Weekly Debrief

Wow.. breakthrough!!

Comments

• waxena
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    utterly and nerving game mode for me. wish we could chose between game modes in the tides of war to complete tasks... yet another task that makes me want to throw this game in the bin. i don't like game modes being shuved in my face... what is even the point of trying to capture a overcrowded enemy camp on a hill without enough cover opportunities? i don't even enjoy popping of soldiers as a defender. It's just aim and shoot... The only somewhat enjoyable map is Rotterdam because there is some cover.
    I do enjoy the game when i can play what i want.
  • montreal961
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I cant stand Conquest anymore in Battlefield since about BF3. It's just so stale. If it weren't for gamemodes like Breakthrough and Frontlines, I would have stopped playing BF a while ago.

Im gad DICE keeps coming up with, and supporting, new gamemodes.
  • Niebaum666
    98 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What an epic game mode! I am a CQ fanboy but figured I try this game mode.. it’s nothing short of epic ruthlessness!!

First game I finished 87 to 10 deaths as infantry, medics actually revive its incredible!!

On Xbox iframerates go through the toilet..

But boy oh boy I love this mode each map is flank city!

They only revive because of one of the ToW assignments. Enjoy it while it lasts
  • UsainskiSemperFi
    529 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 31
    i hate it, i give chance to that mod many times ,and 9 out of 10 it was one sided gameplay, flawless victory or just the opposite full stalemate. Not to mention the FPS drops.
  • tamatem13
    156 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 31
    I almost exclusively play breakthrough.
    As a person who comes from bf1, I wish in bf5 they would have multiple maps (with 4-5 sectors each) all in one operation (like bf1).

Grand operation is a bad, disjointed mode! (Nothing epic about it)
  • ProAssassin2003
    3447 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 31
    I like the Mode but if you're on a Team of Zombies it's a Bad time.

Went 85 and 13 last night just camping with MG42 and got a 12 banger with the V1 also.
  • KingsportCowboy
    167 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Anyone know if the Crucible is bugged? It doesn't seem to be counting for a friend and I. The description is kinda vague.
  • Noodlesocks
    3057 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's a fun game mode and should replace Conquest Assault for all maps going forward.

Scratch that. Operations in BF1 was a fun game mode. Breakthrough in BF5 just exacerbates the balance issues present in the game.
  • VincentNZ
    3199 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    We are usually a stoic bunch, but this day really got on my nerves. You are basically an idiot playing medic, smoking and advancing. The smart choice is to play anything else and stay back until these idiot medics have cleared the flag and lying on the objective with their guts hanging out. Then you advance and sun yourself in the glory of having taken a point. Man, I really want to whip the guy, who invented this mode from Hamada to Narvik. Now that is a mode I would pay for.
  • grrlpurple
    824 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'd rather pull my own teeth than be forced to play breakthrough just to unlock ToW content 😬
  • AhoyDrogon
    273 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I can't play BF5 at all right now. No matter the game mode, something happens, the game freezes and I get booted to desktop...I haven't finished a game since Monday because of this
  • ITS_BOB_GNARLY
    2190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I really don't want to play other game modes, I don't know why DICE is trying to force it.

I'll probably just give this weeks ToW a miss.
  • alienstout
    680 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Good on most of the maps, except Fjell and Hamada. Fjell because that map is just crap. Hamada because the spacing is weird.
  • Chubzdoomer
    1397 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 31
    Just another meatgrinder mode that greatly restricts how you can play the game. Not a fan.

Restricts by making you play a contested objective.

People that don't like modes like Frontlines and Breakthrough are typically the types that only cap uncontested flags in conquest and then brag about their SPM.

I don't even mean it that way.

Restricts you by way of:
    - A much, much smaller play area
    - Far fewer vehicles (barely any at all; it doesn't even feel like Battlefield)
    - Forced to either attack or defend, rather than making that decision yourself
    - Only two objectives with 64 players, which results in an inevitable cluster-you-know-what and drastically reduces your overall number of options
  • TFBisquit
    1716 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Some maps are truly bad, and breakthrough confirms that.
    In contrast with other views, I liked Hamada for this mode, most other maps are a one sided story.
    Fjell and Narvic are terrible.
  • Loqtrall
    12031 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I absolutely can't stand it, and it reinforces my desire for DICE to stop centering ToW events around playing one game made. I haven't liked attacker/defender modes in any game, let alone BF.
  • Pelliy
    2228 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I like breakthrough. It's really the only games I like bf1 version is better and feels more immersive but this one is fair
  • theONEFORCE
    2843 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    TFBisquit wrote: »
    Some maps are truly bad, and breakthrough confirms that.
    In contrast with other views, I liked Hamada for this mode, most other maps are a one sided story.
    Fjell and Narvic are terrible.

Hamada could be one of the best Breakthrough maps if it weren't for the first two sectors being so unbalanced towards defense. After you get past that its the only one that feels as epic as Operations in BF1. Most of the other maps seem like Breakthrough was an after thought.
  • GeneralXIV
    265 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Tbh, I dont like Breakthrough. This sounds a weird thing to say, but the maps feel too spread out while everything else feels too close together. It might be the fact that you have so many people trying to attack so few objectives, but it just doesnt work for me.

I honestly think I dont like any game mode except for conquest. In conquest I feel free to use whatever class and weapon I want while I take objectives but I feel really restricted in other game modes in both my class/weapon choice and the way the objectives are set. I dont generally like attacker/defender mechanics, like in Galactic Assault in Battlefront II. All that kind of mechanic does is highlight map biases imo

The Assault really seems to be the only is useable class in Breakthrough from what Ive played. As a Medic, you get outgunned by Assaults and Supports, and you dont have the range to combat the horde of recons inevitably shooting at you. As the support, you can outgun medics and assault but are pretty vulnerable to vehicles... recon is a little undecided. As a recon, you get outgunned by assaults, medics and support and have no ability at all to combat vehicles. The Assault class with a semi-automatic rifle can generally match the recons at most distances and contend with the medic and the support at medium-close range and you can destroy vehicles.

If it wasnt for the clothing this week, I wouldnt even attempt the challenge. Im tired of the TOW challenges forcing me to play game modes I dont find fun. I can say outright I wont be trying the frontlines challenges next week because I find it so repetitive and boring. Breakthrough is slightly better than Frontlines, but I still dont enjoy it. I really wish that they would make objectives you could complete no matter what game mode you choose, and that didnt rely on your squad/team (like wins, calling of reinforcements, etc). I would prefer objectives I can complete myself in a game mode I enjoy, but eh.

Also, a question: is the challenge that asks you to capture an objective within 2 minutes in Breakthrough actually possible? It doesnt seem like it is.
  • Corrupt_be
    231 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    kjgregoire wrote: »
    Breakthrough is great on arras or twisted steel. It’s a fun game mode if you get the right maps.

That's kind of BFV's issue, map X is fun on Y gametype but is boring/bad on other ones. Another reason to have rented servers: the ability to set mixed game mode map rotations.