Tank top gunners get killed by anything

AzafTazarden
133 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I just got insta killed by an AT mine while on the top gunner. I mean, nevermind that I have an entire tank to shield me from threats that come from the ground. Basically any explosive that sneezes on a tank usually is an insta kill to the top gunner, which is somewhat understandable if we're talking about a direct hit from a rocket, but from my experience, it happens all the time, even from land mines, which don't really make that much sense. They're so exposed, they usually get sniped long before they can spot and kill anything, if not insta killed by a mine. I barelly ever see anyone using it, and if I spot them on the other team it usually means an easy kill that can't be revived. So in conclusion, top gunners are useless.

Comments

• Noodlesocks
    2656 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 17
    They could do with some sort of shielding at the very least.

What I would love to see it the ability to close the hatch and look out the episcopes. Maybe allow them to spot enemies from this position.
  • darkkterror
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem like the tank stops explosive damage at all. The top gunner may as well just be floating in the air with no tank present at all.
  • dICEHOUSE
    552 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    you can gun and duck; gun,duck

I'm sure it was intended like this ( although it's ridiculous how easy it is to die with your head out) bc that gun is a killing machine if you get a hit or two on somebody
  • Major_Pungspark
    1389 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just think of the tank as something that just makes explosives detonate while giving zero protection for the gunner, lol, like the sandbags actually, just detonates incoming explosives while giving zero protection.
  • darkkterror
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    dICEHOUSE wrote: »

I'm sure it was intended like this ( although it's ridiculous how easy it is to die with your head out) bc that gun is a killing machine if you get a hit or two on somebody

Ducking in the turret doesn't seem to provide any protection from explosive damage. Any explosive that hits the tank will still kill the top gunner. It is like the tank isn't even there and the top gunner is completely exposed.
  • dICEHOUSE
    552 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Ducking in the turret doesn't seem to provide any protection from explosive damage. Any explosive that hits the tank will still kill the top gunner. It is like the tank isn't even there and the top gunner is completely exposed.

Don't remember ever dying while being ducked unless the tank was part of the process. doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I'm going to go on and purposely duck while being bombarded and see what happens.
  • Deltium
    34 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    the top gunner does need some shielding. only beginners spawn into those slots and die within minutes. any intermediate player can hit that player quite easily. as people learn this, it will be a wasted spot in the tank inhibiiting tanking. bad design choice by Dice.
  • FelipeEdu_0
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I only use top mg when im in a fixed cannon tank. But often get killed by dynamites wherever them assault drops on the tank, even if they throw it to the ground. Dynamites also kill me over some walls, so I'm almost asured that explosives can "pierce" through some props with forbidden physics.
  • Loki_Deezie
    867 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Ducking helps with bullets but rockets and other explosive will still kill you.

I think there needs to be an option to actually shut the top door while you duck to prevent dying from explosions.

They may also need to add some sort of shielding at the top. Right now its a death sentence.
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If only the military of WW 2 had thought of such a problem. Who knows what they would have come up with....
    Mhm maybe something that we can see here in this movie at Minute 4:48 ?:

But for sure we are just uneducated when it comes to this in comparison to these swedish Military experts....
  • naitch44
    666 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Playing tank top gunner is a death sentence.... I actually feel sorry for players when I see them up there, complete and utter cannon fodder.
  • B4ckdoorAssassin
    37 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Stahlmach wrote: »
    If only the military of WW 2 had thought of such a problem. Who knows what they would have come up with....

But for sure we are just uneducated when it comes to this in comparison to these swedish Military experts....

Whoever made this movie got it wrong if I learned anything from playing BFV. It would only take one of those men to destroy that tank, why are they running in fear from it?
  • dICEHOUSE

I think there needs to be an option to actually shut the top door while you duck to prevent dying from explosions.

They may also need to add some sort of shielding at the top. Right now its a death sentence.

I don't know that this totally the case. I just played a half round on PanzerStorm and spawned into three different tanks (one being a half track) , then top gunner and stayed ducked most of the time. a tank i was in did take a hit from another tank? while i was not ducked and I only took 33 damage . I didn't always suffer personal damage while ducked. It seems like where the shots hit the tank. I did die quickly while there was flames coming up the tank, our tank was still operational.
  • ElSamuel04
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    naitch44 wrote: »
    Playing tank top gunner is a death sentence.... I actually feel sorry for players when I see them up there, complete and utter cannon fodder.

Yup. Is pointless ducking in becuase there is no protection against explosion. Also no visibility. And when you try to look around u got sniped by everyone else.

Tank top gunner is free kill for enemies. Point.

When i drive a tank i alway suggest to leave the top torret to my mate since i've seen to many dead in this position. Until they (@DICE)add some "shiled" to top tank (maybe you can get full upgrade shield top gunner, in tank specialization for example), don't ever take this place.
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 18
    BiscoMix07 wrote: »

Whoever made this movie got it wrong if I learned anything from playing BFV. It would only take one of those men to destroy that tank, why are they running in fear from it?

Because they are not part of the secret Supersoldier programm developed by the US Government to stop Hydra. Which is also the reason why they didnt get german weapons, including the superior Panzerfaust.
    Still silly, they should just ADAD spam the whole time and killing the germans. If there would be just one Staghound around, he would have killed that Tiger and Jagdpanther with ease. Especially because the Valentine in the column was for sure destroyed by mines, otherwise he would have done this. And after that driving straight to Berlin.
  • B4ckdoorAssassin
    37 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BiscoMix07 wrote: »

Because they are not part of the secret Supersoldier programm developed by the US Government to stop Hydra..

Makes sense. Checks out. Adds up.

• Chubzdoomer
    1397 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I literally never bother with the top gunner anymore. If I see that's the only seat available, I'll just stick to being on foot. The duck feature helps massively with survivability versus bullets, but the explosive damage has GOT to be toned down for it to be even semi-viable. The fact that even a single tank mine can insta-kill a full health gunner is just absurd.
  • Loki_Deezie
    867 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I don't know that this totally the case. I just played a half round on PanzerStorm and spawned into three different tanks (one being a half track) , then top gunner and stayed ducked most of the time. a tank i was in did take a hit from another tank? while i was not ducked and I only took 33 damage . I didn't always suffer personal damage while ducked. It seems like where the shots hit the tank. I did die quickly while there was flames coming up the tank, our tank was still operational.

Well you can take a few hits in top gunner while ducked, i think it reduces damage. But I've noticed when ducked i still take damage (and cant heal which sucks) but it's less damage then if I'm not ducked.

Maybe I just get unlucky and they hit the turret of the tank and not the tracks.
  • snakeater418
    247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Why can't they just put a shield on the gun like the mounted Vickers? That would at least help without making them invincible from gunshots. As far as the explosives go that's just bad on DICE's part.
  • Astr0damus
    2901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Currahee!