Can we get a new map... or two?

Comments

• danosta
    430 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Give us maps now!!!
  • JUJAMAKILL
    331 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019
    Yes I agree, more maps are needed asap. Although what really peeves me, is the trend of 'New Maps' coming out and everyone gets excited, yet they are limited to certain game modes.. Yay, way to ruin the hype train.

I really dig playing Grand Ops, so when they finally announced the newest map (Panzerstorm) I was excited to play on it. However, this is not an option. So more or less, those of us that do like Grand Ops didn't 'actually' get a new map, and are still stuck with the original map rotation since release.

I get it, not everyone likes to play Grand Ops, but IMO if a new map is being advertised to be released, it should be available across ALL game modes... Anything less is just poor customer service and sheer laziness.
  • suffice_ls
    492 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I sincerely hope that EA/Dice will deliver many new quality maps in next 8-12 months.

Let's place a bet now....I bet: No more than 4 new maps (including Panzystorm) in 2019.

BTW, Remember....1 new map-at-a-time once every x-amount of months is bent because 1 new map isn't gonna rejuvenate the game. Either you go through a whole map rotation to play on the new map, or you back out everytime to go find another match on it. This sucks.

Man, this time 5yrs ago I would've been rinsing China Rising, getting ready for Second Assault :'(:'(:'(

• Loqtrall
    12468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Lol I wonder how many people forgot it took DICE 6 months to release one map pack for bf1, and that was paid dlc. Wtf do people expect out of a free dlc model? Does nobody recognize its essentially the same with every other free dlc live service fps out there like RSS, OW, H5, etc?
  • suffice_ls
    492 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    Lol I wonder how many people forgot it took DICE 6 months to release one map pack for bf1, and that was paid dlc.

What I wonder is why it was such a different story with BF4 compared to BF1....

China Rising was out 1 month after release....by the time I bought BF4, I already had a new map pack waiting for me.

Second Assault was out 2 months later....with Naval Strike 1 month after that! Then 3-month gaps between the last two map packs.

• Loqtrall
    12468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    suffice_ls wrote: »
    Lol I wonder how many people forgot it took DICE 6 months to release one map pack for bf1, and that was paid dlc.

China Rising was out 1 month after release....by the time I bought BF4, I already had a new map pack waiting for me.

Second Assault was out 2 months later....with Naval Strike 1 month after that! Then 3-month gaps between the last two map packs.

Could be attributed to the fact that map design and tech are immensely more detail oriented in BF5 and bf1 in comparison to bf4 released almost 6 years ago. Hell, those two games use photogrammetry tech that wasn't even present in games before BF1. Not to mention some of BF4s maps, like pearl market, are insanely small and consist mostly of inaccessible buildings, and others like naval strike maps are mostly water and mere landscape with a few scattered buildings. Not to mention one entire map pack and a free dlc map in BF4 were remakes from older games.
  • suffice_ls
    edited February 2019
    Edit: Double Post.
    Post edited by suffice_ls on
  • suffice_ls
    edited February 2019
    Could be attributed to the fact that map design and tech are immensely more detail oriented in BF5 and bf1 in comparison to bf4 released almost 6 years ago. Hell, those two games use photogrammetry tech that wasn't even present in games before BF1. Not to mention some of BF4s maps, like pearl market, are insanely small and consist mostly of inaccessible buildings, and others like naval strike maps are mostly water and mere landscape with a few scattered buildings. Not to mention one entire map pack and a free dlc map in BF4 were remakes from older games.

So overall, they need to go back to weighing out the Easy Wins against the Costly Losses. I mean, standing there and marvelling at exactly how beautiful and detailed a map is is not something that the average guy/wamen is gonna jump into the game for -- I refuse to believe it until research studies prove otherwise. Movement and in-game events are usually so fast paced and distracting that the effort that went into BFV's map detail is a waste.

Sure, any map in BFV is more beautifully rendered than your Zavods, your Paracels, Dragon Passes etc, but the point is: It's pointless that they are. Any map in BF4, remastered or not, is far more than good-looking enough -- If their supposed lack of presentational fidelity is the trade off for quantity and frequency of release, then screw BFV even further. Love them or hate them, there aren't even Levolutions in BFV (though I am fully aware that there weren't Levolutions in BF4's DLC maps either).

As far as your point about Pearl Market goes...that's pretty much the story for maps like Rotterdam...only Rotterdam doesn't have the rooftop access that Pearl Market had....Then there's the plain and simple flat field that is Panzerstorm.

As for Naval Strike, sure, that 1 map with the crashed plane in the middle was lazy, but the others had stuff like warehouses and docks inside of mountains etc.

But anyway, I've said this a few weeks ago: I wouldn't be surprised if most of the DLC maps we get are remasters...which would surely make sense....perhaps if the complaints increased, that would actually happen.
  • Loqtrall

So overall, they need to go back to weighing out the Easy Wins against the Costly Losses. I mean, standing there and marvelling at exactly how beautiful and detailed a map is is not something that the average guy/wamen is gonna jump into the game for -- I refuse to believe it until research studies prove otherwise. Movement and in-game events are usually so fast paced and distracting that the effort that went into BFV's map detail is a waste.

Sure, any map in BFV is more beautifully rendered than your Zavods, your Paracels, Dragon Passes etc, but the point is: It's pointless that they are. Any map in BF4, remastered or not, is far more than good-looking enough -- If their supposed lack of presentational fidelity is the trade off for quantity and frequency of release, then screw BFV even further. Love them or hate them, there aren't even Levolutions in BFV (though I am fully aware that there weren't Levolutions in BF4's DLC maps either).

As far as your point about Pearl Market goes...that's pretty much the story for maps like Rotterdam...only Rotterdam doesn't have the rooftop access that Pearl Market had....Then there's the plain and simple flat field that is Panzerstorm.

As for Naval Strike, sure, that 1 map with the crashed plane in the middle was lazy, but the others had stuff like warehouses and docks inside of mountains etc.

But anyway, I've said this a few weeks ago: I wouldn't be surprised if most of the DLC maps we get are remasters...which would surely make sense....perhaps if the complaints increased, that would actually happen.

Well it is the game DICE wants to make. If thier vision for BF is leaning more toward immaculate visuals, I don't think thier own personal standard for their own game franchise should be abandoned for the sake of map development times.

BF5 so far is in line with other shooters that have free dlc. This release schedule we're seeing should not have been surprising for anyone, and definitely wasn't surprising for a lot of us already. I've gone through free dlc in Overwatch, Titanfall 2, SWBF 2, Rainbow Six Siege, Halo 5, you name it - and they all have this "release one map per 5-6 months with random spatterings of content i between".

Statistically, BF5 still has a faster dlc weapon release rate than BF1 did with paid dlc - having already released over 4 dlc weapons in 2 months, faster than BF1 could release in 6, and that type of content will consistently be flowing in between map releases.

Not that I'm a proponent of free dlc, I actually hate it. Ultimately in the end the premium system would provide an amount of content at the end of a BF game's life cycle than the free dlc system ever would.
  • suffice_ls
    edited February 2019
    Not that I'm a proponent of free dlc, I actually hate it. Ultimately in the end the premium system would provide an amount of content at the end of a BF game's life cycle than the free dlc system ever would.

Our common ground.

I just think that quantity vs quality (in this case, visual quality) is something that shifts its balance....in the context of Battlefield in particular, quantity wins -- but obviously not if the maps look like crap and were brainlessly designed and end up being nonsensical cluster****s.

We'll see how this turns out over the next 2 years.
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1401 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BF1 taking 6 months for the first DLC drop in comparison to BF4 has nothing to with the "increased detail". They simply didn't have the developers allocated to BF1 to hasten the development of DLC. When BF1 was released Star Wars Battlefront 2 was going to be released that next fall. They took some BF1 developers and had them help finish the Battlefront 2 game since a huge part of its success would be timing it before the release of The Last Jedi. They couldn't afford to delay that game. The DLC schedule for BF1 was so far behind, they had to make a sale on BF1 and premium to lessen parasitic loss from Battlefront 2, and this was before the second DLC was even released. Oh and it also took 5 months after release to add clan tags.

Why is BFV taking so long for new maps? Simple. They needed all hands on deck to make BFV work well enough for a solid launch after the one month delay. You have the TTD issue, you have the company coin issue, all these things hold up developers that could have been working on something else. One of smart things EA did this time around knowing full well not all the components of the game will be completed at launch is follow this live service model where, a lot of things are, "coming soon", it's not missing, it's just not "time", for it yet. You can tell the developers were pressed for time looking at the less critical features that are not included in the game. No service stars for weapons or vehicles, dogtags that have 0 inspiration behind their incredibly simplistic design( also there's only a front side, no back side), simplistic UI with mediocre design etc. My prediction is that this game will almost look unrecognizable a year from now when more content is added..
  • JosephCr1984
    169 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I sincerely hope that EA/Dice will deliver many new quality maps in next 8-12 months.

Let's place a bet now....I bet: No more than 4 new maps (including Panzystorm) in 2019.

BTW, Remember....1 new map-at-a-time once every x-amount of months is bent because 1 new map isn't gonna rejuvenate the game. Either you go through a whole map rotation to play on the new map, or you back out everytime to go find another match on it. This sucks.

Man, this time 5yrs ago I would've been rinsing China Rising, getting ready for Second Assault :'(:'(:'(

I wouldn't take that bet, because I fear that you are probably right.

At the very least, if they won't churn out a significant number of quality maps under the new service model, I would hope they could at least give us modes like Squad Conquest imagined on the full rotation of maps. They could certainly use the same map twice in at least two cases for that, just different objectives.

Thanks for the input. I will try to remain optimistic.
  • suffice_ls
    edited February 2019

I will try to remain optimistic.

Do that, @JosephCr1984....because:
    My prediction is that this game will almost look unrecognizable a year from now when more content is added..

I can imagine that.

I don't like to talk positively or optimistically about BFV because I hate the game for many reasons (the least of which revolve around bugs/glitches), but I'd be fraudulent with my convictions if I didn't admit that I reckon that perhaps in a year, this game may be something different to what it is now.

• cylon0
    203 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DaMutha1 wrote: »
    This was 100% predictable with "live service." SWBF2 got 2 new maps and 1 old recycled map in like a year and a half.

Ouch! That truly blows.
  • tamatem13
    159 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Didn't they say there is a new grand operations coming out with the latest Jan update?
    I believe it was supposed to be a mix of Arras and panzerxxx (whatever the name is).
    I did not see any new grand ops on the server lists
  • BaronVonGoon
    7057 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Could be attributed to the fact that map design and tech are immensely more detail oriented in BF5 and bf1 in comparison to bf4 released almost 6 years ago. Hell, those two games use photogrammetry tech that wasn't even present in games before BF1. Not to mention some of BF4s maps, like pearl market,

Such a fun map.
  • Deulcore
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    danosta wrote: »
    Absolutely we need more maps now and not just one in March. What do you expect when you're getting it for free.

I paid £70 pounds for bf5 its hardly for free
  • CaptainHardware
    303 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    tamatem13 wrote: »
    Didn't they say there is a new grand operations coming out with the latest Jan update?
    I believe it was supposed to be a mix of Arras and panzerxxx (whatever the name is).
    I did not see any new grand ops on the server lists

A new grand operation is due this chapter of tides of war and that's been on the roadmap since it was released in November, but this chapter runs until the start of march and it's not out yet. Rush mode is also due this chapter.
  • YaDig07
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    For all those that cried about paid DLC you reap what you sew. You were all told this and very few of you listened. Thanks just thanks.

Lol cut the crap. The end of paid DLC had nothing to do with complaints and more to do with EA trying trying to get in good graces after the embarrassing BF2 debacle. Who do you people think you’re fooling?
  • American_Outlaw
    61 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I would be happy at this point if DICE removed Fjell and Hamada from the rotation, took those files, stuffed them in a barrel full of C4 and detonated it!! This game seriously needs more "playable" maps... No wide open sniperfest maps or funneled bomber maps ughhhhh...