPS for LOW users, and increased performance for ULTRA users
    - realy top GFX cards may now produce a lot more FPS that put more work on CPU occasionally

except.. I only set my mesh setting to low after the most recent patch, because the patch introduced erratic behavior with my framerate. Are you actually looking at your FPS while you're playing or just going by "Feel"? Because what I'm seeing is erratic drops in framerate, that last half a second and then go back up to normal, yet occuring frequently.

Again - this is completely different to my experience prior to this patch.

You aren't experiencing an fps hit? Ok fine. You are one, there are many of us reporting a decrease of performance after the patch. Personally, the response we are looking for is a hotfix from DICE. Somehow you lucked out.

And let's talk about my experience with personal computers - I've been building my own rigs for over 20 years. I update drivers like it's religion. When the only two changes to my system, are a patch to BFV, and an nvidia update, and I've already fixed any issues that might have been caused by the nvidia update, yet BFV is suddenly running like poop, the BFV update is the culprit.
  • everGreeeen
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 17
    Clearly you did not read the other posts did you? There are ULTRA users (me included) that clearly see a reduction of fps since patch. Actually there are only 2 people in here that claim that fps improved for them if i counted right.... I am not judging this by feel as you seem to do but by numbers that wont lie. To repeat myself:
    Before patch: (settings all ultra, ffr: off, dxr: off, dx12): Fps max: 144 ->100%gpu usage (cpu never close to max, around 50%)
    Now: (settings all ultra, ffr: off, dxr: off, dx12): Fps max: 110 ->70%gpu usage (cpu never close to max, around 50%)
    I tried with and without nvidia driver update, did not make a noticable difference. Nothing else was changed on the system.

Hardware is: 2080 ti, i9-9900k, resolution: WQHD

Before patch my fps was more "unstable" compared to now jumping somtimes down to 125 before imediatly hitting 144 again, now fps is super stable at exactly 110 fps, feels like capped at that vlaue for me -_-

This can be already seen in the main menu of the game on my system!-> same behaviour as ingame regarding fps

Sad thers not an official word form the devs on this... guess they are to busy breaking more stuff xD

edit: its kinda frustrating to see my gpu not even trying to reach those juicy 144 fps -_-

• Sw0rdmouse
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 17
    It's a processor issue. At least for me.

I was running a 4790K with a GTX 1070ti and getting 40-50 FPS in busy firefights after this update, with all settings on low. Previously, I was getting 80-100

Upgraded to a Ryzen 2700X CPU and now I'm pushing 140+ frames.

So the lesson seems to be, if you don't have a 6-8 core CPU, you're going to get boned with this recent "fix." I wouldn't be surprised if even us 6-8 users should be getting a lot more out of our processors, even if the framerates are acceptable.
    Post edited by Sw0rdmouse on
  • StgGorman
    edited January 17
    HeadwarP wrote: »
    except.. I only set my mesh setting to low after the most recent patch, because the patch introduced erratic behavior with my framerate. Are you actually looking at your FPS while you're playing or just going by "Feel"? Because what I'm seeing is erratic drops in framerate, that last half a second and then go back up to normal, yet occuring frequently.

Again - this is completely different to my experience prior to this patch.

You aren't experiencing an fps hit? Ok fine. You are one, there are many of us reporting a decrease of performance after the patch. Personally, the response we are looking for is a hotfix from DICE. Somehow you lucked out.

And let's talk about my experience with personal computers - I've been building my own rigs for over 20 years. I update drivers like it's religion. When the only two changes to my system, are a patch to BFV, and an nvidia update, and I've already fixed any issues that might have been caused by the nvidia update, yet BFV is suddenly running like poop, the BFV update is the culprit.

hey, i use "perfoverlay.drawfps 1" ingame to see my FPS, so, yes, im actually watching fps.
    (but for me its just to get a raw overwiev, there are always up and downs in fps, depending on many things)
    as said, i just turned on 1440p ONCE on ultra pre-patch, it was around 70-90, now after patch ist about 80-100.
    (but i also use latest NVIDIA driver, so its difficult to tell what is responsible)

my performance has definately increased, and now im playing on 1440p.
    ofc its also map dependend, some maps have more impct on FPS than others

i can only say my assumption, i think the FPS change is becasue there as something changed about the mesh, since LOW-setting players exploited the absence of mesh.
    i for myself dont care at all how much mesh there is on the maps, as long there is no exploit.

so if you ask me, there can be another patch that sets the MESH for ALL settings to LOW-density.
    i even didnt know about that tbh.