Dx12 runs like a night mare

Head3masher
1420 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
Is this mode broken? I go from 60-55 fps normal to literally 1 frame every 2 seconds if lucky when this hip new modern version of DX is enabled.

Comments

• Raptor_i81
    188 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    Why bother with DX12 if DX11 is working and there is no visual advantage for DX12 ? big part of the issues you see when switch to DX12 is part of the Direct x 12 architecture it self, it is a major fail , don't you see that all games with DX12 either have worse performance than DX11 or the same with a bit stuttering ... there is no point in DX12 unless you want to enable Ray-tracing which is performance breaking and add almost nothing to visuals except the confusing reflections all over the place .

What is more interesting is Vulkan API.
    Also Nvidia is bad performer with DX12 and AMD is better.
  • SuperiorByGender
    3239 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    For me DX12 works flawlessly. It wasn't working back when I was on AMD CPU though, my game would constantly crash a couple of minutes after joining a server.
  • shiftymoves123
    62 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It's working great here. I just bought a new monitor, the fps counter is showing 165.
    OP list your specs.
  • -aarp-19Crib
    763 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It works OK for me, but I had shadow and light problems so I had to monkey with my screen settings. I switched back because I saw no gain, but some deficits.
  • TFBisquit
    2284 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yep, DX12 runs very good now here, ffr off (on seems the same though) so I changed from DX11 to DX12. Feels a bit more responsive now.
    Was between 85 and 135 fps , now even higher.
    To be clear, before patch DX12 ran terrible, and ffr off dropped my fps between 50 and 70. Now it's all stable and above 100 most of the time.
  • italickus
    394 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I play dx 12 low settings with a 1070. On purpose. I dont want distractions on the maps
  • narnold700
    282 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    For me DX12 in this game had been giving me problems. It would work for a while and even better then DX11 before failing miserably after playing for a while. Granted I have not tested it since the new patch and will likely test it again next week when I have enough time to do so. I'm really hoping it has been fixed as it provided a bit smoother gameplay when it was actually working. I would also like to add that it is unlikely this problem is hardware related as multiple people reported the same issue with different hardware profiles. Furthermore DX12 did work for me for a while after the game came out but broke around mid December.
  • Jinko_itx
    775 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    DX 12 works great for me but the only issue I have is in the beginning of a map, it freezes a couple of times, almost like as people are coming on the server, the game just freezes a sec. unusual...
  • TFBisquit
    2284 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Jinko_itx wrote: »
    DX 12 works great for me but the only issue I have is in the beginning of a map, it freezes a couple of times, almost like as people are coming on the server, the game just freezes a sec. unusual...

Yes, same here.
    But is that DX12? I don't know tbh, could also be the servers? High pingers connecting etc etc.
    Even with DX11 I had the occasional hiccup once or twice in a sever.
  • Solid_SkG
    1134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    DX11 was working better than DX12 on my old gtx 1060.

Now DX12 works better than DX11 with RTX 2070.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Dx 12 is an enigma.

I played BF1 in dx11 smooth as butter around 80-100 fps on ultra.
    This game ran terribly for me in dx11 and I gained like 20-30 fps with dx12.
    I encounter freezes here and there but they are so rare that they don't hinder my gameplay experience.
  • Sk1lld
    591 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DirectX 12 ran fine, but had intermittent pauses and hitches maybe 1 or 2 fps higher. DirectX 11 runs without hitches.
    Son has a powerful rig and plays DirectX 12 he says it's working fine for him. Watched him play BFV with all settings ultra, and saw the same Pauses/hitches I was getting?
    Didn't say anything to him, if hes happy, I'm happy.
  • IFlummoxedI
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sk1lld wrote: »
    DirectX 12 ran fine, but had intermittent pauses and hitches maybe 1 or 2 fps higher. DirectX 11 runs without hitches.
    Son has a powerful rig and plays DirectX 12 he says it's working fine for him. Watched him play BFV with all settings ultra, and saw the same Pauses/hitches I was getting?

This is the same and only problem I have with DX12.
  • xHonest_Abe
    218 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    For me DX12 works flawlessly. It wasn't working back when I was on AMD CPU though, my game would constantly crash a couple of minutes after joining a server.

I run a Ryzen 1700X along with a MSI RX580 carbon graphics card, and it runs flawless and fast on DX11 ultra. But when you run DX12, it shutters at least a couple of times a minute but no crashes. Back to proven good old DX11 for me until the technology catches up.
  • Sk1lld
    591 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    Sk1lld wrote: »

This is the same and only problem I have with DX12.

Yeah, I think the straw that broke the camels back for me anyways was, the game paused as I was about to shoot this player. Instead of a clear victory it turned to de-fete when he shot me dead wile I was frozen on screen and unable to do anything.
    I read that DirectX 12 caches when things like uniforms are changed in game "Large texture change", I have no idea if this is true.
  • theKaizar
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    TFBisquit wrote: »
    Yep, DX12 runs very good now here, ffr off (on seems the same though) so I changed from DX11 to DX12. Feels a bit more responsive now.
    Was between 85 and 135 fps , now even higher.
    To be clear, before patch DX12 ran terrible, and ffr off dropped my fps between 50 and 70. Now it's all stable and above 100 most of the time.

me too
  • Fadeeaway
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    I gained about 20-30 fps with dx12. 1440p, 1080ti, i7 8700k.
  • FinnHit
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    9900k and 2080 ti dx 12 fps is good (much better than dx11) but every now and then pauses / freeezes
  • slothbuns64
    36 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    Dx 12 is a 30 fps gain on my guest computer gtx 770 4gb i5 4690k. But my rx 580 8gb i7 4770k is a lose of 10fps.
    Post edited by slothbuns64 on
  • xHonest_Abe
    218 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I am beginning the think that you have to buy the most expensive graphics cards and CPU to run DX12. The only benefit I see is a little more graphic detail when playing ( example a couple of more limbs on the tree or a bomb crater that has a slightly different shape) and frame rate. Who notice that stuff when you are in the middle of a battle. Does it improve your score greatly, I don't think so. :D:D