Weekly BF

Let's talk about Tank balance

Comments

• OShannon91
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Tanks are mostly fine. They need some skill but that's fine I think. Some just wish to sit in a tank and go 50-0 each round but that's not what balanced means.
    People talk about paper tanks and say useless are immature. A tank can rock a round pretty good and they are able, especially with a good gunner (but many people rather playing alone in a tank...).
    The only problem I might see is that the assault class is a bit too strong in general. When there are less assaults on the field, tanks have less threats.
    The tanks do exactly what they should do. They are not a one-man army but in a balanced game, no one should be.
    There are some adjustments and details to improve. Maybe increase the points for repairing a tank.
    But to avoid that tanks just sit in the home base and camp around, it's stupid to make tanks stronger. That just results in stronger tanks sitting in the base. This behavior won't change because of a higher damage or something

• MBT_Layzan
    1609 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's one thing and one thing only.

SYSTEMIC DAMAGE.

Remove it and Tanks would be better and not feel so helpless.

This would totally help. +1

That and give us total freedom on tank specs.

Give us back the old vehicle spawn system.
  • MBT_Layzan
    1609 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    And people who say "tanking is fine in BFV", more often than not have very little tanking experience not just in this game but in others too.

• munkt0r
    3037 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    MBT_Layzan wrote: »
    And people who say "tanking is fine in BFV", more often than not have very little tanking experience not just in this game but in others too.

Is my experience enough to comment? I'd like you to check before I comment.
  • MBT_Layzan
    edited January 24
    munkt0r wrote: »

Do you tank more in BFV? than past BF games, you seem to have very little tanking experience in other games.

But hey, why not comment on this:
    1. -- You get XP for repairing and better yet, squad XP points when it's your squadmate which allows faster access to call-in options for the squad leader
    2. -- There are numerous resupply depots throughout the map and can be built/repaired by all classes (i'm not against a "tank crew" subclass option for support though, think that's a good suggestion in general)
    3. -- This is a rather pointless point as it is effectively covered in your previous point
    4. -- More than assault has access to explosive options...you know that right?
    5. -- Subjective point that doesn't really add much to the discussion of balance
    6. -- I also find this point to be highly subjective and doesn't need to be part of a "tank balance" discussion

Also, I when I run with my squad (pre-made) we don't camp with tanks but I understand why solo players do.

1. The XP gotten from repairing is minimal. You can nearly fully repair a tank from death only to get *maybe* 100 points. Over the same course of time, you can build 10 bags and get double XP.
    2. On Twisted Steel, there's only 2 per side. 1 on G and A, and one in bases. Some maps are even worse. Hamada has 3 and it's one of the
    biggest maps. Don't even get me started on maps like Devastation.
    3. I'm talking about how getting in the thick of it actually works to the tank's downfall in this point where point 2 talks about how resupply stations aren't in good enough places.

4. Nobody has explosive options like assault. Recon has... well.. none against tanks. Support has 2, the launcher and the AT mine. Assault has the most plentiful options at killing tanks currently sitting at 3 gadgets (Sticky Dynamite, Panzerfaus, and PIAT), 1 grenade, and 2 extra (frag rifle and AT mine) all good at doing damage to tanks. Literally there is no non-tank option for Assault right now and that's kinda messed up. Literally a squad of assault players can blow up heavy tanks in seconds. But you know that... right???

5. They do have places in balance. When your upgrade that you're forced to accept is a downgrade (like maintenance drills) in order to get what you actually want (like AP rounds), it's really a bummer. It's boring to me and has no merit for me to choose that if I have to effectively downgrade or add nothing to my tank up to 3 times in order to get something I actually want.

6. You really need to stop seeing things as "subjective." Also, subjectivity is the driving point of balance in most instances. If players feel like PIAT does too much damage, what's going to get touched? The PIAT or the tank it's damaging??

You're too focused on whether or not my thoughts are "fact" or "not subjective" that you even forgot to put in your own thoughts. As far as I'm concerned, most of your points actually don't exist. And because you have no counter point or claims even, it's pointless for you to even be here, let alone respond. If you want to pick fights, go ahead. But... well... you're not going to get very far. But after all...

This person addressed your post.
    Post edited by MBT_Layzan on
  • MBT_Layzan
    I wouldn't begin to talk about infantry gun balance, I hardly use them.
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    So a PIAT does 61 damage to the rear of a medium tank, but only 56 to the rear of a light tank... Hmm...
  • bran1986
    5744 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    So a PIAT does 61 damage to the rear of a medium tank, but only 56 to the rear of a light tank... Hmm...

And you have a 15 or 16 assault players on a team.
  • MBT_Layzan
    bran1986 wrote: »

And all it takes is one shot to often have you crippled desperately trying to reverse before your surrounded and overwhelmed. But hey, tanks are fine, they just camp too much.
  • lolingbuffalo
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I think it's fine, just difficult. fight me brah
    lol
  • MBT_Layzan

I think it's fine, just difficult. fight me brah
    lol

So you would say the tiger for example is just difficult?
  • lolingbuffalo
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah, just gotta tank smart. Stay far away from everything, keep moving, know when to retreat and do it quickly cause it's so slow. Also only use it on panzerstorm lol
  • narnold700
    282 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Only tanks that seem in bad shape to me are the heavies. Personally I think best way to handle the situation is make them a squad reinforcement call in and buff them a fair bit. I think if they were buffed the way the probably should be no one would use any of the other tanks much, so I think making them one of those things you can only get once per game per squad makes the most sense. I mean this is how Dice handled the strumtiger and it seems to have worked well enough so I don't see why this couldn't be done with other AFVs. I'd also like to point out, and I'm sure most would agree, anything that results in less V1 spam at the end of games would be welcomed.
  • munkt0r
    3037 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Do you tank more in BFV? than past BF games, you seem to have very little tanking experience in other games.

My stats are all open to view...I was asking you to advise in your opinion if I have "very little experience" or not.
  • MBT_Layzan
    Yeah, just gotta tank smart. Stay far away from everything, keep moving, know when to retreat and do it quickly cause it's so slow. Also only use it on panzerstorm lol

I don't think the tiger is in a good place at all. I can take out tigers with ease on panzerstorm with the light tanks, I can output so much more firepower than they can, which blinds, shudders, and disables and the joke, I do this at extreme distance or close range with the auto cannon or tank rounds. There is so little cover on this map, and most of it benefits smaller vehicles with lower profiles.

Once they start to retreat it's over, I can catch up to them and finish the job esp since they are so huge a target. On this, the tigers struggle to deal with infantry. This can be in the form of say a transport, where they take a hit, then they all bail out and the tiger just can't handle that kind of mob. At flags, they get nailed easy too, infantry know the tiger is an easy target so they flock to them and overwhelm. Being so big, they get hammered/spotted by like half the enemy side, planes are on their case because they are so often seen, they can't move for ****.

When a tiger is on my side, I'm doubling or more their kills/score in light tanks, often stealing their vehicle destroys too, they are just so slow. I can at least in light tanks assist in flags in a more involved way. When I use to use the tiger, it was just so boring, limited and vulnerable. I gave up.

I tank a hell of a lot, I'm still yet to see a tiger rock any map period. As in, do well on the score board in CQ. Perhaps clans, or dedicated squads of mates can make it work batter, I'm still let to this this however.
  • WinterWarhurst
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I don't think the tiger is in a good place at all. I can take out tigers with ease on panzerstorm with the light tanks, I can output so much more firepower than they can, which blinds, shudders, and disables and the joke, I do this at extreme distance or close range with the auto cannon or tank rounds. There is so little cover on this map, and most of it benefits smaller vehicles with lower profiles.

Once they start to retreat it's over, I can catch up to them and finish the job esp since they are so huge a target. On this, the tigers struggle to deal with infantry. This can be in the form of say a transport, where they take a hit, then they all bail out and the tiger just can't handle that kind of mob. At flags, they get nailed easy too, infantry know the tiger is an easy target so they flock to them and overwhelm. Being so big, they get hammered/spotted by like half the enemy side, planes are on their case because they are so often seen, they can't move for ****.

When a tiger is on my side, I'm doubling or more their kills/score in light tanks, often stealing their vehicle destroys too, they are just so slow. I can at least in light tanks assist in flags in a more involved way. When I use to use the tiger, it was just so boring, limited and vulnerable. I gave up.

I tank a hell of a lot, I'm still yet to see a tiger rock any map period. As in, do well on the score board in CQ. Perhaps clans, or dedicated squads of mates can make it work batter, I'm still let to this this however.

My best in it is 66-0 in conquest (Aerodrome depot camping), I’ve had plenty of 40+ games but tbh it’s broken, it’s unbelievably slow and unmanouverable...

And its damage model is broken because when you hit the tracks frontally, which is such an easy target, it deals 1.6X side armour damage multiplier. For this reason even with a Valentine with 2-pounder I SHRED them instantly, I don’t even need to take cover half the time I just repeatedly hit them in the front track wheel and feel sorry for them.
  • MBT_Layzan

My best in it is 66-0 in conquest (Aerodrome depot camping), I’ve had plenty of 40+ games but tbh it’s broken, it’s unbelievably slow and unmanouverable...

And its damage model is broken because when you hit the tracks frontally, which is such an easy target, it deals 1.6X side armour damage multiplier. For this reason even with a Valentine with 2-pounder I SHRED them instantly, I don’t even need to take cover half the time I just repeatedly hit them in the front track wheel and feel sorry for them.

Perhaps it's because I'm seeing less and less tigers these days outside panzerstorm, I'm not seeing them do well. I feel for the tiger tank, if it's not me harassing/destroying them with auto rounds etc, it's several other things, and then they pop.

They deploy smoke but with all the spotting, like with my spec and their size, with auto cannons esp. You often hit them through their own smoke easy, they can't get away as they are giant snails. Smoke clears and they are history.
  • spartanx169x
    703 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    At least half the matches I play, nobody makes any effort to take out tank. They just drive from one objective to the next looking for people to kill.
  • lolingbuffalo
    Imo they should put in some sort of speed boost specialization. Something like the bayonet charge where you have 2x speed for x seconds and then the engine has to recover for a few seconds. And have that recharge without having resupply at a depot.
  • WinterWarhurst
    bran1986 wrote: »

And all it takes is one shot to often have you crippled desperately trying to reverse before your surrounded and overwhelmed. But hey, tanks are fine, they just camp too much.

Yep, and a PIAT can do 44 damage frontally if it hits your track on a medium, because apparently repeatedly hitting the track wheel counts as a perfect side shot multiplier.