Suggestion to fix suppression [suggestion]

MrFnordles
9 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited February 2019
We all know the ancient hatred between scouts and support.

In BF1 and BF4 supports are able to effectively "stunlock" their suppressed targets due to infinite and random bullet spread.

In BFV, the tables are turned, with suppression doing nothing (in terms of actual suppression), often allowing "suppressed" snipers to immediately return a headshot.

I think it's safe to say that both of these situations are unfair and that a good compromise must be made, so that the integrity of both classes are kept.

My idea is that upon being suppressed, one gains both a large increase in sensitivity (well beyond user controls) as well as a decent amount of sway. The beauty in this is that albeit difficult, a seasoned BF veteran would know how to respond to this situation, and PERHAPS be able to return sufficient fire; just as a seasoned war veteran would better understand suppression with experience.

This compromise would both allow support to provide one of its essential duties, as well as allow skilled players to experience and master a new skill gap. Sniper players of course value skill, and having the bragging rights of being able to return fire upon suppression could be pretty cool. :)
Post edited by LOLGotYerTags on

Comments

• kjgregoire
    116 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I always wondered what it meant when I suppressed someone. I myself have never experienced being suppressed.

As support I will sometimes take pot shots at distant targets. Oftentimes hitting them. This will light them up for my own teams snipers and 3x scopers to kill. I honestly thought that was what suppression was.

Your idea is interesting but it’s just more of the same I think. Red Orchestra had your vision blur for like 1/4 of a second for each bullet that travels close to you. Nobody complained about that. Idk. Ireallydk
  • MrFnordles
    Yeah see, in BF4 and BF1 (maybe 3 too) suppression causes the enemy's gun to have outrageous spread, which understandably infuriated a lot of people (aiming right on target but bullets shooting off in random directions)
  • MrFnordles
    kjgregoire wrote: »
    I always wondered what it meant when I suppressed someone. I myself have never experienced being suppressed.

As support I will sometimes take pot shots at distant targets. Oftentimes hitting them. This will light them up for my own teams snipers and 3x scopers to kill. I honestly thought that was what suppression was.

Your idea is interesting but it’s just more of the same I think. Red Orchestra had your vision blur for like 1/4 of a second for each bullet that travels close to you. Nobody complained about that. Idk. Ireallydk

The point of suppression is exactly that, to suppress them. Basically allows you to pin down a pesky sniper etc while your team advances (if you don't kill him in the process)
  • javawockyPS
    80 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    But thats the problem, it doesnt pin anyone. I cant count the amount of times ive laid into a sniper and get 99dmg but he can take aim and pop me. Surely suppression should at least throw off his aim?
  • MrFnordles
    That's my point! Lol.
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1505 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TTK is really low as is and if you miss your shots you deserve to die. Period.
  • MrFnordles
    TTK is really low as is and if you miss your shots you deserve to die. Period.

Actually, the function of suppression can be quite useful tactically, for example if there are enemies behind a door which you need to keep pinned inside, you lay down suppressive fire to keep them there until your team arrives, or so that they can't cap an objective, etc... it's not all about hitting the target with support.
  • Triplexbee1943
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    This iteration is screaming out for the return of suppression in one form or another. Good shout op.
  • MrFnordles
    edited February 2019
    But thats the problem, it doesnt pin anyone. I cant count the amount of times ive laid into a sniper and get 99dmg but he can take aim and pop me. Surely suppression should at least throw off his aim?

I just now realized that you've only played bf1. (I'm new here) you must be doing it wrong. My favorite gun for suppressive play is MG15 NA suppressive. If you have decent target acquisition then you can bounce from target to target, dealing damage and basically pestering the enemy to keep them preoccupied. Yesterday I completely shut down the Echo objective entrance to Fao Fortress on operations as defender on my own by swimming across the river and setting up on the mesa. Run with the ammo pack and make sure to be fairly far from the action. Remember, suppressive role isn't about kills, it's about SUPPORT! :)
  • TacticulBacon
    301 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    MrFnordles wrote: »
    In BFV, the tables are turned, with suppression doing nothing (in terms of actual suppression), often allowing "suppressed" snipers to immediately return a headshot.

I think it's safe to say that both of these situations are unfair and that a good compromise must be made, so that the integrity of both classes are kept.

I'd say that situation sounds pretty fair, considering the sniper actually hit the player while the support didn't.

In any case, landing your shots instead of blindly spraying in their general direction is a pretty effective way of taking care of snipers, you should practice that instead of relying on a game mechanic to make things "fairer" for you.
  • MrFnordles

I'd say that situation sounds pretty fair, considering the sniper actually hit the player while the support didn't.

In any case, landing your shots instead of blindly spraying in their general direction is a pretty effective way of taking care of snipers, you should practice that instead of relying on a game mechanic to make things "fairer" for you.

As many people have pointed out, the main issue is INABILITY to kill snipers due to instant retaliation upon being struc. Even when all bullets are connecting, 3 or 4 in and you're sniped. Must be nice to be invincible!
  • MrFnordles
    Especially if as support you come up against multiple scouts. As soon as one shoots/at you or you at him, it is likely that other scouts in the area will turn their attention to you. Some kind of defense, ie suppression is needed to keep from invariably losing to scouts regardless of your skill.
  • Dr_X2345
    774 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    There should definitely be some effect, but I don't think the suppression from previous titles is a good idea as it basically removes any element of skill because no matter how good/quick your aim is, your bullets will just go flying off in random directions.
    I think some kind of visual effect might be alright. Maybe some sort of sway effect and for snipers the removal of the steady scope mechanic but your bullet will go where your crosshair is, so it's not impossible to return fire but it is harder to do so accurately.
  • Austacker
    444 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019
    Yeah see, in BF4 and BF1 (maybe 3 too) suppression causes the enemy's gun to have outrageous spread, which understandably infuriated a lot of people (aiming right on target but bullets shooting off in random directions)

I assure you, the fact that I can be smashing a sniper position with over 900rpm of Machine Gun fire only for them to laugh and one shot me from any range is SERIOUSLY ticking off the MMG playerbase.

MMGs are a JOKE in this game now. NO ONE fears the MMG. NO ONE runs from it when it's opened on their position.

We have crap aim & spread, no scopes, cannot suppress and cannot insta kill anything.

it's not just Snipers laughing as they one shot kill us, EVERYONE can just laugh and take us out.

MMGs are not to be feared in Battlefield 5.

MMGs have ONE practical role in this game. To lock down, hold a position and effectively defend it.

Does it though? Nope. There's a number of weapons that can do that same thing - except better.

The only thing the MMG is supposed to be doing, it's rubbish at doing.

That's why MMGs 'needed' Suppression in Battlefield - to be actually effective at it's role.

The fact it's a joke now that Suppression has been removed just proves that it's been crippled to effectively do it's job.

Everyone who runs and guns / snipes LOVES the fact Suppression is gone... not because it's all about 'skill' now, but because it's basically made the MMG useless on the Battlefield.

As I said, no one fears it anymore. They scorn the 'campers' who use it (because that's about the only way you can use it to any effect at all now).

The thing is, to actually make the MMG effective at it's one, single role, no one actually wants. Everyone's loving the fact MMGs suck in Battlefield now.

Free kills!
  • javawockyPS
    80 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I just now realized that you've only played bf1. (I'm new here) you must be doing it wrong. My favorite gun for suppressive play is MG15 NA suppressive. If you have decent target acquisition then you can bounce from target to target, dealing damage and basically pestering the enemy to keep them preoccupied. Yesterday I completely shut down the Echo objective entrance to Fao Fortress on operations as defender on my own by swimming across the river and setting up on the mesa. Run with the ammo pack and make sure to be fairly far from the action. Remember, suppressive role isn't about kills, it's about SUPPORT! :)

Lol your the second person to say that. Im a BFV player, no idea why it isnt reflected on my profile here
  • Austacker
    444 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019
    Especially if as support you come up against multiple scouts. As soon as one shoots/at you or you at him, it is likely that other scouts in the area will turn their attention to you. Some kind of defense, ie suppression is needed to keep from invariably losing to scouts regardless of your skill.

The MMG literally has one role to play in this game. Suppress the enemy and lock down a defended position.

It's absolutely useless at that.

As mentioned several times now, the MMG kills one and then gets down a second later by either another scout or a zerg.

No one fears the MMG because everyone knows it's ineffective.
    • It's only function is to kill things, yet it's not best in slot at any range.
    • It's the only weapon in the game that requires you to be fixed, prone and bipod deployed
    • It's the only weapon in the game that is useless on the move with hipfire and a joke on ADS
    • It's the only weapon that overheats in the game.
    • MMGs have no scopes at all.

No other class has to stand still to be accurate.
    No other class has to drop and prone to use their gun effectively

Snipers can ADAD strafe and one shot kill you, even if you're shooting first and peppering their position. They can head glitch you and you can't do a damn thing in response.

It's a JOKE.

The reality is, no one wants Suppression back because it's the only mechanic that actually made MMGs effective at their role.

Right now, the MMG only gets to do it's job properly if it's used from a dark corner and taking out one of a zerg that's not watching corners.

The MMG is not feared at all anymore. You open up on a group no one runs for cover. No one hits the dirt. They all aim and shoot at you because you're not best in slot at any range, you cannot suppress them and if they're 'more skilled' with accuracy, you lose - every time.

MMGs are nerfed in every facet of the run and gun gameplay this game promotes. It's design mechanics basically have it with a big red arrow over the head saying 'BIG BAD MACHINE GUN HERE, BEWARE!' - except people don't run or fear a MMG position, do they? They just complain when a 'camping' MMG takes them out from a corner they can't see, because if it's a head to head confrontation, the MMG gets smashed, every time.

MMGs have been gimped to absolute redundancy in this game, but because the leading 'strategy' in this game is the zerg rush, no one actually wants to see it fixed.

MMGs are for the masochists and die hards only.
  • asadqureshy
    127 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    When getting suppressed, your screen should become blurry of your weapon should have extra recoil/ sway.

Dont know why this was removed.
  • Austacker
    When getting suppressed, your screen should become blurry of your weapon should have extra recoil/ sway.

Dont know why this was removed.

Because the Snipers and Run and Gun players don't want their aim impacted when under Machine gun fire.

Has nothing to do with realistic representation, it's about appeasing the vocal majority who just want a COD style Battlefield experience.

It's gutted the character that made the Battlefield game Battlefield, which is why you see so much lamentation that this Battlefield is such a stale and sterile experience.

But the players wanted COD with tanks.

So they got COD with tanks.

Enjoy.