So called "camping" is a consequence of the weapon balance

0SiGHT0
455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Far too many weapons in this game have a laser accurate long distance engagement. Every recon weapon, every bipod weapon except the new SMG, every Assault's semi-automatic rifle. The complaints about "camping" are because the best weapons DICE has provided are literally telling people to sit back and camp. The SMG's, while improved, are still meant for close quarters (and only a few faster firing ones are even worth using), and fully auto assault rifles attempt to emulate the typical all around weapon, but get outclassed by every other aforementioned weapon at longer distances. And of course, with these weapons comes the placement of players on parts of maps that gives them the definitive edge against the enemy.

If you want real weapon balance without randomized spread/suppression, look to Bad Company 2 for a guide on how class and weapon balance can be in Battlefield. Yes, this implies making the recoil on semi-auto assault rifles much higher, removing the bipod altogether, and extending the damage of the SMG's further to put them in line with other weapons (continuing to reduce the recoil/spread is just egregious, if anything it should be increased when they do this damage change). The only thing wrong is the shotguns that were made overpowered in the last weapon balance patch, but of course DICE could not change this further as the game was done being worked on and they moved to Battlefield 3.

Bad Company 2 had thoughtful weapon balance from a DICE team that actually knew what they were doing. It would probably be wise if EA/DICE rehired the people that used to work for their firm and give them whatever they want to revitalize their franchise, but that is another conversation.

Comments

• YourLocalPlumber
    2564 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I would love to see Dice remove bipods entirely. That would've been so great.
  • karcyon
    292 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I agree. Weapon balance, especially between classes is worse than ever. I would support higher recoil too. What I not agree on is making the range of SMGs even longer. They are close quarters weapons. Just give medics other weapons that are more in line with the other classes.
  • SirTerrible
    1523 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The slower pace of BFV is the result of many things combined I think. Weapons being laser accurate, 3x scopes being widely available, TTK, visibility, map design, class balance, attrition, stuff like that. It's not just one thing that is making it slower imo.
  • karcyon
    292 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The slower pace of BFV is the result of many things combined I think. Weapons being laser accurate, 3x scopes being widely available, TTK, visibility, map design, class balance, attrition, stuff like that. It's not just one thing that is making it slower imo.

Yep, there are many (poor) design decisions that make the game what it is and go against a lot of what people loved in the previous BF titles.
  • 0SiGHT0
    455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    karcyon wrote: »
    I agree. Weapon balance, especially between classes is worse than ever. I would support higher recoil too. What I not agree on is making the range of SMGs even longer. They are close quarters weapons. Just give medics other weapons that are more in line with the other classes.

You would obviously give them recoil accordingly. For example, the UMP and XM8 Compact in Bad Company 2 are great example of weapons that can kill at range but are very clearly SMG's.