Thank you for 50% increase in DXR for BF5 but why is the DX12 bug still around?

Raizu1433
10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited January 15
I cannot understand why I still get frame stutter at times with this game engine while using DX12? I use DX11 and it runs smooth as silk on ultra settings. I bought a RTX 2080 so I could play this wonderful game at 2k DXR with DX12. Any patches gonna fix this problem that has been around since the days of BF4? DX12 stutter is most apparent with explosions and vaulting. Less apparent in game modes with no vehicles and CQC.
Post edited by Raizu1433 on

Comments

• afzSnickelfritz
    144 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DX12 is running fine on 1080Ti.
    I'm hard-pressed to see much of a difference between 11 and 12, but I remember that stutter step thing on DX12 pre-patch, on both BF1 and BFV.

On a fresh boot, open task manager performance tab and watch the CPU at idle for a few minutes; the graph should be more or less flat.
  • BroPyp
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm hard-pressed to see much of a difference between 11 and 12, but I remember that stutter step thing on DX12 pre-patch, on both BF1 and BFV.

On a fresh boot, open task manager performance tab and watch the CPU at idle for a few minutes; the graph should be more or less flat.

I'm sticking with DX12 as I too have a 1080Ti, runs ever so slightly better than DX11 for me.

I do however notice momentary spikes but not as aggressive as people are describing.
    I specifically wanted to stay on DX12 anyway due to the performance not being impacted by having the input-lag inducing "Future Frame Rendering" setting turned off. In DX11 it drops by like 40 fps.
  • afzSnickelfritz
    144 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Texture swapping (resulting in occasional large frametime spikes) is something they could optimize a bit better, IMO. I suspect that the numerous optional textures/shaders for weapons and uniforms may be the cause, particularly since they can be changed during a match and appear to be fairly large image files.
  • HybridWolf69
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Is DX12 better than DX11 + RTX? I can run DX12 fine but when I add RTX ( I have a 2070) my FPS gets too low still. Should I try DX11 + RTX?
  • afzSnickelfritz
    DXR (API for nvidia RTX) is is not included in DX11; you need to run DX12 and Windows 10 1809 in order to enable RTX.
  • Raizu1433
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 15
    There is still no fix for this? bump this thread.
    Post edited by Raizu1433 on
  • Ameracle
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Bump for this thread. Same problem, stutter & hitch especially during intense action on DX12 & DXR medium. Its an insult to owner of RTX2080 like us that want to enjoy dxr with smooth experience.
  • lGuerillal
    111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    1070ti. Stutters on dx12
  • Raizu1433
    edited January 15
    Bump thread, crossing fingers on new update and driver released today.
  • marked4death
    127 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have a Vega 64 and also have dx12 hitching. Its opinion that DICE did a crap job of implementing the DX12 API...if thats the case...its up to DICE to fix the code.
  • Kolple
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Here when I was running DX12 on the HDD it was the same as you said, it was only installed on the SSD that no longer crashes
  • marked4death
    127 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Kolple wrote: »
    Here when I was running DX12 on the HDD it was the same as you said, it was only installed on the SSD that no longer crashes

I have had BF on HDD SSD and now M.2 PCIE. THey all behave the same way. its Dice coding
  • Skyydive
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I cant even run the Game on DX12. It instantly freezes when i deploy on to a player or base. On DX11 it runs smooth with Ultra Settings. Running a RTX2070 and i5 6600K. Any Solutions for this Problem yet?
  • GENERALONGDONG
    404 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

There is no graphical difference between dx11 and 12. If you have a hdr monitor then you need dx12 to see the hdr in effect, but besides that, nothing.