Why doesn't anyone use spotting flares?

Comments

• Kevang039
    108 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I've used the spotting flare quite a few times on an objective, racked up 2 or 3 thousand points, exposed the enemy position and captured a flag o saw at least 100 deaths occur trying to cap it.

I'll take easy points anytime.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The flare is actually useful now, but it still doesn't suit the recon weapons. It has a short deployment range, so you need to be close to the objective and thus the enemy.

Meanwhile your weapons on recon are inferior at close ranges.
  • Catsonspeeed
    612 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    SirBobdk wrote: »
    As a pilot I'm always amazed when I see 5-7 snipers on my team and only maybe 1 or none are spotting. Its like they are stock in their scope or dont even know flares or spotting scope exists.

They are probably just afraid that someone might steal their kills. And then they are killed themselves, and because they never spotted the enemy, he's now free to finish off this idiots team mates as well.
  • fakemon64
    898 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Even with the buff, the spotting scope can still easily outspot the flares imo.
  • bigiain
    269 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The scope does seem more effective than the flare, even with the buff. Unless you're defending a flag with a supply station, you'll be out of flares very quickly. The ammo supply crate is nonexistent compared to the pouches. In a lot of cases, the supply station will be a bad spot for a sniper rifle, ether you'll have no view or be an obvious target.

The scope is like magic, especially once you have a bit of map knowledge.
  • biketankbob
    85 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I seem to spot more enemies with the scope. Also helps me to spot enemies to kill., and I think it helps the team more. I need all the help I can get.
  • Noodlesocks
    2783 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Not many recons at the range where flares would be useful. Their weapons don't really support that kind of play like they did in BF1.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 28
    fakemon64 wrote: »

The spotting scope is more effective than the flare for spotting - true.

The flare is still incredibly useful regardless. It's meant for a different sort of playstyle than using the spotting scope. With the spotting scope you need to sit back at a distance to really use it due to its very high magnification.

The spotting flare on the other hand is meant more for assaulting objectives. Which it is absolutely amazing for now that they've fixed it. The problem is recon doesn't have great weapons for assaulting objectives and getting in CQB fights. And thus hardly anyone will use the flares because it doesn't suit the rest of your loadout.

No gadget is stronger than the flare for assaulting or defending an objective. The spotting scope in such cases is limited by line of sight and its high magnification.
  • Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sorry, but I've gotten too used to the scope to go without it anymore. Unlimited ammo, immediate spotting for my team when I highlight an enemy or, has a rangefinder, perfect no-glint companion to my regular scope.

Flares just are not worth it in this title.
  • eMartinez
    173 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Skitelz7 wrote: »
    Because most people don't know about the huge noob buff.

Recon is by far the most difficult class (possibly the only difficult class) to use well in this game, and you're calling it a noob buff. My word.
  • pointmanjeff
    61 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Because my spotting scope spots guys camping behind walls from an objective over. It's ridiculous how well this thing works. And I'll usually attack with a pistol and throwing knifes. I really need to try these flares though.
  • olavafar
    1942 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    fakemon64 wrote: »

The spotting scope is more effective than the flare for spotting - true.

The flare is still incredibly useful regardless. It's meant for a different sort of playstyle than using the spotting scope. With the spotting scope you need to sit back at a distance to really use it due to its very high magnification.

The spotting flare on the other hand is meant more for assaulting objectives. Which it is absolutely amazing for now that they've fixed it. The problem is recon doesn't have great weapons for assaulting objectives and getting in CQB fights. And thus hardly anyone will use the flares because it doesn't suit the rest of your loadout.

No gadget is stronger than the flare for assaulting or defending an objective. The spotting scope in such cases is limited by line of sight and its high magnification.

@Sixclicks basically got it right. Flares are for men (and bold women), the scope are for the others (aka snipers, hill humpers etc).
  • Hawxxeye
    5380 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Simple
    Their weapons niche does not go well with the range of the flares.
    Only very team oriented players such as myself will ditch the rifle to try to maintain constant flaring over an objective
  • Johnny__Rogueps3
    74 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I wish more people used them around the objectives. It makes life so much easier. Now if we can only get our hands on a reliable weapon to use in close quarters. In bf1 at least we had the 1903 experimental. The throwing knives are good, but it takes to long to pull them back. Not to mention they randomly get thrown when you run over terrain that is uneven.
  • Hawxxeye
    5380 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I wish more people used them around the objectives. It makes life so much easier. Now if we can only get our hands on a reliable weapon to use in close quarters. In bf1 at least we had the 1903 experimental. The throwing knives are good, but it takes to long to pull them back. Not to mention they randomly get thrown when you run over terrain that is uneven.
    currently the only way around this is to pick up the first STG or KE7 from the ground that you can find
  • joshua_andrewxp
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I like the other classes more & it's exclusive to recon so I'm not interested in it
  • Skitelz7
    925 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Even though I despise spotting as a concept overall, when I'm recon you can be guaranteed that I'm lighting up the map for you. Play your role.

I'm also completely against any type of spotting.
    My dream Battlefield game is one that has none.
  • wiazabi
    483 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Are people serious about spotting scope being better than Flare? or is it sarcasm or is it just people who do no understand to aim it up above where you want it to be and instead they just hit buildings or aim into the ground and look at the tiny area and go it sux!

Spotting scope only covers the cone of what you look at and is only able to spot the people you can actually see.

Flare
    Pros's
    • Huge area and can pretty much cover entire cap area's
    • Do not need line of sight to spot people in area.
    • No active requirement fire and forget vs active spotting with scope
    Con's
    • Limited ammo 1 - 2
    • Range is limited

How do you use it good?

If you are defending in say Breakthrough is enemies on point ? if yes toss a flare above the point if no then save the flare.

If you are attacking are your team on or near point ? if no save flare if yes pop flare above point.

Are there easy supply nearby for more flares, ammo crate of any type then use em more as you get new ones easily, Breakthrough Amsterdam one of the simplest yet useful thing you can do if defending is to stay near the crate at start point and pop flares between the buildings (North of A point) where attackers often go through so you can pretty much keep a flare up both there and direction from where they spawn (West of A point) with good up-time.

The only real downside i see to flare is you only have 1-2 of em but considering how useful they are at pushing objectives i really question why anyone would use the spotting scope unless they camp at edge of map.

Playing aggressive recon is still possible with bolt head shots and MK VI revolver after its unneeded buff is a very good cqb weapon with 1 shot headshot up to 12m, also the ability to plant spawn beacon + access to smoke grenades provide excellent pushing, the spec that allows you to spawn on friendly beacons also provide a very good mobility option for rest of your squad.

Point is regardless of class try to look at everything you have access to and see how you can use those things to help the team and a bonus for doing so will give you much better scores.
  • Kattegat_Twin
    760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    @Skitelz7 That's called hardcore my friend. And yeah, we badly need it.
  • patchkid67
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I aggressively recon (not a sniper), and the flare helps more than the scope when you're near an objective because it spots through barriers. I can see players inside houses, bunkers, whatever - the scope can only spot what's in your visible line of sight.

Just remember the correct use of the flare. So many people I see shoot them level or at the ground... you shoot them INTO THE SKY.